Tutorial: How to upgrade Huawei Ascend from Android 2.1 OS to 2.3

Search This thread

AndroJordan

Jun 8, 2011
Irving
Tutorial:
How to get Android 2.3 Operating System(OS) on your Huawei Ascend (For Newbies)

Android 2.3
Z4Root
Google Apps
Metro Backup

Ok, to start things off, You need to move all of the files that you downloaded to your phone’s SD Card, you will also need a Application Installer, You can download one from the android marketplace for free, there’s tons of them. “AppInstaller” is the one that I personally use.

1)First you must root the phone by installing the Z4Root file. Open your application installer and find Z4Root where ever you placed it onto your SD Card, install the Z4Root. The phone will restart on its own. The phone is now rooted.

2)Next you need to download clockwork recovery from the android marketplace. There is a Free version and a Paid version. The free version works just fine :D. After downloading the app, open it and under the 2nd tab of the app choose the reboot into recovery option.

3)The phone will restart itself and a black screen with blue/green text will appear, it is recommended to create a backup before installing anything new. Next, Choose the “wipe data/factory reset” option and click yes. Then choose the “wipe cache partition” option and click yes again. Lastly, click the “advanced” option then scroll down to “wipe Dalvik Cache” and choose yes again.

4)Once you have wiped the three files, choose the “Install From Zip” option, then the “choose Zip from SD Card” option. (You should have the Android 2.3, gapps and Metro backup Files on your zip already, If not, put the two files onto your SD card then repeat the last step). Then scroll down to the “Cm7-Ascend-05142011” option, the new operating system will now be installed onto your phone.

5)After that, choose the “MetrOFF.v1.1-MMS-[GB]-[CM_AOSP]” option. This fixes a bug that caused users to not send multimedia messages properly.

6)Now choose the “gapps-gb-20110307-signed-1.zip”, this installs all of the google apps onto your phone

6)After installing the Gapps file, choose the “reboot system now” option. Your phone now has Android 2.3 Operating system!

7) Yay! :)

Reactions: superkaz

samsimon

Nov 7, 2011
Hello

If I got OS 2.2 already on my huawei, have I go through the same steps as update from 2.1 ?
There is no Z4Root file on android market.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Do I need to install superuser? Can you tell me for what is it for?
After update to 2.3 OS there is no problem with taking pictures(camera) and mms?
Is there any way to come back to 2.2 OS if I won't like 2.3 ?

wtfdissux

Nov 15, 2011
what would the benefit be of going from 2.2 up to 2.3 since the major benefits hit at the 2.2 mark in my opinion any ways

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
clockwork recovery is not in market is there another program or someplace else to find it

Handy Ascend Download Links

would i still be able to send mms (text messages), and recieve service?

Yes, if you're on Cricket. If you're on Metro, you need to flash the metroff mms fix zip with CWM.

Do you or any one have the links to the same as above but for a Cricket Huawei Ascend?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Handy Ascend Download Links

If I got OS 2.2 already on my huawei, have I go through the same steps as update from 2.1 ?
There is no Z4Root file on android market.

The same, but use Gingerbreak to root instead.

Do I need to install superuser? Can you tell me for what is it for?

Superuser keeps track of and grants permissions to apps to root access. When you use Z4Root or Gingerbreak, it is installed automatically. And yes, you need it.

After update to 2.3 OS there is no problem with taking pictures(camera) and mms?

The only problems are that with Metro you need the metroff fix flashed, and you can't use the camera with apps. For instance, you can't use a barcode or QR code scanner. If you need a QR scanner, you have to take a pic of the QR code first with just your camera, then open something like QR Droid, and read the code from the pic you took.

Is there any way to come back to 2.2 OS if I won't like 2.3 ?

Sure. Just look at this thread. You'll have to flash back to 2.1, then get the OTA update to 2.2.

what would the benefit be of going from 2.2 up to 2.3 since the major benefits hit at the 2.2 mark in my opinion any ways

PlayfulGod has really maximized what the Ascend is capable of. I haven't heard anyone saying that his CM7 ROMs aren't faster and better. His latest overclock to 710 and 748, depending on if you have a lazy Ascend or not, and have a2sd integrated into the ROM. It's faster, beefier, and just plain better. IMO anyway.

Last edited:

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
Tutorial:

Android 2.3
Z4Root
Google Apps
Metro Backup

Ok, to start things off, You need to move all of the files that you downloaded to your phone’s SD Card, you will also need a Application Installer, You can download one from the android marketplace for free, there’s tons of them. “AppInstaller” is the one that I personally use.

