[PROGRAM] Heimdall - Open-Source Cross-Platform Flashing Suite (1.4.0 Now Available)

Search This thread

ashwinds

Aug 10, 2010
OSX, Uploading PIT failed - workaround

I tried 1.3.2 and OSX 10.7.3 and ran into the uploading PIT failed issue when trying to flash with Heimdall.

I rolled back to 1.3.0 and it seems to work fine - give it a shot in case you also run into this issue.

enthalpie

Aug 22, 2011
yerres
juste kernel

Hi
If i load an heimdall package and after load/customize if I remove all stuff and keep only kernel file is it possible to flash and so just update kernel on galaxy ?

regards

DaNaRkI

Apr 28, 2011
???
Hi
If i load an heimdall package and after load/customize if I remove all stuff and keep only kernel file is it possible to flash and so just update kernel on galaxy ?

regards

yep, or you could rip the package apart and only flash the kernel.

leaked from my ICS- FUSED SGS I897 contaminating you via XDA app.

bobbytomorow

Jun 18, 2010
West Coast
My uncle was trying to update his Galaxy S via Kies in Windows and the update failed while installing and he was left with a brick, could only boot into download mode while holding down vol down and power buttons or yellow sign with exclamation if only pressing power.

So he gave it to me to unbrick and I use a Mac so I downloaded Heimdall and XXJVU (2.3.6), device was detected by Heimdall and so I proceded with loading that package and this is what I got:

Code:
ERROR: Failed to confirm end of PIT file transfer!
PIT upload failed!
Ending session...
Rebooting device...

The screen went black and now the phone is completely dead, I've tried removing the battery, the USB cable, and different combinations of either or plugged in while holding down various combinations of buttons and cannot get the phone to show any signs of life whatsoever.

Uncles phone was a SGS Captivate from Rogers Canada and prior to his failed update it was running 2.2 Froyo

*UPDATE: Pulled battery and removed cable for several minutes, also pressed the power button and held it in for a minute to discharge any remaining power...replaced battery and held vol down + power button and I'm back in download mode

Last edited:

DozenMadder

Jan 29, 2012
New England
Had that happen to me also. I'm sure there is a cleaner way to success, but what worked for me was to install a different version of heimdall. At this point I have two versions of heimdall on my Mac. I need to install one of then for One-Clicks and the other for non-One-Click versions. Can't remember which works for which, but its probably different for each Mac anyway.

Edit: btw I literally had the same exact error message!

@Bobby look 5 posts above yours!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA App

Last edited:

Benjamin Dobell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
Can those of you who are having trouble with the "Failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence" or "Failed to confirm end of PIT file transfer" errors please post the the output from "heimdall print-pit" (also accessible from the Utilities tab of Heimdall Frontend)?

EDIT: Preferably using Heimdall 1.3.2.

Last edited:

DozenMadder

Jan 29, 2012
New England
I'm running heimdall on my Mac and have successfully flashed my infuse in the past but can't get it to work on my galaxy tab plus (p6210). I've tried versions 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 All with the same exact results. Heimdall detects a device but fails to claim interface. Still works on the infuse (I checked). Anybody have a thought to share regarding this?
Btw: I've seen a thread for heimdall packages for the p6200 so I'm pretty sure there is a way to get it working for the p6210 as well.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA App

Last edited:

jasnn

Jan 6, 2011
In attempt to help add to the device support for Heimdall, I finally setup my system so I could capture Odin USB traffic for the SGH-T989. I captured traffic for a full system "stock" flash of the UVKL1 ROM, (2.3.6), and traffic for just a "root" image flash of CWM, and then uploaded them to sendspace. So to the extent they are useful, they're at;

SGH-T989-odin-stock-flash.xz (292.46MB)
Description: Compressed Wireshark USB Log from Odin Flash of Stock SGH-T989 ROM

SGH-T989-odin-root-flash (6.18MB)
Description: Wireshark USB Log from Odin Flash of Root CWM Image on SGH-T989

For some reason, the sendspace links don't automatically download the file if you just click on them. However, if you hold down Ctrl and click the link, the download page will open in another window or tab, and you can download the file there. Also if they're incorrect or incomplete, please feel free to let me know, and I can try and redo them.

Thanks for Heimdall..

Last edited:

Ir0nLy0n

Jul 23, 2011
Baton Rouge
ironlyoncreations.zxq.net
Been trying to flash via Heimdall 1.3.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 and this is what I get. I can still get into download mode but no recovery or bootup.
Code:
heimdall flash --kernel /home/jeremy/AndroidFlashing/zImage
Heimdall v1.3.2, Copyright (c) 2010-2012, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
Claiming interface again...
Setting up interface...

