Root Problems with 4.4 Kitkat

Search This thread

brocnical

Oct 9, 2011
Ulster
Hello, I have unlocked my bootloader and tried to root by hotbooting into the Doomlord Kernel with 6.0.4.6 CWM Recovery and installing the zip for SuperSU / Koush Superuser (tried both and the result is the same for either).

The problem is that the SuperSU/Superuser app will work fine and seems to grant access to read files in areas you normally need root for to read (eg data/data), however, if I try to delete a system app (like Facebook) with any root File Explorer after mounting system R/W it will fail to delete. I also cannot install things like Busybox using stericsson's tool as it will just fail. Other root apps like System cleanup do not delete either.

I did not have this problem in the 4.3 build (though I used the Docomo method with locked bootloader here).

Any ideas? Something to do with the SELinux??

Last edited:

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
Hello, I have unlocked my bootloader and tried to root by hotbooting into the Doomlord Kernel with CWM Recovery and installing the zip for SuperSU / Koush Superuser (tried both and the result is the same for either).
You need to use the kernel, not hot boot it, reverting to the stock kernel is why you're having issues.

Reactions: brocnical

brocnical

Oct 9, 2011
Ulster
You need to use the kernel, not hot boot it, reverting to the stock kernel is why you're having issues.

Thanks! That did the trick. I assume this must be a Sony-specific thing requiring some specific kernel changes? Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought I remembered being able to hotboot Nexus devices and just root by flashing the Superuser zip.

brocnical

Oct 9, 2011
Ulster

Actually, there IS a way to hot-boot into CWM recovery with a custom kernel and then obtain root on your stock firmware/kernel. The problem is caused by Sony's RIC security feature which denies access to writing the /system partition, meaning that you only get a partial root . Solution involves running a command at every boot : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53085489&postcount=225

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I have unlocked my bootloader and tried to root by hotbooting into the Doomlord Kernel with CWM Recovery and installing the zip for SuperSU / Koush Superuser (tried both and the result is the same for either).