[BOOTLOADER] 2nd-Bootloader/Recovery unlock process for KFire 2 [TWRP 2.6.3.0]

Search This thread

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
repo

@hashcode Do you know why this keeps happening?

Code:
Get https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404
Server does not provide clone.bundle; ignoring.

MisterSir69

Jan 1, 2013
I want to attempt this, Little Confused on where to place the downloaded files and how to push them and Where to take the files that need to be stored for safe keeping.

Reactions: powerpoint45

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
The boot.img and recovery.img download files stay on your computer where you will use the fastboot command to flash them to the device.
The ROM.zip and gapps need to be placed on the /sdcard so that you can browse to them in TWRP.

And save the files that you pull in step #1 somewhere on your PC for safe-keeping.

MisterSir69

Jan 1, 2013
The boot.img and recovery.img download files stay on your computer where you will use the fastboot command to flash them to the device.
The ROM.zip and gapps need to be placed on the /sdcard so that you can browse to them in TWRP.

And save the files that you pull in step #1 somewhere on your PC for safe-keeping.

I think My problem is, I dont know how to pull or push files using ADB. Any step by step process to learn how to do this?

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
I want to attempt this, Little Confused on where to place the downloaded files and how to push them and Where to take the files that need to be stored for safe keeping.

The files that need to be kept, the stock backup needs to be kept safe somewhere on your pc.
You pretty much need to be running mac or linux for the stack override.
put the .zips on your sdcard of your kindle.
you push them with adb
The most important part is that you don't get flustered, and have a factory cable on hand for emergencies..

Reactions: _kyl3_

MisterSir69

Jan 1, 2013
The files that need to be kept, the stock backup needs to be kept safe somewhere on your pc.
you push them with adb
The most important part is that you don't get flustered, and have a factory cable on hand for emergencies..

not getting flusterd thats for sure, LOL im loving the input and learning how to do this, It keeps me busy. I just dont know how to use the commands that have bee supplied. And where the files will be backedup too so I can save them

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

LOL okay, Looks like I have Figured out how to push these files. Im assuming the TWRP and other 2 files Need to be placed in the SDK/platform-tools Folder. Please correct me if im wrong. The other Files Gapps and Rom need to be placed on the sdcard. Think I have this figured out. Still confused on how to get the backup to run. At cmd prompt I navigate to my SDK/platformtools folder and I type the first command But I get Remote object adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot not a file or Directory

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
you push them with adb

When you say "pretty much"... does this mean it CAN'T be done on windows?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
I noticed you said the HD codec doesn't work? What exactly does this affect?

I use the kindle mainly for netflix now, so will it not load the HD video somehow? I've never really understood codecs even on PCs, just knew that I had to download vlc and everything was fine and dandy haha.

Great work though guys! Thanks for all the time and effort you've put into this. Now that we are over the main hurdle everything should fall into place for getting it all working. Powerpoint will you be working on a ROM at all? It seems like you want to make things for personal use but I'm sure we would all love a much loved and worked on ROM with neat features :p

Once again, thank you all!

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
I noticed you said the HD codec doesn't work? What exactly does this affect?

I use the kindle mainly for netflix now, so will it not load the HD video somehow? I've never really understood codecs even on PCs, just knew that I had to download vlc and everything was fine and dandy haha.

Great work though guys! Thanks for all the time and effort you've put into this. Now that we are over the main hurdle everything should fall into place for getting it all working. Powerpoint will you be working on a ROM at all? It seems like you want to make things for personal use but I'm sure we would all love a much loved and worked on ROM with neat features :p

Once again, thank you all!

netflix won't load nor will hd youtube. He's working on hdcodec.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

not getting flusterd thats for sure, LOL im loving the input and learning how to do this, It keeps me busy. I just dont know how to use the commands that have bee supplied. And where the files will be backedup too so I can save them

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

LOL okay, Looks like I have Figured out how to push these files. Im assuming the TWRP and other 2 files Need to be placed in the SDK/platform-tools Folder. Please correct me if im wrong. The other Files Gapps and Rom need to be placed on the sdcard. Think I have this figured out. Still confused on how to get the backup to run. At cmd prompt I navigate to my SDK/platformtools folder and I type the first command But I get Remote object adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot not a file or Directory

When you say "pretty much"... does this mean it CAN'T be done on windows?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
these are very similar, I assume you are both using windows. @mindmajick, if you try to pull the block images from windows, you get the error that @MisterSir69 got.
To circumnavigate this, go ahead and use
Code:
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img'
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img'
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system of=/sdcard/system.img'
adb pull /sdcard/recovery.img /some freaking directory you remember
adb pull /sdcard/boot.img /some freaking directory you remember
adb pull /sdcard/system.img /some freaking directory you remember
that should eliminate the errors.. and that is how you do that part on windows. the other part is creating the stack, it needs to either be given to a windows user, or the user has to boot into linux or mac to make it.

mindmajick

Thanks. Just trying to be clear on everything.. before my cable comes. Since i ordered from Hong Kong it will probably be a while- which is probably a good thing as it gives me more time to become proficient with the fire.

