Update.zip 2.0 Modifier/Creator [Script] Drag/Drop Support [Windows]

Search This thread

tnpapadakos

Dec 20, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Im confused a little, why do u have folders you want to push to these directories ? You should use metamorph for this task of replacing images within the apk.

ok, was just trying to do it without metamorph, and i thought the folders was wrong, so any idea how i would do it with this tool without just plain adding the whole settings apk, or mms apk with my replaced images in them?

till now, i just take the rom and change everything i want changed on my pc, then sign and then i flash the zip...was just trying to make an update.zip that would "mod" the rom in one step

Daneshm90

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 1, 2009
ok, was just trying to do it without metamorph, and i thought the folders was wrong, so any idea how i would do it with this tool without just plain adding the whole settings apk, or mms apk with my replaced images in them?

till now, i just take the rom and change everything i want changed on my pc, then sign and then i flash the zip...was just trying to make an update.zip that would "mod" the rom in one step

It wouldn't be possible using this batch script as its limited to what syntax it can insert into ur update-script. Perhaps what one could do, is have a .sh file which allows for the extraction of .apk's (essentially .zip's). Im not sure but doesn't the recovery support "unzip" command ? U cud just write urself a update-script which extracts, inserts, repacks.

tnpapadakos

Dec 20, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It wouldn't be possible using this batch script as its limited to what syntax it can insert into ur update-script. Perhaps what one could do, is have a .sh file which allows for the extraction of .apk's (essentially .zip's). Im not sure but doesn't the recovery support "unzip" command ? U cud just write urself a update-script which extracts, inserts, repacks.

alrighty then...thanx

Toisan

May 12, 2010
Stuttgart
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hallo,

one short question, are these steps right if i want to flash a .apk into system/app

Steps:

1. creat a folder called "app" in "placehere" folder
  2. open .bat, wrote "y" -> enter
  3. creat a update-script -> copy directories -> to SYSTEM -> app -> again app (for "app" folder in "placehere" folder)
  4. wrote 8 -> enter
  5. create update.zip
  6. flash it
thats all cause i got this error in Clockwork recovery with the .zip:

Code:
"E:Can't open /cache/update.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted."
so if u can, here is it, than u can have a look at it:

Download

thank u for ur help!

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
Hallo,

one short question, are these steps right if i want to flash a .apk into system/app

Steps:

1. creat a folder called "app" in "placehere" folder
  2. open .bat, wrote "y" -> enter
  3. creat a update-script -> copy directories -> to SYSTEM -> app -> again app (for "app" folder in "placehere" folder)
  4. wrote 8 -> enter
  5. create update.zip
  6. flash it
thats all cause i got this error in Clockwork recovery with the .zip:

Code:
"E:Can't open /cache/update.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted."
so if u can, here is it, than u can have a look at it:

Download

thank u for ur help!

Hey,

Ur steps are correct. Just a question, can u try flashing another "proven to work" update.zip and see if it flashes ? Also can u check how much space you got left on ur /cache partition ? do

adb shell df /cache

Thanks

Toisan

May 12, 2010
Stuttgart
OnePlus 8 Pro
Sry for this, rebuild the update.zip and now its works :)

best tool to do this :)

Maybe u can add some finished update-scripts to this like for framework, app...

and how to add to thins to flash, e.g. framework and apps?

regards and Thanks!

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
Sry for this, rebuild the update.zip and now its works :)

best tool to do this :)

Maybe u can add some finished update-scripts to this like for framework, app...

and how to add to thins to flash, e.g. framework and apps?

regards and Thanks!

I guess lol so sort of a guide for different scenarios.

I'll see when i get the time.

deprecate

Jan 3, 2009
honolulu
I took a rom that I have already flashed so I know it flashes fine to see how things actually worked.

I extracted it to placehere (META-INF, system, boot.img)
I replaced a few apks essentially changing the default language
I used option 2 per the video demo that you posted
I noticed that once it tells me that the update.zip is created and all is OK, the META-INF folder found in placehere vanishes. Is this normal?
I toss the update on my sdcard and attempt to flash it; it fails with "no update script found".

Out of curiousity, I open up the update.zip that was created and there is a META-INF folder present so it placed it correctly...for some reason though, when flashing, it assumes there is no update script found.

For testing purposes, I took the rom that flashes fine, placed it in placehere and did not alter a single thing. I created a fresh update.zip with it and attempted to flash it as well. The same result, "Can't find update script".

What am I missing?

update: So for some reason it is not carrying the com folder in META-INF when creating the update.zip, nor updating the updater script found within. I suppose I can simply drop the previous one in there, but for all new apks I add, or for any I remove, things will not go as planned when flashing.

No bueno :)

Last edited:

Stoney 666

Aug 23, 2010
SUR GATE!!
i really want to start using this with your porting tool, but when i run this, it says "java was not found, you will not be able to sign apks or use apktools" any help please!! i just updated my java right before i tried running this...

sisterchick

Feb 4, 2010
Texas!
Fix Permissions???

