Using the Note as a teaching aid

Search This thread

redsurfbus

Jan 26, 2014
Hi,
I have started using a note 10.1 as a teaching aid, although I dont think I have been doing it the right way round.
I was using it to control my desktop so I could move slides on the interactive whiteboard, this became tedious as it was too slow and just a glorified mousepad.

In the new term I want to pair it up with a allshare cast hub, after using it at home a lot most of the tool I have on the whiteboard are already on the note, but better on the note. My intention is to sit with the students rather than stand at the front, I do this for most of the lesson anyway.

Recently I went on the Google Certified Teacher course and it has changed my teaching a fair bit, I use Google drive to upload all my lessons and the students can move at their own pace as they ALL have chromebooks (apart from the ones who have used said chromebooks to hit others round the head with on the bus on the way home.....they are still waiting for screen repairs).

My question is does anyone else do this? I did notice a couple of people post in other threads that they use them for teaching. I think this really is the way forward in the classroom. Most of the other teachers think I am mad for refusing an ipad - most also dont know much about using technology and wouldnt know an apk from an xls. I teach maths, any advice or discussion on how we can use these really well in the classroom would be great.

Thanks BTW for all the great info on here, I may even root my note 2 soon as its now out of warranty, I have no intention of replacing this though as think its pretty much the pinnacle of phones in their current design, maybe the note 4 will tempt me but doubt it. I have used this type of kit since the psion, then the XDA (htc) with win mobile, then the dark side for a short interlude, so glad I have control of my tech again :good:

Reactions: tspatil001

pierrekid

Oct 23, 2010
How could it be out of warranty? You have a year unless you have voided it some how

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

compumasta

Jan 25, 2011
My question is does anyone else do this?

While there appears to be a couple of people here that use these for teaching, I would be fairly certain that you are definitely a trailblazer of sorts on this extensive of use in the classroom. I love the idea and will definitely keep an eye out for what you are able to accomplish. My mother is a first grade teacher and is constantly having me set up more things that allow her to better utilize the tools at her disposal. This will be a thread that I want to watch for sure.

That said, sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

redsurfbus

Jan 26, 2014
I will give you an idea of what I do at present.

When I set a lesson up it is aimed at the level of the class, which is generally more specific than a topic in a text book. I know what the students (majority!) are missing in terms of skills for a particular topic, and where I want to get them. This is often different to what is written in the text book. Text books do not cover misconceptions very well, I like to set certain questions up knowing exactly the wrong answers that will be given, purposely setting traps in a way.

So I set up my lesson using the 'interactive' books and other resources I have designed myself. Specifically cutting and pasting what I want, and shifting round into an order that I want. This then is exported from the interactive whiteboard software to pdf, then uploaded into the class shared google drive folder. Ultimately I want to start the class off at the front, some will race away and be pages ahead of others, some will be slower than the majority so both of these groups have their chromebooks to follow the lesson at their pace. The majority follows me at, or rather I judge the pace of the majority and work to it so perhaps I follow them,

The note comes into play when I am moving around the room, I can demo misconceptions as they crop up, show worked examples and get students to write these up on the board without getting out of their seats. One thing that I do miss is the equation editing function in Snote, this would have been perfect for the higher grades to see equations balancing and to play with themselves. I can of course still use my phone to do this as well, but the students tell me off for getting my phone out as they are not allowed......I tell them its not a phone, its a tablerone.....or a phablet.....you choose ;)

