[APP] Who's Near Me (Mobile Geo-Proximity Social Networking)

Search This thread
Hello everyone,

We have released a free new Windows Mobile application called Who's Near Me. In a nutshell, this application uses GPS (or cell tower info if no GPS) to determine your location and then displays other users that are nearby you - along with their photo, age, gender, and bio. You can then start an anonymous message conversation with anyone on the list. It uses your data connection only so you are never charged for any text messages.

The application is still considered beta but has already been in closed testing for a few weeks. Most major issues should be resolved at this point. We plan to add it to the Microsoft Marketplace for Mobile as a free application in the next few weeks - at which point we expect the number of active users to increase substantially. A Windows Phone version (with additional functionality) will also be available at the launch of the WP7 platform.

The application is free (100% free, no advertisements even), small, and pretty cool. You can download the latest version of the application from our website as a cab file directly to your phone at http://www.synergetechsolutions.com/whos-near-me.aspx. The download link is pretty clearly located to the right of the page title. I have also uploaded the current release's cab file to this post. This current release is focused for touch devices and no testing has been done with non-touch phones. Windows Mobile 5.x and 6.x are both supported. The Microsoft .Net Compact Framework 2.0 is required on the device.

Since the application is in beta, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. You can either use the feedback form in the application or post your feedback to this forum post.

Thanks,

Brian P. Hamachek
President & CEO
SynergeTech Solutions

Attachments

• people-nearby.jpg
    people-nearby.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,418
  • editing-your-profile.jpg
    editing-your-profile.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,100
  • message-conversations.jpg
    message-conversations.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • WhosNearMeBeta.CAB
    598.2 KB · Views: 1,524
Last edited:

kwill

Jun 15, 2006
Austin, TX
Cool app. If you all can get everyone to adapt and use this program, it could become it's own personal social network giant. Kind of like speed meeting:D

thepolishguy

Dec 3, 2009
Ivanhoe CA
Who's near me?

Well - I still don't know. Heard about the app from 1800pocketpc. But so far, can't get it going. Downloaded from the dev's website. It says it was installed correctly. Then when I open it it says, "Connecting to service..." and it just goes around and around without ever connecting.

I wonder if it is because I live in a rural area (Boron Ca 93516) without very good cel coverage? Bc I thought I read it works to position you through cel towers.

I have no idea. Wanted to test it. But no luck so far.

JayceOoi

Nov 9, 2009
Crash after view SynergeTech user profile. Fail to connect to server then.
Using HTC HD2. ;)

MichelDiamond

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 6, 2009
started good,chatted a little bit.also notified by answers.

then after a while, I tried to answer again and app crashed. restart didn't work "profile error"
After soft reset my hd2 was very slow.no background process to see.restart still failed.
reinstall takes no effect.sometimes it crashes to answer, afterwards profile error.

but the app is young and a great idea.

please add options to switch off/on gps localization and use cell manually.
the footprint/cpu usage is quite high and noticeable on hd 2...

sended also report by app, but crashes afterwards...

keep up good work! thanx

xTmDarren

Dec 2, 2007
Kannapolis, NC
Mine also just stops and get stuck on the Connecting to service... on my touch pro 2.. great concept though.. Cant wait to get a working version.

josh90265

Nov 20, 2008
Same thing here. Gets stuck at the connecting screen. ...On TP
Will be waitin for the app to start working...

Thanks for all of the feedback. As I stated, this application is still a beta release. We have just published a major update though and the issues some of you were having should be resolved at this point. The application is picking up popularity in Europe so it is definitely worth taking a look at if you live there. Here are the changes that this update include:

• Substantially redesigned the user interface (see attached screenshots)
  • Added a settings screen - including filters for narrowing down the nearby people list
  • Added support for showing distances in either Kilometers or Miles
  • Added ability to "delete" messages in order to reduce clutter
  • Fixed local timezone bug on messages list.
  • Added terms and conditions consent screen.
  • Fixed geo-locating issues for some locations.
  • Added auto-update (with a confirmation prompt) feature.
  • Fixed issue that caused profile to revert to showing age 13
  • Many, many, many performance/bandwith enhancements
  • Many, many, many minor cosmetic and usability improvements

Overall, the application is much more usable now. We hope to get it into the Marketplace for Mobile as soon as possible - which is when it should really get intresting.

You can learn more here: synergetechsolutions.com/whos-near-me.aspx

I have attached the latest cab file for the application to this post.

Thanks!

Attachments

• people-nearby.jpg
    people-nearby.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 169
  • message-conversations.jpg
    message-conversations.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 147
  • editing-your-profile.jpg
    editing-your-profile.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Jed Dignazio

May 15, 2008
Latest beta still is not working on my Sprint Tp2. I hit agree to terms and conditions page and gets stuck there now. Would like to give this a try..:mad:

Check and see if there is a file called "WhosNearMeLog.txt" in your My Documents (or Personal) folder on the device. If an error is occuring during connecting, it should be logged there. Please send me that file and I will diagnose the issue for you and either fix it in our software or let you know how to resolve it on your end. Thanks.

MichelDiamond

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 6, 2009
at first: it's an app, which it free and a beta - soo I appreciate your efforts and don't mind in any way if something doesn't work.
just want to say thank you!

now the result if new cab:

it can't connect to service.
I installed it to internal storage and switched on wifi.
but no way to start it.

I saw... you rely on wwe ... and I have german rom. so I didn't found it in startmenü (= start menu) and had yoi start it in /storage card/programme (not programs or program files)
perhaps the .cab lacks the international parameters like %ce1% or %ce11% ?
or inside app is a wwe-path hardcoded?

here's my log:
--------------------------------------------
12.05.10 23:09:32
System.FormatException: FormatException
bei System.Double.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider)
bei SynergeTechSolutions.WhosNearMe.Client.WinMobile.SplashScreen.StartApplication()
bei SynergeTechSolutions.WhosNearMe.Client.WinMobile.SplashScreen.timer1_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Timer._WnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationThreadContext._InternalContextMessages(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
bei Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterMainLoop(IntPtr hwnMain)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm)
bei SynergeTechSolutions.WhosNearMe.Client.WinMobile.Program.Main()

Shum97

Feb 13, 2010
Works on Hd2:)

Just testing it now, works well. Thanks.. Found 28 people and nearest person is 48 miles away

I saw... you rely on wwe ... and I have german rom. so I didn't found it in startmenü (= start menu) and had yoi start it in /storage card/programme (not programs or program files)
perhaps the .cab lacks the international parameters like %ce1% or %ce11% ?
or inside app is a wwe-path hardcoded?

I will look into this. The application is currently being used primarily by users located in Germany (due to a popular German website writing about it) and I haven't heard of this problem yet so not sure why it isn't showing in your start menu.

I installed it to internal storage and switched on wifi.

Someone else reported that the application would not run when installed on a storage card. They reinstalled in the device's main memory and it worked for them though. The application isn't excessively large (around 1MB) so hopefully this will be a suitable workaround for you. This will be addressed in hopefully the next release though.

Wish there were more people using it though (of course). Nearest person to me is 3000+ miles away...hahaha

Obviouslly, this application's value really won't show until a fairly substantial userbase has been established. I am actually fairly encouraged by the number of users that the application has established already though. I was expecting hopefully 50 users would help beta test the application. In reality, the application has had well over 1,500 users try it in just the last 48 hours. Our goal is to add the application to the Microsoft Marketplace for Mobile as a free download once the bugs have been eliminated - hopefully sometime in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully, that exposure will be enough to get the number of users high enough to make the application intresting. Microsoft has also expressed intrest in helping promote the application.

I created a story on Digg about the application. Feel free to Digg it at http://digg.com/d31Qx8J. If it gets enough Diggs, that would really help to get the word out there about it as well.

Thanks!

Jed Dignazio

May 15, 2008
Check and see if there is a file called "WhosNearMeLog.txt" in your My Documents (or Personal) folder on the device. If an error is occuring during connecting, it should be logged there. Please send me that file and I will diagnose the issue for you and either fix it in our software or let you know how to resolve it on your end. Thanks.

Thanks,
I have tried installing to sd and main memory with no luck. I get past the connecting to service page, but after i hit agree on the terms and conditions page it just gets stuck there. I dont have "WhosNearMeLog.txt" anywhere on the device.
Thanks again for your ongoing support.

Well, that is what beta tests are for, right? :)

Jdignazio, please let me know if this updated version works for you.

Version 0.4 BETA (Released on 5/13/2010)
- Fixed issue that prevented connection from devices set to a locale that uses a comma before decimal digits (Example: 4,77 rather than 4.77)
- Redesigned profile picture selection screen and also added functionality to use phone's camera to take a new photo for usage as the profile photo
- Fixed issue where deleted message conversations would return upon the next launch of the application​

http://www.synergetechsolutions.com/whos-near-me.aspx

Last edited:

hindibuff

Dec 25, 2006
Still no go on a HTC TP2 on Sprint. Retried installing the new version in main memory.

Some suggestions:

Please add a version number to the name of the file.

Please add autocheck.autoupdate feature in the program once it is run.

thanks and keep up the good work.

blwebb68

May 6, 2007
Seattle
Who's near me APP

Tried it seems to be working pretty good here in Seattle. No one even remotely close to me and plus they all dudes.....bummer:(

Chastiser

Jan 22, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
seems to work fine for me, installed and running from the storage card on my HD2. using vodaphone as a supplier.

nearest person is 33 miles away from me, and i live in hemel hempstead in the UK.

Mike