[GUIDE] Soft Bricked - Solution (Worked for me)

Search This thread

madsthines

Feb 4, 2011
Copenhagen
madsthines.dk
My Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 WiFi (SM-P900) got soft bricked after following a rooting tutorial i found by googling How to root SM-P900. I think the problem was that i used a too old (or wrong) version of Odin, but im not sure. While i was flashing the auto-root through Odin the screen turn of. After that it showed the "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies and try again" standard Samsung Message. I tried to reinstall the firmware through kies but with no luck.

[SOLUTION]
1. First I downloaded the correct firmware, from Sammobile. In my case it was Nordic Contries, cause i live in Denmark. Pick the one that suite you!!

2. Then i booted my first NotePro to download mode. It took my some tries, to get it working. First hold the power button. When the "Firmware Upgrade Encountered An Issue..." message turns off, in the same second, release the power button, and now select all three (Power + Volume Down + HomeKey). (You have to release the power button and press it again to make it work (At least for me)

3. Now install the stock firmware and your tablet is now working again.

4. (Optional) If you want to root your device and it didn't work the first time. Make sure you use the same Odin as showed in the tutorial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrktmind

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
invalid ext4 image

My Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 WiFi (SM-P900) got soft bricked after following a rooting tutorial i found by googling How to root SM-P900. I think the problem was that i used a too old (or wrong) version of Odin, but im not sure. While i was flashing the auto-root through Odin the screen turn of. After that it showed the "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies and try again" standard Samsung Message. I tried to reinstall the firmware through kies but with no luck.

[SOLUTION]
1. First I downloaded the correct firmware, from Sammobile. In my case it was Nordic Contries, cause i live in Denmark. Pick the one that suite you!!

2. Then i booted my first NotePro to download mode. It took my some tries, to get it working. First hold the power button. When the "Firmware Upgrade Encountered An Issue..." message turns off, in the same second, release the power button, and now select all three (Power + Volume Down + HomeKey). (You have to release the power button and press it again to make it work (At least for me)

4. (Optional) If you want to root your device and it didn't work the first time. Make sure you use the same Odin as showed in the tutorial.

i AM FACING A PROBLEM HERE, PLEASE HEALP!

First I have download "P905XXUANAE_P905OXXANA7_P905XXUANA7_HOME.tar. md5" for my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905. But unfortunately the file did not work for me and after all the long installation process odin says failed. and the last line on my device is

"ODIN : Invalid ext4 image"

so, after seeing that I thought the downloaded file ("P905XXUANAE_P905OXXANA7_P905XXUANA7_HOME.tar.md5 ") may be corrupted. then I download again another file from sammobile website for my note pro SM-P905 and that is "P905XXUANC3_P905BTUAND2_P905XXUANA7_HOME.tar. md5" but when tried to install by odin after long time same condition happen again. Odin says failed, and my device last line was Invalid ext4 image.

what is the problem?
how to flash SM-P905?
where is the exact proper flash file for my SM-P905?

Please Healp!!!

esgie

Feb 17, 2013

First I have download "P905XXUANAE_P905OXXANA7_P905XXUANA7_HOME.tar. md5" for my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905. But unfortunately the file did not work for me and after all the long installation process odin says failed. and the last line on my device is

so, after seeing that I thought the downloaded file ("P905XXUANAE_P905OXXANA7_P905XXUANA7_HOME.tar.md5 ") may be corrupted. then I download again another file from sammobile website for my note pro SM-P905 and that is "P905XXUANC3_P905BTUAND2_P905XXUANA7_HOME.tar. md5" but when tried to install by odin after long time same condition happen again. Odin says failed, and my device last line was Invalid ext4 image.

what is the problem?
how to flash SM-P905?

Please Healp!!!
1. You may want to try using:
http://samsung-updates.com/
instead of samfirmware, if you're experiencing corrupted downloads from the latter (but it's not very probable... see pt 3)
2. At the moment I am testing new firmware revision, downloaded from samsung-updates: P905XXUAND1 for NEE region. It flashed fine. Also, for most of the time I have used P905XXUANC3 firmware for DBT region (Germany - even if I am not a German, I do not really care about csc stuff, and I got used to the fact that the newest firmwares were always released for DBT region first on my old "standard" Note 10.1). It was flashing fine, too.
3. The problem seems, however, lie not in the firmware, but in your hardware - or at least in the way it is handled by Odin or drivers. Note that *.tar.md5 archive contain md5 checksum concatenated to the very end of archive. When you're selected firmware file in Odin (in a PDA section), it probably took a longer while before the file appeared as selected - this is because meanwhile Odin is checking the checksum (and for that purpose, he has to read whole 1.5Gig file...). So: If Odin allowed you to flash the tar.md5 file - then it was NOT corrupted, otherwise it won't even be possible to start the process as of file wrong checksum!
4. THere is another possibility - that something bad happened to your pit section (it has been overwritten in result of flashing firmware for a wrong device) and your nand partition table is corrupted, which may probably result in an impossibility of flashing files or impossibility of mounting filesystems... I cannot help then, I have never faced such a problem in practice myself.
5. Pt 4, however, seems to be less possible than pt 3.
- Have you ever flashed any firmware with success?
- what do you mean by "long installation process"? A 10 minutes? An hour? Half-a-day? :)
- Have you been observing Odin while flashing? It's indicating which partition is being flashed atm - can you tell on which firmware part (system? hidden? cache?) did it fail?
- Try using different version of Odin (an older one, guess 3.07? not sure however - the one which has "PDA" section instead of a single-letter names)
- Try flashing from different PC
- use usb 2.0 port instead of 3.0 ones.
- try using different usb cable (I guess it'll may be the hardest thing to check because the cable seem to be quite unique :p )

Reactions: ornobohornish

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
Grateful to you...

instead of samfirmware, if you're experiencing corrupted downloads from the latter (but it's not very probable... see pt 3)
2. At the moment I am testing new firmware revision, downloaded from samsung-updates: P905XXUAND1 for NEE region. It flashed fine. Also, for most of the time I have used P905XXUANC3 firmware for DBT region (Germany - even if I am not a German, I do not really care about csc stuff, and I got used to the fact that the newest firmwares were always released for DBT region first on my old "standard" Note 10.1). It was flashing fine, too.
3. The problem seems, however, lie not in the firmware, but in your hardware - or at least in the way it is handled by Odin or drivers. Note that *.tar.md5 archive contain md5 checksum concatenated to the very end of archive. When you're selected firmware file in Odin (in a PDA section), it probably took a longer while before the file appeared as selected - this is because meanwhile Odin is checking the checksum (and for that purpose, he has to read whole 1.5Gig file...). So: If Odin allowed you to flash the tar.md5 file - then it was NOT corrupted, otherwise it won't even be possible to start the process as of file wrong checksum!
4. THere is another possibility - that something bad happened to your pit section (it has been overwritten in result of flashing firmware for a wrong device) and your nand partition table is corrupted, which may probably result in an impossibility of flashing files or impossibility of mounting filesystems... I cannot help then, I have never faced such a problem in practice myself.
- what do you mean by "long installation process"? A 10 minutes? An hour? Half-a-day? :)
- Have you been observing Odin while flashing? It's indicating which partition is being flashed atm - can you tell on which firmware part (system? hidden? cache?) did it fail?
- Try using different version of Odin (an older one, guess 3.07? not sure however - the one which has "PDA" section instead of a single-letter names)
- try using different usb cable (I guess it'll may be the hardest thing to check because the cable seem to be quite unique :p )

Dear Sir,
I am so surprised to see that somebody response me for the core of his heart! I am so pleased to realize that some body look at my problem very attentively! sir, thank you!

so,

** I have tried using different usb cable to flash

** I have tried both 3.9 or 3.7 odin

** I have tried different pc to flash

** I have used 2.0 or 3.0 both usb cable

** I have tried both kies3 or previous kies
** I am giving here the whole odin texts which
was shown
"<ID:0/008> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> P905XXUANC3_P905BTUAND2_P905XXUANA7_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/008> Odin v.3 engine (ID:8)..
<ID:0/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/008> Initialzation..
<ID:0/008> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/008> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/008> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/008> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/008> tz.mbn
<ID:0/008> sdi.mbn
<ID:0/008> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/008> boot.img
<ID:0/008> recovery.img
<ID:0/008> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/008> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/008> Removed!!
<ID:0/008> Added!!"