1)First you must root the phone by installing the Z4Root file. Open your application installer and find Z4Root where ever you placed it onto your SD Card, install the Z4Root. The phone will restart on its own. The phone is now rooted.

2)Next you need to download clockwork recovery from the android marketplace. There is a Free version and a Paid version. The free version works just fine :D. After downloading the app, open it and under the 2nd tab of the app choose the reboot into recovery option.

3)The phone will restart itself and a black screen with blue/green text will appear, it is recommended to create a backup before installing anything new. Next, Choose the “wipe data/factory reset” option and click yes. Then choose the “wipe cache partition” option and click yes again. Lastly, click the “advanced” option then scroll down to “wipe Dalvik Cache” and choose yes again.

4)Once you have wiped the three files, choose the “Install From Zip” option, then the “choose Zip from SD Card” option. (You should have the Android 2.3, gapps and Metro backup Files on your zip already, If not, put the two files onto your SD card then repeat the last step). Then scroll down to the “Cm7-Ascend-05142011” option, the new operating system will now be installed onto your phone.

5)After that, choose the “MetrOFF.v1.1-MMS-[GB]-[CM_AOSP]” option. This fixes a bug that caused users to not send multimedia messages properly.

6)Now choose the “gapps-gb-20110307-signed-1.zip”, this installs all of the google apps onto your phone

6)After installing the Gapps file, choose the “reboot system now” option. Your phone now has Android 2.3 Operating system!

Update this method by using the latest CM7 and gapps 20110613 found in Prepaid Android Wiki. Just know that if you try to flash the ROM with the 748 OC kernel, and your phone won't boot after a couple attempts, you probably have a lazy Ascend and need to flash the ROM with the 710 OC kernel.
If you're on 2.2, it will still work, except root with Gingerbreak instead of Z4Root.

Last edited:

Spikebob21

Nov 28, 2011
i did all the steps but when i go to install from zip thru the recovery screen it says its unpacking then failed and gets aborted.. Any help?

experymental

Dec 6, 2011
dayton
No rom manager

I have the Huawei Ascend and have been trying to get rom manager but t is now only for 2.2 and up I have 2.1 Please can anyone help out. And just so you know...I tried to load CWM recovery on boot up but it doesn't work. Debugging alow user all that stuff was done. I have been working on this for days now. Everytime I try and boot up CWM it fails...I updated drivers for my phone and all but when it turns on in boot mode it only shows the android 2A boot sceen with 4 options...reboot...load SD card (does absolutely nothing) wipe data and lastly wipe cashe. Long story short rom manager is for 2.2 and up but there are people out there posting 2.1 to 2.3 upgrade soo???? Is it possible? Thanks

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
Give me an hour and I'll show you how to do what you want to, on the road atm.

Sent from one pimped out DroidX2

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

i did all the steps but when i go to install from zip thru the recovery screen it says its unpacking then failed and gets aborted.. Any help?

You're holding volume up and end call (the rightmost one) instead of volume up and send (leftmost one).

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

I have the Huawei Ascend and have been trying to get rom manager but t is now only for 2.2 and up I have 2.1 Please can anyone help out. And just so you know...I tried to load CWM recovery on boot up but it doesn't work. Debugging alow user all that stuff was done. I have been working on this for days now. Everytime I try and boot up CWM it fails...I updated drivers for my phone and all but when it turns on in boot mode it only shows the android 2A boot sceen with 4 options...reboot...load SD card (does absolutely nothing) wipe data and lastly wipe cashe. Long story short rom manager is for 2.2 and up but there are people out there posting 2.1 to 2.3 upgrade soo???? Is it possible? Thanks

To install CWM:

First, make sure Unknown Sources and USB Debugging are both checked.

Make sure you have the Ascend drivers installed.

Then, if you haven't rooted your phone, do a permanent root with Z4Root. If you're going to flash CM7 (Android 2.3.4) grab the CM7 and gapps zip files from Prepaid Android Wiki and put them on your sdcard now.

Plug your phone into your computer via USB.

Then grab Clockwork Mod 3.0.2.8, unzip it, open the folder, and run these files (make sure you use the versions for the OS your computer is running, Windows for instance)
adb
fastboot
install recovery

Unplug the phone, pull the battery for several seconds, put it back in.

Hold volume up and send button (leftmost button along bottom) and hit the power button. Don't let go of the buttons until you see recovery.

To flash CM7:

Make sure to BACKUP APPS AND CONTACTS!

Grab the latest version from Prepaid Wiki along with the gapps zip there

Copy both zips to your sdcard (don't unzip them!)

Boot into Clockwork Mod

Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
go into advanced
Wipe dalvik cache
back out to main menu
go into mounts and storage
Format boot
Format system
Format data
Format cache
back out to main menu
Install zip from sdcard
Choose zip from sdcard
select CM7 zip
select gapps zip
back out to main menu
Advanced
Fix permissions
back out to main menu
Reboot system now.

Wait for a little bit. If it gets stuck at the boot screen for more than ten minutes, and you tried the 748 OC kernel, try it all over again with the 710 OC kernel.

Last edited:

xxjabberwockxx

Dec 17, 2007
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
go into advanced
Wipe dalvik cache
back out to main menu
go into mounts and storage
Format boot
Format system
Format data
Format cache
back out to main menu
Install zip from sdcard
Choose zip from sdcard
select CM7 zip
select gapps zip
back out to main menu
Advanced
Fix permissions
back out to main menu
Reboot system now.

Wait for a little bit. If it gets stuck at the boot screen for more than ten minutes, and you tried the 748 OC kernel, try it all over again with the 710 OC kernel.

I'm hoping I'm just missing something. I tried these steps earlier but no matter which CM7 ZIP I tried, i get stuck at the "Ascend" screen during boot. I have CWM 3.0.2.8, tried the following MODs:
PlayfulGod CM7.2-Ascend (09122011) (748 OverClock defaulted to 710)
PlayfulGod CM7.2-Ascend (09132011) (710 OverClock defaulted to 710)
PlayfulGod CM7.2-Ascend (09132011) (710 OverClock defaulted to 600)

Always seem to get stuck on the Ascend screen. I'm rooted. Originally had 2.2, rooted via Gingerbreak and when I couldn't get it going, I tried going to Metro PCS stock 2.1, used Z4 to root, then tried the exact steps above, even the extra formats and the permissions fix at the end. Waited 15 mins during each boot and it's stuck on the Ascend screen (before the CM7 boot screen).

Any ideas?

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
Odd that you keep getting stuck at boot, maybe you have a super-lazy Ascend that doesn't like the kernels. When it's stuck at the screen like that, I could sneak into a too-high-for-my-phone kernel by tapping or holding rhe power button when it seemed stuck.
Personally, I would run this by the guys at androidforums.com. They're still fresh in this phone, and it's probably something obvious that I'm not seeing.

Reactions: xxjabberwockxx

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
Another thought. When I was flashing my Ascend all the time, there were lots of times I had to reflash with fresh downloads multiple times. I remember at least twice I it took 4 flashes to take. Granted, those were early versions of CM7, but I never called it unsuccessful until I tried to flash a ROM 3 or 4 times.

Reactions: xxjabberwockxx

xxjabberwockxx

Dec 17, 2007
Thanks Scur. I posted on AndroidForums.com. I tried Bobz's last build and that loaded. Maybe it's just PlayfulGod's mods. I'll do it a few more times and see, but at least I know I have one build that works. Thanks again!

JonJon927

Dec 18, 2011
Yeah, so I did litterally EVERYTHING this wanted me to do, and in the end I got black screen with blue letters. I only had 4 options:
Reboot now
Upgrade SD
Wipe factory
Wipe cache
Someone please help? I have the CM7 downloaded into my SD card i think, just someone please try to help.

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
Yeah, so I did litterally EVERYTHING this wanted me to do, and in the end I got black screen with blue letters. I only had 4 options:
Reboot now
Upgrade SD
Wipe factory
Wipe cache
Someone please help? I have the CM7 downloaded into my SD card i think, just someone please try to help.

That's the factory stock recovery. You didn't install ClockworkMod recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tutorial:

Android 2.3
    Z4Root
    Google Apps
    Metro Backup

Odd that you keep getting stuck at boot, maybe you have a super-lazy Ascend that doesn't like the kernels. When it's stuck at the screen like that, I could sneak into a too-high-for-my-phone kernel by tapping or holding rhe power button when it seemed stuck.
    Personally, I would run this by the guys at androidforums.com. They're still fresh in this phone, and it's probably something obvious that I'm not seeing.

Another thought. When I was flashing my Ascend all the time, there were lots of times I had to reflash with fresh downloads multiple times. I remember at least twice I it took 4 flashes to take. Granted, those were early versions of CM7, but I never called it unsuccessful until I tried to flash a ROM 3 or 4 times.