[Q] Cannot Install new ROM, Status 7 error

Search This thread

btrains

Jan 8, 2012
So the other day my S3 gave up the ghost, and developed the hard-brick "QHSUSB_DLOAD" error. I have insurance so I was overnighted a new phone, and am sending the old one away. I believe this was related to a long-term power button issue I was having, perhaps a virus, or something. I had not changed anything to the ROM I was using since about October, and the issue just happened now in May.

At any rate, the new S3 I received is an MJB version, Android 4.3, Knox and all that other good stuff. After several failed attempts, I found a method to root this phone and disable Knox. The Warranty Bit is already tripped, so clearly I'm not sending this phone back until it hard bricks as well. I am trying to install the StockMOD ROM that is very popular, however I am being plagued by problem after problem.

I was able to flash a version of CWM Recovery onto my phone, but it was too old and couldn't mount any of the folders. Using ROM Manager, I was able to flash an update to my Recovery, and now it mounts and views all folders properly. However, when I go to install the StockMOD ROM, I continuously get a Status 7 error, something about "expects 5 args, got 3." I wiped the data, cache, and Dalvik, but kept getting this error. So, I had to recover my backup of stock, which didn't go well either. Once my backup was installed, all of my apps kept crashing. Gapps, ROM Manager, everything kept giving me constant FC errors. I had to wipe my data, cache, and Dalvik again and go back to factory default, and reinitialize the phone. Luckily I haven't installed anything of importance on here yet.

A quick search through here states that I need to use TWRP as my Recovery. I've flashed TWRP several times, first using the 2.6... version and then the most recent 2.7.0.0 version, and neither of these will mount any of my folders. It just gives me a litany of errors trying to mount the various locations. I've done Fix Permissions and everything else, TWRP will just NOT mount anything. Other folks say I need the latest PhilZ Recovery. I've downloaded the latest PhilZ Touch 6 and flashed it via Odin. It is giving me the same errors as regular CWM, Status 7, "expecting 5 args, got 3."

I don't know what else to do. My S3 that ran Android 4.0 was so much easier. I had that thing rooted and running a TW based ROM with Nova launcher in about 30 minutes. This phone has been a disaster since I turned it on. I'm just trying to get a 4.3 TW based ROM. I like the Samsung Camera, Calendar, Clock, Messaging, and Contacts apps far better than AOSP versions. But I also want much more customization to my notification drawer toggles. Stock TW doesn't have the toggles I use frequently like the data toggle as well as the torch toggle.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, because unlike a lot of folks out there, once I find a ROM I like, I stick with it. I'm not constantly updating, changing, or searching for the newest version of Android. There's nothing wrong with that, it just isn't my cup of tea. So does anyone know what I need to do? At this point, I'm about to just give up and use Nova over top of rooted stock TW and call it a day.

Thanks!

nosphor

Apr 10, 2012
Metz
Have you tried to go back stock rom using Odin ? I think it might resolve your recovery problem

btrains

Jan 8, 2012
Have you tried to go back stock rom using Odin ? I think it might resolve your recovery problem

Everything is stock except the recovery. I'm using CWM 6.0.4.7 with PhilZ Touch 6. I'm still using the stock TW 4.3 ROM that shipped with the phone. The only exception is that I'm rooted now.

btrains

Jan 8, 2012
I suggest you to go back to a 4.1 official stock rom with odin to be sure to have no more issue.

This can help you : http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/general/restore-to-stock-rom-galaxy-s3-i9300-t2187081

Also, don't forget to backup your apps with titanium backup and all your sms :good:

Unfortunately, I've heard that it is not possible to revert to anything prior to 4.3 once a phone comes factory installed with 4.3, due to all of the security enhancements and etc. My kernel, modem, and baseband are all factory stock 4.3 MJB. Everyone else on the boards, under various other topics, warn of immediate and sudden death to the phone if you attempt to install a baseband prior to 4.3 MJB.

nosphor

Apr 10, 2012
Metz
I'm very surprised to hear that, because recently i've flash stock 4.3 rom and then go back to 4.1.2 to flash a 4.4 rom without any issue and i've got nothing for issues. :rolleyes:

Maybe it depends on which country you are ( i'm from France ) ? For what i know , there is a VERY little chance that this downgrade cause dammage to your phone

btrains

Jan 8, 2012
I'm very surprised to hear that, because recently i've flash stock 4.3 rom and then go back to 4.1.2 to flash a 4.4 rom without any issue and i've got nothing for issues. :rolleyes:

Maybe it depends on which country you are ( i'm from France ) ? For what i know , there is a VERY little chance that this downgrade cause dammage to your phone

I'm in the USA. The security features on the I747 US version are far different. I don't know how everyone else is succeeding. I am completely lost.

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
You are in the wrong forum, anything you try from here will hard brick your phone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: steita

nosphor

Apr 10, 2012
Metz
Sorry to tell you that, but what you say is not completely true.
Yes, there is a lot of people that rush to give an answer to the question, but there is also people that really like to help people that are in trouble :good:

Please, don't take most of the case for a generality

nosphor

Apr 10, 2012
Metz
Yes, i've read this, i know that, that's why i talk about the difference between country, different phone model

btrains

Jan 8, 2012
My apologies. Thought this was the 747 board. Go ahead and lock this, I'll repost in the correct forum.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You are in the wrong forum, anything you try from here will hard brick your phone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk