[tate][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch

Search This thread

Phil3759

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2012
Not to be negative, but for the time being, are there any inherent benefits to flashing this over TWRP 2.7.0.0? Also, would I just flash this like any normal zip, like the main thread stated, or are there any of the device specific instructions it mentioned?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD 7 with CyanogenMod 11

Please, stick to twrp or what ever you like and stop asking such questions / comparisons in development threads
If you ask such things, it means you just do not need this recovery

To all:
Please, do not reply continue this debate. All recoveries have their + and -
Stick to what you like. No one, including me cares about your tastes
Review/Compare ? ----> General and FAQ sections of forum

Reactions: quan_1986

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
@Phil3759:
You may want to add this to the OP for flashing instructions.
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery <recovery filename>

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

done :good:

I also added you as contributer to OP, so that you can edit at your wish
Really feel free to modify it if you want, link to your own threads, provide users info they need...
Just keep thread title intact as i can monitor them easier in my subscriptions

No need to ask for any permission

psychoTR2

Aug 6, 2013
Please, stick to twrp or what ever you like and stop asking such questions / comparisons in development threads
If you ask such things, it means you just do not need this recovery

To all:
Please, do not reply continue this debate. All recoveries have their + and -
Stick to what you like. No one, including me cares about your tastes
Review/Compare ? ----> General and FAQ sections of forum

I'm really sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone or start a debate. I should have phrased that in terms of how stable it is right now since CWM is a work in progress on this device. I shouldn't have made it sound like an issue of personal taste since TWRP is the only recovery I've been familiar with, being the only recovery available for the KFHD for a while. Asking the way I did was just bad forum etiquette. What I mean is, is it stable enough for regular use, or should I wait until it's more stable?

Reactions: Phil3759

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
I'm really sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone or start a debate. I should have phrased that in terms of how stable it is right now since CWM is a work in progress on this device. I shouldn't have made it sound like an issue of personal taste since TWRP is the only recovery I've been familiar with, being the only recovery available for the KFHD for a while. Asking the way I did was just bad forum etiquette. What I mean is, is it stable enough for regular use, or should I wait until it's more stable?

np

TWRP is one of the greatest recoveries with a solid team behind it
A lot of my work is inspired from it
I just do not like comparing and the what is the best questions.

I think that each user can get what he likes. Each recovery has its issues for a given device, so depends sometimes on what someone needs
Try both and make your choice

Reactions: quan_1986

psychoTR2

Aug 6, 2013
And that I will :)

Last edited:

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011

A couple of key differences:
- Philz/CWM supports a diff backup format which only records changes to the OS compared to a previous backup.
- Backup formats in general are NOT interchangeable.
- CWM uses a mini vold setup to mount storage devices. This can offer a bit more flexibility if the device supports it (in the case of KFireHDs they dont support OTG atm and have no SD card..)
- Philz in particular offers quite a bit of customization to its CWM base making it more pleasant to use.

Differences between CWM and TWRP also exist in how SElinux support is implanted during ROM flashing. But the end results should be similar.

In the end it mostly comes down to personal preference.

psychoTR2

Aug 6, 2013
- Philz/CWM supports a diff backup format which only records changes to the OS compared to a previous backup.
- CWM uses a mini vold setup to mount storage devices. This can offer a bit more flexibility if the device supports it (in the case of KFireHDs they dont support OTG atm and have no SD card..)
- Philz in particular offers quite a bit of customization to its CWM base making it more pleasant to use.

Differences between CWM and TWRP also exist in how SElinux support is implanted during ROM flashing. But the end results should be similar.

That backup format sounds helpful, actually! Now, if I end up wanting to switch back to TWRP or if CWM doesn't work, can I go back using the same instructions in the OP?

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
That backup format sounds helpful, actually! Now, if I end up wanting to switch back to TWRP or if CWM doesn't work, can I go back using the same instructions in the OP?

This recovery supports TWRP mode
Means, you can set under Nandroid Settings to backup/restore to/from twrp mode

south956

Sep 12, 2012
edinburg
Is cwm still one flash at a time?

yvydader.jpg

For your own custom Sig : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1922304

alexander_32

May 13, 2015
Kyiv
Reactions: Diplominformatiker
May 16, 2016
Duesseldorf
Here's the latest version. I've just uploaded it. You are welcome. :)

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=64962

Hi alexander_32, since

fastboot -i0x1949 boot philz_touch_6.48.4-tate.img

reboots but keeps my tate in a bootloop (showing only a flashing teamwin screen), can I flash your image, too?

fastboot -i0x1949 flash recovery philz_touch_6.48.4-tate.img?

Or do I just need another image? I just don't want to brick my Kindle Fire HD...

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Ok, I had the courage to flash and tate is working again:
1. adb reboot bootloader (then in Fastboot mode)
2. fastboot -i0x1949 flash recovery philz_touch_6.48.4-tate.img
3. fastboot -i0x1949 boot philz_touch_6.48.4-tate.img
4. two reboots and cm 12.1 is working :D

Last edited:

alexander_32

May 13, 2015
Kyiv
Hi alexander_32, since

fastboot -i0x1949 boot philz_touch_6.48.4-tate.img

reboots but keeps my tate in a bootloop (showing only a flashing teamwin screen), can I flash your image, too?

fastboot -i0x1949 flash recovery philz_touch_6.48.4-tate.img?

Or do I just need another image? I just don't want to brick my Kindle Fire HD...

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Ok, I had the courage to flash and tate is working again:
1. adb reboot bootloader (then in Fastboot mode)
2. fastboot -i0x1949 flash recovery philz_touch_6.48.4-tate.img
3. fastboot -i0x1949 boot philz_touch_6.48.4-tate.img
4. two reboots and cm 12.1 is working :D

Wait a second, what this command does <fastboot -i0x1949 boot philz_touch_6.48.4-tate.img>? Are you launching recovery via fastboot?

So, everything is working or not?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Main thread + features + install instructions + dev support
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2201860

PhilZ Touch is a CWM Advanced Edition that adds all the features you could ever miss in CWM
    It is a well proven recovery for many phones

It also adds a full touch interface a completely configurable GUI

Please give your feedback, what works, and any bug you could encounter
    Read the features, and check if you are missing something

To take a screen shot, just long press outside a menu (2 sec and slightly change pressure after the delay)

Also, do not forget to read about the powerful aroma file manager integration and double tap shortcut

Flashing instructions:

Huge credits to @Hashcode for his device tree and work on cwm

Download links
    Last version can be found here:

XDA:DevDB Information
    [tate][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch, a Tool/Utility for the Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD

Contributors
    Phil3759, Hashcode

Version Information

Created 2014-04-17
    Last Updated 2014-04-20
    thanks
    I will remove my build until device tree is fixed
    Let me know if you need help on some parts

Will monitor this thread if anything new comes out

I just pushed fixes to both jem/tate devices which fixed CWM build. I'm guessing yours will work now as well. :)

I haven't tested the 7" version, but the 8.9" device has issues building CWM (and PhilzTouch apparently). The device comes up in recovery but with a blank screen.

I'm debugging CWM builds now.
    @Phil3759:
    You may want to add this to the OP for flashing instructions.