I've made a few roms for phones over the past year or so, but I don't feel like bricking my week old toy just yet :D

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

MisterSir69

Jan 1, 2013
netflix won't load nor will hd youtube. He's working on hdcodec.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

these are very similar, I assume you are both using windows. @mindmajick, if you try to pull the block images from windows, you get the error that @MisterSir69 got.
To circumnavigate this, go ahead and use
Code:
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img'
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img'
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system of=/sdcard/system.img'
adb pull /sdcard/recovery.img /some freaking directory you remember
adb pull /sdcard/boot.img /some freaking directory you remember
adb pull /sdcard/system.img /some freaking directory you remember
that should eliminate the errors.. and that is how you do that part on windows. the other part is creating the stack, it needs to either be given to a windows user, or the user has to boot into linux or mac to make it.

I was able to push the stack just for test purposes but did not go any further until I backup

Last edited:

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
Thanks. Just trying to be clear on everything.. before my cable comes. Since i ordered from Hong Kong it will probably be a while- which is probably a good thing as it gives me more time to become proficient with the fire.

I've made a few roms for phones over the past year or so, but I don't feel like bricking my week old toy just yet :D

As I already noted, there are a couple ways to handle flashing all of this without a factory cable, dd and idme bootmode. idme is included in both the rom and twrp that hashcode has linked up here. I suppose you could look for my post about what the bootmodes are in the "ibootedtwrponmykf2" thread... but that's probably asking too much. If you can get to twrp, you're probably good for without a cable, and I can assist you if you are smart enough to know that a factory reset from within twrp wipes /data without wiping /sdcard/ or /data/media.

Jun 18, 2009
I just opened my KF2 that I got like a month ago. I did this so I could fully charge it. I did that with anticipation of putting CM10 on it.

I will be waiting, for when more bugs are worked out.

Good work guys!

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
I just opened my KF2 that I got like a month ago. I did this so I could fully charge it. I did that with anticipation of putting CM10 on it.

I will be waiting, for when more bugs are worked out.

Good work guys!

there is only one bug, we have been testing it for 4 days straight to get adb working, sdcard working, sound/video working. The only thing that does not work is the hdcodec. which means no netflix or hd youtube. everything else works fine. I think Hashcode has an aosp build for it too, but we have not even seen a link for it.

mindmajick

As I already noted, there are a couple ways to handle flashing all of this without a factory cable, dd and idme bootmode. idme is included in both the rom and twrp that hashcode has linked up here. I suppose you could look for my post about what the bootmodes are in the "ibootedtwrponmykf2" thread... but that's probably asking too much. If you can get to twrp, you're probably good for without a cable, and I can assist you if you are smart enough to know that a factory reset from within twrp wipes /data without wiping /sdcard/ or /data/media.

Lol. I get that and I've read EVERY thread in the Kindle fire forums for all models... I just like having a backup plan available. I'm also pretty familiar with hardware and software... I've been an IT guy since i was 6 years old... I'm 37 now so...

It's not the flashing I'm worried about, but the chance of an issue without a way to recover.

I will never be that guy who bricked his stuff without a way to recover. Plus i have patience.. a virtue lacking in XDA ;)

Edit: it's also why i bought the Kindle fire.. not despite the two year old hardware inside but BECAUSE of it.

Last edited:

RevMike

Dec 11, 2009
Posting from my KFOT - great job.

Few minor issues to report.

When I first attempted to boot to recovery it locked up. I could not boot past the blue screen. I reflashed recovery and everything worked. Not sure I can repeat it, but I'll try tomorrow.

Upon initial setup Google offered to restore my apps and settings. During this process WiFi glitched. I had 90 or so apps that failed to load. WiFi almost immediately reconnected and has been stable since. Just as likely to be my environment as anything else. So far so good.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

One other issue. My first attempt to boot after installing CM and GApps seemed to hang. I went back to recovery and wiped data. My data partition was still populated with the stock Amazon stuff. After wiping it I was able to successfully boot. I install enough custom roms on other devices that I should be able to remember this, but I was so intent on following your directions that I didn't do it.

