Unlocked Moto G on 4.4.2 and Unlocked Moto X on 4.4?

Search This thread

piccit

Dec 16, 2011
What are you really trying to ask? Whether or not the boot loader (or possibly SIM) is locked has nothing to do with available updates

Shoops

Aug 9, 2010
I'm just wondering why the Moto X has not been moved up to 4.4.2 while the Moto G has. I figured if they would move the Moto X up to 4.4.2.

I see the sprint version and the other carrier versions getting the update. Who will update the unlocked version of the Moto X?

Last edited:

piccit

Dec 16, 2011
I'm just wondering why the Moto X has not been moved up to 4.4.2 while the Moto G has. I figured if they would move the Moto X up to 4.4.2.

I see the sprint version and the other carrier versions getting the update. Who will update the unlocked version of the Moto X?

I'm actually not sure how the unlocked GSM version gets its updates (I have VZW). I was under the impression it was through your carrier anyway, or by manually flashing after the fastboot files are released. In either case, the updates are starting to roll out, but are not yet available for US carriers

Steve-x

Sep 28, 2013
Langley, BC
All of the updates come direct from Motorola - for all models of the Moto X and Moto G. The carriers simply "approve" of the firmware and give Motorola the ok to release it. The Dev/retail/tmobile edition (XT1053) which I assume you are referring to as the unlocked version requires no carrier approval but they likely test it with tmobile(and possibly other carriers) before releasing it.

4.4.2 for the US versions of the Moto X will be out very soon, it has been released for Canada and Brazil variations so far.

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.
Soak tests are already in play from what I hear, Verizon, T-Mobile, USC. Its comin :thumbup:

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

vikramkhalsa

Mar 7, 2012
www.amasingh.com
From what I read it might be because Moto G shipped with 4.4, so they got 1 update.. whereas we shipped with 4.2 and also got an update to 4.4.. so they started later.. not sure exactly.. but we should have it soon!

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
Plus there's more to update for the moto x and potentially more labor intensive as well since its a custom chip set essentially with the dual core krait 300 and the low power sensor processors. The moto g does not have the active display or the x8 system... But rather just a standard quad core qcom chip AMD LCD. Who knows how long Motorola was working on 4.4.2 for the g before it came out.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Shoops

Aug 9, 2010
If you have the unlocked gsm from Motorola who will supply you with your update?

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
Motorola but they are doing the tmo soak test anyway. Its a great build though because you don't get stuck with a carrier logo on the left like some of the other 4.4.2 builds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

needleyepoke

May 3, 2010
Loveland,Co
Google Pixel 7 Pro
After calling Motorola I'm pretty sure we have to wait till the carrier okay's it. When I called Motorola they just sent me the same link I already had for the files, which only had what's current. I was on T-Mobile for about a week and after i changed my SIM back to AT&T my phone said i had an update....don't know why..I downloaded it but forgot i still had twrp instead of stock. It rebooted (after not installing) and when i checked my phone said up to date and still on 4.4...

Sent from my XT1053 developers edition using xda app-developers app

Shoops

Aug 9, 2010
I just received my update to 4.4.2. Still not sure who the update came from. I have the unlocked gsm version that came with the tmobile sim but I am on at&t.