[GT-I9195] Basic CyanogenMod questions

Search This thread

Marshian

Jan 2, 2013
Dear person reading this,

I've recently received an S4 mini, specifically the I9195 and I immediately got annoyed by the stock firmware. The sounds, the look, you probably know it. Since I've been using CM11 on my I9001 for a nice while I was wondering what the status of CM11 on this phone is like?
On the CM website I've seen there are no stable releases yet, so are the nightlies useable on a day-to-day basis? In other words, would you recommend flashing CM11? Are there any features which won't work?

As for the process of flashing itself, I've found this thread which seems to provide a nice overview, so I'm guessing that shouldn't pose any problems.

My apologies if this thread is a bit noobish, I've been reading around a bit but couldn't really find a nice up-to-date overview :)

Thanks and regards,
Marshian

rogier666

Jan 27, 2011
androidblog.site666.info
If you use your S4 mini for anything serious, CM11 is still way too full of bugs. That's gonna change sooner or later, but for now I'd let CM11 wait unless you just use your S4 mini as a toy.
Check the opening post of this thread for a (long) list of bugs in S4 CM11: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2558702

Until CM11 is done squashing bugs, the best ROM for S4 mini is a rooted stock ROM, debloated by freezing/removing all the junk that Samsung slapped on, and modded with Xposed.

For a list of what you can freeze/remove (with an explanation of what you freeze/remove): http://android.site666.info/indexapks.htm

Essential (imo) Xposed modules for S4: Downloads2SD, Pictures2SD, Wanam Xposed, XPrivacy, and XVolume.
If you have a KitKat (stock) ROM you'll need HandleExternalStorage too.

Essential app to get rid of annoying sounds: Ultimate Sound Control.

Whosat

May 9, 2013
I'm using CM11 on my GT-I9195 and its the only phone I have. The bugs don't hinder everyday use (WhatsApp, chrome, phone calls, SMS) generally except for the odd nightly that causes bootloops or FCs. You can avoid that by waiting for someone to post in the discussion thread whether the latest nightly is bootable or causes any FCs.

As for flashing CM11, the guide you linked is good if you don't care for the warranty. Since you bought your phone recently its likely to have the KNOX flag which signifies whether the phone has been custom-flashed before and I'm most countries this KNOX flag, if tripped, will render your warranty void.

To check if you are on KNOX boot loader, boot into Download mode and see if there is any mention of KNOX.

If there is, there is a guide on how to not trip the KNOX flag while rooting.

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
IMHO any of KitKat's custom ROM is not mature enough. Still many things to implement for the developers, regardless of being stable or not. Though if better OS resource management is what you after than KitKat is unbeatable. After all, it was Google's intention.

However, any of the JB custom ROM variant are relatively stable and mature, despite some still has the 'beta' tag.

As for TouchWiz ROM, there's a limit to what you can do in terms of optimizing/de-bloat. Unless it a heavily modded TW based ROM. That my experience coming from S3.

Reactions: Marshian

Marshian

Jan 2, 2013
IMHO any of KitKat's custom ROM is not mature enough. Still many things to implement for the developers, regardless of being stable or not. Though if better OS resource management is what you after than KitKat is unbeatable. After all, it was Google's intention.

However, any of the JB custom ROM variant are relatively stable and mature, despite some still has the 'beta' tag.

As for TouchWiz ROM, there's a limit to what you can do in terms of optimizing/de-bloat. Unless it a heavily modded TW based ROM. That my experience coming from S3.

Thanks for your input! (This also applies to everyone else who replied ;))

In terms of warranty, I don't have any anyway. Though it's a brand new phone, I got it as a prize from a competition so there's no way for me to go back to the store and prove I bought it there. Therefore, I don't mind triggering the KNOX-flag.

For now I'll stay away from CM11 then (though it runs really nicely on my S+), but would it be a better idea to mod the stock ROM until it stops sucking or flash CM10.2 (or another version?) on there? It looks like the bug-list for CM10.2 is quite small. Do you know of any features missing there?

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014

In terms of warranty, I don't have any anyway. Though it's a brand new phone, I got it as a prize from a competition so there's no way for me to go back to the store and prove I bought it there. Therefore, I don't mind triggering the KNOX-flag.

For now I'll stay away from CM11 then (though it runs really nicely on my S+), but would it be a better idea to mod the stock ROM until it stops sucking or flash CM10.2 (or another version?) on there? It looks like the bug-list for CM10.2 is quite small. Do you know of any features missing there?

I would recommend any custom ROM based on JB. There's no feature missing as I'm aware of. Personally I'm on SlimJB which I've modified a bit myself. KitKat simplay requires time to mature. Even at AOSP the swtich from davilk requires time. Just my two cents.

MarkAndroid.UK

For now I'll stay away from CM11 then (though it runs really nicely on my S+), but would it be a better idea to mod the stock ROM until it stops sucking or flash CM10.2 (or another version?) on there?

I am very happy sticking with the last stable 10.2. It is reliable, quick, and battery drain is minimal (I use Gravity Screen Pro but the main power savings come from using Cyanogens advanced wifi settings).

You can always backup everything and try out a CM11.

Marshian

Jan 2, 2013
I am very happy sticking with the last stable 10.2. It is reliable, quick, and battery drain is minimal (I use Gravity Screen Pro but the main power savings come from using Cyanogens advanced wifi settings).

I'll be going with the same solution once my microSIM and new microSD arrive, thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you use your S4 mini for anything serious, CM11 is still way too full of bugs. That's gonna change sooner or later, but for now I'd let CM11 wait unless you just use your S4 mini as a toy.
    Check the opening post of this thread for a (long) list of bugs in S4 CM11: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2558702

Until CM11 is done squashing bugs, the best ROM for S4 mini is a rooted stock ROM, debloated by freezing/removing all the junk that Samsung slapped on, and modded with Xposed.

For a list of what you can freeze/remove (with an explanation of what you freeze/remove): http://android.site666.info/indexapks.htm

Essential (imo) Xposed modules for S4: Downloads2SD, Pictures2SD, Wanam Xposed, XPrivacy, and XVolume.
    If you have a KitKat (stock) ROM you'll need HandleExternalStorage too.

Essential app to get rid of annoying sounds: Ultimate Sound Control.
    I'm using CM11 on my GT-I9195 and its the only phone I have. The bugs don't hinder everyday use (WhatsApp, chrome, phone calls, SMS) generally except for the odd nightly that causes bootloops or FCs. You can avoid that by waiting for someone to post in the discussion thread whether the latest nightly is bootable or causes any FCs.

As for flashing CM11, the guide you linked is good if you don't care for the warranty. Since you bought your phone recently its likely to have the KNOX flag which signifies whether the phone has been custom-flashed before and I'm most countries this KNOX flag, if tripped, will render your warranty void.

To check if you are on KNOX boot loader, boot into Download mode and see if there is any mention of KNOX.

If there is, there is a guide on how to not trip the KNOX flag while rooting.

I would recommend any custom ROM based on JB. There's no feature missing as I'm aware of. Personally I'm on SlimJB which I've modified a bit myself. KitKat simplay requires time to mature. Even at AOSP the swtich from davilk requires time. Just my two cents.
    For now I'll stay away from CM11 then (though it runs really nicely on my S+), but would it be a better idea to mod the stock ROM until it stops sucking or flash CM10.2 (or another version?) on there?