** Long installation process means 5-7 minutes! (I think it is normal, sorry)

** yes, I have used all high end android devices and all was rooted, installed cwm recovery, custom room, so I have experience well on android I am not new to play with android operating system. even now I am also using Note 3 with Omega custom rom and working great.

** I am thinking may be the problem is about pit. and I don't know where I will find a .pit file for SM-P905. some how may be the pit of my note pro is corrupted. i don't know actually I am not a developer!

Here all you wanted to know!
Dear Sir please help me to make alive my Galaxy Note Pro!
Please!!!

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
screen shot!

after the failed flashing operation all the time my devices shows, i am giving a screen shot!

Attachments

• 20140604_124856.jpg
    20140604_124856.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 325

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
Downloaded 3 Firmware

Already I have downloaded 3 rom, (because I thought the firmware file was corrupted) but by studying your post I know now when ever odin accept any firmware that means the rom file is not corrupted! thanks!

P905XXUANAE_P905DBTANA6_DBT.zip

P905XXUANAE_P905OXXANA7_BTU.zip

P905XXUANC3_P905BTUAND2_BTU.zip

i have download this 3 files!

esgie

Feb 17, 2013
Ok, we shall try to flash firmware otherwise, using more advanced method.
Note that if ur knox isn't yet tripped - it WILL trip it, breaking your warranty (in this case it's better to send the device to service center - i suppose something's broken...). If it is tripped, you have nothing to lose...
1. Download:
http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/25492738/file.html
do not rename the file, it should be named recovery.img
2. Using this tool
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2446269
convert provided recovery.img to tar.md5 format
3. Flash it with odin (it should take a few sec to finish and it should succeed as recovery seems to flash ok on your device)
4. Enter recovery mode by holding power+home+vol up. Warning should appear about warranty and then custom recovery should appear on screen..
5. Using touch menu seek thru options and thru wipe menu format the system partition, as well as wipe/format data and cache (any errors?). Leave the device for a moment...
6. Simultanously, open one of 2+ gig tar.md5 firmwares (i recommend to choose one which you tried to flash with odin in your last trial) downloaded from sammobile with winrar or 7zip (if error about bad end of file appears ignore it) and extract system.img.ext4 somewhere...
7. Download simg2img from post #19
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2191930&page=2
and use it to convert sparse image extracted from firmware tar.md5 (system.img.ext4) to raw image (let's say output file is called system.img)
8. Copy system.img to root of empty micro sd card (fat32 or exfat formatted). Check if it has been copied correctly. Put the micro sd card into device. Reboot recovery once again
9. Advanced -> terminal/console -> use default directory ( / ), console window should open. Using simple onscreen keyboard input:
dd if=/external_sd/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p23
Be careful - if ur on P905 the last number should be "23", inputting otherwise may result in unrecoverable hard brick!!! Also, process may take a LONGER while, like 10 mins, its ok, even if there is no progress indicator. Youll know it finished when keyboard will show back again (any errors here??)
10. Reboot AGAIN to recovery, go to Mounts menu, tick system, data and cache (does tick within system work?)
11. Go to terminal as in pt 9, but this time enter:
restorecon -R /cache
restorecon -R /data
restorecon -R /system
(errors?)
12. Reboot into system and cross yer fingers

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
mismatch

Note that if ur knox isn't yet tripped - it WILL trip it, breaking your warranty (in this case it's better to send the device to service center - i suppose something's broken...). If it is tripped, you have nothing to lose...
1. Download:
2. Using this tool
3. Flash it with odin (it should take a few sec to finish and it should succeed as recovery seems to flash ok on your device)
4. Enter recovery mode by holding power+home+vol up. Warning should appear about warranty and then custom recovery should appear on screen..
5. Using touch menu seek thru options and thru wipe menu format the system partition, as well as wipe/format data and cache (any errors?). Leave the device for a moment...
6. Simultanously, open one of 2+ gig tar.md5 firmwares (i recommend to choose one which you tried to flash with odin in your last trial) downloaded from sammobile with winrar or 7zip (if error about bad end of file appears ignore it) and extract system.img.ext4 somewhere...
and use it to convert sparse image extracted from firmware tar.md5 (system.img.ext4) to raw image (let's say output file is called system.img)
8. Copy system.img to root of empty micro sd card (fat32 or exfat formatted). Check if it has been copied correctly. Put the micro sd card into device. Reboot recovery once again
9. Advanced -> terminal/console -> use default directory ( / ), console window should open. Using simple onscreen keyboard input:
Be careful - if ur on P905 the last number should be "23", inputting otherwise may result in unrecoverable hard brick!!! Also, process may take a LONGER while, like 10 mins, its ok, even if there is no progress indicator. Youll know it finished when keyboard will show back again (any errors here??)
10. Reboot AGAIN to recovery, go to Mounts menu, tick system, data and cache (does tick within system work?)
restorecon -R /cache
restorecon -R /data
restorecon -R /system
(errors?)

according to your link there is no file, named "recovery.img" but the file name is "libwfdsm.so"

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 67
  • sha.JPG
    sha.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

esgie

Feb 17, 2013
DAAAAMN wrong link copied.
Wait a sec, I'll upload it in a while. Until then, you may start doing steps 6-8.

EDIT:
Here u go
http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/40021725/file.html

PS: using above method (a similiar one, to be exact...), figured out on my own to be exact, I have managed to unroot and revert to fully-stock state my old Note10.1, which I was not able to flash straight via Odin at all because the port's been broken, so I was able to send it to service center without any worries (at least related to the possibility of detecting the customization by the service) The difference is that you are able to flash files via Odin - except the system - but also that my device was booting at the very beginning, and yours not. Neverthless, with appropriate modifications, it should work on P905 too - or at least explain what's the reason of your issues.

Don't want to worry you, but as of now i am considering physical NAND damage as the most possible cause of the issue... But that's a theory only. Good luck.

Last edited:

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
problem solved!

DAAAAMN wrong link copied.
Wait a sec, I'll upload it in a while. Until then, you may start doing steps 6-8.

EDIT:
Here u go
http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/40021725/file.html

PS: using above method (a similiar one, to be exact...), I managed to unroot and revert to fully-stock state my old Note10.1, which I was not really able to flash straight via Odin because the port's been broken. The difference is that you are able to flash files via Odin - except the system - but also that my device was booting at the very beginning, and yours not. Neverthless, with appropriate modifications, it should work on P905 too - or at least explain what's the reason of your issues.

Don't want to worry you, but as of now i am considering physical NAND damage as the most possible cause of the issue... But that's a theory only. Good luck.

my dear sir, don't know how but my note pro start up automatically. before some minutes on my display "unauthorized operation occur, please restart you device" was showing. so after pressing ok, device tried to restart but it was stuck on recovery mode. so i started my device manually. when I pressed reboot from recovery everything was fine and still now it is working properly!

I don't know is going gone on my device. but is a mystery for me!

one thing, after trying to fix my devices long time my note pro battery was empty and i could not able to charge because it was stuck on download mode. after searching i got a boot image.tar.md5 for SM-P905. and install that Samsung logo appear, and device started charging. and after charge a few, It was start up!

now when I am connecting it with my pc, kies says I need to update my device. but previously my device was updated the latest software. I am giving the screen shot!

what will I do now? just update via kies and star to operate my device normally?

esgie

Feb 17, 2013
my dear sir, don't know how but my note pro start up automatically. before some minutes on my display "unauthorized operation occur, please restart you device" was showing. so after pressing ok, device tried to restart but it was stuck on recovery mode. so i started my device manually. when I pressed reboot from recovery everything was fine and still now it is working properly!

I don't know is going gone on my device. but is a mystery for me!

one thing, after trying to fix my devices long time my note pro battery was empty and i could not able to charge because it was stuck on download mode. after searching i got a boot image.tar.md5 for SM-P905. and install that Samsung logo appear, and device started charging. and after charge a few, It was start up!

now when I am connecting it with my pc, kies says I need to update my device. but previously my device was updated the latest software. I am giving the screen shot!

what will I do now? just update via kies and star to operate my device normally?

Did I understood well that after emptying the battery of the non-working device out and recharging it back again at least a little, the device started to work again? Seems like... eeee...? some voltage circulating through the mainboard was the cause?
Well, I bet it was faulty or somehow corrupted boot.img (as it was the only partition you have flashed between the time the device seemed damaged and time the device started to work again), but I am not sure what really happened.

