Photographic Proof that TF-201 and TF-700 docks are identical, except stickers.

Search This thread

Draco719

Nov 30, 2012
There are three different versions that everyone is mixing up.

-Prime Dock
-Prime Dock rebadged as an Infinity Dock
-Real Infinity Dock

The pics in the OP are the prime dock compared to a rebadge. So yes, of course they look the same.....they are!

However the REAL 700 dock IS different, that's what ASUS is trying to say, but they still pulled a fast one and tried to scam consumers with the bull sh*t rebadged units.

The real 700 does not have the tipping issues because of new weight distribution. Good luck getting ASUS to fix their mistake though. Look at there listing on BBB.org, its a disaster and they aren't even accredited anyways....go figure.

craftyhack

Dec 23, 2010

-Prime Dock
-Real Infinity Dock

The pics in the OP are the prime dock compared to a rebadge. So yes, of course they look the same.....they are!

However the REAL 700 dock IS different, that's what ASUS is trying to say, but they still pulled a fast one and tried to scam consumers with the bull sh*t rebadged units.

The real 700 does not have the tipping issues because of new weight distribution. Good luck getting ASUS to fix their mistake though. Look at there listing on BBB.org, its a disaster and they aren't even accredited anyways....go figure.
Where is the "real" 700 dock? I am using a 201 dock which is working fine, but I am curious about the real T700 doc, and pics or YT vids showing it anywhere, more specifically showing the differences? Just want to know if it is worth it to upgrade.

pierrekid

Oct 23, 2010

-Prime Dock
-Real Infinity Dock

Why are you resurrecting a month and a half old thread.... seriously this has been put to rest a long time ago...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

ostar2

Nov 22, 2012
So moral of the story is to get the Primes dock? I'm thinking about buying a dock. Whats the point in spending $60 extra for the same thing? I can use that towards school! And beverages!!!

The docks are made of different materials, although, it is true that they have the same circuitry.

Toastysoul

Aug 28, 2012
At the risk of getting flamed for bringing up an old thread: I did read through this thread, and the question still remains - Is there a real TF700 dock out now that has a smaller battery and redistributed weight? If there is a real one, it certainly would affect my decision in buying a new vs used one.

I get that at one time, the TF700 docks were rebadged. However, there are no more TF200 docks for sale that I can find, and a better weight distribution claimed for new docks would be nice bonus. I always thought the one in the store with the TF201 dock was top heavy. So are the TF700 docks for sale now, still TF201 docks, or are they the real deal?

Kisakuku

Oct 31, 2011
HTC One (m7)
HTC EVO 3D
At the risk of getting flamed for bringing up an old thread: I did read through this thread, and the question still remains - Is there a real TF700 dock out now that has a smaller battery and redistributed weight? If there is a real one, it certainly would affect my decision in buying a new vs used one.

I get that at one time, the TF700 docks were rebadged. However, there are no more TF200 docks for sale that I can find, and a better weight distribution claimed for new docks would be nice bonus. I always thought the one in the store with the TF201 dock was top heavy. So are the TF700 docks for sale now, still TF201 docks, or are they the real deal?

Here's my experience with this issue. Check out the last 2-3 pages of that thread for some more insights. Personally, I think the TF201-labeled docks are cosmetically superior and functionally identical to the newer "real" AD01-labeled docks.

Reactions: lnew

Toastysoul

Aug 28, 2012
Here's my experience with this issue. Check out the last 2-3 pages of that thread for some more insights. Personally, I think the TF201-labeled docks are cosmetically superior and functionally identical to the newer "real" AD01-labeled docks.

