A case for the Droid Charge: a perspective for potential or unhappy owners

Search This thread

cmdrfrog

May 23, 2011
The Droid Charge is coming up on its first birthday, and having been a day 1 adopter I've seen the phone through some downs and ups. Like many committed to this phone, I was very tempted by next generation 4G devices like the RARZ, Rezound, or Nexus. I've been disappointed with Samsung's lack of cooperation on code critical to ROM development. I've watched new phones quickly released pushing the Charge further into history.

However, i'm writing this to acknowledge what is great about this device and why you should be happy to get or have one.

Firstly, the hardware. While the Charge has only a single core and 512 memory, the shortcomings really end there. It's Super AMOLED+ screen is by far one of - if not THE most perfect display on a mobile device that i've seen and I believe it equal or superior to any of the Verizon 4G devices. It's form factor and physical buttons are pleasant to use, and it's weight feels good in a hand or pocket. Its connectivity options and accessories are top notch with full MicroSD, HDMI, and horizontal docking stations with backup battery chargers. It packs the superior Audio chips that have drawn audiophiles to the phone. It's battery life has with recent software updates become perfectly adequate: I regularly get 12-15 hours of genuinely moderate use including 45-60 minutes of calls, 2-3 hours of web browsing, and 1 hour of bluetooth music streaming on a single charge. (Caveat: frequently on WiFi, while on 4G only battery lasts more like 8 hours). However with a cheap, replaceable battery which fits in my slim wallet as easily as 4 folded $20 bills, I easily do whatever I want as long as I want so long as I can charge while sleeping.

Secondly, the software: yes, it's come a long way. Those of us who remember rooting ED1 and hoping for a voodoo lagfix back in June know how bad it was - the color scheme, the RFS file system, the terrible browsing. However, as of today on Eclipse ROM 2.0 (FP1 based) the phone performs beautifully with no lag on home screens, snappy browsing, and an attractive, feature rich interface.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, is the Value. The Charge is the best phone dollar for dollar that you can buy today. Commonly available on craigslist for $120 used with a $20 docking station from Ebay you can have a great setup for less than the cost of buying other phones with contract. I was recently in a position to upgrade to a Galaxy nexus for $350 (from ebay, selling charge for $120 for a net cost around $200) and thought to myself, why? are small advances in CPU and memory that affect me little on a daily worth $200? and the answer was clearly: no. Can i get a better gingerbread experience with longer battery life on the Razr Maxx? For $400 net cost maybe, but only slightly, and with nearly equivalent battery life so long as you plan ahead. And what if you drop the phone on the ground and shatter it? You could have a new Droid Charge for less than the deductible if you carried insurance, which could save you $10/mo - or $400ish if you had a shiny nexus or Maxx with no policy.

And so, that's my opinion as a Droid Charge early adopter. If you're thinking of getting one today you'll luck out and have a great experience - head over to the forums and read the stickies on ODIN, CWM, and then get a FP1 based ROM right away. If you're thinking of jumping ship, and $200 is at all consequential to your life, consider what you get from another phone in your overall value decision.

Good luck!

JihadSquad

Oct 5, 2011
Madison, WI
xdaforums.com
I agree with this. Using the phone can get frustrating at times, especially for those who have the static problems (get a replacement!!!), but in the end it's the price we pay for getting the first gen 4g and locking in unlimited data.

jager420

Aug 25, 2010
San Fernando Valley
first gen 4g and locking in unlimited data.

Yeah but when you go to upgrade you have to sign a new 2 year contract and unlimited will not be an option. Only way to stay locked in to unlimited data is by buying phone @ retail price :eek:

But I agree with this post and will wait till a new nexus comes out..Which prob wont come out till end of this year or begging of next year...

JihadSquad

Oct 5, 2011
Madison, WI
xdaforums.com
Yeah but when you go to upgrade you have to sign a new 2 year contract and unlimited will not be an option. Only way to stay locked in to unlimited data is by buying phone @ retail price :eek:

But I agree with this post and will wait till a new nexus comes out..Which prob wont come out till end of this year or begging of next year...

Not true. I upgraded in September from my old Blackberry w/ unlimited data. I got to keep my unlimited data, and my brother (new line) got tiered. I hear Verizon has a good reputation of honoring contract extensions by keeping past low prices on existing contracts and from people whose cheap carriers were bought by Verizon.

D

Deleted member 4151041

Wrong. I will be renewing my contract therefore locking in unlimited.

romsRfun

I upgraded my wife's incredible to the rezound and still have unlimited data. During the upgrade we got the upgrade price of 199 at the time before 49 came around. Not worried about the cost since teh wife is happy.

