Making good on a promise

Search This thread

mustangtim49

May 20, 2011
Sea of Tranquility, Moon
Yeah, I've bricked every time. Thank god for nvflash, it's fighting a little harder than expected. So far the closest we've got is it finally booted from sd, but it ended up bricking. The devs tell me that we're getting close. Sorry for being Mia all weekend, they haven't sent me a new version yet. It was pretty cool being booted to bionix then pressing a button and seeing morfics boot on phoenix blood, it will work that simply when it does work. I'll keep you posted.
OK, I asked the devs if they would entertain speaking with one of the g2x devs. I'm waiting for an answer now. If they say yes, which one of you devs wants to do this? I'm afraid I'm losing their interest because they don't have a g2x of their own. They said they need to watch the logcat during a boot. If any of you devs are interested pm me or email me at artifintelacs@gmail.com, thanks!
They'll go for it, said they'll even provide keys. Whoever is interested and thinks they can help, get in touch with me, thanks!
Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Last edited:

mustangtim49

May 20, 2011
Sea of Tranquility, Moon
No, a couple of devs answered early on, then nothing. I think ICS fever takes precedence at the moment. There's so many rom choices right now, this app would be the shizz. I tried messing with it a couple days ago with no luck. If any devs are interested, just contact them directly, they are cool, down to Earth guys. Sorry everyone that I am not making good on the promise. I tell you the devs and I worked for weeks trying to get it working. Booting from the SD card is a small miracle, the problem lies with the path or mount of the SD card, it changes between roms. The same thing is the cause for your computer seeing your g2x on one rom and not on the next. Anyone that thinks they can help email me or the devs at Init2Winit apps. Thanks everyone for not hating, I've been afraid to look here figuring I'd leave in flames. So again, thanks!

artifintel@ACSyndicate.net

Last edited:

mustangtim49

May 20, 2011
Sea of Tranquility, Moon
Still working on it

Hey everyone, artifintel here, I know it has been a long time and for that I'm sorry. I just wanted to update everyone to what is going on. I have asked for some help from Team Hellfire and I have passed test copies off to them. Now, don't forget, there's still a lot of CM9 hype, so, time is at a premium for good Devs. I have faith in these boys, everyone else should to. Thanks everyone for being patient and not flaming me out:cool: Don't forget to hit those boys Thanks buttons:D I wouldn't mind if you hit mine, I'm trying:eek:

da-pharoah

Mar 24, 2009
Seacoast near Joppa
# mmcblk0p7 = /data
# mmcblk0p1 = /system
# mmcblk0p2 = /cache
# mmcblk0p8 = /emmc (internal SD)
# mmcblk1 = /sdcard (external SD)

this help?

btw, these *are* slightly different than the p990 (o2x) so make sure to differentiate.

Sorry I was slow in responding, I've been fiddling with TouchPads all day...
so since I have been learning this info myself.. I saw a slight discrepancy... This is what my last_log says so it was incorporated into Volk's Nullifier:

G2X Partition Info
# 0p7 = /data
# 0p1 = /system
# 0p2 = /cache
# 0p5 = boot partition
# 0p8 = /emmc
# 1p1 = /sdcard

edit
from the log itself:

0 /tmp ramdisk (null) (null)
1 /recovery emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 (null)
2 /boot emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 (null)
3 /cache ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (null)
4 /data ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 (null)
5 /sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /dev/block/mmcblk1
6 /emmc vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 (null)
7 /system ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (null)

edit 2:
Here is the list of partitions by size as per Casper and TeamWhiskey:

Steps to recreate partitions.

Partition 1
n
p

First Cylinder start 129
First Cylinder stop 55168
We will repeat this for partitions 2 and 3
Partition 2
n
p

Start 55169
Stop 63360
Partition 3
n
p

Start 63361
Stop 63616
On to partition 4 which will be extended (this is the last partion you will choose primary or extended)
Partition 4
n
e

Start 63617
Stop 975424
Now onto partition 4-8 which are automatically selected as logicall partions (no option is given)
Partition 5
n
Start 63681
Stop 64704
Partition 6
n
Start 64769
Stop 65088
Partition 7
n
Start 65153
Stop 261760
Partition 8
n
Start 261825
Stop 975424

now mind you this above quoted data is for internalSD but could be used as an example for extsd just in case they were curious and wanted matching sizes....

Last edited:

MWBehr

Oct 11, 2010
Corpus Christi
so since I have been learning this info myself.. I saw a slight discrepancy... This is what my last_log says so it was incorporated into Volk's Nullifier:

G2X Partition Info
# 0p7 = /data
# 0p1 = /system
# 0p2 = /cache
# 0p5 = boot partition
# 0p8 = /emmc
# 1p1 = /sdcard

Do you have to specify partition 1 for block 1 if there's only one partition on the block? I'm, of course, making the assumption that there is only one partition for the sdcard.

da-pharoah

Mar 24, 2009
Seacoast near Joppa
Do you have to specify partition 1 for block 1 if there's only one partition on the block? I'm, of course, making the assumption that there is only one partition for the sdcard.
idk.. maybe.. if they are just using 1 instead of 1p1... android is picky and that could be the difference of brick or not...

edit:

ok so just doing research and found this nice little narative about it and thought it will be useful once this app is up and fully running. Since im like burning through so many threads this is going to be a little compilation of helpful info for later use to make this a great thread with lots of helpful. These bits of info dont include the threads I bookmark..lol but this will help in due time.

So here's a very basic description of how it works... It doesn't partition your SD card, it just creates a folder of it's own, and then sub-folders to hold the different roms you install. When you install a rom, it basically creates images of the usual Android partitions - system, data, cache, etc. These are standard .img files, just like the ones Clockwork creates when you do a backup. After the images are created and wiped (formatted, which you should do initially) it installs your rom into these essentially the same way as Clockwork installs a rom to your phone's actual partitions. I assume it modifies the kernel that comes with each rom to mount the image files on the SD card instead of the phone's partitions.

When you want to boot a rom, it just replaces your current boot image with the modified one and restarts the phone. With the modified boot image, the system, data and cache images on the SD card are mounted to the correct locations and Android starts up none the wiser. The rom will initially run a little slow, because the SD card is slower than the internal memory, but after things get cached it speed up considerably.

When you want to reboot to another rom, or back to the phone's rom, Boot Manager again swaps boot images that mount the desired rom's partitions (in the case of the phone's rom) or files (in the case of an SD card installed rom).

When you first run Boot Manager, it makes a Clockwork flashable backup of your current boot image, which you can flash if a rom hangs or loops on startup. Alternatively, you can also simply boot into recovery and do an advanced restore, choosing just the boot image to restore from a backup. It accomplishes the exact same thing.

It can be a little hit or miss, with some roms just plain refusing to start through Boot Manager, but it does work and when it does, it's pretty amazing given what it's actually doing. ***this was quoted from here

Besides checking "force large boot.img", also make sure to check "screen on during install" in boot manager settings. You also need to disable logging in the settings of superuser. It was suggested to me and seems to work, use ext2 instead of ext4 as long as boot manager detects ext2 for the rom you want to install to a slot. ***taken from here

Boot into recovery, choose Install zip from sdcard>BootManager>phoneROM>update.zip

Now reboot your phone, it should work. ***taken from here

This is an interesting thread: [Kernel/Tool] Boot Manager for X10 {v2.0}[Dt:10/Jan][FOR UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS ONLY]

Guys if it's failing to make the boot.img first make sure your using the market version....others have released cracked versions of our app which they broke...if your using the actual market version just send me a pm or email support@init2winitapps.com and send your log.txt from BootManager folder on sdcard and we'll get it straightened out. Thanks. *taken from here

Here is a DHD rom that looks interesting: [ROM][221011][v3.5]Ice Cream Sandwich[Clone][BootManager Compatible]

Last edited:

da-pharoah

Mar 24, 2009
Seacoast near Joppa
ok I wanted to post updates to this Boot Manager app. When I first started working on this project I wasn’t doing any dev'ing to change any of the stuff in the boot.img. I just changed settings in the app per all the research I did. So when all was said and done I restored HFP 2.1 to ROM1 and it actually booted!! And it works lovely btw.. I can still boot into this rom today. I then decided to pass the word and ways that I created the working rom1, well I nor anyone else I passed the info to was able to get it working. Only one other person was able to confirm that rom1 works but only after I copied all my rom1 info and sent it to him for testing.. and he was able to boot into my created rom1… As I see it, it was a blue moon event that I have yet to repeat. So I thought eff it lets do some dev'in so I unpacked the boot.img from rom1 then compared that to the unpacked boot.img from rom2 that I created in my trial and error experiences. So in doing so I noticed 4 differences; 1, the mount points obviously, 2, in the sbin folder had a ueventd file from the working rom1 was a text file viewable by gedit in ubuntu. In rom2 it was just a non-readable file. 3, in the init.rc file was also missing a chmod command for system, (the command is in rom1 but not rom2) and 4, there was a ueventd.tegra file that was in rom1 that wasn’t in rom2, but everything else is the same. So I decided to plug and play with the differences to see if she boots and no go. I don’t understand why its boot looping because I am using the same rom as phone rom as for rom1 and rom2. So it boot looped. So I had to restore my boot.img many times in cwm.