Checking if protocol is initialised...
Protocol is not initialised.
Initialising protocol...
Handshaking with Loke...

Beginning session...
Session begun with device of type: 0

Downloading device's PIT file...
PIT file download sucessful

Uploading KERNEL
0%
ERROR: Failed to send file part packet!
KERNEL upload failed!
Ending session...
ERROR: Failed to receive session end confirmation!
Re-attaching kernel driver...

When I try to repartition it uploads PIT ok but same error with kernel

Last edited:

luxm4n

Dec 25, 2011
error libusb

hello, I using galaxy s2

and can't flash because:

ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: 0

Giallograle

Aug 20, 2007
Handshaking with Loke... ERROR: Failed to receive response!

Thanks for a very useful app Benjamin.

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000 which I rooted and am trying to flash with Heimdall-frontend 1.3.1.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, AMD64 and installed Heimdall 1.3.1 and frontend as those were the most recent packages for 64-bit debian in Github.

libusb-1.0-0 and libusb-1.0-0:i386 are installed and I have adb.

The Galaxy is attached by USB in Download mode - Heimdall-frontend detects the Galaxy, and I downloaded the PIT file which involved communicating with Loke. However when I run the manual flash I get the following Status messages:
Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Setting up interface...

Checking if protocol is initialised...
Protocol is not initialised.
Initialising protocol...
Handshaking with Loke...
ERROR: Failed to receive response!

Underneath it says, confusingly
Flash completed successfully!
however the progress bar is on 0%, and the phone hasn't rebooted - it's still in download mode, so it looks like the flash has failed.

The strange thing is that Loke was fine when I downloaded the PIT. Since the failed flash I've tried to download the PIT again, and this time it fails with the same handshake error. But the phone hasn't rebooted, and is still detected by Heimdall.

I've found a couple of references to this problem elsewhere, but nothing applicable to my situation. I'm loath to reboot the phone as the error message suggests that the flash has failed, and I'd rather try to complete it before I get any more problems.

Can anyone suggest how to get the Loke handshaking working again and complete the flash? Thanks!

Giallograle

Aug 20, 2007
OK problem solved. It seems that once Loke has been invoked by Heimdall it cannot be repeated until the Galaxy has been rebooted.

I saved my flash files and settings to a Heimdall package, and rebooted the Galaxy into Download mode - I had to pull the battery - tested the PIT download again, then flashed after another reboot. None of the flash files appeared to have been uploaded to the device.

The flash went smoothly - the files were listed as they were uploaded to the device and the process ended with the Galaxy rebooting into the new rom.

Hopefully this will save anyone else some headaches.

Sh0rty007

Nov 14, 2010
ok.. why is not a single download link in this thread working???????????????
I wanna try this software with my sgsplus.
or can someone just confirm that doesn work with an sgsplus?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is Heimdall?
    Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source tool suite used to flash ROMs onto Samsung Galaxy S devices.

How does it work?
    Heimdall uses the same protocol as Odin to interact with a device in download mode. USB communication in Heimdall is handled by the popular open-source USB library, libusb-1.0.

Why “Heimdall”?
    The flashing software Odin is named after the king of gods in Norse mythology. Loke, the software component on the Galaxy S that provides functionality to flash, may also to be named after an important character in Norse mythology, often translated as Loki. As such I have named my flashing software Heimdall, after the Norse god, and guardian of the Bifrost Bridge.

What platforms does Heimdall run on?
    Linux, OS X and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 etc.)

Why use Heimdall when we can use Odin?
    Odin is generally unreliable and only runs on Windows systems. Furthermore, Odin is leaked Samsung software that is not freely available or well understood by the community.

Is Heimdall safe?
    No matter what method you chose, flashing firmware onto your phone has a lot of potential for disaster. We have tested Heimdall with a variety of phones flashing several different firmware versions resulting in a 100% success rate. As such we believe that Heimdall is generally reliable. However keep in mind, just like any flashing software, Heimdall has the potential to brick your phone if not used correctly.

How do Galaxy S phones get bricked when flashing?
    Besides the inherent risks like power outs, accidental removal of the USB cable etc. The Galaxy S appears to be running extremely unreliable USB control software.

A failure to flash does not automatically equate to a bricked phone. However if you're extremely unlucky and the flash fails whilst transferring the primary boot-loader, secondary boot-loader or params.lfs (all quite small) than you've got yourself a paper weight that you're hoping Samsung will replace.

Please be extremely careful mixing files from different firmware releases. Don't do so unless you're certain it will work!