Not one customer service rep has said I will lose my unlimited data for upgrading my phone when the time comes around. My data will even carry over to a new plan if I want a new plan. Whoever is telling you all that you are going to lose your unlimited data plan is hog wash.

Funny thing was, my wife was 9 months out from upgrading to a new phone, but the incredible turned to garbage after a year of good use. They gave us the deal without hesitating. So, if your phone is going belly up and you need something reliable and new big red may help you out as well.

Never hurts to ask.

Need help? http://www.toms-world.org/android/ flash to EP4D, make ClockworkMod Recovery stick, step by step root. Best step by step instructions for the Droid Charge.

shrike1978

Jun 28, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yea, I've already verified with Verizon that the data plan is tied to the individual customer and as long as you don't change your data plan, you can carry it with you and not change anything. I just combined my line onto a new family plan, under someone else's name, and my data didn't change. They still have their 4GB double data, and I still have my unlimited data.

JihadSquad

Oct 5, 2011
Madison, WI
xdaforums.com
Yea, I've already verified with Verizon that the data plan is tied to the individual customer and as long as you don't change your data plan, you can carry it with you and not change anything. I just combined my line onto a new family plan, under someone else's name, and my data didn't change. They still have their 4GB double data, and I still have my unlimited data.

So if i split my line off my family plan i should be able to keep the data?

lpt2569

Nov 22, 2011
I am a perfect example of this scenario. I had the Fascinate for about a year, and just couldn't stop thinking about how much I wanted a 4G phone and bigger screen. A little over a month ago, I decided to upgrade. All of the BIG 3 phones (razr, rezound, nexus) were available on ebay or craigslist, but I went with The Droid Charge. Got mine for $125 on ebay, bought a car dock for $20, flashed Eclipse and FP1 radio (haven't gotten around to Eclipse 2.0 yet and FP1 kernel), and I could not be happier. I have not even thought about another device, and the phone is stable, quick and of course the screen is fantastic. I agree, the Charge is a great value on the phone market right now.

Falcyn

Jan 18, 2010
I kind of hate these owner-justification threads, because this phone is undeniably dated at this point... yet there's nothing wrong with that. Technology moves quickly. That's just how it is.

The Galaxy Nexus is noticeably much faster in daily use, and you're deluding yourself (and/or haven't used one) if you insist otherwise.... but it should be faster! It's newer. Yet in a year, you can be sure it too will start looking outdated. Once again, technology moves fast.

Finally: if you're buying a phone off-contract and need to save money, sure, consider the Charge, because yeah, you can get it pretty cheap. But the reality is that the overwhelming majority of people buy phones on-contract, and getting this in that scenario -- when you can get a much newer and all-around better phone like the Lucid (now *that* is a good value) for less money -- would be a definite mistake.

Last edited:

BrandedDays

Mar 3, 2012
MPLS
Just rooted and loaded Eclipse 2.0. Phone is better than ever.

I had been considering picking up a new phone but I am glad that I gave the Charge another shot.

Aug 23, 2010
HTC 10

This is wrong. When you upgrade you still can keep your unlimited data. I verified this with Verizon.

As for the main post by cmdrfrog. I agree 100% with what he wrote. My contact is up in September and I was thinking of upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus but after flashing my Charge with the Tweaked v2.0 rom by dwitherell. I really don't see any reason to upgrade currently with the exception of having the latest and greatest and better rom support.

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
I gotta say that the Charge more or less forced me into the geeky root, rom, mod, script, theme, radio, etc flashing thing. If the Charge didn't suck so much stock, I likely wouldn't have much of an Android skillset today.
Once tricked out properly, the Charge is a great phone. The VIA baseband is sub-par IMO, but for some people it seems fine.

I remember when there were rumors of Verizon dropping unlimited. The Charge was my first smartphone. I was compelled to get a 4G phone just in case Verizon wouldn't let you upgrade a 3G device and still let you keep unlimited in the future, and just 5 weeks later, Verizon dropped unlimited. At the time it was the Charge or the Thunderbolt, and I am glad I didn't get the Thunderbolt...

I remember when I first had an Odin flash fail, I think my heart skipped a couple beats.