I'll keep posting anything else that comes up.

Reactions: eLizzy

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA

When I first attempted to boot to recovery it locked up. I could not boot past the blue screen. I reflashed recovery and everything worked. Not sure I can repeat it, but I'll try tomorrow.

Upon initial setup Google offered to restore my apps and settings. During this process WiFi glitched. I had 90 or so apps that failed to load. WiFi almost immediately reconnected and has been stable since. Just as likely to be my environment as anything else. So far so good.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

One other issue. My first attempt to boot after installing CM and GApps seemed to hang. I went back to recovery and wiped data. My data partition was still populated with the stock Amazon stuff. After wiping it I was able to successfully boot. I install enough custom roms on other devices that I should be able to remember this, but I was so intent on following your directions that I didn't do it.

If you knew to wipe /data, why didn't you do that first? I mean, I could see someone who didn't know not flashing, and I understand that you wanted to follow the instructions, but stock amazon 4.0.3 data won't work on our 4.1.2 hackmod cm10.1 os.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Lol. I get that and I've read EVERY thread in the Kindle fire forums for all models... I just like having a backup plan available. I'm also pretty familiar with hardware and software... I've been an IT guy since i was 6 years old... I'm 37 now so...

It's not the flashing I'm worried about, but the chance of an issue without a way to recover.

I will never be that guy who bricked his stuff without a way to recover. Plus i have patience.. a virtue lacking in XDA ;)

Edit: it's also why i bought the Kindle fire.. not despite the two year old hardware inside but BECAUSE of it.

If you wish, and can join the freenonde irc #kindlefire-dev I will walk you through it, step by step. even from windows.
if you do use windows, go ahead and google mirc or webclient irc

mindmajick

If you knew to wipe /data, why didn't you do that first? I mean, I could see someone who didn't know not flashing, and I understand that you wanted to follow the instructions, but stock amazon 4.0.3 data won't work on our 4.1.2 hackmod cm10.1 os.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

If you wish, and can join the freenonde irc #kindlefire-dev I will walk you through it, step by step. even from windows.
if you do use windows, go ahead and google mirc or webclient irc

Appreciate it, but AGAIN it's not a lack of knowledge... i use Windows AND Linux and have taught quite a few people how to build from code. I understood your post in the other thread just fine.

Please take a look at my profile and my post history. There is a reason i have so many thanks ;)

I may take you up on the irc offer though just to see what you guys are up to. :D

Thank you for sharing. I think your info will keep someone else with less experience from thinking they bricked.

Last edited:
Reactions: powerpoint45

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
Appreciate it, but AGAIN it's not a lack of knowledge... i use Windows AND Linux and have taught quite a few people how to build from code. I understood your post in the other thread just fine.

Please take a look at my profile and my post history. There is a reason i have so many thanks ;)

I may take you up on the irc offer though just to see what you guys are up to. :D

Thank you for sharing. I think your info will keep someone else with less experience from thinking they bricked.

Hashcode is offline for now.. I am about to make a video of the entire install process.
PPT could use some company while I'm away.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing: Kindle Fire 2nd-bootloader + TWRP 2.6.3.0 for the Kindle Fire 2nd GEN

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

*** READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ***
    *** Kindle Fire 1st-gen ROMs/KERNELS are *NOT* compatible with the Kindle Fire 2. Please only flash ROMs/KERNELS that are made for the Kindle Fire 2. ***

** IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, RE-READ THROUGH THE THREAD FOR ANSWERS. WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE NO ONE HAS ASKED YOUR QUESTION, GO AHEAD AND RE-READ THE THREAD AGAIN AND USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IF YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER **

** WHEN MOVING FROM AMAZON OS TO CM10.1 IN TWRP: "WIPE" -> "SYSTEM" AND "FACTORY RESET" TO CLEAR SYSTEM/DATA/CACHE. YOUR APPS FROM AMAZON ICS AREN'T COMPATIBLE. IF NOT YOU'LL LOOP ON THE CM10.1 BOOT ANIMATION **

[03/27] NEW support thread for OFFICIAL CM on the Otter2 (Kindle Fire 2):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2209995

** YOU SHOULD HAVE A WORKING FASTBOOT CABLE + FASTBOOT DRIVERS/ACCESS ON YOUR PC. **

Q: How do I know if my fastboot works?
    A: Plug the cable into your device and then the computer. Reboot the Kindle. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen. Once at the screen use this command on your computer:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
    You should see something like this:
    0123456789ABCDEF

Here's 1 website you can purchase a FASTBOOT adapter from (works with your normal USB cable)
    http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factory-Adapters-motadapt.htm
    ** I don't make any commission or fee from the sales of these devices, I just know they have them on stock most of the time and ship in a reasonable time frame unlike the Chinese variants found on ebay.

