Bootloop and non-stop restarting

Search This thread

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
So i tried flashing a new recovery and rom. here's how the process went down.

1. flash recovery
  2. reboot
  3. flash rom
  4. clear cache - failed to mount /cache uh oh
  5. try to boot - fail
  6. reboot to recovery - flash old .zip of twrp 2.6.x
  7. reboot followed by boot loops and no known to turn off device. Can't reach recovery now.

i do NOT have a windows computer which makes using odin hard. is there any way for me to fix this or do i need to locate a windows computer and use ODIN? does anyone know how i can at least get it to stop rebooting in the meantime?
Edit: i can reach download mode, that's all i can do at the moment as far as i know.

Last edited by a moderator:

xda_user_p600

Dec 30, 2013
I had the problem myself.

Keep trying VolUp+Home, you must hit it in the right moment between screen cycles. Try pushing and releasing Pwr button too while you hold VolUp+Home, releasing it right before a screen cycle.

I was about to open my tablet to remove the battery but decided to try the last time. Finally I pressed Pwr+VolUp+Home and the right moment when the screen cycled, then released Pwr, and I was in recovery.

Last edited:

bootx1

Feb 27, 2009
Try pulling external sd card to see if it boots up, just in case the card is causing the problem.

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
You need PC ODIN... The bootloader wasn't flashed, hence the problem. Flashing another JB recovery won't fix this...
You need to flash the whole rom in PC ODIN, this may require a factory reset.
Find TWRP2.7.0.1 and flash that, it's KK friendly, then flash the latest supersu (I believe its 1.99r3)using TWRP.
You should now be OK to go, Android KK with root and a custom recovery.
Th only drawback is that if you're external sd is formatted exFAT you can't make backups to it. though you can transfer the file to a PC then the Appropriate file on the external sd afterwards...

warboat

Dec 20, 2005
Melbourne
Try pulling external sd card to see if it boots up, just in case the card is causing the problem.

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I don't know if this helps but my Note3 used to have this issue and heated up a lot around the SD card slot right after booting up and would reboot and reboot. Pulling out the sd card helped a little, but to get it to NOT reboot, I would put it in the fridge or put a cold can of drink on top of the sd card area with the battery cover off. The phone would reboot every second day or so and I would need to fridge boot it again.
This was shi77ting me heaps and I was close to giving up on my Note3 when the 4.4 OTA update came thru.
After the update, the Note 3 became rock solid and I was getting 500+ hr up times without itself rebooting. it only reboots now because I shut it down and I cant remember it rebooting by itself since the kitkat update. I love my Note3 now and run it rooted (Kingo Rooted), with SDfix, and dont wish for any update that might upset this rock solid stability.
My note3 is the N900 Exynos 5420 version.
My Note10 is the N605 SD800 version and it runs 4.3 very solid and I'm not keen to upset it with a kitkat update as im happy with the way it is.

mnt54

Jun 8, 2014
actually, you CAN use a Mac

So i tried flashing a new recovery and rom. here's how the process went down.

[...i do NOT have a windows computer which makes using odin hard. is there any way for me to fix this or do i need to locate a windows computer and use ODIN? does anyone know how i can at least get it to stop rebooting in the meantime?
Edit: i can reach download mode, that's all i can do at the moment as far as i know.

I was faced with the same problem when I upgraded to KitKat and needed to enable writing to my external SDcard by rooting. I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro running an i7 chip. I was running OS X 10.8x at the time, but have since upgraded to 10.9 since Apple reenabled local syncing of contacts--all these big companies play the same games trying to own your data.

I used Parallels Desktop 9 and installed Windows 8.1. Once I did that, I was able to get Odin running on the Windows side to see my Note 10.1 (2014). After that, rooting was straightforward, just as if I was on a PC. You may not want to go to the expense (about $200 for Parallels and Win 8.1) but I wanted it to run the latest version of Office. Being able to root was a nice bonus for me.

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
Thanks guys. I ended up finding a windows 8 iso and installing in boot camp. It was a slow process but I eventually got it to work

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk