Can we run Sony Liveware on the Gear?

Search This thread

Esparoba2

Feb 18, 2013
Hi there,

While playing around with some apps and the Gear i noticed that the Sony Liveware app is able to connect with the Gear. To my surprise it connect without a hitch and the Gear is detected as a smartwatch by the app!

However, after that there isn't much to do with the Liveware app, probably because there is no corresponding app on the Gear to interact with.
This made me wonder: what if we could sideload the necessary apps on the Gear that communicates with the Liveware app?
In *theory* this could give the Gear a lot of extra things to play around with.

It's probably not a simple as it sounds but it's worth a try i guess. I'm afraid i can't test this out since i'm my knowledge of the advanced working of Android is nonexistent. Any developer around that would be so kind to test this :laugh: ?

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Hi there,

While playing around with some apps and the Gear i noticed that the Sony Liveware app is able to connect with the Gear. To my surprise it connect without a hitch and the Gear is detected as a smartwatch by the app!

However, after that there isn't much to do with the Liveware app, probably because there is no corresponding app on the Gear to interact with.
This made me wonder: what if we could sideload the necessary apps on the Gear that communicates with the Liveware app?
In *theory* this could give the Gear a lot of extra things to play around with.

It's probably not a simple as it sounds but it's worth a try i guess. I'm afraid i can't test this out since i'm my knowledge of the advanced working of Android is nonexistent. Any developer around that would be so kind to test this :laugh: ?

What is liveware exactly.. I'm intrigued.

Is it some sort of sony smartwatch manager of some sorts ?

Esparoba2

Feb 18, 2013
What is liveware exactly.. I'm intrigued.

Is it some sort of sony smartwatch manager of some sorts ?

With the proper extensions (available via Sony or third party dev's in the Play Store) it is able to manage "smart devices" (as Sony calls them).
These include the Sony Smartwatch devices, wireless headphones and headsets.

Since i'm a new poster around here i'm not able to post links yet, but if you search for "Smart Connect (LiveWare™ Mgr)" in the Play Store you will find it.
In the related apps section are various extensions that add functionality to these smart devices.

rachaelslp

Jan 2, 2011
I was just looking up all the apps for the smartwatch and there are plenty. Could we download these and push the apk with adb? This would add some nice functions for unrooted gears.