[Q] Transformer for students.

Search This thread

Osmandius

Feb 18, 2011
A bit of background: I will be attending UCLA as a computer science student in the fall. I will be bringing my desktop with me, and am trying to decide between a laptop/netbook or the Transformer.

Would the transformer work in conjunction with the desktop, or will I need a full laptop.

Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

omguss

Apr 13, 2011
You should consider what you want to use this device for before you decide. As a CS major, you will certainly be doing quite a bit of programming, and you might want to prefer to use a full linux environment for this, depends largely on the program you have at UCLA. What you can consider is to get this device and using the splashtop program access your desktop to do your programming. However, you will want to consider whether or not you want to utilize the local processing power of your device. It would be far simpler to use a laptop/netbook for those purposes, rather than trying to find solutions with the tablet+dock. In the end, if you find that you will be using the device docked most of the time for school, then you should probably consider just getting a laptop/netbook. If the convenience of the tablet and media consumption is something you'd prefer, then get the transformer.

tl;dr, I consider the transformer+dock a fun/entertainment device. For CS based schoolwork, you would most likely want a laptop/netbook.

unless you wanted to focus on tablet development in your coursework...but that's not for another 2 years...

Hope that helps.

rishicourtflower

Apr 3, 2011
Keep in mind that you can use the Transformer's bundled remote desktop app and/or a terminal app to control your PC, and run stuff that way - assuming you can connect to your desktop from wherever you are.

I do agree with omguss, if you don't plan on using the device mostly for entertainment, get a netbook/laptop.

BongoBong

Apr 10, 2011
Sorry if this is hijacking your thread (ill start a new thread if you want) but just wondering if there is a good note taking apps for android?

There are two uses I can see being needed for me.

First I would need something to annotate on pdf's and powerpoints. I remember seeing an app that looked pretty solid for this so it should be good.

Secondly I would need an app that I can be typing with the keyboard, and then when needed draw in equations, graphs, pictures, whatever. Not really sure if there is something good for this.

ZaelFaroe

Mar 31, 2011
As a programmer, I would suggest getting a full laptop for somebody majoring in CS. As much as I love the transformer, you cannot compile code on it. At least in my searching I have not found a single IDE meant to be run on Android (Lot's target Android, but none run on Android). More than likely, there will be several times that you want to do work away from your room. On the transformer, the only real way to do this will be remote desktop software. It's up to you whether you think the remote desktop software will be sufficient for this, but one other thing I would caution against is the small keyboard. It is far more comfortable (and efficient) to program on a full-size (or as near to full-size as possible) keyboard.

I don't know what type of program you are going into, but if you take any courses on 3d graphics you are almost certainly going to lose the ability to test your programs through a remote desktop connection.

I personally think that tablets are great in conjunction with a desktop. I plan to get rid of my netbook once I get the transformer. My only concern for you is that a tablet simply isn't a good tool for programming. If the hacker community manages to get ubuntu onto the transformer then the device will be an acceptable programming tool in my opinion; although, you will still lack a full size keyboard.

My advice to you is wait until mid-to-late summer. There is a slew of new tech toys coming out this summer, and almost anything you get now will be outdated by the time you start in the fall. By summer you will know if we managed to get Ubuntu on the transformer, AMD's Llano processor will be out on laptops, and Tegra 3 tablets may be just around the corner.

Badwolve1

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 13, 2009
Loughborough, UK
I'm a secondary school student, I have a HP DM1 (Not the Z :(), runs 7 pro X64 + VS 2010 Pro + VS2008 Pro. Got a load of VM's for debugging ETC...
Windows is good for note taking to, Onenote is great.
Hope this helps
Badwolve1

smaskell

Jan 31, 2010
San Francisco
someone seriously needs to start porting some compilers to android..
many scripting languages are available through SL4A but most CS courses are taught with C/C++ or Java. I'd love to help out with this project but I just wouldn't know where to start

Flowah

Feb 18, 2010
Just adding on to this, since I'm a student and also looking for a tablet solution.

I'd love:

1. Printing to my university printers. My university currently requires you install some software to use their printers. Mac and Windows versions available, no Linux, no Android.
2. Onenote would be awesome. I read that there was an iPhone version available? Android should be coing soon hopefully.

j7899

Jan 1, 2007
I would suggest a full laptop, and something with high resolution. Once your CS load picks up you'll need something you can work on in between or during classes. Android lacking compilers on the OS itself is the killer here, otherwise you are free to code all you want via text editors.

Dsktech

Apr 25, 2011
I would suggest a full laptop, and something with high resolution. Once your CS load picks up you'll need something you can work on in between or during classes. Android lacking compilers on the OS itself is the killer here, otherwise you are free to code all you want via text editors.

As a CS student myself I would agree with the above and add that in programming classes you will want all the screen real-estate you can get your hands on(17"+), a good amount of hard disk space, 4gb+ ram, and a good Virtual Machine program. Less important is video and cpu power unless you intend to make it a desktop replacement/gaming machine.

That being said... Such a laptop is going to be rather heavy. I am getting the Transformer to replace an early gen AspireOne for less technical classes.

Just my $0.02

smaskell

Jan 31, 2010
San Francisco
Just adding on to this, since I'm a student and also looking for a tablet solution.

I'd love:

1. Printing to my university printers. My university currently requires you install some software to use their printers. Mac and Windows versions available, no Linux, no Android.
2. Onenote would be awesome. I read that there was an iPhone version available? Android should be coing soon hopefully.

I was about to say that you're insane and that MS would never make OneNote for iOS but.. turns out you're right. That's really strange. Hopefully they start work on an Android version soon.

Edit: The iOS version of OneNote doesn't seem all that great. You can't write with a stylus.. it's just keyboard input. lame. Writing with a capacitive stylus on the transformer would kind of suck anyway, but I might still consider the HTC Flyer which has an active digitizer.

Last edited:

Flowah

Feb 18, 2010
I was about to say that you're insane and that MS would never make OneNote for iOS but.. turns out you're right. That's really strange. Hopefully they start work on an Android version soon.

Edit: The iOS version of OneNote doesn't seem all that great. You can't write with a stylus.. it's just keyboard input. lame. Writing with a capacitive stylus on the transformer would kind of suck anyway, but I might still consider the HTC Flyer which has an active digitizer.

Right, but I'm interested in the Transformer almost purely because of the keyboard dock, so keyboard input only is fine with me tbh. As long as it's decently full featured.

joe_dude

Oct 30, 2006
I'm waiting to see if the AMD Llano will make the best thin gaming laptop. Hopefully, new AMD laptops will come out in June, right before back-to-school season.

Oh yeah, OneNote. Yeah, that's important too. ;)

DKYang

Mar 19, 2009
Virtual Machines? Eh, I never needed to use one except when I was using a Mac. Wandering what you guys are doing with it.

Any laptop that is 13"+ in screen size is good. The power of the computer depends on what you plan to do. So you have to decide on the specs yourself. Dual Core is fine unless you plan to do any CPU intensive tasks. If you ever need a bigger screen, then you can just buy a monitor and hook it up so even a netbook could be fine if you are okay with the power it gives. 13"-15" is good. 17" is just monstrous and you don't want to be lugging that around.