[HOW-TO][GUIDE] ANY app FLOATING and RESIZABLE MULTI-WINDOW revised

Search This thread

psycho4us4

Mar 30, 2012
Yorba Linda, CA
This should work for any 4.1.2 rom for the note 2 that has a working Xposed installer and MULTI-WINDOW capabilities.

THIS IS FAR FROM PERFECT

I have been wanting to make my device float and resize any app. I didn't put too much effort into it until recently. I finally got the settings down to make this possible.
Please keep in mind some apps (especially stock ones) don't like to be resized so they will almost become unusable if they are resized to small, this is one of many reasons why I previously said that this is far from perfect. On the plus side at least it will let you do ANY app !!!!

I used NEXT LAUNCHER PRO for this cause it supports MULTI-DPI a lot better than TW does, but you don't have to it will still work with TW but it makes some of the drawables look weird.

INSTRUCTIONS:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO A CWM OR TWRP BACKUP AND VERIFY THE BACKUP WAS DONE PROPERLY BEFORE YOU CONTINUE

1: Install XPOSED INSTALLER V. 2.4 from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401
Thanks to @rovo89

2: Install XPOSED APP SETTINGS V. 1.6 from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2072081
Thanks to @Tungstwenty

3: Install XPOSEDMULTIWINDOW240.APK from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2048668
Thanks to @Scalee

Thanks to anyone I may have forgotten

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO PROPERLY INSTALL THE FRAMEWORK, APPSETTINGS.APK, AND MULTIWINDOW240.APK BEFORE YOU CONTINUE

Once the above are installed and working properly as per the instructions in the OP's of the DEV's mentioned above, you can continue:

At this point REBOOT your phone just to be sure all the installations and settings stuck. Open Multi-Window and add an app to it just to make sure everything works properly so far.

Open the App Settings App in your app drawer, should look like the one in this picture:

2013-09-16070132_zpsc57e7759.png

Search for and open Android System, should look like the one in this picture:

2013-09-16070039_zps8ffc159a.png

At the top there is an ON/OFF slider (as seen in picture below), slide to the right to turn ON.
Then, CHANGE the DPI to 240, and the Screen (dp) to 800x1280 (also seen in same picture below).

2013-09-16070010_zpsd256bf72.png

At the top there is a save button, now is the time to hit that, a pop-up will show that says:
Apply Settings: Also kill the application so when it's relaunched it uses the new settings? Click YES
Immediately press and hold the power button to REBOOT.
After REBOOT open the App Settings App in your app drawer again and search for com.sec.android.app.FlashBarService, should look like the one in this picture:

Screenshot_2013-09-16-22-44-34_zps2bd78745.png

At the top there is an ON/OFF slider (as seen in picture below), slide to the right to turn ON.
Then, CHANGE the DPI to 240, and the Screen (dp) to 480x854 (also seen in same picture below).

Screenshot_2013-09-16-22-44-58_zpsdea29190.png

At the top there is a save button, now is the time to hit that, a pop-up will show that says:
Apply Settings: Also kill the application so when it's relaunched it uses the new settings? Click YES

All done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to learn how to succesfully make any app that is added to your FlashBar, FLOATING, RESIZABLE.

Turn on MULTI-WINDOW and INSTEAD of dragging out the first app, just CLICK on it and it will open in full screen, It doesn"t look like it now but this will be your first floater lol.
Next drag any random app (like settings or something) out of the FlashBar and drop it.
Now you will notice at the top of the first app that was added to the MULTI-WINDOW now has a PIN on the top left.
Click on the PIN to make it GREEN , FLOATING and RESIZABLE now. To move it grab it by top near the center and pull it around. To resize grab the edge of the left, right, or bottom side and resize.
Next, touch the random second app that is now full screen and hit the back button once and it will go away.

Now with the floater at the bottom, open FlashBar again, find the next app you want to FLOAT, and once again just CLICK on it and it will open in full screen,
next drag any random app (like settings or something) out of the FlashBar and drop it again.
Now you will notice at the top of the first app that was added to the MULTI-WINDOW now has a PIN on the top left.
Click on the PIN to make it GREEN , FLOATING and RESIZABLE. To move it grab it by top near the center and pull it around. To resize grab the edge of the left, right, or bottom side and resize.
Next, touch the random second app that is now full screen and hit the back button once and it will go away.

