Return To Stock LOCKED and S-ON

Search This thread

bmt626

Jul 23, 2009
Please note you must be bootloader unlocked and S-OFF for this to work

you are doing this at your own risk dont blame me if something goes wrong i have tested this twice one on CM and once on Stock
that being said

:D

This guide will help you return to stock un-rooted, locked, and s-on in the event you ever need to use the warranty
You will need the decrypted RUU from here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...rums.com/showpost.php?p=46153741&postcount=31

I recommend copy and paste for the command so you don’t mistype something
This will lock your bootloader and make it show LOCKED not RELOCKED
While still in the bootloader type

Code:
Fastboot oem rebootRUU
Once in ruu mode *blackscreen with HTC text* its time to flash the decrypted ruu make sure you have placed the rom in the folder and named it Rom.zip
Run following command

Code:
Fastboot flash zip Rom.zip

It appears some people are confused on the following. You must confirm your device successfully flashes the ruu before contiuning
It could work the first time or could error out multiple times typically it fails the first time then completes the 2nd bu not a promise also make sure you have checked the md5 hash

You will most likely get the following error

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

Don’t worry this is normal (typically fails the first time) (also it could boot you out of ruu mode when it does) just make sure your phone still shows its in ruu mode
If it is not just retype
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
Then re-run the command

Code:
Once it finishes the phone will stay in ruu mode simply type

Code:
Fastboot reboot-bootloader

At this point you are stock unrooted and bootloader locked but still s-off to change this type

Code:
fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

you should get a message back saying

“(bootloader) writesecureflag: partitions signature pass
OKAY [ 1.666s]
finished. total time: 1.666s”
now type
fastboot reboot-bootloader
and verify you are now S-ON andtype
Code:
fastboot reboot
and your phone will load to stock
note this will be stock version m7wlv_1.10.605.8 so you will need to take the ota to update to 605.10

hope this helps

Last edited:

tpierce67

Sep 23, 2010
hope it helps i did it twice before making the post to make sure dont wanna lead anyone down wrong direction

I need HELP! I read the BIG RED PRINT about being bootloader unlocked but I still foolishly locked the bootloader prior to running this......I'm still S-Off but it will not flash the RUU. And now it is in a boot loop into recovery. I've tried running the lock unlock ADB scipt but I can't seem to get the device to connect in ADB mode.....fastboot works fine.

Hopefully I don't have a nice looking paper weight.

and BTW the reason i locked the BL is because I was reading other info on the web ( Youtube ) and got in a hurry.....LET THIS BE A REMINDER.

bmt626

Jul 23, 2009
I need HELP! I read the BIG RED PRINT about being bootloader unlocked but I still foolishly locked the bootloader prior to running this......I'm still S-Off but it will not flash the RUU. And now it is in a boot loop into recovery. I've tried running the lock unlock ADB scipt but I can't seem to get the device to connect in ADB mode.....fastboot works fine.

Hopefully I don't have a nice looking paper weight.

and BTW the reason i locked the BL is because I was reading other info on the web ( Youtube ) and got in a hurry.....LET THIS BE A REMINDER.

You do need to lock the bootloader at one point in my guide

What command did you run to lock the boot loader

Adb only works when booted in to a os

My advice is boot into bootloader then flash a custom recovery and flash cm from cm run unlock command in adb and try again following my directions

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk now Free

tpierce67

Sep 23, 2010
Thanks for the assit. I ran fastoot oem lock as the first step. I saw a couple of vids on youtube with those instructions. I will try your suggestions and see what happens. I left the phone at work cause I have iMac at home and I figured it was a paper weight at this point. Hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow.

bmt626

Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for the assit. I ran fastoot oem lock as the first step. I saw a couple of vids on youtube with those instructions. I will try your suggestions and see what happens. I left the phone at work cause I have iMac at home and I figured it was a paper weight at this point. Hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow.

just run this command from an

Code:
 adb shell
su
echo -ne "HTCU" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=33796

that should make it read unlocked again i ran fastboot oem lock when i was first testing and that command got me back

bmt626

Jul 23, 2009

let me know if you have issues ill be happy to help out

tpierce67

Sep 23, 2010
This is what i get when i try to flash a customer reovery

C:\Fastboot>fastboot flash recovery ope
sending 'recovery' (8504 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.156s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 1.987s

I need to find a way to unlock the bootloader. I'm stuck in bootloader mode.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

my bootloader screen reads

tampered
relocked
security warning
M7_WLV PVT SHIP S-ON RH

I'm not sure what happened since yesterday but I left my office it still read S-Off. I tried to install Rummrunner but since I can't enable USB debugging it won't flash.

Nov 21, 2012
This is what i get when i try to flash a customer reovery

C:\Fastboot>fastboot flash recovery ope
sending 'recovery' (8504 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.156s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 1.987s

I need to find a way to unlock the bootloader. I'm stuck in bootloader mode.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

my bootloader screen reads

tampered
relocked
security warning
M7_WLV PVT SHIP S-ON RH

I'm not sure what happened since yesterday but I left my office it still read S-Off. I tried to install Rummrunner but since I can't enable USB debugging it won't flash.

Use your unlock token

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app

jntdroid

Feb 16, 2011
DFW, TX
@tpierce67 - did you try the echo command he mentioned a few posts back to get it to read unlocked again? Edit: I think it just now clicked (re-read through for the 3rd time) why you probably weren't able to run that command... no custom recovery, no rom, no adb...

@bmt626 - so I take it SuperCID isn't necessary before running this?

Last edited:

skinney

Jun 14, 2010
Allentown, PA
I was able to do this without issues.. but It's showing tampered and I have no custom recovery?
Am I screwed for now? Or is there anything additional I can do? PC won't read it.. and it won't boot..
I have the option for recovery but it kicks me back out to fastboot..

tpierce67

Sep 23, 2010
@tpierce67 - did you try the echo command he mentioned a few posts back to get it to read unlocked again? Edit: I think it just now clicked (re-read through for the 3rd time) why you probably weren't able to run that command... no custom recovery, no rom, no adb...

@bmt626 - so I take it SuperCID isn't necessary before running this?

The Echo command is an ADB command and I can't get that far. I'm running out of options.

jntdroid

Feb 16, 2011
DFW, TX
@bmt626 - thanks again for this... I'm about to run it, but have one random, anal question... do you see any reason at all that I would need my sim in and the phone activated for this to work? I can't think of one, but just wanted to throw it out there to make myself feel better before running this :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please note you must be bootloader unlocked and S-OFF for this to work

you are doing this at your own risk dont blame me if something goes wrong i have tested this twice one on CM and once on Stock
    that being said

:D

This guide will help you return to stock un-rooted, locked, and s-on in the event you ever need to use the warranty
    You will need the decrypted RUU from here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...rums.com/showpost.php?p=46153741&postcount=31

I recommend copy and paste for the command so you don’t mistype something
    This will lock your bootloader and make it show LOCKED not RELOCKED
    While still in the bootloader type

Code:
    Fastboot oem rebootRUU
    Once in ruu mode *blackscreen with HTC text* its time to flash the decrypted ruu make sure you have placed the rom in the folder and named it Rom.zip
    Run following command

Code:

It appears some people are confused on the following. You must confirm your device successfully flashes the ruu before contiuning
    It could work the first time or could error out multiple times typically it fails the first time then completes the 2nd bu not a promise also make sure you have checked the md5 hash

You will most likely get the following error

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

Don’t worry this is normal (typically fails the first time) (also it could boot you out of ruu mode when it does) just make sure your phone still shows its in ruu mode
    If it is not just retype
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    Then re-run the command

Code:
    Once it finishes the phone will stay in ruu mode simply type

Code:
    Fastboot reboot-bootloader

At this point you are stock unrooted and bootloader locked but still s-off to change this type

Code:
    fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

you should get a message back saying

“(bootloader) writesecureflag: partitions signature pass
    OKAY [ 1.666s]
    finished. total time: 1.666s”
    now type
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    and verify you are now S-ON andtype
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    and your phone will load to stock
    note this will be stock version m7wlv_1.10.605.8 so you will need to take the ota to update to 605.10

hope this helps
    I can only speak for me, Scotty. But if they said what you said.. I wouldn't have screwed it up. Technically the directions said, run the command to apply Rom.zip, it'll probably fail. Which for all I know, may be the desired effect. I work in IT and hear "It's a normal error" all the time, but the important task is actually completed. So in this case, it says rum the Rom.zip. It then says, you may drop out of RUU, if so.. go back into RUU and run the command again. That makes it sound like a conditional statement. If you drop out of RUU, go back into it and then run the Rom.zip again.

Even if I made the jump to "it needs to be run a second time".. I wouldn't have imagined that it could take up to four times, per the new updated text. In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, it should have said run the Rom.zip until you get a message that looks like the following (output sample). Or until you don't see that same failure message. Something of that nature.

And it could be that I'm just sensitive to documentation. I write technical documentation often in my line of work and have to write to a very specific standard of "no one can misunderstand the doco."

Don't take this as a knock on the OP, he did us all a huge service. Obviously some folks got the right idea, but also some folks got the wrong one. It just needed clarification. I'm beyond grateful for the time taken to document (and update) this process for us all.

hmm,once you explain it that way i can somewhat see it... but when i read it,i read it just the way i said it,lol... so me it was obvious,but in all fairness ive run more ruus on htc phones than i can prolly count :eek: when i write guides i try and give as much detail as possible,and give a codebox with my commands clearly marked in red,so folks can see the results of the inputs,so this sort of confusion is avoided. im not knocking the OP,either,all the steps are 100% correct. but,we did all somewhat underestimate the importance of getting everythign 100% correct on the first shot without an official ruu or being able to re-unlock to get out of a jam. if i were writing this same guide,i would ahve the user boot the phone and verify correct software,firmware,recovery,etc. prior to doing the s on command.

as i mentioned above,i dont know why folks turn s on anyway. pre-release phones and some release phones get sent out s off,so seeing an s off,locked phone with the correct stock software provides no reason to think its ever been messed with. i honestly would just send the phone in s off. it may make some lucky customer real happy if it makes it back out into the wild that way :D
    There definitely needs to be a better guide to all of this.

Making a couple videos now. One of installing the ADB and Fastboot drivers for Windows 8, one for going S-On, and one for going S-Off and installing CWM recovery.
    Thanks so much for this.

hope it helps i did it twice before making the post to make sure dont wanna lead anyone down wrong direction
    Anyone knows what the command is to change super cid 1111111 back to vzw__001 ?

EDIT:
    fastboot oem writecid VZW__001. Thanks scotty1223