Modding the Uselss Dock into the Ultimate Media Dock!

Search This thread

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm thinking i might have some Serial data issues but I'll have to hook up a scope to my first build and see. If i do I will just have a some line drivers in there and that should clear up most of those issues. I think the on the other side of the connector on the GTAB there are some line drivers/buffers so I might be OK. I will try and build a board tonight and get a bill of materials written up and try this thing out.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

I did not expect to run into the situation of not being able to find the female gtab connector. I might either change the design to two USB ports, one male and one female or I might just buy a desktop dock and create a board of the same size and install it in there.....

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
I love that there is discussion about this. If you guys end up being successful with this I would definitely pay to get one.

Id love to see a (micro) sd slot as well as the other slots previously mentioned but maybe I am getting a bit greedy.

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I love that there is discussion about this. If you guys end up being successful with this I would definitely pay to get one.

Id love to see a (micro) sd slot as well as the other slots previously mentioned but maybe I am getting a bit greedy.

That might be possible... I dunno about that one. I think after I get the non powered USB hard drive as well as the Host + Charging working i'm going to try and get HDMI to work as well. Then i'm going to have to buy a Gtab 7inch dock... UGH.. :p

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
That might be possible... I dunno about that one. I think after I get the non powered USB hard drive as well as the Host + Charging working i'm going to try and get HDMI to work as well. Then i'm going to have to buy a Gtab 7inch dock... UGH.. :p

mine gets delivered tomorrow, i will try and find the link but I got it for like $18 + free shipping. Getting HDMI working is going to be next to impossible though. The tab outputs in MDL or MHL or something like that, and you need a decoder chip that will make that into regular HDMI, hence their stupid accessory. IF someone wanted to bust open that little guy, we could try and locate the chip they use. Its the same thing they use for a lot of their devices.

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
mine gets delivered tomorrow, i will try and find the link but I got it for like $18 + free shipping. Getting HDMI working is going to be next to impossible though. The tab outputs in MDL or MHL or something like that, and you need a decoder chip that will make that into regular HDMI, hence their stupid accessory. IF someone wanted to bust open that little guy, we could try and locate the chip they use. Its the same thing they use for a lot of their devices.

That shouldn't be a big deal assuming the chip isn't super expensive. I would think I could bust open the 7inch dock and see what part they use or use a different device. I'm sure the one they use isn't the only game in town..

This is the circuit I have for the switching of the 5V in and out. Don't pay too much attention to the resistor values since they haven't been fine tuned yet. Tell me what you guys think..

untitled.png

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
That shouldn't be a big deal assuming the chip isn't super expensive. I would think I could bust open the 7inch dock and see what part they use or use a different device. I'm sure the one they use isn't the only game in town..

This is the circuit I have for the switching of the 5V in and out. Don't pay too much attention to the resistor values since they haven't been fine tuned yet. Tell me what you guys think..

untitled.png

Looks great, post your your board layout when you are done and I will take a look at that as well, but I think it should work. As far as the decode chip, I will look around for that

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I think i've decided that instead of modifying the actual desktop dock i'm going to make an adapter that can either plug into the tab by itself or to the other docks. It will also give me the ability to remove the female 30pin connector which no one sells.

What do you guys think?

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
I think i've decided that instead of modifying the actual desktop dock i'm going to make an adapter that can either plug into the tab by itself or to the other docks. It will also give me the ability to remove the female 30pin connector which no one sells.

What do you guys think?

That was what I was thinking about doing originally. You can do the pass thru for power and just use a USB micro female instead. The only thing you might want to incorporate is the data lines so that people can plug straight into this adapter from their pc so that they can do transfers and whatnot without removing the adapter and plugging the 30-pin back in

As far as MHL is concerned, the chip we want is a MHL bridge. I don't know if anyone else makes them, but here is one:

MHL Bridge

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well that might be a bit more complicated but not impossible. That would mean I couldn't strap the ID to USB host. It would have to change depending upon what device is plugged in. Not impossible... Maybe i can use some sort of a varistor setup. Let me think about that idea and see if I can come up with a way to adapt that resistance.

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
Well that might be a bit more complicated but not impossible. That would mean I couldn't strap the ID to USB host. It would have to change depending upon what device is plugged in. Not impossible... Maybe i can use some sort of a varistor setup. Let me think about that idea and see if I can come up with a way to adapt that resistance.

Are you thinking about it adapting automatically, or would a switch be the easier way to go?

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
A switch would be easier to design but more cumbersome for the user. I'm thinking of it doing it automatically.... assuming i can figure out a way.

