Headphone Sound 1-sided

Search This thread

SizAndals

Jun 3, 2010
To who ever can help...I'm experiencing an ongoing problem with headphones on my m8. Trying to listen to music is either one sided (left bud) or none at all. If I plug into my stereo, the Jack works and music is played normal. Coming from headphones to stereo, it goes one sided (even playing through the stereo).

I've changed ROMs with full wipe & clean install, the problem still occurs. Various headphones all do the same. I'm almost positive it's a software glitch somewhere but can't find a setting for it. I've tried freezing music apps with TB, I've also installed HK to see if that would tweak something. No clue what else to do.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
To clarify, are you saying that using a line cable to connect the phone to your stereo receiver/amp plays both sides. But all headphones, it only plays on one side?

Last edited:

SizAndals

Jun 3, 2010
Correct...I CAN play music via aux cord but CAN"T play through headphones of any kind (I've tried three different ones).

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
Different headphones use different rubber moldings around the wires, especially near the plug. Some can be thicker and some have little plastic protrusions which prevent the cable from being fully plugged in. If the cable isn't fully inserted, you will sometimes receive no audio in the right ear or no audio at all. I have this problem with a pair of Sony earbuds on my S4 and my M8, and as a result, they're dedicated strictly to my laptop.

Try this...get a male to female aux cord and plug one end to the phone, then plug your headphones into that.

Also, you can try pulling back the plastic sheath around the plug and see if that helps.

Last edited:

SizAndals

Jun 3, 2010
Try this...get a male to female aux cord and plug one end to the phone, then plug your headphones into that.

Also, you can try pulling back the plastic sheath around the plug and see if that helps.

I'll definitely try this out and see what happens. Its just weird because when I first got the phone the headphones worked (any and all). It wasn't untill I rooted that I started noticing an issue.

Diesel321

Or just cut a bit of the rubber off the edge of the headphones. With the case on my phone I had to do that for the aux jack in my car so that it would go all the way in. Of course only if they are your headphones and don't mind to do that.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
How about the headset that came with the phone? This shouldn't need any jiggering to make it plug in properly.

I would also agree with the notion that if you have a case on the phone, it may interfere with the headphone plugging in. Definitely try taking the case off (if you have one on) to see if it makes any difference.

Have you tried any headphones that don't have the microphone ("normal" headsets that aren't specially intended to use with smartphones)? Its just odd that a AUX cable works, and headphones don't. The only thing I can think that can be different is the hardware and software differences that are associated with the microphone (buttons, etc.).

Last edited:

SizAndals

Jun 3, 2010
Are there specific lines of code I can look at in the build .prop? I've gotten half the battle covered by Uninstalling HK and fixing permissions /wiping dalvik. Again music plays perfectly through stereo, whether aux, wifi or bt. One sided when headphones are used. There has to be some funky code going on.

Top Liked Posts