Reactions: searchtheskies

mikejones13

Sep 21, 2008
Hidden somewhere in the USA
Ok so a little background on my job. I currently work for the ONLY school in the world (confirmed by Samsung South Korea) that is at a full 1:1 ratio with the Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013 and I am the admin running everything behind the scenes. We currently have 800+ Galaxy note 10.1 in our student and staff's hands. EVERYONE in our building has a tablet including TA's, ILC TA's, Kitchen Staff, Before and After School staff and our building engineer. We use the tablets 75%-90% of the day. It just depends on what grade level you are talking about (K-5). The tablets have been used for the last year and a half and they are used in EVERY subject, the students also take the tablets home everyday. On top of that we are also running a Samsung School Demo http://www.samsung.com/global/business/mobile/solution/education/samsungschool Now with this demo we have a 75-inch and 65-inch touchscreen TV and 55 students with 3 teachers running the demo. This tool is AMAZING for our students, they keep the students engaged and that was one of the points. We also have Promethean boards in every classroom.... With an Allshare Cast Dongle and ATV Pro VGA to HDMI converter we use all of our basic VGA projectors to mirror the devices on the board and with a PC hooked up to Computer 2 VGA input we are able to run the interactive whiteboard samsung provides. Our goal is to be TOTALLY wireless this next school year. And the school district I work in is an APPLE district they ONLY offer the iPad for school purchases, so I know the feeling even our district CIO was like WTF are you doing. When we gave him a galaxy note 10.1 he quickly shut up and was like OH WOW this thing is powerfull :) we are actually working on a deal with Samsung to replace or drop the price for the 2014 edition and we trade in the 2012 edition..... so far things are looking very good. I am actually traveling to the US HQ in New Jersey this summer to get some certified training and higher level talks about support. PM me if you have any questions that way we aren't taking up to many resources on the actual forum.

redsurfbus

Jan 26, 2014
Thanks for the input Mike. We are the worlds first 1:1 chromebook school, like yourselves the students take these home. I think they are too fragile but they are changing the way the students learn although not too many teachers are yet fully realising the resources available. I teach 11-18, mainly focussed at 15/16 year olds taking their GCSE in the UK.

I think the discussion should be public on the forum so others can join in.

How are the devices linked to the promethean boards? Mine is a cambridge/starboard. I tried to use Teamviewer but the transfer of data would turn a circle drawn on the tablet into a polygon on the board. Also the input on the note would only input to the cursor position on the software on the pc (hope you understand what I mean).

I did not try with the allshare cast fully, it was a demo from Samsung where I had about a week to try it, with a full teaching timetable and mock exams to mark I didnt make the most of it, but I did go out shortly after Christmas to buy this note as I much preferred it to an ipad - this is my own and not the schools though.

Is there software for the note that we can use through the allshare or are apps like ezpdf / snote / lecture notes suitable?

Ultimately I dont think the hardware is a concern, whether it is a chromebook or a note (the note is the better option) or an ipad. It is the use of the resources. Recently I have forced myself to start with cloud computing a lot more and where I used to think it was a step backwards using google sheets I now realise its a leap forward when you bring scripts into the mix, especially with forms for collecting results and setting questions.

I can see a massive market in apps for education, very simple topic based apps for revision, if any devs are interested I have the maths expertise and pedagogy but no time to develop at the moment......

It would be nice to see Samsung produce a full educational tool (discounted, or perhaps marketed with select advertising), not a mass market tablet/chromebook etc. Whichever company manages this first will take over the market I think.

Reactions: searchtheskies

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013

When I set a lesson up it is aimed at the level of the class, which is generally more specific than a topic in a text book. I know what the students (majority!) are missing in terms of skills for a particular topic, and where I want to get them. This is often different to what is written in the text book. Text books do not cover misconceptions very well, I like to set certain questions up knowing exactly the wrong answers that will be given, purposely setting traps in a way.

So I set up my lesson using the 'interactive' books and other resources I have designed myself. Specifically cutting and pasting what I want, and shifting round into an order that I want. This then is exported from the interactive whiteboard software to pdf, then uploaded into the class shared google drive folder. Ultimately I want to start the class off at the front, some will race away and be pages ahead of others, some will be slower than the majority so both of these groups have their chromebooks to follow the lesson at their pace. The majority follows me at, or rather I judge the pace of the majority and work to it so perhaps I follow them,

The note comes into play when I am moving around the room, I can demo misconceptions as they crop up, show worked examples and get students to write these up on the board without getting out of their seats. One thing that I do miss is the equation editing function in Snote, this would have been perfect for the higher grades to see equations balancing and to play with themselves. I can of course still use my phone to do this as well, but the students tell me off for getting my phone out as they are not allowed......I tell them its not a phone, its a tablerone.....or a phablet.....you choose ;)

What is the whiteboard app you use? I am going to be teaching english in china next year and think I could use the note as a great teaching tool.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

redsurfbus

Jan 26, 2014
What is the whiteboard app you use? I am going to be teaching english in china next year and think I could use the note as a great teaching tool.

You can use whatever you need. Snote, lecture notes etc.
I tend to import my older smartboard docs to PDF, then use these to write over.

The key to all of this is google drive, using the forms, and sheets on here.
Have a look at the forms on google drive, you can set up question sheets with ease, self marking or multiple choice, all answers go straight into a spreadsheet for data. As a teacher in the UK I spend more time inputting data now than I do planning lessons (which is wrong!!!), google forms allows me to plan the lesson and get the data automatically. Designing the form is part of lesson planning. Once done of course they are reusable unlike photocopied worksheets.

All of this requires students to have access to a device, many school now allow a 'bring you own device' concept so a lot can access this stuff on their smartphones. The school I work at (http://www.ipaca.uk.com/) has 1:1 chromebooks that the students take home.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
You can use whatever you need. Snote, lecture notes etc.
I tend to import my older smartboard docs to PDF, then use these to write over.

The key to all of this is google drive, using the forms, and sheets on here.
Have a look at the forms on google drive, you can set up question sheets with ease, self marking or multiple choice, all answers go straight into a spreadsheet for data. As a teacher in the UK I spend more time inputting data now than I do planning lessons (which is wrong!!!), google forms allows me to plan the lesson and get the data automatically. Designing the form is part of lesson planning. Once done of course they are reusable unlike photocopied worksheets.

All of this requires students to have access to a device, many school now allow a 'bring you own device' concept so a lot can access this stuff on their smartphones. The school I work at (http://www.ipaca.uk.com/) has 1:1 chromebooks that the students take home.

Hmmm thats pretty cool. I've been contemplating methods for teaching while over there. They put a huge emphasis on the rules of the language. Grammatically I doubt I can keep up with some of them. Where they tend to fall short is the actual conversational application of the language. Took 4 months to teach a foreign girl the concept of sarcasm. I was thinking that writing semtences on the fly that they could read off of a board and guiding them through the nuances of the language would be more help than yet another class teaching just the rules.

redsurfbus

Jan 26, 2014
Hmmm thats pretty cool. I've been contemplating methods for teaching while over there. They put a huge emphasis on the rules of the language. Grammatically I doubt I can keep up with some of them. Where they tend to fall short is the actual conversational application of the language. Took 4 months to teach a foreign girl the concept of sarcasm. I was thinking that writing semtences on the fly that they could read off of a board and guiding them through the nuances of the language would be more help than yet another class teaching just the rules.

Haha, it has taken me so far 7 years to get my GF who is Polish to understand sarcasm. It is a nuance that is lost on many, and offensive to others yet often the sharpest form of wit ;)

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Haha, it has taken me so far 7 years to get my GF who is Polish to understand sarcasm. It is a nuance that is lost on many, and offensive to others yet often the sharpest form of wit ;)

I think that english humor is severely lost on most other people. But, it's beneficial for someone looking to operate in an international business environment, hence china's huge import of native enlglish teachers. What really amazes me is that these schools don't require you to speak any chinese!!

mikejones13

Sep 21, 2008
Hidden somewhere in the USA
Thanks for the input Mike. We are the worlds first 1:1 chromebook school, like yourselves the students take these home. I think they are too fragile but they are changing the way the students learn although not too many teachers are yet fully realising the resources available. I teach 11-18, mainly focussed at 15/16 year olds taking their GCSE in the UK.

How are the devices linked to the promethean boards? Mine is a cambridge/starboard. I tried to use Teamviewer but the transfer of data would turn a circle drawn on the tablet into a polygon on the board. Also the input on the note would only input to the cursor position on the software on the pc (hope you understand what I mean). As far as connecting goes...here you go. We use Basic VGA Projectors, we can go fancy, but it is just way to expensive to replace every VGA projector in our building with a HDMI projector. We basically have an Allshare Cast Dongle connected to ATV PRO http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-ATVPRO-AirPlay-Mirroring-Projector/dp/B0082AFROO which is connected to the VGA. And because HDMI is an All in one Sound/Video. The ATV PRO has an Audio out plug that we connect the Promethean speakers to. With the allshare cast dongle we are able to manually show student tablets on the screen. I found http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...iver/7511057.p?id=1218851304131&skuId=7511057 a RocketFish Miracast that is suppose to mirror the WHOLE device like the allshare cast does, but finding one here local is HARD! The RocketFish is half the price of the Samsung Allshare Cast and does everything the Samsung one does. But the price is $100 to outfit our classrooms with an allshare cast and ATV pro, compared to $1000+ for projector upgrades per classroom and $70 per room for the allshare cast

I did not try with the allshare cast fully, it was a demo from Samsung where I had about a week to try it, with a full teaching timetable and mock exams to mark I didnt make the most of it, but I did go out shortly after Christmas to buy this note as I much preferred it to an ipad - this is my own and not the schools though. Most school districts at least here in the States will reimburse you for a "school" purchase, see if yours will do that and then you can go out and buy one.

Is there software for the note that we can use through the allshare or are apps like ezpdf / snote / lecture notes suitable? The Allshare Cast Dongle will totally mirror your device. If you are playing a game or watching a movie........ EVERYTHING you do on your tablet is mirrored to your screen including taking pictures or videos. All apps work with the allshare cast.

Ultimately I dont think the hardware is a concern, whether it is a chromebook or a note (the note is the better option) or an ipad. It is the use of the resources. Recently I have forced myself to start with cloud computing a lot more and where I used to think it was a step backwards using google sheets I now realise its a leap forward when you bring scripts into the mix, especially with forms for collecting results and setting questions.Yes this is true. Our school district is a GOOGLE APPS District and the push for Google APPS this year is amazing. I also thought it was a step backwards, but it saves SO many resources..... less printing, lost papers, forgot homework at home. Those are no longer excuses the students make.

I can see a massive market in apps for education, very simple topic based apps for revision, if any devs are interested I have the maths expertise and pedagogy but no time to develop at the moment......Very True! According to Samsung and Google the Google for Education Play store was suppose to be open to ALL samsung devices by the end of Feb.....well it is here now and there is no sign of this Education Store. So if you are using anything android a VPP program is not available right now or even the near future. Apple was smart about getting their edu store up and running with VPP (Volume Purchasing Program)

It would be nice to see Samsung produce a full educational tool (discounted, or perhaps marketed with select advertising), not a mass market tablet/chromebook etc. Whichever company manages this first will take over the market I think. I actually had a dinner meeting with National Director Enterprise Sales for Samsung last week. And that was one of the discussion points. The WHOLE education market needs a makeover with Samsung, they have beautiful devices, cutting edge tech, but when you pump out 125 products in 1 fiscal year..... how do you market it? How do you even support that!

Belligerance

May 12, 2007
Shantou
Canadian in China

I think that english humor is severely lost on most other people. But, it's beneficial for someone looking to operate in an international business environment, hence china's huge import of native enlglish teachers. What really amazes me is that these schools don't require you to speak any Chinese

A own an English school in China and though I can speak some Chinese, in class, I only speak English. It forces the student to think and process the language differently rather than relying on translation. Naturally, it means that teachers really need to think outside the box when trying to explain new language points or concepts but I have found that in the long run, the students ability to use and comprehend the language is much better. That said, each student has their own way to learn and process language, so this method doesn't work for everyone (though in my 12 years in China, most do well after an initial adjustment period).

