[Q] Bluetooth and external SD issues platform.xml

Search This thread

new2and

Sep 29, 2012
I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 with Wind Mobile. Recently Updated to 4.4.2 and rooted with Towel Root. Everything was good until TitaniumBu couldn't access the externalSD card.

I tried using a couple of xposed modules (Handle External Storage & then KitKat SD Card Full Access), but they didn't allow Titanium to access the SD card either.

So I tried the manual method of modifying platform.xml (also changed permissions on the modified file) but I have the same issue as some other people I've read about (bluetooth stopped working, whatsapp crashed, maps, youtube, play store, titanium backup, touchpal keyboard, web browsing all stopped working). Also when I connect my phone to my PC, the phone and the sd are shown as empty.
I tried copying back the original platform.xml that I had saved and still no luck.
I'm not worried about the titanium accessing the sd card right now. I'm just trying to get the apps and bluetooth working. Anybody have any other ideas?

new2and

Sep 29, 2012
Thanks

Try ktoonsez' kt747 kernel.

Thanks for the info Doc, but I'm not too confident flashing kernels (never done it) so I ended up wiping everything and starting from scratch. I installed? kitkat 4.2.2 and then rooted again with towelroot.

I then installed SD fix and TWRP, but the funny thing is that when I restarted my phone, I no longer had wifi.I tried a few things that I found in XDA and on other websites, but I couldn't get wifi back.

So then I redid everything again. Kit Kit & towel root, but no TWRP, no external sd fixes, and I am able to use my phone. The problem for me is that my apps have no access to the extSD and I can't do a back up without that access. I'm thinking that the extsd fixes that i have tried over the last few days mess something up with my phone. Or maybe towel root & the fixes are not good together? Maybe I should have used Root 66 like I used before?

I don't want to risk messing anything up right now, so I'm just going to wait around, and see if anyone else runs into my problems.
Thanks again.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Towelroot, or any other root method shouldn't have any effect on the actual operation of the device. What is happening is there are new seLinux security enhancements built in to kk. Apps can now only read/write to folders they create/own. If another app created the folder, or if it was created by the owning app before the new security was implemented, seLinux will not allow that app to use it. More and more people are having problems even after the platform.xml edit which makes me believe its got to be done before flashing, or a factory reset may be needed. Im not sure on that right now.

The platform.xml edit is only for the external sdcard btw. You have to disable seLinux to solve this on the internal one. (Looks like this may also be true for external now, but like I said, im not sure about that yet)

There's an app in the store, I think its called sdfix, or sdfixer or something similar (search seLinux mode changer) that people have had some success with, so try that first.
Alternatively, I can mod the stock kernel to disable seLinux there. (May do this today anyway).
It's perfectly fine if you're not comfortable flashing kernels, but its really nothing to be too worried over. A custom one like ktoonsez kt747, will flash and run normally, and you have the option to learn more if you like so you can configure it how you want.
If you have any specific concerns about it, feel free to ask us. But in the end its up to you if you still want to refrain from flashing one.

Another thing you can try is to rename the apps folders, then reinstall it and let it recreate them. Then copy the contents of the old into the new. Not totally sure it would work as I expect, but in theory it should.

Anyway, if nothing else, try that app I mentioned. And let us know how ut goes!

Reactions: new2and

new2and

Sep 29, 2012
Thanks Again

Towelroot, or any other root method shouldn't have any effect on the actual operation of the device. What is happening is there are new seLinux security enhancements built in to kk. Apps can now only read/write to folders they create/own. If another app created the folder, or if it was created by the owning app before the new security was implemented, seLinux will not allow that app to use it. More and more people are having problems even after the platform.xml edit which makes me believe its got to be done before flashing, or a factory reset may be needed. Im not sure on that right now.

The platform.xml edit is only for the external sdcard btw. You have to disable seLinux to solve this on the internal one. (Looks like this may also be true for external now, but like I said, im not sure about that yet)

There's an app in the store, I think its called sdfix, or sdfixer or something similar (search seLinux mode changer) that people have had some success with, so try that first.
Alternatively, I can mod the stock kernel to disable seLinux there. (May do this today anyway).
It's perfectly fine if you're not comfortable flashing kernels, but its really nothing to be too worried over. A custom one like ktoonsez kt747, will flash and run normally, and you have the option to learn more if you like so you can configure it how you want.
If you have any specific concerns about it, feel free to ask us. But in the end its up to you if you still want to refrain from flashing one.

Another thing you can try is to rename the apps folders, then reinstall it and let it recreate them. Then copy the contents of the old into the new. Not totally sure it would work as I expect, but in theory it should.

Thanks again for your response.
I tried sdfix and thats when my wifi got messed up.
I've spent 2 days getting my phone almost back to where it was before, so I think I'll wait a few days/weeks before I mess with it again.
Thanks for the explanation, but sooner or later I think I will try the ktoonsez kt747.
I'll update here whenever I try something.
Thanks again. Your help is appreciated.

new2and

Sep 29, 2012

FYI Doc. I tried the updated KitKat SD Card Full Access (version 1.2) Xposed module that came out today. It worked, and now Titanium can back up to my external SD card. Finally.

Reactions: DocHoliday77

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks for letting us know! I don't use xposed so wouldn't have known about it otherwise. Still, I am sorry you had so much trouble with all of this and that I couldn't help you better. Glad to hear you finally got it sorted out though!

Reactions: new2and

new2and

Sep 29, 2012
Thanks Doc

Thanks for letting us know! I don't use xposed so wouldn't have known about it otherwise. Still, I am sorry you had so much trouble with all of this and that I couldn't help you better. Glad to hear you finally got it sorted out though!

No worries. I browse XDA a lot, and I see your answers, and they're always helpful. I appreciate all your help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try ktoonsez' kt747 kernel.

FYI Doc. I tried the updated KitKat SD Card Full Access (version 1.2) Xposed module that came out today. It worked, and now Titanium can back up to my external SD card. Finally.