[Q] OC 1.2Ghz NC vs 800Mhz NT

Search This thread

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
I have a NC 1.4.1 rooted with MN 5.x with OC to 1.2Ghz. I am tempted to buy a 16GB NT. How does performance of a 1.2 Ghz OC NC with 512MB compare to a 0.8Ghz NT with 1gb ram?

jdpdata

Dec 22, 2011
Los Angeles
I thought NT comes with Dual Core 1ghz proccessor.
It will be way faster than NC. Price dropped to $199 is tempting indeed, but i'd wait for Asus Memo 370 quad core slated for only $250.

Sent from my CM9 Nook

Reactions: alexwick

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
It will be way faster than NC. Price dropped to $199 is tempting indeed, but i'd wait for Asus Memo 370 quad core slated for only $250.

Sent from my CM9 Nook
I'm waiting for it too but honestly, I think it's too good to be true and since the announcement (could well be a false mouth), ASUS has been pretty quiet on it, no info, no update info at all. The term "Memo 370T" completely disappears.

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Dual core comes into play with multi-thread operations. When browsing the web with nothing in the background, a NC 1.2Ghz OC will be faster than a 1Ghz NT.
I can't offer up any scientific testing data, but I can tell you that my wife's NT is much quicker web browsing using Opera than my NC overclocked to 1.2 GHz. Presumably, Opera is taking advantage of those multithreading capabilities.

It's noticeably smoother overall. The NC will tend to "get busy" and just hang until an operation completes, where the NT keeps plugging.

All subjective, of course, and YMMV. If it had been as hackable, I'd have gone with the NT.

boomn

Feb 2, 2011
The Nook Tablet's OMAP4 CPU includes many significant improvements over the Nook Color's OMAP3 CPU so direct GHz comparisons won't be too meaningful.

The OMAP4 is built around Cortex-A9 ARM cores that are a generation beyond the Cortex-A8 ARM cores in the NC's OMAP3. Highlights include out-of-order execution, speculative execution, superscalar architecture, and much more. Also, the OMAP4 uses LPDDR2 vs LPDDR in the OMAP3. Out-of-order execution alone is pretty significant, and there's a good reason every Intel CPU since the original Pentium has had it. Well, every CPU except their Atom line and it's one of the reasons the Atom CPUs feel slower than an underclocked Core CPU

Last edited:

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
The Nook Tablet's OMAP4 CPU includes many significant improvements over the Nook Color's OMAP3 CPU so direct GHz comparisons won't be too meaningful.

The OMAP4 is built around Cortex-A9 ARM cores that are a generation beyond the Cortex-A8 ARM cores in the NC's OMAP3. Highlights include out-of-order execution, speculative execution, superscalar architecture, and much more. Also, the OMAP4 uses LPDDR2 vs LPDDR in the OMAP3. Out-of-order execution alone is pretty significant, and there's a good reason every Intel CPU since the original Pentium has had it. Well, every CPU except their Atom line and it's one of the reasons the Atom CPUs feel slower than an underclocked Core CPU

Thanks.. exactly what I was looking for. Should have looked up the specs on the cores myself.

I can't offer up any scientific testing data, but I can tell you that my wife's NT is much quicker web browsing using Opera than my NC overclocked to 1.2 GHz. Presumably, Opera is taking advantage of those multithreading capabilities.

It's noticeably smoother overall. The NC will tend to "get busy" and just hang until an operation completes, where the NT keeps plugging.

All subjective, of course, and YMMV. If it had been as hackable, I'd have gone with the NT.

Since the NT has been rooted, why isn't it as hackable? Has the boot loader been cracked?

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Since the NT has been rooted, why isn't it as hackable? Has the boot loader been cracked?
It certainly wasn't when I made my buying decision, and unless I'm mistaken, you can't load CM onto eMMC (yet). Thanks to the dedicated crew at XDA and other sites, it's getting there.

Frankly, though, the NT has lost its lustre for me. I was hoping for a faster, smoother NC, but instead B&N went the lockdown route. Now that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus can be had for under $300, and more options are on the way, I'm just going to wait a few months for a full-on Android tablet and be done with B&N's nonsense.

It's a shame, since I really like the NT hardware. I just don't want to be arguing with B&N over who gets to control the device I've paid for if I want to keep it updated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my CM9 Nook