Droid 3 no sound during calls

Search This thread

magedassad

Aug 27, 2010
Hello fellas,

I just installed ICS from this link

The sound works fine when playing music or notifications or whatever I do.

But when I'm making or receiving a call, my sound doesnt work. My phone doesnt ring or hear it ring when making a call and nor can they hear me at all.

The only way I can make a phone call is through bluetooth which makes me think that the speaker on the phone isnt configured correctly.

If the ROM is the issue which rom do you recommend for my DROID 3?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Senate9690

Mar 25, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
This is known issue people are experience with CM9, Gummy, and AOKP. MotoBlur + Android 4.0.4 is based of AOKP inheriting its issues. Usually a restart or two fixes the issue, but it is somewhat random. I believe the issue involves bluetooth but I guess no one really knows. I heard toggling bluetooth sometimes fixes it as well.

However you say it doesn't even ring, I have never had it not ring. But have experienced the rest.

magedassad

Aug 27, 2010
Tried that

I've tried restarting several times, doing it again as I type.

When I've also tried to toggle bluetooth off during a call but it didnt work.

Should I reinstall the ROM?

magedassad

Aug 27, 2010
Ok so I deleted all data and cache.
Re-installed the ROM again and it turns out that bluetooth is messing with my in-call sound. My phone rings now (by default there was no ringtone selected) but when I toggle bluetooth on I cannot hear anyone or anyone hear me.

Band aid: Keep bluetooth turned off until it gets fixed.

Thanks for your help Senate9690.

Is there a different rom out there for Droid 3?

xerokitsune

Mar 21, 2010
About that band-aid
I run into a the no sound on calls as well. I'm running ICS and have always left the Bluetooth off. For me it seems to happen occasionally after I interrupt music/audio playback by removing the wired headphones from the jack or incoming call.
Just flushing the cache and rebooting letting the cache rebuild seems to fix it without the need to a re flash or factory reset. It is good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing the issue.

drbobmd

Feb 23, 2012
Mission Viejo, CA
I ran into that issue with cm9 (selfkang) as well. Usually just toggling bluetooth off did the trick, and when it didn't, rebooting always worked. The sound issues were only in-call related, and notifications/ringtones worked just fine. I switched to Axiom and aside from the know in-call issues, toggling bt off works perfectly without rebooting.

In my opinion, Axiom is an excellent rom. My only drawback is the amount of battery sucked dry when the screen is on/keyboard out, however under very minimal use it has lasted well into the next day. Hash's original cm9 has prevailed as the battery king in my ICS D3 testing, but Axiom has made me a happy camper. I didn't spend much time with Gummy or the original AOKP though. That's the beauty in rom choices; different strokes for different folks :)

Sent from my XT862 using XDA

dmwoods

Jul 3, 2010
Hello fellas,

I just installed ICS from this link

The sound works fine when playing music or notifications or whatever I do.

But when I'm making or receiving a call, my sound doesnt work. My phone doesnt ring or hear it ring when making a call and nor can they hear me at all.

The only way I can make a phone call is through bluetooth which makes me think that the speaker on the phone isnt configured correctly.

If the ROM is the issue which rom do you recommend for my DROID 3?

Thanks for your help!

A lot of Android phones are having this issue. Try this app and see if it works. The Pro version lets you route sound during phone calls too!

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodslink.android.wiredheadphoneroutingfix

Alex2191

Jun 25, 2013
Bluetooth Share?

Hi,

This is my first post, but I have encountered an issue similar to this before. I work for a company that makes Bluetooth headsets, primarily for truckers, and this is a fairly often related experience. I would describe it as "dead air" on a phone call. Often, if the headset supports it, the A2DP stream will be fine. I don't know why, or where we found this from, but we have found that often if a user goes into their application settings, to "All" apps, there will be an app there titled "Bluetooth Share". Sometimes there is more than one, but only one with show an amount of data. Going into this, clearing that data, then restarting the phone has been reported to help resolve this issue.

Try it, and see what happens. Not just Motorola phones do this either, but it seems to be associated with Android 4.0.x and up.

Thanks,

Alex.

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I belive this rom has a bug where the speaker/earpiece doesn't work if Bluetooth is on.

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium