Difference in 13MP camera and "Selfie" Camera

Search This thread

hawkstwelve

Jun 13, 2013
Seattle
I don't know if this issue has been brought up yet or not, but I have an odd bug. When using the 13MP shooter, the picture looks extremely grainy and the blacks are more like grays. The line of trees around our house don't look black, they look an ashy smoke grey. And the grainy-ness is so bad it almost looks distorted at certain points that my son was walking around.

And yet when taking "selfies" the front camera produces crystal clear, beautiful pictures. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if I need to return this to TMO and get a replacement?

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
I don't know if this issue has been brought up yet or not, but I have an odd bug. When using the 13MP shooter, the picture looks extremely grainy and the blacks are more like grays. The line of trees around our house don't look black, they look an ashy smoke grey. And the grainy-ness is so bad it almost looks distorted at certain points that my son was walking around.

And yet when taking "selfies" the front camera produces crystal clear, beautiful pictures. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if I need to return this to TMO and get a replacement?

Any samples pictures to know what exactly you're talking about?
But from what it sounds like, get a replacement, i have no such issues.

Here is a sample image:

20140725_194827.jpg

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
My selfie camera looks like crap and is slow inside with low lighting.. grainy and bright. The rear does better, but still bad. Outside both are great. Lighting is huge with this camera.

Sent from my LG G3

hawkstwelve

Jun 13, 2013
Seattle
Any samples pictures to know what exactly you're talking about?
But from what it sounds like, get a replacement, i have no such issues.

Here is a sample image:

20140725_194827.jpg

Here's a sample picture that shows the blacks as the greys. Can't tell much about the grainy/pixelated part from this picture, but it gives you the idea.

20140727_203826.jpg

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

rezadue

Jun 14, 2011
Ottawa
When I broke the camera lens cover on my G2, I installed a replacement. After installing the replacement my pictures were like the one posted here.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a plastic removable film on the lens cover. When I took it off the pictures were great.. :)

Check and make sure you don't have a protective plastic film left on your lens cover.

Here's a sample picture that shows the blacks as the greys. Can't tell much about the grainy/pixelated part from this picture, but it gives you the idea.

20140727_203826.jpg

hawkstwelve

Jun 13, 2013
Seattle
When I broke the camera lens cover on my G2, I installed a replacement. After installing the replacement my pictures were like the one posted here.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a plastic removable film on the lens cover. When I took it off the pictures were great.. :)

Check and make sure you don't have a protective plastic film left on your lens cover.

Good suggestion, but there is no plastic film covering the camera. I'm fairly certain if I take it into TMO they will just exchange it. Might just go for that and see if it helps.