What Galaxy S variants has Heimdall been tested with?
    We’ve tested Heimdall with a Galaxy S GT-I9000 (8 GB) from the United Kingdom and Galaxy S GT-I9000 (16 GB) from Australia. We don’t personally have access to any other devices to test with, however users have confirmed Heimdall functions correctly with the AT&T Captivate, Bell Vibrant, Telstra GT-I9000T, Epic 4G and the Galaxy Tab.

Enough talk, where can we get it?
    The latest release is available here. Please read the instructions and README files included in the archives.

I love you, man. Will you have my baby?
    No, but I will very gladly accept donations. If you appreciate my work and would like to support future development you can make a donation here. If you think you have something else to offer, then feel free to shoot me a PM or contact me via the contact form on the Glass Echidna website.
    My response to the extremely rude user whose e-mail is included in my previous post:

[Name Redacted],

Am *I* kidding...? Really?

Instead of whinging to developers who volunteer their free-time to provide the community with free and open-source software, perhaps you could get of your arse and contribute.

Firstly, did you actually read the README? It includes extremely detailed steps that explain precisely how to use both Heimdall and Heimdall Frontend? Did you even bother to look for official documentation? Considering you intend to flash a device I'd say 8 hours of reading isn't at all unreasonable. You should actually have some comprehension of what it is you're trying to achieve, unless you'd like world's most expensive paperweight sitting on your desk. The process is only a disarray if you take no logical steps to understand it, the obvious first step being; read the README!

Secondly, how in all honesty do you expect me to support every variation of Samsung device ever released? I can assure, there's a lot. I live in Australia, we don't even operate archaic CDMA networks here! The software was originally written for the international Galaxy S (GT-I9000). The fact that it works with any of Samsung's other of devices is little more than a coincidence. *If* you would like support for the Galaxy CDMA tablet, aside from implementing it yourself (it's open-source after all), then perhaps you should consider donating towards the cost of purchasing such a device. Alternatively, perhaps you would consider mailing your tablet to me and paying the postage for me to return it to you when I'm done. Then I'll volunteer *my free-time* to add support for yet another device. Because believe it or not I can't afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars purchasing every variation of every device under the sun in exchange for the occasional donation, which mind you, don't even cover my bandwidth costs!

I strongly suggest next time you give some thought to what you write before contacting someone who gives up their free-time to help people just like you.

- Ben
    Hey everyone,

Sorry for disappearing for a little while, I've been quite busy. However the good news is that I just managed to set aside some time to work on an update to Heimdall!

The update will be command line only (for now) and adds the following functionality:
    - Support for the Galaxy S II! (Hopefully, keep reading.)
    - Support for SHW-M110S (Korean Galaxy S).
    - Improved support for Galaxy Tab, Captivate and Vibrants (see below).
    - No reboot option.
    - Dump the devices PIT file and print the information in a human readable format.
    - Support for more named partition parameters i.e. --hidden, --movinand.
    - One more major feature (read below).

However the biggest change is probably the proper support for PIT files. This means that less things are hard-coded. Instead Heimdall will be grabbing data from your device's PIT file or the PIT file you specify when repartitioning. This may seem like it has minor impact on the usefulness of Heimdall but it actually allowed me to add a second method of specifying files to be flashed to your phone.

You can now type
    heimdall --<partition identifier> <filename>
    i.e.

This essentially means you can flash any file your device supports as long as you know the partition identifier. Of course I don't expect you to know them off the top of your head. This is where the PIT file dumping functionality comes in.
    Walah! You now have a complete list of all the files your device supports.

Another minor change is that I've removed the restriction on needing to specify bootloaders (or any files in particular) when repartitioning. However, this was in place as a safety feature. I honestly have no idea whether repartitioning without certain files is safe, and I have no immediate plans to find out, so please be careful!

Back to the Galaxy S II. I don't own a Galaxy S II, so I'm unable to test any changes at present. However I very much would like to own a Galaxy S II! I'm certainly not one to hold out on releasing open-source software until a certain amount of donations have been received. I don't particularly agree with that. However let's just say that I'd very much like to be able to develop (and test) for the Galaxy S II and your donations would be very much appreciated! Again, a very big thanks to those of you who have donated!!!

Donate Link: http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Source Code ETA: < 24 hours
    Platform-specific binaries might take a little while longer to churn out.
    Source for 1.2.0 (beta) Heimdall command line tool has been pushed to Github. I'm going to get some sleep, when I wake up I'll start posting binaries.

Galaxy S II users, let me know if it works.
    I've used GUI only, and there I've needed PIT file for partition to be recognized.

This is correct, Heimdall Frontend does require a PIT file in order to provide you with a list of possible partitions to flash. However, as mentioned in my previous comment, a PIT file is not required from command line.

In any case, the current PIT can be downloaded from your device and saved to your computer using the "download-pit" command from command line, or from the Utilities tab in Heimdall Frontend.