The Charge has drawbacks, no doubt about it, but it is still an awesome phone. I think most people would be happy with it waiting for something like the GS3.

dees_74

Apr 22, 2012
Westminster
Newb here, but thought I'd chime in. Before rooting, my Charge was slow, and laggy (is that a word?). After taking the plunge, and rooting with Tweakstock, the phone runs great! I agree that is a little dated now, but my rooted Charge will keep me happy til my next upgrade.

kakistocrat

Nov 9, 2011
Philadelphia
+1

I gotta say that the Charge more or less forced me into the geeky root, rom, mod, script, theme, radio, etc flashing thing. If the Charge didn't suck so much stock, I likely wouldn't have much of an Android skillset today.
Once tricked out properly, the Charge is a great phone. The VIA baseband is sub-par IMO, but for some people it seems fine.

I remember when there were rumors of Verizon dropping unlimited. The Charge was my first smartphone. I was compelled to get a 4G phone just in case Verizon wouldn't let you upgrade a 3G device and still let you keep unlimited in the future, and just 5 weeks later, Verizon dropped unlimited. At the time it was the Charge or the Thunderbolt, and I am glad I didn't get the Thunderbolt...

I remember when I first had an Odin flash fail, I think my heart skipped a couple beats.

The Charge has drawbacks, no doubt about it, but it is still an awesome phone. I think most people would be happy with it waiting for something like the GS3.

Way to think positive! That is really a good point though. The phone was so terrible when it came out I thought I had faulty hardware and went back to the store for a replacement. When I realized I was just stuck with the phone the way it was, I joined XDA and started tweaking. I never would have learned so much about rooting, scripts, themes, even the Linux shell. Now, the phone works beautifully (though finally getting a device that came out a year ago into working order is unacceptably late). I will be holding on to this one for a while.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Droid Charge is coming up on its first birthday, and having been a day 1 adopter I've seen the phone through some downs and ups. Like many committed to this phone, I was very tempted by next generation 4G devices like the RARZ, Rezound, or Nexus. I've been disappointed with Samsung's lack of cooperation on code critical to ROM development. I've watched new phones quickly released pushing the Charge further into history.

However, i'm writing this to acknowledge what is great about this device and why you should be happy to get or have one.

Firstly, the hardware. While the Charge has only a single core and 512 memory, the shortcomings really end there. It's Super AMOLED+ screen is by far one of - if not THE most perfect display on a mobile device that i've seen and I believe it equal or superior to any of the Verizon 4G devices. It's form factor and physical buttons are pleasant to use, and it's weight feels good in a hand or pocket. Its connectivity options and accessories are top notch with full MicroSD, HDMI, and horizontal docking stations with backup battery chargers. It packs the superior Audio chips that have drawn audiophiles to the phone. It's battery life has with recent software updates become perfectly adequate: I regularly get 12-15 hours of genuinely moderate use including 45-60 minutes of calls, 2-3 hours of web browsing, and 1 hour of bluetooth music streaming on a single charge. (Caveat: frequently on WiFi, while on 4G only battery lasts more like 8 hours). However with a cheap, replaceable battery which fits in my slim wallet as easily as 4 folded $20 bills, I easily do whatever I want as long as I want so long as I can charge while sleeping.

Secondly, the software: yes, it's come a long way. Those of us who remember rooting ED1 and hoping for a voodoo lagfix back in June know how bad it was - the color scheme, the RFS file system, the terrible browsing. However, as of today on Eclipse ROM 2.0 (FP1 based) the phone performs beautifully with no lag on home screens, snappy browsing, and an attractive, feature rich interface.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, is the Value. The Charge is the best phone dollar for dollar that you can buy today. Commonly available on craigslist for $120 used with a $20 docking station from Ebay you can have a great setup for less than the cost of buying other phones with contract. I was recently in a position to upgrade to a Galaxy nexus for $350 (from ebay, selling charge for $120 for a net cost around $200) and thought to myself, why? are small advances in CPU and memory that affect me little on a daily worth $200? and the answer was clearly: no. Can i get a better gingerbread experience with longer battery life on the Razr Maxx? For $400 net cost maybe, but only slightly, and with nearly equivalent battery life so long as you plan ahead. And what if you drop the phone on the ground and shatter it? You could have a new Droid Charge for less than the deductible if you carried insurance, which could save you $10/mo - or $400ish if you had a shiny nexus or Maxx with no policy.

And so, that's my opinion as a Droid Charge early adopter. If you're thinking of getting one today you'll luck out and have a great experience - head over to the forums and read the stickies on ODIN, CWM, and then get a FP1 based ROM right away. If you're thinking of jumping ship, and $200 is at all consequential to your life, consider what you get from another phone in your overall value decision.

Good luck!