Protecting the gamepad

Search This thread

rubbergnome

Oct 23, 2011
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you found a way to protect the gamepad in some way. I mean, in the same vein of the carbon fiber armor. I found something on ebay (dunno if I can post links), which is exactly a carbon fiber armor which also has a piece to cover the gamepad. I want something like that because I find myself not using the gamepad very often just for my obsession of having clean hands first and stuff like that. Also, a cover/sticker/whatever would lessen the space between the two pieces of the phone.

As that product would be shipped from Hong Kong... do you know any kind of this stuff? Perhaps, if there's not, did any of you think of crafting one? I'm thinking about doing that. Of course not carbon fiber made, just anything remotely similar.

sufy1000

Oct 22, 2011
To be honest you only take out the gamepad when you need it otherwise it's hidden underneath. So I don't think you'd really need to protect it.

rubbergnome

Oct 23, 2011
I think I'm gonna use a screen protector to cover the gamepad. I'm gonna cut out the various buttons using a 1:1 printed image of the gamepad and then apply the various pieces. Who knows! :D

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
I think I'm gonna use a screen protector to cover the gamepad. I'm gonna cut out the various buttons using a 1:1 printed image of the gamepad and then apply the various pieces. Who knows! :D
that seems a bit overprotective to be honest.

but each to their own... i have a case around my phone and a expert sheild on the screen but noting on the gamepad.

romcio47

Nov 27, 2010
Bydgoszcz
Jesus, don't be so overprotective, scratches doesn't disturb any touch responsiveness, gaming experience etc.
You should notice that touchpads surface isn't totally smooth so protector might fall off it soon.
I think that adding any protector might not help, even might cause scratchy damage to the flex cable that is right above touchpads when phone is "closed"!

icet925

Sep 14, 2009
I think the Xplay have tough buttons.
I've been playing games like street fighter on it and its been hardy.

I hate how some devices buttons goes soft over time, but the xperia play doesn't have this flaw.

sufy1000

Oct 22, 2011
I think the Xplay have tough buttons.
I've been playing games like street fighter on it and its been hardy.

I hate how some devices buttons goes soft over time, but the xperia play doesn't have this flaw.

I've used it for some time now and the buttons are a beast ! very well put together. Good job by Sony if you ask me :D

mp998

Mar 8, 2009
On Ebay they have a skin that will cover the game pad it has a black carbon fiber look to it.just search xperia play skin and you should find it.

Sent from my R800a using xda premium

Reactions: eksasol

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Finally ordered one, its pretty decent, doesn't fully cover the phone, but makes it look a bit nicer.

I had to use a pocket knife to push the sticker under the "sliding gap". I know I wasn't supposed to cover the buttons, but I like it that way.

rubbergnome

Oct 23, 2011
of course they are. x)

the only thing preventing me to order this beauty is: is this too thick to be on the inside of the phone? is this pushing the gap or hurting the back of the screen piece?

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
No, it can still slide out with no problem, the sliding is a tad less smooth, but its a very light rubbing, no real friction.

wasabiboi

Jan 30, 2012
Yep, I use the exact same skin on my Play.

Just slight rubbing when sliding the gamepad out.

Joysticks? still work perfectly fine.

The back skin protects the back from scratches extremely well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On Ebay they have a skin that will cover the game pad it has a black carbon fiber look to it.just search xperia play skin and you should find it.

Sent from my R800a using xda premium
    Just recieved my white one :)

SAM_0218.JPG
    How hard is those to install? Any pros or cons? Like grip for example? I am thinking to buy one because they look great! Thanks.

Very easy to install! Grip increased a lot and I think it looks very good :)