Razr Maxx Battery Life

Search This thread

BrettXNA

Sep 18, 2011
Had my Razr Maxx for two days and was wondering if this was good battery life.
Battery is at 70 per Battery Indicator Pro.
16 hours on battery - took off charger when I got up at 4:30 am.

Cell stand by 29% - time on 16 hours - no signal 20%.
Display 18% - 1 hr 50 mins.
Voice Calls 15% - 19 mins.
Android OS 13% - 30 mins.
Phone Idle 7% - 15 hrs.
Android System 6% - 11 mins.
Bluetooth was on 11.5 hrs.
Am running Galaxy Live Wallpaper.
Used Fresh Network when I got to work at 6 am.
CDMA only.
No GPS.
Had sim card removed while playing with another phone for an hour.
Had WiFi on for an hour.
Have a Smart Action to disable cellular data setup.
Am also syncing two gmail accounts.

Last edited:

Jamalleelee

Mar 10, 2012
Baltimore
Had my Razr Maxx for two days and was wondering if this was good battery life.
Battery is at 70 per Battery Indicator Pro.
16 hours on battery - took off charger when I got up at 4:30 am.

Cell stand by 29% - time on 16 hours - no signal 20%.
Display 18% - 1 hr 50 mins.
Voice Calls 15% - 19 mins.
Android OS 13% - 30 mins.
Phone Idle 7% - 15 hrs.
Android System 6% - 11 mins.
Bluetooth was on 11.5 hrs.
Am running Galaxy Live Wallpaper.
Used Fresh Network when I got to work at 6 am.
CDMA only.
No GPS.
Had sim card removed while playing with another phone for an hour.
Had WiFi on for an hour.
Have a Smart Action to disable cellular data setup.
Am also syncing two gmail accounts.

That's insanely good. I'm such a heavy user my battery barely makes it through the day.

ari-nj

Nov 24, 2011
Clark, NJ
I got my Razr MAXX yesterday, fully charged it overnight. Woke up at 6am, battery was at 100%. It's 3:00pm now, and the battery is at 50%. Been using the phone quite a bit today, but don't think this is what I paid $300 for! Plaese tell me if I'm wrong...

lilross88

May 8, 2008
Battery break in

I got my Razr MAXX yesterday, fully charged it overnight. Woke up at 6am, battery was at 100%. It's 3:00pm now, and the battery is at 50%. Been using the phone quite a bit today, but don't think this is what I paid $300 for! Plaese tell me if I'm wrong...

The reason you are having less than expected battery life is because the battery isn't conditioned yet. Best way to do it is to charge it to 100% before using the first time. Then you discharge it as much as possible by using the flashlight all the time, turn on Bluetooth and GPS, wifi, etc. Then completely charge it. Do this for about a week and your battery life should get quite a bit better. Had to do it with both my stock battery and extended one for my Epic 4G Touch. Made all the difference in the world. The batteries do not come pre-conditioned from the manufacturer. Your mileage may vary though...

-Lil'Ross88-

Apr 12, 2010
Actually don't do the above it doesn't help and if you do it too much you will hurt the battery. Also new Li-Ion batteries are conditioned when you get them. Keep it charged, keep the phone cool never hot, and never let the battery stay completely discharged.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

lilross88

May 8, 2008
Actually don't do the above it doesn't help and if you do it too much you will hurt the battery. Also new Li-Ion batteries are conditioned when you get them. Keep it charged, keep the phone cool never hot, and never let the battery stay completely discharged.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

If that is the case with Li-Ion batteries, then why did the manufacture say to do that as part of the conditioning process? Not meaning to be rude about it but conditioning a battery, Li-Ion or not, Is good for people that use the hell out of their phones. Same goes with car batteries. I aint saying to do it all the time with a cell phone but the first week aint going to mess it up. It is actually better on Li-Ion batteries to do complete cycles than partial. Do your research for yourself and see.

Also, my co-worker had an E4GT, with an extended battery like mine. I did the conditioning process that I described and that was recommended by the battery's MFG. My battery lasted almost TWO days. His would last about 18 hours off the charger. Proof is in the pudding.

Last edited:

POQbum

Jan 18, 2011
Guys.. keep using your phone and let it cycle through normal charges for about a week. You should have better battery life. Android takes a while to learn where to stop your battery, and it often will undercharge it during the first few cycles.

Reactions: ChuckzTouch

Jaytronics

I have two Traxxas R/C trucks. And they use Lithium Ion batteries. It is known that you never let them heat up excessively. Reason is heat will kill the life expectancy of lithium in a heart beat. Most of the time cutting its charge capacity in half. The same goes for letting it die. If the battery does not have a protection circuit built into the battery or on the phone it self and the battery drops below 3.2 volts per cell. Then the life will be cut. Lithium is a very touchy chemistry. In all of its current forms it needs to be handled and maintained properly.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
I have two Traxxas R/C trucks. And they use Lithium Ion batteries. It is known that you never let them heat up excessively. Reason is heat will kill the life expectancy of lithium in a heart beat. Most of the time cutting its charge capacity in half. The same goes for letting it die. If the battery does not have a protection circuit built into the battery or on the phone it self and the battery drops below 3.2 volts per cell. Then the life will be cut. Lithium is a very touchy chemistry. In all of its current forms it needs to be handled and maintained properly.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

Those are lipo (lithium polymer). They are more susceptible to voltage issues and dropping below their charge threshold.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

ari-nj

Nov 24, 2011
Clark, NJ
I downloaded juice defender today... Been off the charger since about 5am and it's now 8:15pm. I have over 40% battery left! I also just got my verizon navigation dashboard mount, had the phone plugged in for a little while, but overall I think that if I keep this up, I should be in pretty good shape.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA

nrvous1

Jan 16, 2010
No problems here. Been off the charger since 6:15 CST and many calls, browsing, about 200 txt messages, YouTube vids and streaming Pandora I'm still at 57%.

bzxzlg

Oct 25, 2007
Atlanta, GA
EVO -vs- MAXX

Comi from an HTC Evo ... Let just say the MAXX if off charge from 0430 until bedtime ar 2100 ... lowest the battery has gotten - with moderate use through the day is 40%! Had this been my Evo, I'd have charged the phone twice during the day.

POQbum

Jan 18, 2011
Comi from an HTC Evo ... Let just say the MAXX if off charge from 0430 until bedtime ar 2100 ... lowest the battery has gotten - with moderate use through the day is 40%! Had this been my Evo, I'd have charged the phone twice during the day.
did you flash the maxx to Sprint or what?

jordant2

Jun 5, 2007
Newbury Park
Had the Maxx for a week now and I love it! Been off the charger for 15 hrs with over 2 hrs screen on and 2 hrs 20 min talk time, light browsing, and a little ebay app, still have 46%. I had a rezound with the extended battery and I got similar battery life. Seems like it's doing better every day.

nrvous1

Jan 16, 2010
I purposely left my maxx off the charger last night. This morning at 6:15 it was at 17% battery life left. This is way better than my dinc with the extended 2150 battery. I would have already charged it a couple times with the same amount of usage.

milkshed27

Jun 15, 2010
If that is the case with Li-Ion batteries, then why did the manufacture say to do that as part of the conditioning process? Not meaning to be rude about it but conditioning a battery, Li-Ion or not, Is good for people that use the hell out of their phones. Same goes with car batteries. I aint saying to do it all the time with a cell phone but the first week aint going to mess it up. It is actually better on Li-Ion batteries to do complete cycles than partial. Do your research for yourself and see.

Also, my co-worker had an E4GT, with an extended battery like mine. I did the conditioning process that I described and that was recommended by the battery's MFG. My battery lasted almost TWO days. His would last about 18 hours off the charger. Proof is in the pudding.

Sorry, not to be a jerk but all the information in your posts is completely inaccurate. Each battery type differs so you cannot generalize and compare it to a car battery. Nowhere has it ever been said by any cellular phone manufacturer that the battery requires any conditioning. In fact, continuously discharging the battery completely, shortens its life span.

Lithium-ion batteries actually prefer partial charge/discharges not complete discharges as this damages the battery as I stated above. Also, you should never run the LED light for long periods of time as that can cause damage to the LED and possibly the phone. Any improvement you may perceive from your practices IS likely due to the fact that the meter may have required a few charge cycles to become more accurate. However, complete charge cycles do not require the battery to be completely discharged.

Again this is not meant to offend you but I feel it's important to not give inaccurate info as incorrect information can potentially cause damage to someones phone in the long term.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Last edited:

sRDennyCrane

I downloaded juice defender today... Been off the charger since about 5am and it's now 8:15pm. I have over 40% battery left! I also just got my verizon navigation dashboard mount, had the phone plugged in for a little while, but overall I think that if I keep this up, I should be in pretty good shape.

While I did see a nominal increase in battery life with Juice Defender, what drove me nuts was the time it took data to "wake up" after unlocking the phone. Eventually, I turned Juice Defender off.

And, like others, the first few days with my Maxx had 2 instances where I awoke to a dead battery. Now, 2 weeks later, charging and discharging is slow and predictable. About 2.5 hours from 5% to fully charged and a couple days of use between charges. No issues to speak of.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but my wife's maxx has this icon (see pic) in the notification bar which looks like a battery? Anyone have an idea of what it is?

Were you asking what the little check mark symbol is next to the battery? It means you have an alarm set.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx using XDA
    Guys.. keep using your phone and let it cycle through normal charges for about a week. You should have better battery life. Android takes a while to learn where to stop your battery, and it often will undercharge it during the first few cycles.
    This is a basic question, but my maxx does not get that low on battery throughout the day. The lowest it was yesterday was at 52% by 11:00pm. Will charging my phone overnight at that high of a percentage do any damage or lessen the life of the battery?

Should not be any problem. Android (and the battery) will stop the charge when it is full to protect the battery.
    I just read though all the posts...has anyone ever owned an extended battery lol. Just to clear up any confusion...
    Look, the maxx is a smartphone w a large battery. It lasts longer than any other android phone ever made. Period.
    You paid $300 for a very nice phone w an extended battery.
    You cant get another phone on the planet running android that's under 9mm thick and has this kinda battery life.
    I run my phone rooted. Froze 35 apps. Leave data on all the time. No 4g here so I leave it in cdma. Use wifi only when I am at the house. GPS sync etc stay on all the time. I use no task managers. I leave auto brightness on. I did enable screen power save or whatever its called in display setting. No smart actions. I shut wifi off when I leave for work.
    The razr maxx is the truth. It does everything and more that any dual core smart phone rocking a name brand, well made extended battery can/should do. 4 to 5 hour screen on time on 3g s what I think the avg should be. Obviously I may not use what some here use but I hammer my phone when Im able to. It hasn't let me down and the battery has gotten better after a few days of use.
    Don't listen to everyone and freak out about conditioning. Use the phone as a normal phone and what ever your usage is, charge it when you go to bed, wake up ad use it. Repeat cycle until it quits or you renew you contract. The battery will charge. The battery will learn so to speak, but a charge is a charge.
    If you are getting similar results look at your apps. Download better battery stats (Google it on xda) and look at partial wake locks. It will help you narrow down issues. 99.9v% of issues will be caused by the end user ad not the device going rouge, developing a mind of its own and eating your T-shirt.
    Good luck
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but my wife's maxx has this icon (see pic) in the notification bar which looks like a battery? Anyone have an idea of what it is?

That is an alarm that has been set.