I've been unable to locate a TF201 dock new so I picked up an AD01 dock last week. I don't really see any better weight distribution. The battery still feels located mid-deck. The housing is definitely plastic, but for me it doesn't stand out a whole lot. It obviously looks a bit different from the back of the tablet, but I don't really spend a lot of time looking at the bottom of the keyboard. The fit & lock are solid, and I have not had a single issue with that. The tablet does feel top heavy, and I have flipped it over a handful of times. Using it now on my lap, it wants to tip back. I don't think much has really changed, other than a cheaper plastic housing for the same price. I will continue to look for a new TF201 dock for the time being to see if I can compare them. The tiny keyboard does take a bit of getting used to. I find I have a higher error rate with it, than with a real keyboard or even the touchscreen keyboard. However, being able to view the full screen on the tablet when I am typing (e.g. now) is actually very useful.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I've been unable to locate a TF201 dock new so I picked up an AD01 dock last week. I don't really see any better weight distribution. The battery still feels located mid-deck. The housing is definitely plastic, but for me it doesn't stand out a whole lot. It obviously looks a bit different from the back of the tablet, but I don't really spend a lot of time looking at the bottom of the keyboard. The fit & lock are solid, and I have not had a single issue with that. The tablet does feel top heavy, and I have flipped it over a handful of times. Using it now on my lap, it wants to tip back. I don't think much has really changed, other than a cheaper plastic housing for the same price. I will continue to look for a new TF201 dock for the time being to see if I can compare them. The tiny keyboard does take a bit of getting used to. I find I have a higher error rate with it, than with a real keyboard or even the touchscreen keyboard. However, being able to view the full screen on the tablet when I am typing (e.g. now) is actually very useful.

Don't worry - you'll be typing full speed on the TF700 keyboard soon enough. The more you use it, the faster you'll get with it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

odorfreedk

Feb 11, 2013
Hi ALL,
This post is to address the confusion regarding the difference between the TF-201 only doc and the TF-700 Infinity dock that was released at the same time as the Infinity that I like many orderd the package on release day, (paying full MSRP for both, some paid more, where TF-201 doc is available easily $50-$60 cheaper, hence the importance of figuring out the distinction). The common theory is there is no real difference... that I shared once I received my TF-700 dock and saw no external differences other than a few stickers, and no differences what so ever in capability. There was a reported reduction in battery capacity in the TF-700 dock and change in battery position to distribute weight more effectively to prevent tip overs, but all indications (model number on box, in BIOS, etc.) indicate that this isn't true, that we all received repackaged TF-201 docks. Given the dramatic price difference (50% more in price), and the fact that I have been a loyal Asus customer for years, if Asus is going downhill and resorting to blatant misleading of their customers just to make a buck, IMO I can no longer trust anything that company says, and to me, beyond all else, trust is the most important when selecting your supplier of choice.

Their honesty regarding product issues, their innovation, and fantastic value (in most cases) for Asus products will be missed, but there are other great choices out there (and cheaper too), so do not despair. In the last month alone, even before the first reviews hit the inet (either professional or consumer) I have purchased an Asus Z77 Premium motherboard (their TOTL 1155 Z77 motherboard, and NOT CHEAP). I also got their GTX670 Direct CUII TOP video card (TOP version supposedly means it has the best binned video ships of all of the 670s for better over clocks and over all stability), but based on the cumulative results across then the inet on the comparisons between the standard Direct DUII and the TOP version I regularly see the normal version doing better (sometimes significantly) than the TOP versions, sometimes not, it basically looks like a TOP is no different than a standard model. These tests are controlled and documented tests, with one variable, which card is used in the test bed, everything else was done properly. In other words, I believe now that I payed an extra $30 for three letter printed on a box that mean nothing(MINE OVERCLOCKS HORRIBLY BTW), and overclocking is what paying the extra $30 for the TOP versions is FOR, they even given you an app overclock by pushing a button in their auto-oveclock app, so it is certainly a "supported and encouraged" practice. I bring this other example up because I am thinking that this dock thing is not an isolated incident. I am depressed to loose a friend/hardware partner where the only benefit is increasing the margin just a tiny bit. I have also just purchased the ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 13.3-Inch Ultrabook (SSD, ULV i-5, over a grand for that), and now I am wondering what I got into on that front. Now on to the proof...

All of the ones on the left in the SxS's are the TF-700s, (you can tell in the TF 700 because its stickers is missing the claim of 18hr battery life on the sticker on the palm rest). For the close ups, with only one dock, the pic is labeled with which doc it is.

Can you give us a quick rundown on how to open up the tf700 dock? I have to open it and see what's wrong with my trackpad...It'll click along the bottom edge but won't register anything. Are there screws under the rubber stoppers under the keyboard?

odorfreedk

Feb 11, 2013
Yes, remove the rubber feet.

