[Q] Samsung refuse to repair!

Search This thread

KKBoro

Sep 25, 2012
Had my S3 returned today from Samsung unrepaired

The reason: One of our engineers, has tested your phone and found that unauthorised rework has been previously carried out on your phone. Unfortunately, as this is not covered under Samsung's warranty obligations, this prevents us from repairing your device. We are therefore returning your phone un-repaired and in the condition it was received.

I have assured Samsung I have not tried rooting or updating the software with unofficial software.

Their response, which I find unbelievable was that and I quote "There are Apps on the Play Store that if downloaded, can alter your OS and thus make your phone unusable, this isn't covered by warranty".

My problem or the phones problem is it won't boot or charge. When plugged into the mains, it will only show the battery charge indicator, which doesn't spin. It just sits there frozen. Occasionally, it will boot to the Samsung welcome screen but load no further.

This problem isn't anything to do with me trying to root or add software I wasn't meant to or caused by a dodgy app.

I can't believe Samsung won't repair my phone after 5 months use!

What else can I do as at the moment it's an expensive paper weight?

OrionBG

Sep 21, 2004
London, UK
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2

I have assured Samsung I have not tried rooting or updating the software with unofficial software.

Their response, which I find unbelievable was that and I quote "There are Apps on the Play Store that if downloaded, can alter your OS and thus make your phone unusable, this isn't covered by warranty".

My problem or the phones problem is it won't boot or charge. When plugged into the mains, it will only show the battery charge indicator, which doesn't spin. It just sits there frozen. Occasionally, it will boot to the Samsung welcome screen but load no further.

This problem isn't anything to do with me trying to root or add software I wasn't meant to or caused by a dodgy app.

You can try to return it to the store you bought it from! In our country the law states that any defect that appears on the device to its 6th month of usage is a Factory defect unless the seller can prove otherwise! You can dig a little into your local laws regarding your liberties on the matter!
Sorry if I misused some of the terminology but English is not my native language!

sebarkh

Oct 7, 2010
Warsaw
Apps & Games
Contact google and show them the last message from service center. So it's play store guilty?
Claim Google then.

Sent from an electronic device.

irish-sid

Aug 18, 2011
i find that shocking.
out of interest can you get into download mode? power, home, volume down.
because if you're left hanging at least you could just flash an official stock.

ashkayuk

Feb 14, 2010
This isn't related but Samsung said they would not repair my GS3 headphones that stopped working because I bought it off ebay with the phone, saying warranty is not transferable.
just hope the I don't have anything wrong with the phone later on because of this. what a bunch of *insert something not nice here*

Edit: on there site it says "Warranty periods and warranty services are intended as a guide only and variations may occur. The warranty period applies from the date of purchase by the first customer and is transferable only between end-users."
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/warrantyInformation.do?page=POLICY.WARRANTY

Doesn't that mean they should repair it?

Last edited:
Reactions: member68

Kiahnlliya

Jan 21, 2011
Don't you have consumer rights people/lawyers where you live? Find them and talk to them. They will help you. They know what they're doing and companies fear the damage they can cause.

This is unacceptable.

Daelyn

Dec 17, 2006

The reason: One of our engineers, has tested your phone and found that unauthorised rework has been previously carried out on your phone. Unfortunately, as this is not covered under Samsung's warranty obligations, this prevents us from repairing your device. We are therefore returning your phone un-repaired and in the condition it was received.

They do not mention software/firmware in their reason for not repairing your phone. I interpret this as there is hardware work done on the phone.
It's far fetched, but maybe, just maybe, they're imposing it's low level stuff thats gone ape**** like bootloader/efs by using some crappy SIM Unlock tool/fix or flashing the wrong firmware.

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
Try another service center. In Canada I'm not asked anything.. if the manufactured date is within 15 months and the phone is linked to any local provider then free repair.

Sent from my SGH-I717 using xda premium

KKBoro

Sep 25, 2012
Thanks guys.

I asked the customer service lady what was meant by rework and she said it was the OS wasn't right.

I was then told to ring the tech support department. I told them I hadn't rooted it or updated the software with anything that wasn't official.

She said it was probably an App that altered the OS and it wasn't covered by warranty.

I don't see how me downloading Google Apps or Samsung Apps could completely trash my phone so that it's unusable. Fair enough if I'd downloaded from some dodgy website but I haven't.

I also said, I could go out and buy another brand new S3 and the same thing could happen again, she agreed!!!

If this IS true and Play Store apps can brick your phone, then if the media gets hold of this, Samsung sales will hit the floor!

SwiftSmoke

Apr 30, 2011
Sony Xperia 1 II
Thanks guys.

I asked the customer service lady what was meant by rework and she said it was the OS wasn't right.

I was then told to ring the tech support department. I told them I hadn't rooted it or updated the software with anything that wasn't official.

She said it was probably an App that altered the OS and it wasn't covered by warranty.

I don't see how me downloading Google Apps or Samsung Apps could completely trash my phone so that it's unusable. Fair enough if I'd downloaded from some dodgy website but I haven't.

I also said, I could go out and buy another brand new S3 and the same thing could happen again, she agreed!!!

If this IS true and Play Store apps can brick your phone, then if the media gets hold of this, Samsung sales will hit the floor!

Only problem being for an app to alter anything that might cause a brick it needs root. Your phone hasn't got it so the tech centre is talking out there ass.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

gchindi

Feb 20, 2012
Glasgow, UK
Thanks guys.