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Why not just another port? You can put a charging port, usb host port and usb data port.

That is a good idea but i believe there are is only one serial pair for the Tab. Then you would only be able to use one at a time but I might make two ports that are different. That would help with the confusion. Maybe a USB B for syncing and USB A for USB Host. Hmmmmmm... I have to think about it a bit. I have to make this adapter as cheap as possible too so i have to be a little relaxed on the circuit components.

It sucks not being large enough to buy 10000 FETS or resistors. They are expensive when you only buy like 10 or 100. So far the parts are only 2 or 3 bucks, of course that is excluding the PWB and whatever housing i use to package this thing.

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I was looking over my schematic this afternoon with a coworker and it looks like i have my PMOSes oriented incorrectly and on top of that the ground from the wall is likely to be floating so the circuit won't work as it is now. I have to go back to the drawing board and correct it. I will update......

Still trying to figure out why my simulations worked.

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
I was looking over my schematic this afternoon with a coworker and it looks like i have my PMOSes oriented incorrectly and on top of that the ground from the wall is likely to be floating so the circuit won't work as it is now. I have to go back to the drawing board and correct it. I will update......

Still trying to figure out why my simulations worked.

Your simulations worked because you have used the same ground everywhere. If you are using the NI Circuit Designer then you definitely have the same ground. When you switch over to design your board, you will have to run a trace for the ground as well, but in the circuit design phase it lets you simulate by just putting the ground symbol there.

As far as the ports go, I was thinking the same thing. mini-USB for charging, micro-USB for data. As far as host, I'm not sure what can and can't be done at the same time.

Also, I was just looking around, and maybe the version 1 answer for HDMI is to simply map the MHL lines to another micro-USB port, and then allow the use of other cheaper usb to hdmi adapters, like the one I found for 11.99 on amazon

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Your simulations worked because you have used the same ground everywhere. If you are using the NI Circuit Designer then you definitely have the same ground. When you switch over to design your board, you will have to run a trace for the ground as well, but in the circuit design phase it lets you simulate by just putting the ground symbol there.

As far as the ports go, I was thinking the same thing. mini-USB for charging, micro-USB for data. As far as host, I'm not sure what can and can't be done at the same time.

Also, I was just looking around, and maybe the version 1 answer for HDMI is to simply map the MHL lines to another micro-USB port, and then allow the use of other cheaper usb to hdmi adapters, like the one I found for 11.99 on amazon

Oh i know why the grounding the p-channel gate worked and why it won't work in real life but it was the fact that the P-channel is backwards and the output still worked.

I think i figured it out. I think current is flowing because the voltage is biasing the body diode and the current flows enough to raise the source voltage (load voltage) enough to breach the threshold point and turn on the FET. Its all kinds of wrong with the right answer lol. It was a silly error on my part. I have another idea but its going to force me to add a third FET which I was trying to avoid.

On the connectors. I don't think the ternminals for Micro USB can carry enough current to support chargin the tab at 2A. I could be wrong. I think cellphone charges use 1A. I have to check on the specs.

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
Oh i know why the grounding the p-channel gate worked and why it won't work in real life but it was the fact that the P-channel is backwards and the output still worked.

I think i figured it out. I think current is flowing because the voltage is biasing the body diode and the current flows enough to raise the source voltage (load voltage) enough to breach the threshold point and turn on the FET. Its all kinds of wrong with the right answer lol. It was a silly error on my part. I have another idea but its going to force me to add a third FET which I was trying to avoid.

On the connectors. I don't think the ternminals for Micro USB can carry enough current to support chargin the tab at 2A. I could be wrong. I think cellphone charges use 1A. I have to check on the specs.

I was definitely going more for the idea of multiple diff ports so it would be straight forward as to which port did what, but yeah, def check it out, would hate to be responisble for burning up something because it couldn't handle the amps

Bxsteez

Jun 9, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No updates yet. I've been kinda swamped with work so I haven't had a chance to update the schematic or start on the layout. Its coming though

mailings

Aug 1, 2008

Did you made this? I'm really interested in building this as an adapter. I have a Galaxy Nexus and a TAB. With shomething like this I could use the same MHL to HDMI adapter with both devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Useless dock, inside and out........

Guys, Let's take this thing apart and make it better.....
    (will upload now - first have to reboot to get my FTP server on my laptop working.....wbrb)

Samsung has another new Media dock coming, its not like the one thats currently out which sells for $34.99

The new one is supposed to have HDMI out so you don't need the adapter to use it.

