Nexus Official Fast Charger Review

Search This thread

jlmcr87

Apr 18, 2011
Nexus Official Fast Charger Review by jlmcr87:

Charger Features:
- 1.8 A.
- 1 meter cable (the same lenght of the charger that comes with the phone)
Thoughts: very good design and finish.Charge time over an hour (from 15%).

Charge time :

Normal charger: 2300/1200=1.9 hours
Fast charger: 2300/1500=1.5 hours (Nexus 5 charge is limited to 1.5A)

Price with shipping: 18 euros
Pictures:

Last edited:

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
Good to know!

I'm waiting a wireless charger that I bought on play store. But I'm planning to use the 1.8A charger included in the packagr which is the same (afaik) charger.

The only thing that preoccupies me....is the delivery time....It must arrive today (5-9 business days shipping..no tracking number).

Sent from my Nexus 5

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Good to know!

I'm waiting a wireless charger that I bought on play store. But I'm planning to use the 1.8A charger included in the packagr which is the same (afaik) charger.

The only thing that preoccupies me....is the delivery time....It must arrive today (5-9 business days shipping..no tracking number).

Sent from my Nexus 5

The charger from the Wireless charger is the one above (I bought both)

Reactions: thesebastian

prstorero

Sep 12, 2011
Dallas
I wonder why the made it 1.8 if the n5 is only capable of 1.5 at most. Does the n7 have a higher charge capacity? Or maybe they're future proofing it for the new slew of nexus'

prshosting.org

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
I think its more efficient to have a 1.8A charger working at 1.5A. (I'm not electrician so don't rely too much in this sentence).

Also..because is targeted to different nexus devices and (also) the wireless charger pad.

Pandages

Apr 3, 2012
I wonder why the made it 1.8 if the n5 is only capable of 1.5 at most. Does the n7 have a higher charge capacity? Or maybe they're future proofing it for the new slew of nexus'

prshosting.org
while those are possible minor considerations, the major one is for powering the wireless charger:

Conversion of 5VDC to a magnetic field, back into and inductive coil, into 5VDC again, comes with losses (in the form of heat). The Qi spec allows for the output of a inductive charger to meet but not exceed 1Amp. To do that, the input needs to be higher, about 1.5-2.0A. Ultimately what makes it to the battery will be less than 1A, probably 0.8-0.7A, so for the fastest charging, always use a cable.

That said, for overnight, Qi is great. Trickle charging is good for LiPo cells. (Conversely, heat is very bad for them, so the heat from the VDC->inductive->VDC->chemical energy isn't great. Life is about tradeoffs, haha.)

Reactions: thesebastian

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus Official Fast Charger Review by jlmcr87:

Charger Features:
    - 1.8 A.
    - 1 meter cable (the same lenght of the charger that comes with the phone)
    Thoughts: very good design and finish.Charge time over an hour (from 15%).

Charge time :

Normal charger: 2300/1200=1.9 hours
    Fast charger: 2300/1500=1.5 hours (Nexus 5 charge is limited to 1.5A)

Price with shipping: 18 euros
    Pictures:

Good to know!

Sent from my Nexus 5

The charger from the Wireless charger is the one above (I bought both)

prshosting.org
    while those are possible minor considerations, the major one is for powering the wireless charger:

Conversion of 5VDC to a magnetic field, back into and inductive coil, into 5VDC again, comes with losses (in the form of heat). The Qi spec allows for the output of a inductive charger to meet but not exceed 1Amp. To do that, the input needs to be higher, about 1.5-2.0A. Ultimately what makes it to the battery will be less than 1A, probably 0.8-0.7A, so for the fastest charging, always use a cable.

That said, for overnight, Qi is great. Trickle charging is good for LiPo cells. (Conversely, heat is very bad for them, so the heat from the VDC->inductive->VDC->chemical energy isn't great. Life is about tradeoffs, haha.)

When it comes down to it, charging is bad for batteries.