Would you say it would be helpful to open up the dock to fix the trackpad? If i click on the bottom edge of the trackpad( towards the middle) it wouldn't register anything even though i press it, until I slightly press more to the right. I want to save the trouble of opening up the dock if there if a fix is not possible..thanks

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Would you say it would be helpful to open up the dock to fix the trackpad? If i click on the bottom edge of the trackpad( towards the middle) it wouldn't register anything even though i press it, until I slightly press more to the right. I want to save the trouble of opening up the dock if there if a fix is not possible..thanks

Stupid question, but you do realize that the bottom strip on the trackpad isn't supposed to work in the middle, right? It's a left and right click (two separate functions depending on if you click or the right side or the left side). The middle doesn't even produce a click on mine.

Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page! ;)

odorfreedk

Feb 11, 2013
Stupid question, but you do realize that the bottom strip on the trackpad isn't supposed to work in the middle, right? It's a left and right click (two separate functions depending on if you click or the right side or the left side). The middle doesn't even produce a click on mine.

Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page! ;)

Yes I'm fully aware of that :) however if you move your finger slightly to the right side of the middle it'll click. On mine the left side registers but the right side doesn't register the back button for some reason. I think the sensor underneath the trackpad is off. I that's why I was thinking about taking It apart and seeing what the problem is. Again the position is slightly to the right of the middle if that makes any sense

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi ALL,
    This post is to address the confusion regarding the difference between the TF-201 only doc and the TF-700 Infinity dock that was released at the same time as the Infinity that I like many orderd the package on release day, (paying full MSRP for both, some paid more, where TF-201 doc is available easily $50-$60 cheaper, hence the importance of figuring out the distinction). The common theory is there is no real difference... that I shared once I received my TF-700 dock and saw no external differences other than a few stickers, and no differences what so ever in capability. There was a reported reduction in battery capacity in the TF-700 dock and change in battery position to distribute weight more effectively to prevent tip overs, but all indications (model number on box, in BIOS, etc.) indicate that this isn't true, that we all received repackaged TF-201 docks. Given the dramatic price difference (50% more in price), and the fact that I have been a loyal Asus customer for years, if Asus is going downhill and resorting to blatant misleading of their customers just to make a buck, IMO I can no longer trust anything that company says, and to me, beyond all else, trust is the most important when selecting your supplier of choice.

Their honesty regarding product issues, their innovation, and fantastic value (in most cases) for Asus products will be missed, but there are other great choices out there (and cheaper too), so do not despair. In the last month alone, even before the first reviews hit the inet (either professional or consumer) I have purchased an Asus Z77 Premium motherboard (their TOTL 1155 Z77 motherboard, and NOT CHEAP). I also got their GTX670 Direct CUII TOP video card (TOP version supposedly means it has the best binned video ships of all of the 670s for better over clocks and over all stability), but based on the cumulative results across then the inet on the comparisons between the standard Direct DUII and the TOP version I regularly see the normal version doing better (sometimes significantly) than the TOP versions, sometimes not, it basically looks like a TOP is no different than a standard model. These tests are controlled and documented tests, with one variable, which card is used in the test bed, everything else was done properly. In other words, I believe now that I payed an extra $30 for three letter printed on a box that mean nothing(MINE OVERCLOCKS HORRIBLY BTW), and overclocking is what paying the extra $30 for the TOP versions is FOR, they even given you an app overclock by pushing a button in their auto-oveclock app, so it is certainly a "supported and encouraged" practice. I bring this other example up because I am thinking that this dock thing is not an isolated incident. I am depressed to loose a friend/hardware partner where the only benefit is increasing the margin just a tiny bit. I have also just purchased the ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 13.3-Inch Ultrabook (SSD, ULV i-5, over a grand for that), and now I am wondering what I got into on that front. Now on to the proof...

All of the ones on the left in the SxS's are the TF-700s, (you can tell in the TF 700 because its stickers is missing the claim of 18hr battery life on the sticker on the palm rest). For the close ups, with only one dock, the pic is labeled with which doc it is.
    Fixed, the TF-700 is always the one of the left when disassembled and side by side, I forgot tot annotate the pics, I am TIRED :).

P.S. Sad when you cannot even tell them apart, Asus really pulled a fast one IMO.
    I've never seen a 700 dock, but I'm pretty sure you are all wrong. Internally they are probably identical (wait, the 700 dock has a smaller battery, so they're not.) Also, much like many of you, I have a 700 tablet with the 201 dock. If you lock the tablet in and then look at the edge where they meet, you'll notice that the profiles don't match exactly. It works, but it's not perfect. I'm guessing it's safe to assume the 700 dock's profile fits the tablet exactly. I'd post a pic, but I'm too lazy and don't care enough. Functionally, they're almost identical, but to say they are actually identical is not true.