As to the firmware update question: from the screenshot attached I can see that you are now running XXUNAE firmware. Proposed XXUNC3 is a newer one so in general it is recommended to do the update. However, we cannot be sure anyhow if your device will not react in a same way as before. However, current updates seems to be minor ones (they concentrate on security policies and not on features...) so my recommendation is to leave it alone, at least until some more important update...

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
ohh nooo! befor reading you reply I was tried to update my device by kies. but same thing happen here. stuck on Invalid ext4 image!

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
i am so tired

Did I understood well that after emptying the battery of the non-working device out and recharging it back again at least a little, the device started to work again? Seems like... eeee...? some voltage circulating through the mainboard was the cause?
Well, I bet it was faulty or somehow corrupted boot.img (as it was the only partition you have flashed between the time the device seemed damaged and time the device started to work again), but I am not sure what really happened.

As to the firmware update question: from the screenshot attached I can see that you are now running XXUNAE firmware. Proposed XXUNC3 is a newer one so in general it is recommended to do the update. However, we cannot be sure anyhow if your device will not react in a same way as before. However, current updates seems to be minor ones (they concentrate on security policies and not on features...) so my recommendation is to leave it alone, at least until some more important update...

emergency firmware recovery start on kies but also stuck on "invalid ext4 image" and my my pc says to go service center! giving two screen shot!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 152

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
before closing my notebook I am just hit the "CF-Auto-Root-viennalte-viennaltexx-smp905.tar" and surprisingly saw after successfully install the root file by Odin, my device start-up again. but problem is "unfortunately Samsung keyboard stopped" sowing. so I have install google stock keyboard and without Samsung keyboard it is running properly. though it is now working properly without samsung keyboard but I am little bit unhappy with my new Note Pro, I have just purchased this 3-6-14 and to day 5-6-14. I can not even look at thish properly because after purchasing it is disturbing! many thanks dear sir!

now I will try again with your instruction!

ornobohornish

Jun 3, 2013
can not find "simg2img"

1. Download:
2. Using this tool
restorecon -R /cache
restorecon -R /data
restorecon -R /system
(errors?)

dear sir,

in your link nowhere i found "simg2img"! I searched all the page number 9 but no where I found "simg2img"!!!

help please

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

able to download simg2img from this link: http://web.djodjo.org/?a=download:android:tools:x86_linux:ext4tools

but how to use it to convert sparse image extracted from firmware tar.md5 (system.img.ext4) to raw image (let's say output file is called system.img)?

how to use simg2img?

Last edited:

jopop

Jan 19, 2011
Will this work with the SM-P900?

Be careful - if ur on P905 the last number should be "23", inputting otherwise may result in unrecoverable hard brick!

Hi Esgie.

I'm assuming that most of this would work for the SM-P900 (wifi only) version too? What would I use for the dd command in step 9?

Thanks for your help.

Jo Pop

MLodyXX

Mar 29, 2011
before closing my notebook I am just hit the "CF-Auto-Root-viennalte-viennaltexx-smp905.tar" and surprisingly saw after successfully install the root file by Odin, my device start-up again. but problem is "unfortunately Samsung keyboard stopped" sowing. so I have install google stock keyboard and without Samsung keyboard it is running properly. though it is now working properly without samsung keyboard but I am little bit unhappy with my new Note Pro, I have just purchased this 3-6-14 and to day 5-6-14. I can not even look at thish properly because after purchasing it is disturbing! many thanks dear sir!

now I will try again with your instruction!

I had same problem, install rom from greece. Some roms from sammobile and samsung firmware are giving errors, I have tested polish and british giving "odin: invalid ext4 image" error. After installing greece one everything works flawlessly, samsung keyboard also.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[SOLUTION]

what is the problem?
    how to flash SM-P905?

Please Healp!!!
    emergency firmware recovery start on kies but also stuck on "invalid ext4 image" and my my pc says to go service center! giving two screen shot!
    My recommendation: repeat the procedure Ive posted earlier. Well se what happens
    It looks like some part of your nand may be physically corrupted... and unwriteable.