Using the N10. 1 in the class would be awesome....my mind is full of new ideas....thanks too all in this thread for the inspiration. :good:

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
A own an English school in China and though I can speak some Chinese, in class, I only speak English. It forces the student to think and process the language differently rather than relying on translation. Naturally, it means that teachers really need to think outside the box when trying to explain new language points or concepts but I have found that in the long run, the students ability to use and comprehend the language is much better. That said, each student has their own way to learn and process language, so this method doesn't work for everyone (though in my 12 years in China, most do well after an initial adjustment period).

Using the N10. 1 in the class would be awesome....my mind is full of new ideas....thanks too all in this thread for the inspiration. :good:

Aah Can't wait to get out there myself. I'm going to work for a stunt company but after that ends trading to stay there awhile

my SM-P900 using XDA Premium HD app is awesome !

gcrutchr

Jun 11, 2009
Bangkok
I teach English, IELTS and SAT at a school Bangkok, Thailand. All we have is wifi and overhead projectors connected to PCs. I have a Note 10.1 2014 which I use with MirrorOp Pro for Galaxy to mirror my tablet screen on the overhead projector through a PC. Works great. The sender software is $10 on Google Play and the receiver software (for PC) is free. This is a great way to do presentations while walking around the room monitoring students.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I have started using a note 10.1 as a teaching aid, although I dont think I have been doing it the right way round.
    I was using it to control my desktop so I could move slides on the interactive whiteboard, this became tedious as it was too slow and just a glorified mousepad.

In the new term I want to pair it up with a allshare cast hub, after using it at home a lot most of the tool I have on the whiteboard are already on the note, but better on the note. My intention is to sit with the students rather than stand at the front, I do this for most of the lesson anyway.

Recently I went on the Google Certified Teacher course and it has changed my teaching a fair bit, I use Google drive to upload all my lessons and the students can move at their own pace as they ALL have chromebooks (apart from the ones who have used said chromebooks to hit others round the head with on the bus on the way home.....they are still waiting for screen repairs).

My question is does anyone else do this? I did notice a couple of people post in other threads that they use them for teaching. I think this really is the way forward in the classroom. Most of the other teachers think I am mad for refusing an ipad - most also dont know much about using technology and wouldnt know an apk from an xls. I teach maths, any advice or discussion on how we can use these really well in the classroom would be great.

Thanks BTW for all the great info on here, I may even root my note 2 soon as its now out of warranty, I have no intention of replacing this though as think its pretty much the pinnacle of phones in their current design, maybe the note 4 will tempt me but doubt it. I have used this type of kit since the psion, then the XDA (htc) with win mobile, then the dark side for a short interlude, so glad I have control of my tech again :good:

How are the devices linked to the promethean boards? Mine is a cambridge/starboard. I tried to use Teamviewer but the transfer of data would turn a circle drawn on the tablet into a polygon on the board. Also the input on the note would only input to the cursor position on the software on the pc (hope you understand what I mean).

I did not try with the allshare cast fully, it was a demo from Samsung where I had about a week to try it, with a full teaching timetable and mock exams to mark I didnt make the most of it, but I did go out shortly after Christmas to buy this note as I much preferred it to an ipad - this is my own and not the schools though.

Is there software for the note that we can use through the allshare or are apps like ezpdf / snote / lecture notes suitable?

Ultimately I dont think the hardware is a concern, whether it is a chromebook or a note (the note is the better option) or an ipad. It is the use of the resources. Recently I have forced myself to start with cloud computing a lot more and where I used to think it was a step backwards using google sheets I now realise its a leap forward when you bring scripts into the mix, especially with forms for collecting results and setting questions.

I can see a massive market in apps for education, very simple topic based apps for revision, if any devs are interested I have the maths expertise and pedagogy but no time to develop at the moment......

It would be nice to see Samsung produce a full educational tool (discounted, or perhaps marketed with select advertising), not a mass market tablet/chromebook etc. Whichever company manages this first will take over the market I think.