Is it possible to fire off fix_permissions (Amon RA recovery) via this scripting tool? I tried just adding "fix_permissions" to the script and it returned a syntax error.

stevendeb25

May 27, 2010
england
pnht.org
great tool bud :)

i tried this tool at first apk wasnt being copied when flashing update.

i had folder in placehere called app with apk file inside

then used 1,1,SYSTEM,app,app,8,2

but that didnt work

i had to use 1,2,SYSTEM,app,app,8,2 then it worked :)

this right?

yep META-INF is failing :(

ok only had to do 1,2,SYSTEM,system,system,8 coz it was copying a folder of the same name my bad :(

Last edited:

rudim

Jun 19, 2010
updated.zip

@Daneshm90

I am completed noob i try to follow the video but is too fast for me
i want to make several apk onto updated.zip into the system/app
my device is SGS mod samdroid v2
can describe here the step
i read that ppl has problem too
sorry to bothering you
sorry my bad english

Thanks

Last edited:

jpcastedo

Jun 18, 2009
College Station
Hmm then java might not have been successful at adding it to your path if u get "java not found" when u type in cmd.

Do this :

Right click my computer
Select properties
Select Advanced system settings
Select Environment Variables
Then from the bottom half ("System Variables")
Scroll down to path and double click it
Now, add the path to your java directory, for reference heres wht my path looks like

Code:
c:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenLibraries\bin;C:\Users\Danesh\Android\AndroidSdk\tools;[B]C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin[/B]
OP should add this to the main post hehe
Thanks for the script :)

crisvillani

Oct 22, 2009
Hello i i am trying to make an update.zip to copy two apk's to system partition, this is my update script:
Code:
copy_dir PACKAGE:SYSTEM SYSTEM:app 
delete SYSTEM:app/Swype.apk

but everytime i try to flash i get Syntax error in update script, i looked through thread but my update script seems to look the same as everyone elses soo i dont know what the problem is .

by the way the two files im trying to copy over are FancyWidget, and HTC_IME.

thank you

crisvillani

Oct 22, 2009
Hello i i am trying to make an update.zip to copy two apk's to system partition, this is my update script:
Code:
copy_dir PACKAGE:SYSTEM SYSTEM:app 
delete SYSTEM:app/Swype.apk

but everytime i try to flash i get Syntax error in update script, i looked through thread but my update script seems to look the same as everyone elses soo i dont know what the problem is .

by the way the two files im trying to copy over are FancyWidget, and HTC_IME.

thank you

Ok i got it working and both apps were moved to system/app but now Fancywidget installs , but the HTC_IME doesnt, its just in the system/app but doesnt show up in settings or in apps installed??

any idea?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This script has 2 main uses:

1. Modify an update.zip
    2. Create an update.zip

For #1 - You just extract the contents of an update.zip into the placehere folder, modify its contents, and run the script stating to create an update.zip

For #2 - So far these are the options i have in there for create the update-script

1. Copy directories
    2. Copy files
    3. Create Symlinks
    4. Delete file
    5. Delete directory
    6. Flash boot image
    7. Set permissions for file
    8. Set permissions for directory

New Features in 2.0 :
    - Set java heap size / compression level for zip
    - New drag/drop mode.
    >>> - If you drag a folder onto the script's icon (as in Script.bat) it will compress the contents of the folder into a zip and sign it.
    >>> - If u drag a zip onto the script's icon (as in Script.bat) it will sign the zip for you.

So this script guides u as u select each option, and adds the appropriate command to the update-script file. Then u exit that sub-menu and create update.zip

Heres a video for a better explanation:

This script is a result of me constantly wanting to modify roms before i flash them & users who are unaware/lost as to creating/modifying update.zips.

Download : [Windows]

Okay, if anyone would like to test and give me feedback id appreciate it.

New version is for updater-script. (aka Edify which seems to be what most recoveries are supporting now)

Download
    Uploaded to mediafire:
    DOWNLOAD
    Full Credit to Daneshm90 and Thanks to him!
    Did this cause multiupload link is down :D
    update-script is now

Code:
    package_extract_file("LearnPython_1.1.1.apk", "/system/app/Python.apk");

but I still get a syntax error

Edit: I had also tried putting it in a placeholder file, but that didn't help either, even with the added semicolon

Retry, cuz i just did it and it works fine.

Created a folder app inside placehere folder
    placed my apk inside it
    Ran the script, chose option 1
    Then chose option 1
    Then typed DATA
    Then typed app
    Then typed app
    Then typed 9
    Then typed 2
    Then flashed the update.zip

Letter Casing matters, if it says SYSTEM or DATA , do that dont do data or system.

Btw, first clear out using the script. So when u run it. type y to clear ur previous work.