[Q] Cyanogenmod: No support for encryption of external sd card

Search This thread

nsmart

Sep 3, 2011
I am a big fan of cyanogenmod roms and like to thank the cm team for including more and more security features (privacy guard, whisperpush,...).
Therefore what wonders me most: if you enable device encryption on devices with external sd card, the external sd card always remains unencrypted. As you cannot really control for every app where to store its data, you have some of your app-data on internal sd (encrypted) and some of you app-data on external sd (unencrypted). To me this seems to be a security hole, concerning device encryption. Does anyone know why cm team does not include encryption for external sd cards, like some oems do? They put so much effort in security features and on the other side they leave parts of the local storage unencrypted?

mrplice

Nov 3, 2015
I am a big fan of cyanogenmod roms and like to thank the cm team for including more and more security features (privacy guard, whisperpush,...).
Therefore what wonders me most: if you enable device encryption on devices with external sd card, the external sd card always remains unencrypted. As you cannot really control for every app where to store its data, you have some of your app-data on internal sd (encrypted) and some of you app-data on external sd (unencrypted). To me this seems to be a security hole, concerning device encryption. Does anyone know why cm team does not include encryption for external sd cards, like some oems do? They put so much effort in security features and on the other side they leave parts of the local storage unencrypted?

Any news on this? I wonder what can be done to enable external sd encryption on Android...Using regular GNU/Linux distros it is very easy (LUKs with cryptosetup).