Do you see a pattern now, do for any and as many apps you want open at once.

Also after you make an app floating you can press the pin again and watch the pin turn GREY and the app will stay floating in the background instead of foreground.

GREEN pin = app floating in foreground.

GREY pin = app floating in background.

When all said and done you should be able to do this with any app:

Screenshot_2013-09-16-22-35-11_zps46d6ce3b.png

PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!

The above mentioned module called XPOSED APP SETTINGS is a wonderful tool for changing individual apps to make them visually fit your liking. Everything I talk about in the next few paragraphs is in direct relation to XPOSED APP SETTINGS.

NOW FOR A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE

Screen density
The quantity of pixels within a physical area of the screen; usually referred to as DPI (dots per inch). For example, a "LOW" density screen has fewer pixels within a given physical area, compared to a "NORMAL" or "HIGH" density screen.

Font Scale
The size of the font in the amount of pre-allocated space; measured by percentage.

Resolution
The total number of physical pixels on a screen; usually known as Screen (dp).

Xlarge Resolution
extra large resolution

Locale
This allows you to change the language of any app individually; without changing your whole system to a different language.

Fullscreen
Force the app into fullscreen mode while hiding the status bar that is easily accessible by pulling down on the top of the screen.
Prevent the app from going into fullscreen mode. Keeps status bar on screen while the app is open.

No Title
Removes title bar from app. Every app I chose this for force closes so don't mark my words.

Keep Screen on
This will NOT let your screen turn off while the app is on the screen unless you hit the physical power button.

Show when phone locked
Leaves app open in the foreground of the lock screen while app is open and on the screen

Orientation
The ability to change whether an app opens (portrait or landscape). The dropdown consists of
(default app rotation). Uses whatever the default orientation that is already written into the app
Normal rotation = Will rotate screen normally
Always portrait = The ability to FORCE the app into portrait mode ONLY
Always landscape = The ability to FORCE the app into landscape mode ONLY
Force auto-rotation = The ability to FORCE the app to auto-rotate (will edit after tested).

Resident
Keeps any app in memory (running in background).

Insistent Notifications
Insistent notifications repeat their audio, vibration, and light settings continuously until canceled. These Notifications are typically used for events that require immediate and timely attention; such as an incoming call or the ringing of an alarm clock.

No BIG Notifications
Makes the app notification in the notification dropdown smaller, like a small preview instead of the normal show everything notification.

Permissions
Allows you to revoke permissions from any app of your choice.

If you've come this far than you probably know that some apps look like they might be sized bigger or smaller than other parts of the phone.

That's because the system doesn't change the DPI and Screen (dp) automatically with some/most apps.

After all the changes, the GALLERY app title bar is too big, meaning the DPI did not auto adjust. In order to make everything fit in the title bar you have to lower the DPI to anything lower than 240 for THIS app ONLY.

Every app will need it's own custom setting in order to get it the way you want it. Please DO NOT post that this exact setting did not work for any other app cause it MAY or MAY NOT. Consider yourself warned

AFTER SEEING THIS THREAD IMAGINE THE POSSIBILTIES

Check out this post for more cool settings and results.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45722669&postcount=234

Please, feel free to change your settings up a LITTLE or ALOT and feel free to fill up this thread with awesome pictures and configurations.

PLEASE DO NOT POST A PICTURE WITHOUT A FULL CONFIGURATION LIST LIKE BELOW PLEASE
PHONE MODEL: example T889
ROM:example JEDI MASTER
KERNEL: example SABRE
CONFIG: example dpi=240, screen dp=800X1280, font scale=100, etc..., etc..., etc...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION

HOW TO DISABLE XPOSED APP SETTINGS

Being that this MOD is not perfect, sometimes you might need to disable Xposed App Settings if something goes wrong (example: I made a change to an app that I didn't like, after reboot I went to change the settings back and noticed the app didn't show up in Xposed App Settings, even after several reboots).

TO FIX THIS:

Go to XPOSED INSTALLER in your app drawer (some roms like jedi master have the xposed installer built into a custom app like jedi tricks app that @ptmr3 made for his roms) anyway once in the installer, click on MODULES at the top right corner, then uncheck the box next to XPOSED APP SETTINGS.

NOW REBOOT. You will notice that all the Xposed App Settings aren't enabled anymore.

Then go back to your Xposed App Settings app and find the app you had problems with, that started this disable process.

