UPDATED 8/19: Custom, thin, snap on case

Search This thread

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
Eagerly awaiting! This is going to look so nice on my Prime/Dock!
Will there be an online site once everything hits production? Looks like demand is starting to rack up hope you got enough products to satisfy these hungry Vulcher's including myself lol

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium App

theledman

Aug 4, 2010
www.flickr.com
i just hope that you're going to ship it also outside the US, right?

Wysyłane z mojego Transformer Prime TF201 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Yep, the shipping cost will be more, but yea for sure we'll have it for international customers :)

Eagerly awaiting! This is going to look so nice on my Prime/Dock!
Will there be an online site once everything hits production? Looks like demand is starting to rack up hope you got enough products to satisfy these hungry Vulcher's including myself lol

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium App

Don't worry, we'll figure out the logistics of that once we get there!

leyvatron

Dec 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Looking awesome....
One thing I want to bring up - if dust gets into the case and starts to build up would it start to scratch the housing of the TP?

Sent from my EPAD using xda premium

EnemyOfGlaDOS

Nov 10, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
Looking awesome....
One thing I want to bring up - if dust gets into the case and starts to build up would it start to scratch the housing of the TP?

With a snug fit it shouldn't allow enough/if any movement between case and tablet. The only place dust would be able to collect is around the rim or edge of the port openings which is pretty well protected from any sort of friction that could happen.

.. but good question!:)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

theledman

Aug 4, 2010
www.flickr.com
Looking awesome....

With a snug fit it shouldn't allow enough/if any movement between case and tablet. The only place dust would be able to collect is around the rim or edge of the port openings which is pretty well protected from any sort of friction that could happen.

.. but good question!:)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Dust will get inside no matter what, even if it's snug. I've seen dust behind my friend's iphone 3gs incipio case even though it was a super tight fit. As long as you're not throwing it aroundin abrasive dust, abrasive dust shouldn't get inside and it shouldn't scratch.

A little trick you can always do is to get tissue paper or something else that's equally thin, and snap on the case around the tissue paper. Then you just rip the excess off and you have a snugger fitting case.

Reactions: rift999

Bruuce

May 12, 2010
Wichitawesome
The dust won't be as invasive on a tablet as it would be on a phone, which is rolling around in a lint filled pocket. A review I found on youtube for a similar case by SwitchEasy for the iPad said that no dust or dirt biuldup had occurred over the testing period.

Reactions: EnemyOfGlaDOS

disasterdan

Feb 1, 2012
Ok what about a cover for the prime without the dock AND the new dongle that is coming out?

I have waited, finally bought a case (Cassen) for my prime tablet ( I have the dock too ) only to find out 2 days later that Asus has some god awful dongle to attach to make the GPS work.

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
Ok what about a cover for the prime without the dock AND the new dongle that is coming out?

I have waited, finally bought a case (Cassen) for my prime tablet ( I have the dock too ) only to find out 2 days later that Asus has some god awful dongle to attach to make the GPS work.

It's not like you will be sporting the dongle 24/7. It's only when you need GPS and many people don't use it that much or at all. Although you will have to have an alternative case for when you do have to use the GPS.

Bruuce

May 12, 2010
Wichitawesome
@jjdevega: My GPS dongle hasn't arrived yet, but it seems from all the pictures that my hard shell case should work for the dongle if it already as a cut-out for the dock. Is this a correct assumption? I want to make sure that my design is as useful to as many people as possible.

theledman

Aug 4, 2010
www.flickr.com
When will this case be available? The case looks ideal for those with a dock. Count me in too.

As soon as I get prototypes ironed out, which should get faster once i return to the states :) I'm working as hard as I can!

I dont have my dongle yet but as soon as I do, i'll see if the fit on the tablet is the same as the dock. If so, we're in luck, but if not, we'll add that to the list of variations that we might do after the initial run of tablet+dock cases.

The dongle actually takes up less space on the front and back of the prime than the dock does. However it does stick out a bit.

