[Q] 4.4.2, pattern lock, and FoxFi for wireless tethering.

Search This thread

LaTropa64

Feb 7, 2010
So I took the 4.4.2 update despite the warnings I had been getting from FoxFi that my wifi tether wouldn't work on 4.4+.

Well, it still worked after the update... it just makes me go through one extra step when starting it:

tZD4Cvml.png

Now, I have another problem though. I made the mistake of messing around with cerberus and locked my phone with a code, I then went back in so I could change it back to a pattern lock and now I can't:

bUsCZxCl.png

I remember a while back FoxFi made me install some kind of certificate and set a screen lock in order for it to be able to work, so my guess is that certificate is what's keeping me from being able to do the pattern lock and if I uninstalled FoxFi I would then be able to use a pattern lock again.

My question though: is it just a fluke that FoxFi is still working on wifi tether after 4.4.2 update or did they already come up with some kind of work around and I'll be able to uninstall FoxFi and set my pattern lock and then reinstall FoxFi and re-do all that certificate stuff they made me do awhile back and WiFi tether will still be working?

Rageboardr

Mar 5, 2012
I understand that FoxFi has updated their app, and it should now work on KitKat. As for the pattern unlock thing, I could not tell you. If it were me I would probably try to just delete the FoxFi app, and see if it allows you to set up your lockscreen the way you want. Then reinstall the app, and hope things continue to work.

LaTropa64

Feb 7, 2010
I understand that FoxFi has updated their app, and it should now work on KitKat. As for the pattern unlock thing, I could not tell you. If it were me I would probably try to just delete the FoxFi app, and see if it allows you to set up your lockscreen the way you want. Then reinstall the app, and hope things continue to work.

I went for it. Uninstalled FoxFi but then I still couldn't set a pattern lock. I figured out I also had to clear the credentials in Settings > Security, which wiped out the FoxFi certificate and then I was able to finally set a pattern lock.

That didn't really work though because when I reinstalled FoxFi and it took me back to the part about installing the certificate and that takes you to the lock settings and gives you the same options I had before clearing the certificate (PIN and Password only). It won't install the cert unless you set one of those two.

Is there a way to get a hold of the certificate separately from the app and manually install it so you don't have to set a PIN or Password and it'll just continue to use whatever kind of lock or no lock your phone has?

Rageboardr

Mar 5, 2012
That is a puzzle. When i installed FoxFi awhile ago, it made me use a pattern unlock (which i didn't want) with a PIN backup. And after messing up the pattern so many times it asked for the PIN. After that there was no lock on the phone at all, which was what i was wanting. I wonder if the update to FoxFi changed something about the lock screen requirements. I'll play around with it later, and if I figure something out I will let you know.

Another thought, it is possible Cerberus is messing with your settings. Might try deleting Cerberus and see if that changes anything.

Last edited:

Larzzzz82

Mar 24, 2014
Boston, MA
I have been using this app for years and with the KitKat update, which I was forced to get, even though it worked. I am not happy with this little triangle notification telling me that I can be monitored: emails, secure websites and the like. For me, they broke something that worked. Not to mention changing my device lock. I thought the lock set up was for the app itself.

Housing184

Apr 7, 2011
Thanks. I'll try this later. It looks like I need to fist install the certificate and setup a PIN lock before following your instructions.

Hopefully it lets me set up a pattern lock and not just a no security swipe.

LaTropa64...you Will be able to set any type of security you wish as all the options will be made available to you when you get to the step of setting your security level...Enjoy your Foxfi Hot Spot!

PS...I also have Cerberus installed on my Verizon GS4 4.4.2 without any problems. ..

Last edited: