Bluetooth audio and Android 4.2

Search This thread

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
Updated my tablet to Android 4.2 this morning and afterward watching video with Bluetooth headphones it's skipped popped and just been generally awful. Curiously music works fine. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sark666

Dec 2, 2010
I just tried a few mp4 clips and didn't experience any skips/lag. Can't try avi right now as mx player doesn't work in 4.2 However, it seems there has been some changes to bluetooth. If you have your volume loud enough you can hear it 'stop' using the bluetooth if idle for a couple of seconds. Never heard that before. Also, a bug that really irks me is latency with bluetooth in games. Previously, games like dead trigger would seem to lag well over a second behind, almost 2 seconds. Now it's about .5 of a sec, however it's skips,scratches etc.

Other games fair better. For example, mame has about .5 of a second where it exhibited the 2 second lag previously. Not nearly as many skips as dead trigger but I heard a couple.

Btw, is android the only platform that has this issue? I read old posts of ipad's/iphones having it back in 2009 but I believe they fixed it. My friend has a playbook and it didn't support bluetooth stereo profile (ad2p) but they released an update last year and it works perfectly. I tried a few games on his device and none of them exhibited any lag, scratchiness etc. So RIM gets it right the first time and google has had this issue on all their devices for years? There's a few bugs filed on this on the official google bugs forum opened in 2009 and no response from any developer.

EDIT:

Just tried youtube with bluetooth stereo headset, audio breaking up, stops/starts. It seems to be going quiet if there is even a moment of silence in the video. God damn it, I use this all the time and now it's unusable. This was at least one thing that worked fine with bluetooth. It could be my connection right now but I highly doubt it. I'm at home and this connection is always fine, this is the first time I've experienced this. I bought this headset for gaming, videos, and voip. Voip didn't work because bluetooth mics are basically non-usable in android, gaming has lag, and now videos won't play properly. I think it has to do with using the wifi at the same time with videos as videos downloaded from youtube are fine.

Last edited:

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
Yep this mimics my issue. Streaming anything results in choppy playback over Bluetooth. This really is not acceptable to me, and its hurting my view of my nearly brand new Nexus 7. I really hope we see another OTA seeing as I can't very well turn WiFi off on a device that relies on WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

nolig2278

Mar 12, 2009
Pembroke Pines
I have the skipping too with Pandora over blue tooth, but thought it might be Wi-Fi limit since I am tethering off my rezound which is playing flawlessly over BT. It was skipping as pictures loaded in emails.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
I have the skipping too with Pandora over blue tooth, but thought it might be Wi-Fi limit since I am tethering off my rezound which is playing flawlessly over BT. It was skipping as pictures loaded in emails.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

It isn't WiFi bandwidth related as far as I can tell. I can buffer a video, play it, and still the audio flips out. This is just disappointing and sad on Google's part now. The same issue affects the Galaxy Nexus, as well. Did no one even bother to test this before it rolled out??

purudaya

Nov 14, 2012
I've been having the same problem since the 4.2 update - the bluetooth issue is definitely linked to wi-fi (no skipping on downloaded video while wi-fi off; skipping as soon as I turn it on). Online bluetooth streaming of any audio whatsoever is basically ruined.

I thought maybe changing the channel on my router would to the trick, but no dice. Google was very sympathetic over the phone but completely unhelpful - "this is the first we've heard of this."

I've only been an android user for a few months. Are they usually pretty good about addressing stuff like this?

- Nexus 7 stock.

Sep 23, 2012
Chico, CA
bluetooth now working

My bluetooth headset (Samsung) was stuttering the other day as many people are reporting. I did play around with the settings and at this point I have no idea why, but it is working fine.

I had done 2 things:

1. I unpaired every device and re-paired them
2. On the wifi advanced settings, I set it to never sleep and disabled battery optimization

Bluetooth then worked fine using Pandora and TuneIn radio. I changed the advanced setting back to optimize battery and all still works.

Now extremely happy with 4.2 but baffled as to why it now works.

sark666

Dec 2, 2010
I am going to test more but I read it from someone else and it seems to have helped me, is to disable gps. Others said it didn't work for them so maybe it depends on the bluetooth device as well. But with gps disabled youtube no longer lags/skips and stays in perfect sync, but I'm going to test more.

And with gaming, it's almost in perfect sync, however some games still skip a bit and some lag more than others (mame4droid seems to lag the most). Whereas before 4.2 all games had almost 2 seconds delay in audio.

So in some ways, bluetooth is actually better in 4.2 in that they seem to be closer in getting the lag in realtime apps (games) working. So I hope their fix is not to simply revert to 4.1.2 bluetooth.

Anyway, try disabling gps, it may work for you.

pankomputerek

Dec 3, 2010
Internet
To all those who are trying to use Wi-Fi & Bluetooth, Good luck!
They both work at 2.4ghz frequency most of the time you will only able to use one. Unless you're around 5ghz wi-fi.

I got lag and werid things when my music player (Play Music) tried to play .avi file :p

AlixW74

Nov 26, 2011
It is not BT that is broken in 4.2!!!

First of, 4.1 was working fine with my BT audio, got the OTA update and it was still working fine after first reboot... couple of days later mine started to act up...

It was almost impossible to listen to BT audio... but BT is not the problem!!!

It is either the Audio Effects service/program or Google Music... easy to test...

Connect the BT audio device, go into settings, apps, running stop the Google music service, stop the audio effects thing... BT audio does not skip at all anymore... It is as flawless as it was in 4.1... so the BT is not broken i any way... it is either the audio effects service or the Google music stuff...

I hope someone will fix it... but it is not BT that is bugged...

Reactions: mgh1982

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is not BT that is broken in 4.2!!!

First of, 4.1 was working fine with my BT audio, got the OTA update and it was still working fine after first reboot... couple of days later mine started to act up...

It was almost impossible to listen to BT audio... but BT is not the problem!!!

It is either the Audio Effects service/program or Google Music... easy to test...

Connect the BT audio device, go into settings, apps, running stop the Google music service, stop the audio effects thing... BT audio does not skip at all anymore... It is as flawless as it was in 4.1... so the BT is not broken i any way... it is either the audio effects service or the Google music stuff...

I hope someone will fix it... but it is not BT that is bugged...