So then I said eff it lets do some more research, then I noticed in the .zips folder plus the individual rom folder there are .zips that will let you flash via cwm if you get boot loops and 'should' get you booting to your desired sdrom. I then tried that way and no go.. so then I opened up the zip and had a look at the internals.. first there is the moveboot.sh file that the app runs in cwm flash the given boot.img. I then checked out the meta-inf and opened up the updater-script thinking that the app wasn’t actually flashing the boot.img which is why it loops... Well I think im half way right. However the script itself is lil dodgy... first thing I noticed was at the end of the script they have a command to cp the log from /tmp to /sdcard/bootmanager well the command was wrong so it never copied the log. So I fixed that. I also saw that the assert command was pointing to ‘boot’ instead of mmcblk0p5, so I changed that too. Then I decided to do away with the assert command and the moveboot.sh file they have going on to utilize the same functions that the kernel zips use, which is a kernel folder that holds the boot.img and a run_program that dd's the boot.img to 0p5. plus I even updated the update-binary that the file uses. I used the one from the g2x nullifier as I know that one was made for our phone and should have no issues.. plus there was a noticeable difference in the sizes of the provided binary to that replaced binary. So with the updated.zip file I then rebooted into cwm to flash that being that I was using a different command to flash the boot.img as well as the other changed stuff and still it boot looped. So as of now the only thing I don’t think ive done was grab the boot.img from rom1 then change the mount points, only change that, and then use that for rom2 and see if it boots. I don’t think I’ve done that yet. But every dam process I do I get boot loops. So basically I have came to the conclusion that it’s now NOT a boot.img issue being that I have done everything to change the boot.img and to make sure it flashes, which it does indeed and now creates the log too… I think maybe it has issues with the system.img as that’s what comes next in the boot process. But that’s just my hypothesis. I won’t be able to confirm this till I liberate rom1’s boot.img then change the mount points to point to rom2 and then see if it boots.. if it don’t work then that would mean to me that there is an issue with system.img created. But that’s just my hypothesis…

What I don’t understand is why the eff was I able to not hack the app and get a working sd-rom, but when I do change some stuff with it still don’t work!!???!! I guess maybe ill just edit/hack the apk to see what’s up.. This is getting way more complicated then it needs to be, since it worked prior to all my major changes to the script its using for flashing and the boot.img and what not. Anyone have any ideas feel free to add them. My next steps are to edit rom1 boot.img one last time to change the mount points to point to rom2 and then if that’s a no go then its got to be the system.img that’s getting created. By the way this whole process I have only been restoring my nandroid backup for HFP 2.1. I have not attempted to flash new as with thru my research more times than not people would get a bootable rom via restoring versus flashing new.. so if anyone wishes to experience an sd rom let me know, ill send you a link to download my rom1 to get it going. Mind you that its not perfect and you need a class 4 or better sdcard. Everything works but it just takes a bit longer to load things and get things cached as its on the sdcard and not nand. Also if you have any input or are wishing to help pm me I need more heads to get this sorted as I can’t be the only one who knows how to edit scripts and unpack imgs and such. Either way I will continue to do this until I get it right damit!!! Oh and I just ordered a class 10 sdcard to help with this process… :cool:

Last edited:

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
I noticed you mentioned o2x. O2x and g2x are horses of a different color their partition setups are different. They are more like distant cousins rather then brother/sister devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

da-pharoah

Mar 24, 2009
Seacoast near Joppa
I noticed you mentioned o2x. O2x and g2x are horses of a different color their partition setups are different. They are more like distant cousins rather then brother/sister devices.

Yes I thought about editing that part out to reflect g2x... but the binary I got was from Volk and the G2x nullifier... But what I used was just the binary from my o2x zip since thats what I had at my immediate disposal... we used the same binary for both nullifiers...but I assure you its from the g2x and it works just fine. Its just the update-binary that was used from that file... not anything else.

edit:
ok eff it.. I changed it... I thought after all the info I put folks would not tunnel vision on 'o2x'... but ok now it says g2x..

Last edited:

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Yes I thought about editing that part out to reflect g2x... but the binary I got was from Volk and the G2x nullifier... But what I used was just the binary from my o2x zip since thats what I had at my immediate disposal... we used the same binary for both nullifiers...but I assure you its from the g2x and it works just fine. Its just the update-binary that was used from that file... not anything else.

edit:
ok eff it.. I changed it... I thought after all the info I put folks would not tunnel vision on 'o2x'... but ok now it says g2x..

