[WIP] Kexec (bootloader bypass!) CUSTOM KERNEL (**WORKING**)

Search This thread

phrir1

Dec 11, 2011
** ATTN DEVS **

Not sure if alot of people know about this but i wanted to share and help get the word out there, because i will affect our D4 as well. And the more people that know about it, the better.

kholk has got a custom kernal booting on his RAZR. As we all know the RAZR has a locked bootloader. check out the links to the original threads.

AS OF NOW THIS IS ON THE ETERNITY THREAD

What do we have today?
Kexec. After working with a really good developer, [mbm], finally this has become real.
Linux boots Linux. No signature checks.
Yeah, this is the beginning of custom kernels
Oh, remember that this is still a WORK IN PROGRESS!

Known issues (to be solved):
- CPU1 doesn't come up.

ToDo:
- Fix CPU1

Disclaimer:
The EternityProject isn't responsible of anything you do on your device: if it explodes and kills you, or if it comes to life and becomes something like Terminator, it's YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY.

LINK TO TOPIC IN
XDA

THREAD AT
ETERNITY PROJECT

BIG THANKS TO KHOLK, [MBM], ZEIDOF, AND ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE ETERNITY PROJECT TEAM WHO HELPED WITH THIS.

Last edited:

dewhashish

Jan 29, 2012
this looks great, i hope this can be ported over to the Droid 4 no problem, in your face Motorola! you make great phones, but your bootloader policy sucks

problematic

Jan 11, 2011
I had decided I would try it on my phone as-is. When I run the script I get what appears to be syntax errors or something.
Code:
bypassme.sh[12]: /system/bypassme/physicalmem: No such file or directory
bypassme.sh[16]: ./kexec: No such file or directory

Hopefully we will get a version compatible with our phones and CM9 soon. I'd like to see something like the 2nd-init exploit that can do it early in the boot process.

phrir1

Dec 11, 2011
From what's been said I think it only works with stock rom. Any custom rom would have to be ported to it. And for the d4 as well

Edit: did you run as su

*** Sent from OCd ICS D4 ***

problematic

Jan 11, 2011
I modified the bypassme.sh script to
Code:
insmod /system/bypassme/atags.ko
cat /system/bypassme/atags3 > /proc/atags
cat /system/bypassme/physicalmem 0x4A314048 w 0x4444AAAA
cat /system/bypassme/physicalmem 0x4A314048 w 0x44445555
insmod /system/bypassme/functions.ko
insmod /system/bypassme/userspace.ko
cd /system/bypassme/
sh kexec -l zImage --devtree=devtree3 --ramdisk=ramdisk.gz
sleep 10
sh kexec -e
and it runs and displays some funky text but doesn't seem to actually do anything. But is it the same error the CDMA Razr gets or something else?

redddog

Jul 27, 2011
I'm going to show my total stupidity here and ask a very basic question.

If we already have root, custom ROMs and recovery, what does the custom kernel allow you to do?

Sorry for bringing it down to the lowest level and thanks for your patience.

dewhashish

Jan 29, 2012
it lets you flash custom kernels (to overclock, underclock, change voltage levels), it also let's you flash custom radios for better reception

Reactions: theeStig

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
Even a safestrap rom remains running off of the Motorola kernel. If we can run our own kernel, we can hack deeper into the device, compile our own drivers, and actually update the kernel itself to the latest one from AOSP. For example, right now we are running Android 4 using a kernel from Android 2.3, kexec would allow us to update that.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

Reactions: theeStig

niai_mack

Feb 19, 2011
as fare as i understand this should let us unlock GSM on the phone for use in Europe
or am i mistaken?

if i am not then how long do you think until we see GSM working?

edit
sorry it was late when i posted that and thought this was something to do with the baseband not bootloader

Last edited:

redddog

Jul 27, 2011
Possible dumb question. If there is only one sim card slot in this phone that Moto uses for authentification, where would the GSM sim card go?

Apologize if this is a stupid question.

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
LTE operates on a GSM band erm... gsm standard. (The LTE sim card, I believe is just that... a sim card)

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
I believe you just flash a radio that corresponds to verizon's specific spectrum vs some other carrier's spectrum like, say, at&t.

phrir1

Dec 11, 2011
This doesn't unlock the phone. It boots stock kernal, then boots a custom kernal on top of it

*** Sent from OCd ICS D4 ***

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** ATTN DEVS **

Not sure if alot of people know about this but i wanted to share and help get the word out there, because i will affect our D4 as well. And the more people that know about it, the better.

kholk has got a custom kernal booting on his RAZR. As we all know the RAZR has a locked bootloader. check out the links to the original threads.

AS OF NOW THIS IS ON THE ETERNITY THREAD

What do we have today?
    Kexec. After working with a really good developer, [mbm], finally this has become real.
    Linux boots Linux. No signature checks.
    Yeah, this is the beginning of custom kernels
    Oh, remember that this is still a WORK IN PROGRESS!

Known issues (to be solved):
    - CPU1 doesn't come up.

ToDo:
    - Fix CPU1

Disclaimer:
    The EternityProject isn't responsible of anything you do on your device: if it explodes and kills you, or if it comes to life and becomes something like Terminator, it's YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY.

LINK TO TOPIC IN
    XDA

THREAD AT
    ETERNITY PROJECT

BIG THANKS TO KHOLK, [MBM], ZEIDOF, AND ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE ETERNITY PROJECT TEAM WHO HELPED WITH THIS.
    it lets you flash custom kernels (to overclock, underclock, change voltage levels), it also let's you flash custom radios for better reception
    Even a safestrap rom remains running off of the Motorola kernel. If we can run our own kernel, we can hack deeper into the device, compile our own drivers, and actually update the kernel itself to the latest one from AOSP. For example, right now we are running Android 4 using a kernel from Android 2.3, kexec would allow us to update that.

as fare as i understand this should let us unlock GSM on the phone for use in Europe
    or am i mistaken?

if i am not then how long do you think until we see GSM working?

Someone in the general section under the Droid 4 for Hong Konger claims to have one for GSM enabled.

Sent from my DROID4 using Carrier Pigeons
    Correct, but the result is that the stock kernel becomes something like an unencrypted second-stage bootloader. You can attach a custom recovery to it, use the non-stock kernel to flash unofficial firmware, and so on.