The new dock will run $50 and should be available in the fall along with the new bluetooth keyboard case and some new attachments.

This is what Engadget has to say:

Today's Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 event in NYC wasn't just about software -- okay, it was mostly about software, but the company also unveiled a slew of accessories for its slick Android tablet. High atop the list is a number of new docks for the slate, including a $50 Multimedia Dock, which props the device up in landscape mode while charging it and offering HDMI out. The $80 Ultra Productivity Tool, meanwhile, also charges the device and includes a full-sized keyboard with Android shortcut keys. The $150 Premium Protective case turns the Tab into a makeshift notebook with a full-size Bluetooth keyboard and a hinge that lets the user adjust the tab's viewing angle.

A new $40 HDTV adapter gives the tablet full 1080p HDMI output. The company also announced a $40 SD card adapter and a USB adapter for easy accessory input. For $60, Tab owners can pick up the Premium Book Cover, a high end case for the device that lets you prop it up for typing or viewing movies. And somewhere in the distance, you could hear Steve Jobs audibly shudder when the company unveiled a pen stylus for the device. The stylus has an aluminum body and a silicon tip, for when you need to give your fingertips a break. It'll run you $20, and sadly won't include meat.

Engadget sucks with pictures lately, here's a pic of the new dock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4avPDtNJ30&feature=player_embedded

New accessories galore!

Including a speaker dock!?
    OK here are some pictures. I'm sure you all know how the media dock looks, So, I'll skip that one.
    Here is a picture of the dock opened. See the huge piece of metal to add some weight not to flip over once the tab is inserted. This will probably need to be replaced with something else (lead?) if I am going to use some room of that for the FemaleUSB socket.https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/J7Inf00abt9o0Nf-Gm7gg_Ix_Iq3rFxo94LvnO8xF0c?feat=directlink

Next, a closer look at the bottom of the dock - the part we are actually more interested in, right?https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CwqnYp8FNvxAY4kue68JU_Ix_Iq3rFxo94LvnO8xF0c?feat=directlink

Now I removed the three black screws that keep the metal weight in place - not hard at all:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8O15xTNYWKv5LgWhSsAnXvIx_Iq3rFxo94LvnO8xF0c?feat=directlink
    Ah-ha - this opens up a new dimension to the project. Now we can actually see what we are dealing with.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zXx7uDAbMHMuaFHn1cJ5d_Ix_Iq3rFxo94LvnO8xF0c?feat=directlink

Look at the space at the bottom of the circuit board...hmmmm, I am sure we can fit a 1/4Watt 20k resistor in here (or more if we need to). But let me first remove that circuit board to see what's cook'n down there:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zrInv-Skb5adgNjayj0MZvIx_Iq3rFxo94LvnO8xF0c?feat=directlink

And the circuit board flipped over.....
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1LbhnrVErUO7TqINqazybvIx_Iq3rFxo94LvnO8xF0c?feat=directlink

I can't really decide what is better, to solder onto this board or to make the USB Host adapter cable directly onto the 30-pin plug. I already messed up one connector for trying to solder onto those microscopic, tiny pins (and ended up with a piece of solder INSIDE the connector). I almost think here are more work-space on the bottom of this circuit board - for a resistor - or two-
    What does the experts think ??

Look at that - my prediction was right. Look at all the space underneath the board:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tsndKQRzvPv2mOjS3dau-vIx_Iq3rFxo94LvnO8xF0c?feat=directlink

OK, so where do we go from here?

NOW I need some experts to tell me the best option to get the USB host adapter connected between the two 30-pin connectors.....

Based on what you can find in this thread that discusses the creation of a USBhost/USBpower combo from the 30pin male connector you can buy, the MHL pins, which is what transports the HDMI signals, are left unused. The HDMI adapter samsung sells has the MHL chip that decodes to HDMI. I have been unable to find a female 30pin connector, but if you had that, you could pass those pins, probably with a connection to power and ground (from the same pins that are used for USB power, through to the samsung hdmi adapter. This would give you a connector that had the ability to charge, use usbhost, and still pass through HDMI, all at the same time. If I could find that female connector, I would build that in a heartbeat.

The other option you have is to take a razor, or something equally as sharp, and start cutting traces on the board that go to the female port on the back of the useless dock. You could then install the previously mentioned host and charging ports on the dock and solder them to the cut traces inside the dock. Then you would just need the hdmi adapter outside of the dock.

I'm gonna look at your pics again, and then I'll post one other idea I have.