[Q] Problem installing custom kernel on stock ROM

Search This thread

Reubster24

May 21, 2014
Hi all. I just got a Verizon Htc One M7. I bought it used and it was already updated to 4.4.2 Kit kat and sense 5.5. I am new to rooting and unlocking and I am running into issues I am hoping someone can help me with. I successfully unlocked, rooted, and got S-off. A am trying to get a custom kernel on the phone so I can have tap to wake and swipe to wake. I installed TWRP recovery 2.7.0.0. Everything appears to be working I boot into bootloader mode and it say unlocked and s-off on top of the screen. I started recovery and it appears to be working fine. I created a backup and that works. So I tried 2 different kernels elementalx and elite lunar. Both appear to install fine but when I reboot the phone gets stuck in a boot loop on the HTC screen. I then have to go back into recovery and revert back to my saved backup. The phone will then boot up fine. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. I am running the stock ROM. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Reubster24

May 21, 2014
Forgive and help a noop!!!!

No one knows? I also just noticed that on the bootloader screen there is no numbers after OS. Which would appear to mean i have no OS. But the phone boots and operates just fine. Any suggestions? Thinking I should get it back to factory and start over and flash the NuSenseSIX rom. If anyone could please help me out here it would be greatly appreciated!!!! I attached a picture of what my bootloader screen looks like.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 36

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
No one knows? I also just noticed that on the bootloader screen there is no numbers after OS. Which would appear to mean i have no OS. But the phone boots and operates just fine. Any suggestions? Thinking I should get it back to factory and start over and flash the NuSenseSIX rom. If anyone could please help me out here it would be greatly appreciated!!!! I attached a picture of what my bootloader screen looks like.

it's the rom you are on, if you go back to stock build you will see the OS-build number correctly displayed. if you are on a custom rom, and its not built correctly, it will not display properly.

you dont need to worry about it. all the info in hboot is for diagnostic purpose and wont effect you in any way.

Reactions: Reubster24

Reubster24

May 21, 2014
it's the rom you are on, if you go back to stock build you will see the OS-build number correctly displayed. if you are on a custom rom, and its not built correctly, it will not display properly.

you dont need to worry about it. all the info in hboot is for diagnostic purpose and wont effect you in any way.

Ok I appreciate the response. I am still on the stock ROM. Just have it rooted, unlocked and s-off with twrp custom recovery installed. Any ideas as to why I'm not able to get it to boot after installing a custom kernel? Can I just try to flash the NuSenseSIX ROM in the phones current state or should I start over?

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Ok I appreciate the response. I am still on the stock ROM. Just have it rooted, unlocked and s-off with twrp custom recovery installed. Any ideas as to why I'm not able to get it to boot after installing a custom kernel? Can I just try to flash the NuSenseSIX ROM in the phones current state or should I start over?

if you would like to try NuSense i would make sure you have a good backup or do one before. you'll need to wipe system - data - cache - dalvik in twrp and then install the rom.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

After some discussion with fellow dev's, i think you havent flash the insecure boot.img that allows you to write to /system. this should stop the kernel bootlooping you.

ok, here we go.
Flash the attached zip in recovery.
wipe dalvik and cache (2x for good measure)
reboot the phone.

then try to flash a custom kernel and see if you boot loop. Let me know what happens. please have a working backup before trying any of this.

(credit to @buckmarble and @brymaster5000)

kernel source

Attachments

• Ecliptic_boot_5-4kernel.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Reubster24

May 21, 2014
if you would like to try NuSense i would make sure you have a good backup or do one before. you'll need to wipe system - data - cache - dalvik in twrp and then install the rom.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

After some discussion with fellow dev's, i think you havent flash the insecure boot.img that allows you to write to /system. this should stop the kernel bootlooping you.

I have everything backed up google drive with titanium backup as well as backed up in TWRP. When I wipe it doesn't remove the TWRP backup right? I have not flashed any boot.img. I am new to this and don't really know what that is. How would I find the boot.img I need. I think I'll just move forward with the NuSense Rom. Can I just download the zip for the NuSense ROM then wipe and flash it using TWRP and I'm good to go or is there other stuff I need to do?

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
I have everything backed up google drive with titanium backup as well as backed up in TWRP. When I wipe it doesn't remove the TWRP backup right? I have not flashed any boot.img. I am new to this and don't really know what that is. How would I find the boot.img I need. I think I'll just move forward with the NuSense Rom. Can I just download the zip for the NuSense ROM then wipe and flash it using TWRP and I'm good to go or is there other stuff I need to do?

the boot.img zip above will allow you to write to the /system part of the phone.

TWRP will not wipe your backup. that is stored in a location its not allowed to wipe unless you do a "factory reset"

flash the zip above first. let it boot then flash NuSense. I'm not to familiar with that rom so i cant for sure say it will have said insecure boot.img.

Reubster24

May 21, 2014
Ok I flashed that file and the phone boots up fine. But it has a weird N flashing at the top of the screen now. I'll try a kernel this evening and see what happens. Any idea what the N is? Attached a zipped video of what its doing.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.zip
    634 KB · Views: 3

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Ok I flashed that file and the phone boots up fine. But it has a weird N flashing at the top of the screen now. I'll try a kernel this evening and see what happens. Any idea what the N is? Attached a zipped video of what its doing.

That icon is for NFC. idk why its flashing but make sure its off if you dont use it.
its under settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.