If the case it cut to allow the dock to work then the dongle will also fit but will have about a 1/4 inch reveal between the edge of the dongle and the case (again if cut to fit the dock).

Reactions: Bruuce

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Custom Hard Case for TFP + Dock
    This is a thread exists to explore the possibility of creating our own custom thin hard case for the Transformer Prime. Currently, there is no manufacturer out there who does it so we've taken it into our own hands.

FAQ, PLEASE READ, IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW:
    1. What is it?
    This will be a thin, plastic, snap on case for the Transformer prime and the dock.
    2. How can I get it?
    Please fill out the following form to be included in the list of people who want the case. IMPORTANT: I'm sorry but the old survey has been deleted and a new survey with more relevant questions has been created. Rather than sending emails or PM's to everyone on the list individually to gather additional info (not everyone gave a username or email), it will just be easier for me to collect the information all at once. Plus it will weed out those that are no longer interested. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHVXVWNNa0NnVDlFRGFQVlp3aDh2cmc6MQ
    3. How much will it cost?
    Currently, I'm aiming for no more than $30 a case to compete with other cases out there but until I find a vendor who is willing to take on a low volume job, this is still up in the air. A preliminary quote from an online parts manufacturer had it at $100 a case! So if anyone works in the plastics or injection molding (or even rapid prototyping) industry, shoot me a PM. UPDATE: Cost will be $20 shipped. Kickstarter page will be up by 8/18/2012
    4. When can I get it?
    As soon as I get a plastics vendor and finalize the case dimensions and geometry, I can give you an estimated date of completion. I have a full time job and many other commitments so I apologize if I can't move this project along faster. It takes time (and a bit of sneakiness) to get my prototypes printed at work. Update: Waiting on update from manufacturer on the timeline.
    5. What colors will this be available in?
    Again, once I get a plastics vendor, I can see what colors the majority of us want.

LAST NOTE: Please be patient. I have no desire to abandon the xda community and your interest in this project, especially when you have all been so supportive. With that said, I'm only one man doing this in the little spare time I have....not to mention it's my first time being an active participant in xda (look at my post count) as well as designing, manufacturing, and distributing a product all on my own. So give me some time, and those that are willing to wait will be rewarded.

UPDATES
    All past posts have been reorganized, with the most recent post being at the top:

--EDIT 8/19
    Kickstarter has been submitted for approval! Check out the link here! This will be live (with a video!) once kickstarter approves the project.

--EDIT 8/11
    Kickstarter Postponed to August 18 because Amazon Payments account registration (required to start a kickstarter) takes 7 days. This is at the latest, may have this live earlier since I registered this past Thursday.

Stay tuned. Will update thread as soon as kickstarter goes live. Everything is ready. Thanks for your patience.

--EDIT 8/9
    dear xda tfp community,

it's been a tough couple months for me (hence the lack of an update) but without getting into specific details, i no longer have access to CAD or 3D prototyping capabilities :( i really apologize for the lack of communication and i know many of you are eager to get a case.

before everything in life changed for me, i managed to [sneakily] backup the models i made of the case so i'm still going to finish this, even if it kills me. i won't abandon you guys, you've been understanding and supportive throughout this process

so here's the situation. my contact in china tells me it will cost $7150 in tooling costs to be able to make the case. the case itself will cost $1.60...meaning if i get 500 people to sign up, it'll be about $16 a case which is my target. bear in mind, this yields NO PROFIT for me.

the problem is that I only have 150 signups, which makes each case $50.

Unless everyone is ok with that (i doubt it) we need more people. that is where i am right now. the only solution that i can think of this is to make a kickstarter so there is financial commitment from everyone that wants in. the kickstarter will be live by THIS SATURDAY. once it goes live, i'll update this post again and will need your help to promote it to all the folks who aren't on xda. please note that the kickstarter price will be $20 a unit to account for kickstarter and amazon's fees as well as shipping.

TL;DR...life got messed up, i still love xda so this project WILL get finished. kickstarter for project will go live on saturday. sorry for being MIA.

--EDIT 6/21
    Update: I've found a vendor in in China that's able to produce these for an agreeable cost! I just received a quote so it will still take time for them to produce the tooling needed to make the cases.

Once I get a prototype returned from them to sample the material and ensure it's to spec (and post pics), I'll set up a kickstarter so people can fund the order for the cases. Or i might just purchase a bunch and sell it that way since kickstarter actually charges a percentage for all successfully funded projects.

TLDR: FOUND VENDOR. WILL UPDATE WITH CONCRETE TIMELINE ONCE CASE MATERIAL IS VALIDATED.

--EDIT 5/8
    Finally have a case that fits. Here are some pictures...next task is to have the dock case made. Case thickness has been reduced to 1.75mm. I think i might push it down to 1mm but we'll see. 3D prototyping material isnt too strong but I'm pretty sure our finished production case will be 1mm or thinner.
    IMG_20120508_135933.jpg

IMG_20120508_135908.jpg

IMG_20120508_140505.jpg

IMG_20120508_140414.jpg

IMG_20120508_140405.jpg

--EDIT 4/24
    Finally got the prototypes! here are the pictures. The scale is a bit off so they didn't really fit perfectly but since I have a physical object in my hands, nailing down the dimensions and having it perfectly fit will be easier from here on out. I will tweak the model and have another round printed out for next monday, when I will be in the office. Until then, enjoy! (By the way, i will be sending out a survey for colors and textures soon so everyone who filled out the google form, look out for a message! If you haven't filled it out, click here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHUxa3B2U0FsX01vOXNodVBack44S2c6MQ)
    photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

--EDIT 4/20
    Yea I know it's not 4/20 in the US yet, but I'm overseas in Switzerland where it is 4/20. Plus i couldn't wait until tomorrow to update so I'm doing it now :)

Here's the picture of the dock case finally! I know it looks pretty simple but if you take your dock and flip it over, you'll notice the curves are all blended into each other and arent too straightforward. Plus i'm measuring it all with a caliper and ruler, nothing else. No 3D models to go off of...it's quite difficult!
    1. Overall view
    2. Side view
    3. I made the chamfer for the SD card slot opening small so it would be more recessed to prevent any SD cards from popping out.
    4. Added a Macbook-esque cutout to make it easier to open and close the dock+tablet.
    a_SUS_DOCK.jpg

ANDD here's the two pieces together. Random colors to differentiate between the two, not actual production colors (though if the masses vote for it, we can certainly see if this matte metallic blue would be possible)
    a_SUS_DOCK2.jpg

I sent this off to be printed and should have it by Monday the 30th when I finally return to the States. My coworker should be bringing the tablet side of the case over to where I am by next Monday so I should have pictures then!

Until then, remember to fill out this form and to hit the thanks button if you can!
    [/COLOR]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHVXVWNNa0NnVDlFRGFQVlp3aDh2cmc6MQ

--EDIT 4/19
    Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this. I'm currently in Switzerland until the end of the month which is why I haven't been able to take pictures of the prototypes which are finished (how frustrating!) and sitting on my desk in Jersey. I'll try to see if I can get my coworker to bring them next week when he comes. For now, I will have pictures of the Dock model done by tomorrow so stay tuned!

Thanks for all the support everyone! 78 of you have already signed up which is great considering I was originally just going to print a case just for myself! Remember to keep filling out this form if you want in:
    [/COLOR]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHVXVWNNa0NnVDlFRGFQVlp3aDh2cmc6MQ
    Once I have verified the prototype will work, I will begin taking votes on the surface finish/colors/configurations etc.

--EDIT 4/13
    3D printer at work apparently failed twice to print it. :mad: Tech guy said he can have it by monday, but I will be out of the country for work from the 15th until the 30th. I know i promised pictures by today...but unfortunately, unless you want pictures of failed print jobs, I won't be able to get pictures until the 30th.

Fret not though!... instead I will be working hard during the next two weeks to get models of the dock and other variations (origami cover model, one with a kick stand etc) done as well and submit those models for printing so that I can have them all on the 30th. Consider this delayed gratification...you'll get them all at once instead! :)

On a side note, I do not own an origami cover and can't accurately measure dimensions from pictures so if someone has one that they can do measurements for me for, shoot me a pm

--EDIT 4/11/12
    I've created a form for those interested...this will be my point of reference for who might be interested so please fill it out if you want in. As of right now, I'm focusing on making a case that would fit with the dock. If I have time later, I will consider the other requests of having built in stands or ones compatible with the origami cover.

Also, as promised, here are some quick teaser pics of the case. Wall thickness is about 2.25mm (Will be thinner if we use different plastic...the 3D printer uses soft plastic so I had to beef up the thickness a bit. Expect final wall thickness to be sub 1.5mm). Also sent my design in to be printed by this Friday. Hit the thanks button if you can! This took a bit of time to mock up and 3D print material ain't cheap!
    case_1.jpg

case_2.jpg

Original Post:
    Just wondering if anyone would be interested in a custom, thin, hard case for the prime and the dock. No one makes a thin case...they're all either leather slip-in type cases or bulky rubber+plastic cases that dont show off how attractive and thin the prime is.

I'm thinking along the lines of this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-iPhone-Transparent-Clear-Around/dp/tech-data/B002NGEFSC

Basically something that's thin and keeps the curves and the form factor of the prime that will stop it from scratching and whatnot. I have a 3D printer at work and would be fine with designing a model of it and testing it out. Once i have the form factor down and there's enough interest, I could set up a kickstarter or send it off to be made in bulk. I'll be posting pictures of the progress on this original post once i get my design done.

--edit: doesn't have to be clear either. im sure we can kick around ideas like this: https://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-2-cases/pixelskin-hd-wrap-for-ipad-2.html ...especially if speck isn't going to do it.
    With all the talk of putting vinyl and all underneath this would mean this would fit over my skinomi correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

Possibly.
    First off, the vinyl is going on the outside of my case since its adhesive-backed not fronted. ;)
    Secondly, I don't have a skin to test. But I imagine that the back would be OK. If your skin goes up the sides of the tablet, then it might be a tight fit. My case is very snug in conforming to the Prime.

Next Post, I have a treat for you!

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Here's my most recent prototype. Its the carbon-fiber vinyl version. It also includes my secret weapon, a speaker redirect! I saw others posting about a similar addon, so I thought it was time to show off my design. Check out the video and the up-close pics. (remember this is a prototype, so please ignore the scuffs on the case :eek:)

[VIDEO] sorry again for Mr. blurry cam.

Edit: I just tested the volume in my living room, playing a song that averaged about 81 dB. My case bumped it to an average of 86 dB, replaying the same part of the song. Its a very noticeable increase (and also decrease for those on the backside)

IMG_20120524_205149.jpg

IMG_20120524_205405.jpg
    Still an update would be nice, even just to say that this is still looking like it could be reality:)

Thanks Boovilly. This project is very close to a real pay off.

There are now 27 pages here, so I don't expect everyone to have seen the post I made on Jun 22 about having a product available in a month. I have been working diligently toward this goal and things are still on schedule.

There are still a few vendor related pieces of the puzzle that are out of my control, but to keep costs low (under $20) I've been developing my own tooling. This will be more profitable for us in the long run, however trial and error takes both extra time and money. Keep the faith everyone and keep your eyes open for my posts! :good:
    Bruuce, will you sell & ship this product to Asia?:confused:

Yes. I will have to figure out the shipping costs but other than that, I don't see why not :)

Will there be the option of having the carbon fiber film on the first batch too?

No. The carbon fiber costs $1000 per roll, so I need to sell a first batch of "clear" before I buy the carbon. However, those that buy a clear case will also get a coupon to thank them for being an early adopter.
    Fear not ShelW.

That is my plan. But while I'm waiting on a vendor to correct an issue with some of my tooling, I thought I'd get a head start on finding a dock to dismantle.

As soon as I have a repeatable product, you'll be able to buy it :D