Is it just me?

Search This thread

helikido

Oct 23, 2010
When I use my friends iPhones or any 720p phones they look very grainy to me. Is it just me or is it because I have gotten used to the QHD display on my G3? I used to think the iPhone screen size was ok...now when I use it it's like a toy, and I have a hard time navigating the screen ?

Also whenever I use the S4 it definitely feels a little more grainy after you get used to the QHD panel. Is anyone else seeing those sideffects. I think my perception quality expectations is out of the roof now...makes me wonder how people claim that a iPhone PPI is more than enough ?

Fir3blade

May 16, 2011
Same here, every smartphone I am looking at looks kinda grainy, it's hard to describe...
The display of my mother in laws Galaxy core something with it's 800x480 4,3" display looks like a crossword puzzle ☺

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
Frankly even some 720P phones make the iPhone look grainy, the iPhone is one of the lowest DPI phones you can still buy, it doesn't qualify as HD by any definition.

Urmet77

Mar 30, 2013
Yup my other phone is iphone 5 and its sh*t compered to g3 my mother huawei g300 that is just ridiculous

malichevich

Apr 5, 2013
Zürich
When I use my friends iPhones or any 720p phones they look very grainy to me. Is it just me or is it because I have gotten used to the QHD display on my G3? I used to think the iPhone screen size was ok...now when I use it it's like a toy, and I have a hard time navigating the screen ?

Also whenever I use the S4 it definitely feels a little more grainy after you get used to the QHD panel. Is anyone else seeing those sideffects. I think my perception quality expectations is out of the roof now...makes me wonder how people claim that a iPhone PPI is more than enough ?
Yes my friend is like riding mule after horse.

helikido

Oct 23, 2010
Frankly even some 720P phones make the iPhone look grainy, the iPhone is one of the lowest DPI phones you can still buy, it doesn't qualify as HD by any definition.
I know it makes me think what the hell are the iPhone fans thinking when they say that 300 PPI is more than enough or 1080p is unnecessary. Even the New iPhone 6 4.7 and 5.5 inch models won't have FHD. Totally will look grainy for sure.
Same here, every smartphone I am looking at looks kinda grainy, it's hard to describe...
The display of my mother in laws Galaxy core something with it's 800x480 4,3" display looks like a crossword puzzle ☺
Lol I could spot every pixel on my vibrant with ease. It has a 800×480 resolution too and it's super amoled to make it worse lol
My MotoG display still looks great though.
Well yeah, I'm just talking about graininess

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
Not just you, I also have a Moto X and that screen just screams of pixelation.

DylanMk2

Oct 5, 2012
Lincoln
I'm starting to see old image assets showing their true low definition in apps, live wallpapers, games ect. Luckyily this isnt a 4k phone or it might be more noticable, as is things will only improve for 2k and 4k as time progresses. I can really tell text has lost the jagged edges it had with my old 720p phone which is nice.
Wanted to add it will be strange seeing mobile devices pushing uhd more than most, remember the image quality android and ois started with?

Last edited:

jetsetwilly

Dec 16, 2008
Manchester
You sure you're not looking at the S4 with one of those plastic screen protectors on?

Sent from my LG-F400K using XDA Free mobile app

helikido

Oct 23, 2010
I have a g2 and an S4 in my framily and they both look okay when compared to my G3
Yeah they look perfectly fine bro.

Now what has me tripping is how can LG put a qhd resolution on the LG Stylus. That is such a 2010 resolution. I can't imagine what kind of PPi and grainy experience one would have.

grifter9931

Jun 26, 2011
Sierre Madre
Yeah they look perfectly fine bro.

Now what has me tripping is how can LG put a qhd resolution on the LG Stylus. That is such a 2010 resolution. I can't imagine what kind of PPi and grainy experience one would have.

When I say they look okay, I mean they look okay... Not fantastic or anything. I personally like the lg g3 display. It doesn't have that saturated look that Apple pushes with almost all of their displays.

It's more like a Eizo or Ben-q monitor. I guess you just have to work on them for period of time to appreciate it..

Some folks will dislike the output and some will make the necessary color adjustments to the device. I have colleagues who have looked at footage or hi res pictures on my device and they like the output..

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helikido

Oct 23, 2010
When I say they look okay, I mean they look okay... Not fantastic or anything. I personally like the lg g3 display. It doesn't have that saturated look that Apple pushes with almost all of their displays.

It's more like a Eizo or Ben-q monitor. I guess you just have to work on them for period of time to appreciate it..

Some folks will dislike the output and some will make the necessary color adjustments to the device. I have colleagues who have looked at footage or hi res pictures on my device and they like the output..

YMMV

The S4 and G2 displays are sti some very nice displays buddy. R2member they are still 1080p display.

With the galaxy s series phones you can calibrate the screen really good. On my issue is screen burn in.

grifter9931

Jun 26, 2011
Sierre Madre
The g2 to me is an okay display. The s4,wasn't something I cared for display wise. I still have my G2. I never noticed screen burn in with my g2

I tried using my calibrator on my g2 and I failed!!
When the new devices drop, it will be the same issues. The iPhone will have glue issues like they always. People will complain about the note 4 display until a few updates come out, and people will talk about the moto's radio more than anything else. The N6 will be buttery smooth , and that will be the sticking point for most with each particular device..

Power consumption concerning the higher end displays will be interesting with these devices..

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

What's also interesting will be if these displays actually change after being used for a while. My tv needed X amount of burn in time before the calibrator came out and to my place and did some adjustments to the tv.

If anyone can expound on if that is the case with these displays that would be interesting to get some source material on and read up on the subject.

helikido

Oct 23, 2010
The g2 to me is an okay display. The s4,wasn't something I cared for display wise. I still have my G2. I never noticed screen burn in with my g2

I tried using my calibrator on my g2 and I failed!!
When the new devices drop, it will be the same issues. The iPhone will have glue issues like they always. People will complain about the note 4 display until a few updates come out, and people will talk about the moto's radio more than anything else. The N6 will be buttery smooth , and that will be the sticking point for most with each particular device..

Power consumption concerning the higher end displays will be interesting with these devices..

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

What's also interesting will be if these displays actually change after being used for a while. My tv needed X amount of burn in time before the calibrator came out and to my place and did some adjustments to the tv.

If anyone can expound on if that is the case with these displays that would be interesting to get some source material on and read up on the subject.

LCD displays do in fact cure over time. They just like everything else typically take time to burn in.