Now change the settings back to a known good configuration. DON'T FORGET TO SAVE before exit.

Immediately go back to your XPOSED INSTALLER, click on modules and recheck the box next to XPOSED APP SETTINGS to renable it.

NOW REBOOT AGAIN

If you followed the instructions given, properly you should have everything back to the way it was before the problem occurred.

@Fictionles made a HOW-TO make floating Windows minimize. Go check it out and give him thanks here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46385342#post46385342

PLEASE REMEMBER TO HIT THAT THANKS BUTTON

I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR DEVICE

Last edited:

ytj87

Jul 16, 2009
Works perfectly on Tweaked 2.4.1.

Now to try connecting this via HDMI to a 1080p monitor and, using a bluetooth mouse and KB, make this a portable PC.

psycho4us4

Mar 30, 2012
Yorba Linda, CA
Works perfectly on Tweaked 2.4.1.

Now to try connecting this via HDMI to a 1080p monitor and, using a bluetooth mouse and KB, make this a portable PC.
I'm on master 16 with sabrekernel 35.6 with the ext2 system data and cache mod.
All of this is amazing with these .phones. I will be finally getting an mhl adapter in the near future. They aren't expensive.

ytj87

Jul 16, 2009
I hadn't looked into Master too much because of the lack of multiwindow, but read in the dev thread that it was working past a certain version. So multiwindow (and this thread's particular mod) does indeed work on 16 for you?

psycho4us4

Mar 30, 2012
Yorba Linda, CA
I hadn't looked into Master too much because of the lack of multiwindow, but read in the dev thread that it was working past a certain version. So multiwindow (and this thread's particular mod) does indeed work on 16 for you?
This was done and tested on master 16 with sabrekernel 35.6 and the ext2 system, data, and cache mod. Confirmed. I'm waiting for a response from my brother in law that has an att note 2 with the same set up on whether it worked for him or not.

sshafranko

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
This is awesome gonna try tonight. Thanks bro. Got this link from the saber 32.2uc kernel thread you posted in.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Ash359

Nov 30, 2012

I can confirm Master 16 has multi window. As did master 14.

Not to mention those screenshots are proof as well :)

Sent from my Jedi Master Galaxy Note II

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
Works perfect here. Only thing i noticed is on my lockscreen the icons are tiny like in the flashbar. Thanks for this awesome work

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
Just saw this too. It changed my power menu. Ill post a ss if you need.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This should work for any 4.1.2 rom for the note 2 that has a working Xposed installer and MULTI-WINDOW capabilities.

THIS IS FAR FROM PERFECT

I have been wanting to make my device float and resize any app. I didn't put too much effort into it until recently. I finally got the settings down to make this possible.
    Please keep in mind some apps (especially stock ones) don't like to be resized so they will almost become unusable if they are resized to small, this is one of many reasons why I previously said that this is far from perfect. On the plus side at least it will let you do ANY app !!!!

I used NEXT LAUNCHER PRO for this cause it supports MULTI-DPI a lot better than TW does, but you don't have to it will still work with TW but it makes some of the drawables look weird.

INSTRUCTIONS:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO A CWM OR TWRP BACKUP AND VERIFY THE BACKUP WAS DONE PROPERLY BEFORE YOU CONTINUE

1: Install XPOSED INSTALLER V. 2.4 from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401
    Thanks to @rovo89

2: Install XPOSED APP SETTINGS V. 1.6 from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2072081
    Thanks to @Tungstwenty

3: Install XPOSEDMULTIWINDOW240.APK from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2048668
    Thanks to @Scalee

Thanks to anyone I may have forgotten

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO PROPERLY INSTALL THE FRAMEWORK, APPSETTINGS.APK, AND MULTIWINDOW240.APK BEFORE YOU CONTINUE

Once the above are installed and working properly as per the instructions in the OP's of the DEV's mentioned above, you can continue:

At this point REBOOT your phone just to be sure all the installations and settings stuck. Open Multi-Window and add an app to it just to make sure everything works properly so far.

Open the App Settings App in your app drawer, should look like the one in this picture:

2013-09-16070132_zpsc57e7759.png

Search for and open Android System, should look like the one in this picture:

2013-09-16070039_zps8ffc159a.png

Then, CHANGE the DPI to 240, and the Screen (dp) to 800x1280 (also seen in same picture below).

2013-09-16070010_zpsd256bf72.png

After REBOOT open the App Settings App in your app drawer again and search for com.sec.android.app.FlashBarService, should look like the one in this picture:

Screenshot_2013-09-16-22-44-34_zps2bd78745.png

Then, CHANGE the DPI to 240, and the Screen (dp) to 480x854 (also seen in same picture below).

Screenshot_2013-09-16-22-44-58_zpsdea29190.png

All done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to learn how to succesfully make any app that is added to your FlashBar, FLOATING, RESIZABLE.

Turn on MULTI-WINDOW and INSTEAD of dragging out the first app, just CLICK on it and it will open in full screen, It doesn"t look like it now but this will be your first floater lol.
    Next drag any random app (like settings or something) out of the FlashBar and drop it.
    Click on the PIN to make it GREEN , FLOATING and RESIZABLE now. To move it grab it by top near the center and pull it around. To resize grab the edge of the left, right, or bottom side and resize.

Now with the floater at the bottom, open FlashBar again, find the next app you want to FLOAT, and once again just CLICK on it and it will open in full screen,
    next drag any random app (like settings or something) out of the FlashBar and drop it again.
    Click on the PIN to make it GREEN , FLOATING and RESIZABLE. To move it grab it by top near the center and pull it around. To resize grab the edge of the left, right, or bottom side and resize.

Do you see a pattern now, do for any and as many apps you want open at once.

Also after you make an app floating you can press the pin again and watch the pin turn GREY and the app will stay floating in the background instead of foreground.

GREEN pin = app floating in foreground.

GREY pin = app floating in background.

When all said and done you should be able to do this with any app:

Screenshot_2013-09-16-22-35-11_zps46d6ce3b.png

PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!

The above mentioned module called XPOSED APP SETTINGS is a wonderful tool for changing individual apps to make them visually fit your liking. Everything I talk about in the next few paragraphs is in direct relation to XPOSED APP SETTINGS.

NOW FOR A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE

Screen density
    The quantity of pixels within a physical area of the screen; usually referred to as DPI (dots per inch). For example, a "LOW" density screen has fewer pixels within a given physical area, compared to a "NORMAL" or "HIGH" density screen.

Font Scale
    The size of the font in the amount of pre-allocated space; measured by percentage.

Resolution
    The total number of physical pixels on a screen; usually known as Screen (dp).

Xlarge Resolution
    extra large resolution

Locale
    This allows you to change the language of any app individually; without changing your whole system to a different language.

Fullscreen
    Force the app into fullscreen mode while hiding the status bar that is easily accessible by pulling down on the top of the screen.
    Prevent the app from going into fullscreen mode. Keeps status bar on screen while the app is open.

No Title
    Removes title bar from app. Every app I chose this for force closes so don't mark my words.

Keep Screen on
    This will NOT let your screen turn off while the app is on the screen unless you hit the physical power button.

Show when phone locked
    Leaves app open in the foreground of the lock screen while app is open and on the screen

Orientation
    The ability to change whether an app opens (portrait or landscape). The dropdown consists of
    (default app rotation). Uses whatever the default orientation that is already written into the app
    Normal rotation = Will rotate screen normally
    Always portrait = The ability to FORCE the app into portrait mode ONLY
    Always landscape = The ability to FORCE the app into landscape mode ONLY
    Force auto-rotation = The ability to FORCE the app to auto-rotate (will edit after tested).

Resident
    Keeps any app in memory (running in background).

Insistent Notifications
    Insistent notifications repeat their audio, vibration, and light settings continuously until canceled. These Notifications are typically used for events that require immediate and timely attention; such as an incoming call or the ringing of an alarm clock.

No BIG Notifications
    Makes the app notification in the notification dropdown smaller, like a small preview instead of the normal show everything notification.

Permissions
    Allows you to revoke permissions from any app of your choice.

If you've come this far than you probably know that some apps look like they might be sized bigger or smaller than other parts of the phone.

That's because the system doesn't change the DPI and Screen (dp) automatically with some/most apps.

After all the changes, the GALLERY app title bar is too big, meaning the DPI did not auto adjust. In order to make everything fit in the title bar you have to lower the DPI to anything lower than 240 for THIS app ONLY.

Every app will need it's own custom setting in order to get it the way you want it. Please DO NOT post that this exact setting did not work for any other app cause it MAY or MAY NOT. Consider yourself warned

AFTER SEEING THIS THREAD IMAGINE THE POSSIBILTIES

Check out this post for more cool settings and results.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45722669&postcount=234

Please, feel free to change your settings up a LITTLE or ALOT and feel free to fill up this thread with awesome pictures and configurations.

PLEASE DO NOT POST A PICTURE WITHOUT A FULL CONFIGURATION LIST LIKE BELOW PLEASE
    PHONE MODEL: example T889
    ROM:example JEDI MASTER
    KERNEL: example SABRE
    CONFIG: example dpi=240, screen dp=800X1280, font scale=100, etc..., etc..., etc...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION

HOW TO DISABLE XPOSED APP SETTINGS

Being that this MOD is not perfect, sometimes you might need to disable Xposed App Settings if something goes wrong (example: I made a change to an app that I didn't like, after reboot I went to change the settings back and noticed the app didn't show up in Xposed App Settings, even after several reboots).

TO FIX THIS:

Go to XPOSED INSTALLER in your app drawer (some roms like jedi master have the xposed installer built into a custom app like jedi tricks app that @ptmr3 made for his roms) anyway once in the installer, click on MODULES at the top right corner, then uncheck the box next to XPOSED APP SETTINGS.

NOW REBOOT. You will notice that all the Xposed App Settings aren't enabled anymore.

Then go back to your Xposed App Settings app and find the app you had problems with, that started this disable process.

Now change the settings back to a known good configuration. DON'T FORGET TO SAVE before exit.

Immediately go back to your XPOSED INSTALLER, click on modules and recheck the box next to XPOSED APP SETTINGS to renable it.

NOW REBOOT AGAIN

If you followed the instructions given, properly you should have everything back to the way it was before the problem occurred.

@Fictionles made a HOW-TO make floating Windows minimize. Go check it out and give him thanks here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46385342#post46385342

PLEASE REMEMBER TO HIT THAT THANKS BUTTON

I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR DEVICE
    Nicely done on the how-to OP! Great layout, good depth of instructions - great share, keep it up!
    Have fun. Oh ya and some apps don't require reboot for changes to take effect. Some not all.

Screenshot_2013-09-18-17-56-09_zpsfa10b9c4.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-17-56-40_zps9f68dd79.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-17-56-19_zps9610f2f1.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-17-57-14_zps306d065f.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-17-57-03_zpse9c5078e.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-17-57-47_zpscf56bd19.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-17-57-41_zps99c064c0.png

2013-09-18202647_zpsa9e50617.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-17-58-02_zps928f2dcb.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-18-00-23_zpsfee69286.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-17-58-48_zpsa599fa1b.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-18-00-54_zpsa44270e0.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-18-00-39_zps8ec491b9.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-18-01-47_zps670341f5.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-18-01-33_zps84c14401.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-18-02-15_zpsd97ccda2.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-18-02-02_zps18077c1c.png

Screenshot_2013-09-18-20-39-33_zpscb6a0042.png
    Awesome huh?

Took some tinkering but finally got a good setting for me anyway. May not work for you but I like it like this.

Screenshot_2013-08-18-16-57-06_zpsf27cf9e3.png

This is my settings to accomplish the above picture.
    Screenshot_2013-08-18-16-57-49_zpsae18da01.png
    o ok then lol what were u trying to say i didnt understand "So smooth is only aroma installer is easy. When it ask s what you want to back up. System and data. Same goes for restore" that part...

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

ok so does the aroma work? and am i reading right that i can either do a 28 step way or do the aroma 4 step ? oops jus read closer.. aroma then for the data and cache i need to start at step 10...
    I was saying the mod makes the phone so smooth. Always have a verified twrp/cwm backup. Follow the op instructions on how to setup twrp settings after that flash his aroma installer titled ext2inizer.zip.
    First it asks if you want to use the stock kernel. I selected no because I use sabrekernel. It also asks what partitions you want to backup. System and data. It also asks what partition you want to restore. Again system and data. It'll say how do you want to format, ext2 or ext4. Then install and reboot. To check it go back to twrp click mounts. Only Mount system data and cache. Hit the back button. Click advanced.
    Click terminal emulator. At the bottom right click select then type mount and hit ok. If it worked system data and cache will say ext2. Clear enough. I love that Thanks button