Haha its all good. Just was wondering I know when I start over thinking I make careless mistakes sometimes.

Wish I had more time to try to help you guys but between all my projects and personal life its hard to do much else.

mustangtim49

May 20, 2011
Sea of Tranquility, Moon
Hey everyone, I wanted to congratulate da-pharoah as he is the new team leader of this project. Pay attention to this guy, he KNOWS this app! Thanks everyone who has helped, da-pharoah also brings fresh thinking to this project, something I was out of :( Good luck everyone, if I can help, you know where to find me. THANK YOU!

Reactions: da-pharoah

da-pharoah

Mar 24, 2009
Seacoast near Joppa
Hey everyone, I wanted to congratulate da-pharoah as he is the new team leader of this project. Pay attention to this guy, he KNOWS this app! Thanks everyone who has helped, da-pharoah also brings fresh thinking to this project, something I was out of :( Good luck everyone, if I can help, you know where to find me. THANK YOU!

Thanks bro.. and I do believe I am super familiar with BMP by now lol.. its a cool app and it seems I'm reflashing more now due to md5 errors in cwm because I keep restoring my boot.img and trying again to boot up on rom2 after some cool edits .. Lol.. so I just updated to cwm 5.0.28 lets see how that rolls. But indeed y'all Like mustangtim said if you have any questions feel free to ask! We will get this app working if it's the last thing I do!!!

Last edited:

zoppp

Nov 17, 2011
Why is this not under Android development? Seems like it's promising

Sent from my Handheld Portal Device

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
I agree for sure... but it sure would be nice if a mod moved it for us... *wink *wink.. ;)

Just make a new one and link back to here for reference. At least thats what id do to have a clean slate and control of the OP. Or of you just want it moved im sure you could pm overground

da-pharoah

Mar 24, 2009
Seacoast near Joppa
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit: attention devs, anyone interested in helping with this app please get in touch with me either pm or email me at artifintelacs@gmail.com, thanks! Sent from my LG - P999 Hey everyone, artifintel here to make good on a promise. After gaining infamy on my incorrect tegra drivers post and gaining a few more haters, I promised I was working with developers of a certain flashing app to get support for the g2x. I ran my article on Sunday at ACSyndicate.net and because of the the great press, I have been testing the new version with support for g2x. As of now, everything works but the main function. Not bad for one night of coding and testing. I would say, barring major calamity this app will be functioning in couple days. I am waiting now for my next test app. As soon as it is ready I will let everyone know. Maybe then, I can get some of the hating off the forums. *****ing and complaining will get you nothing, but with support and a little positive participation, I got what I and many others wanted. I also gained some really cool friends. So, have at it, I'm sure I did something wrong again.

Sent from the world's fastest g2x (just mad you didn't think of it)
    Yeah, I've bricked every time. Thank god for nvflash, it's fighting a little harder than expected. So far the closest we've got is it finally booted from sd, but it ended up bricking. The devs tell me that we're getting close. Sorry for being Mia all weekend, they haven't sent me a new version yet. It was pretty cool being booted to bionix then pressing a button and seeing morfics boot on phoenix blood, it will work that simply when it does work. I'll keep you posted.
    OK, I asked the devs if they would entertain speaking with one of the g2x devs. I'm waiting for an answer now. If they say yes, which one of you devs wants to do this? I'm afraid I'm losing their interest because they don't have a g2x of their own. They said they need to watch the logcat during a boot. If any of you devs are interested pm me or email me at artifintelacs@gmail.com, thanks!
    They'll go for it, said they'll even provide keys. Whoever is interested and thinks they can help, get in touch with me, thanks!
    No, a couple of devs answered early on, then nothing. I think ICS fever takes precedence at the moment. There's so many rom choices right now, this app would be the shizz. I tried messing with it a couple days ago with no luck. If any devs are interested, just contact them directly, they are cool, down to Earth guys. Sorry everyone that I am not making good on the promise. I tell you the devs and I worked for weeks trying to get it working. Booting from the SD card is a small miracle, the problem lies with the path or mount of the SD card, it changes between roms. The same thing is the cause for your computer seeing your g2x on one rom and not on the next. Anyone that thinks they can help email me or the devs at Init2Winit apps. Thanks everyone for not hating, I've been afraid to look here figuring I'd leave in flames. So again, thanks!

What does the app do? Driver fiasco wasn't your fault. Screw the haters

http://www.acsyndicate.net/acs-application-spotlight-boot-manager-by-init-2-winitapps/