If you do NOT see this, then make sure you have the SDK installed correctly and you have the right setup for fastboot on your PC before proceeding.

*** BE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD CHARGE ON THE DEVICE ***

INITIAL SETUP INSTRUCTIONS (1st TIME ONLY) FOR 2ND-BOOTLOADER + TeamWinRecoveryProject INSTALL:

STEP 1. Backup your stock partitions to your own HD for later if you need disaster recovery:
    Code:
    adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0boot0
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system # This will take a few minutes
    Take those files and put them somewhere safe.

STEP 2: Download the files you will need to install 2nd-bootloader, TWRP and CM10.1:
    1. Stack override file:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/stack
    2. [12/09] otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img (USED ONLY THE FIRST TIME -- .zip files will have their own boot.img's from now on):
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img
      md5sum: 80f9b9ba80910de361463560f86f315a
    3. [09/03] TeamWin Recovery 2.6.3.0:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img
      md5sum: a66a8cbab92fd5daaa85f6303e9cc0c3
    4. older 10.2.4 bootloader file and flash to your device via fastboot:
      http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
      md5sum 5b03a7b428325de8d360ec201a745498
      (You SHOULD check the MD5SUM before using fastboot -- downloads CAN be corrupted)
    5. CM-10.1/CM-10.2 for the Kindle Fire 2 (choose the latest version from):
      http://www.get.cm/?device=otter2
    6. Google Apps from: http://goo.im/gapps (choose the version: CM10.1 or CM10.2)
    Place the ROM and the gapps .zip on your device in the /sdcard area

STEP 3. Install the stack override in /system:
    ADB commands entered while booted up into STOCK *rooted* Amazon Kindle OS -- May need to enable ADB debugging in Settings:
    [2013-08-21] edited the location where stack is placed on device due to permissions changes
    Code:
    adb push stack /sdcard/
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/stack of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system bs=6519488 seek=1"

[ Connect fastboot cable, and reboot the device so that "Fastboot" is showing ]

STEP 4.
    Flash the OLD bootloader, new otter2-freedom-boot.img and TWRP recovery.[/B]
    *DONT RE-FLASH FREEDOM-BOOT.IMG LATER AFTER FLASHING CM10.1 -- IT'S FOR STOCK AMAZON OS ONLY / FIRST INSTALL ONLY*
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot otter2-freedom-boot-10.4.6.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery otter2-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

** If everything was done correctly you will at this point see the bootmenu with a BLUE logo during the reboot. **

TO ENTER RECOVERY:
    During the blue logo screen press the power button to cycle through options and select "Recovery" to enter TWRP.

Once in TWRP you can Install" the CM-10.1/CM-10.2 by selecting "Install" and then browsing the device and selecting it, then "Add Zip" and select the Gapps .zip as well.

Use the slider to start the install.

FLASHING BACK TO STOCK:
    ** FIND THE FILES WE BACKED UP IN STEP #1 OR DOWNLOAD NEW ONES FROM THE RECOVERY THREAD HERE: **
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2035047

Once you have these files (we'll name them boot.img/recovery.img and system.img for the purpose of these instructions, but they could be different on your system).

Plug in your fastboot cable and reboot so that you see the fastboot screen and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot [B]boot.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery [B]recovery.img[/B]
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system [B]system.img[/B] # This one will take a few minutes
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Enjoy

THANKS TO:
    • fattire for finding the original bootloader exploit
    • TESTERS: powerpoint45 and FMKilo
    Changelog: updated 2013-07-08

freedom boot.img (for use w/ stock Amazon OS + 2nd-bootloader):
    • [07/08] Updated w/ kernel from 10.4.3 release

TeamWin Recovery (TWRP) 2.6.0.0
    • [07/08] USB Vendor ID / Product ID in recovery now matches stock Amazon OS
    • [07/08] Based on 10.4.3 stock kernel
    • [07/08] Fixed recovery bootloop issue
    • [07/08] TWRP 2.6.0.0 update
    one more reserved space
    Yes I do. Check md5 as I'm not sure that when you download them they'lll be complete!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5oda4fual3ht3/KF2_Boot_and_Recovery

:)

Bump just so everyone knows these files are here
    does anyone have a mirror of the files?

Yes I do. Check md5 as I'm not sure that when you download them they'lll be complete!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5oda4fual3ht3/KF2_Boot_and_Recovery

:)