I would agree with you had the internals not been identical down to the PCB markings (excluding revision numbers, but marking the PCB's at TF-201 while incrementing the PCB version makes no sense, they would have changed the PCB to read TF-700, heck even the firmware sting in the "About" field says TF-201, and THAT is just a minor string change in a firmware). Plus, their website stated that the TF-201 dock was NOT compatible with the Infinity (which I did not see with my own eyes, but many have said this was the case and I trust them).

Also, the battery is the same exact size and the variance in weight could be attributed to my crappy (and free) postal scale, I should have weighed each 3 times and averaged, or better used my Hornady Auto Powder Dispenser scale, which is accurate to +-.0065 grams (+-.1 grain), dunno why I didn't think of that sooner :). Regarding battery LIFE, it is expected to be shorter for the Infinity using the same battery (same mAH) given the new CPUs/GPUs (depending on what you use the tablet for) and the higher resolution Super IPS+ display, BUT the important thing is that the mAH markings on the batteries were identical, as was the battery placement inside the dock, and ASUS specifically said that they moved the battery location in the new dock to improve stability. I never mentioned this, but i even swapped batteries between the docks, they both worked fine and they both showed the same regarding % charge. On a side note, there was some room in there, if they do make a TF-700 version, it would be nice if the battery was bigger, both to stabilize AND give longer life to the TF when docked.

I have yet to see any proof, picture or otherwise, that there exists a dock that was manufactured specifically for the TF-700, and the silence of the Asus company reps tends to support that theory given their complete and utter lack of reply on both this thread and responses given to those who contact them directly.

BTW, relatively speaking I am an ASUS fanboy, collectively I have spend more $ on Asus products than my car, and Audi A6(I bought a 5 year old used one, but still, it was $17k :)). I run an RT-AC66U Router, have a TF101 with dock, TF700 with dock(TF-201 dock for $80 :)), have an ASUS UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook Prime (i5 vs. i7 was the only thing I skimped on, I have no need for an i7 in my UB when I have an I3770K in my main PC on the Z77 OC'ed to 4.7GHz for heavy lifting duties, everything else i went top of the line, SSD, etc. on the lovely Prime UB that Asus made, best one on the market IMO), I have a PC full of the latest and greatest components from ASUS including their $500+ Premium Z77 MB and a couple of 670GTX's DirectCUII Top cards in SLI (would have gotten the 690 had I been able to find one, I was lucky to get the 670s as early I did, paying above MSRP and am now looking to sell them to get the 690), I could go on and on, I might as well have an ASUS tattoo on my forehead :).

My point is that I am not an ASUS hater, rather to the contrary I love their products and innovation. But in this example (and with the TF-201 debacle), I am starting to doubt the business unit responsible for their tablets, which sucks because the tablets themselves again I feel are the best in the industry (and I own several others, including the "new" iPad). I feel that they tried to pull a fast one. All they needed to say was that the Infinity was to be released first to get this fine piece of hardware into everyone's hands, and that a new and improved Infinity dock was still being worked on, but a TF-201 dock will work fine, I think everyone would have been cool with that transparency. Heck, they may have sold more as people probably would have bought both a TF-201 dock and then the Infinity version when it was available. Everyone knows being the first to the Android market with a 1920x1200 resolution in and of itself was important so that strategy would have made perfect sense, especially given the competition regarding the resolution of the new iPad and I think everyone would have understood and been OK with it.

Instead, the way they approached it IMO shows a lack of integrity all in the name of making extra $, knowing that they could sell the supposed TF-700 docks at MSRP or higher on pre-order vs. what those same docks were currently selling for ($99 or less), benefiting both them and their distributors, and only screwing the consumers. That is my guess at their rationalization anyway, and if I am right it stinks to high heaven, but I am welcoming other theories as to what the heck happened and what could have possessed ASUS to handle it the way that they did. I think the "why" is important, as understanding a motive definitely helps to support or debunk a theory.
    How to delete

One major tipping issue - the lack of "delete button"!!! Only "Backspace".

Shift + Backspace = Delete. Give it a try! :)