I think you are not fighting enough with sammy service centre, dont give up and come crying here, have you tried d options of changing battery n see if it resolves, also have you tried factory resetting your phone and see if it works... You are giving xda guys a clear picture of the problem with your phone...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

fenjen

Sep 28, 2008

Is flashing through odin still possible?

KKBoro

Sep 25, 2012
I think you are not fighting enough with sammy service centre, dont give up and come crying here, have you tried d options of changing battery n see if it resolves, also have you tried factory resetting your phone and see if it works... You are giving xda guys a clear picture of the problem with your phone...

Hardly crying but after spending £500 on a phone that lasts 5 months and Samsung refuse to repair it for a lame reason, I am a little hacked off.

I've tried a new battery and VOL UP+HOME+POWER. I did this before I sent it away to Samsung for repair.

I've tried 3 different charges, USB, Mains and a car charger. Nothing works.

I'm convinced there is a hardware fault. If you Google Samsung S3 wont charge, there are many results with the same problem.

My next step will be legal action.

mossy1963

Nov 28, 2010
Cardiff
ok this is very disappointing but honestly, have you done ANY of the following?
rooted the phone
unlocked the phone / sim
installed a custom rom
installed stock from a different region
installed an app from a source other than the play store
run an app that performs root operations
installed any mod
entered any system codes
or;
are you running a stock s3 as supplied factory fresh, apart from play store app installations, theme changes etc?

whatever you have told Samsung, which is it...... honestly? (you can tell me, no one else needs to know) :)

hboos

Jul 19, 2009
Hey, it seems a little weird that they are refusing to help you at all!

I've had samsung phones before and had them repaired no problem even with custom ROMs flashed on them..

I would either try a different service centre (without mentioning that this incident) or fill in the form here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla.../reporting_a_problem_to_trading_standards.htm

and then write an email back to the people telling them that you've contacted citizens advice and reported them to the trading standards. A gentle threat works wonders!

Good luck

KKBoro

Sep 25, 2012
ok this is very disappointing but honestly, have you done ANY of the following?
rooted the phone
unlocked the phone / sim
installed a custom rom
installed stock from a different region
installed an app from a source other than the play store
run an app that performs root operations
installed any mod
entered any system codes
or;
are you running a stock s3 as supplied factory fresh, apart from play store app installations, theme changes etc?

whatever you have told Samsung, which is it...... honestly? (you can tell me, no one else needs to know) :)

None of the above, it is 100% completely and utterly a stock handset. I even use a genuine Samsung case lol.

I had the last two iPhones, 3GS and 4 and never even jailbroke either of them. I run them how the manufacturers intended them to run.

That's what is so annoying about this!

Skander1998

May 23, 2012
Doha
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S7
You are either hiding a part of the story, or you are in the wrong service center.
If you didn't alter the phone (OS or Hardware) in ANY way there is NO WAY your phone will get "Bricked by an app in the play store".

So yep either you are hiding something, or that lady is crazy.. try another service center.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, if I hold VOL DOWN+HOME+POWER it takes me to a download OS menu. I may have accidentally chosen this before I sent it for repair. I was trying to hard reset at the time.

However, I don't want to flash a rom or make it work by invalidating the warranty any further.

The phone was brand new when I got it, so I know for a fact it hasn't been rooted and I haven't downloaded any Apps other than from Play or Samsung. This is what I find most frustrating about the situation.

My only guess is that when I accidentally accesses the download menu, this has told Samsung techs that I have messed with the OS, even though I haven't. And I certainly didn't download anything or even connect it to a PC when this happened. I was just trying to hard reset.

The latest from Samsung customer services is that they want me to send it to ANOTHER repair centre for a second opinion.

We will wait and see!

Lets refresh, your screwed as samsung wont repair it, but then you say "However, I don't want to flash a rom OR MAKE IT WORK by invalidating the warranty any further.
    Either grow some balls and do what everyone seems to be advising (flash a stock rom) or keep crying with your paper weight, and stop
    all your attention seeking. NO SYMPATHY HERE.
    why don't u post a pic of ur phone after u get into download mode(vol down+home+power) at least this way we can know if ur phone's binary count has been messed with.....obviously ur either hiding part of the story or ur hiding ur ignorance at flashing a rom! The guys here have promised to help so u either take their help or close this thread nd stop cryng ur ass off at sammy.

Please guys....this thread shudda died a long time ago. It's clearly not what it seems. Let's draw a line under it eh?

This isn't related but Samsung said they would not repair my GS3 headphones that stopped working because I bought it off ebay with the phone, saying warranty is not transferable.
    just hope the I don't have anything wrong with the phone later on because of this. what a bunch of *insert something not nice here*

Edit: on there site it says "Warranty periods and warranty services are intended as a guide only and variations may occur. The warranty period applies from the date of purchase by the first customer and is transferable only between end-users."
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/warrantyInformation.do?page=POLICY.WARRANTY

Doesn't that mean they should repair it?
    What a load of crap.

If there are apps on Play Store which can "alter the OS" or "render the phone unusable", then Samsung's engineers did a piss poor job of protecting the OS itself.

Go to a Samsung service centre personally and if they won't take the device for a repair, ask for a manager or anyone who you can leave a written complaint to.

And contact Samsung via e-mail, too.

Unfortunately, the nearest service centre to me is over 160 miles away! I am going to write to the complaints department though.