[Q] Used SIII tips needed

Search This thread

UNForces

Aug 6, 2013
Cairo
I'm planning to buy a used SIII through a local website that offers a space for people to display ads for their phones (something like Swappa), but the problem is that I have seen many fake products which looked exactly the same and even have TouchWiz on JB. What's more confusing is that most of these products have a printed valid IMEI number.

I though I might compare the valid printed IMEI with the one I get when dialing *#06#, but I'm not sure if that number can be faked as well.

Any advice on what to look for when examining a used SIII?
PS: I will have physical access to the phone before buying.

Last edited:

Flo0fy

Sep 6, 2012
I'm planning to buy a used SIII through a local website that offers a space for people to display ads for their phones (something like Swappa), but the problem is that I have seen many fake products which looked exactly the same and even have TouchWiz on JB. What's more confusing is that most of these products have a printed valid IMEI number.

I though I might compare the valid printed IMEI with the one I get when dialing *#06#, but I'm not sure if that number can be faked as well.

Any advice on what to look for when examining a used SIII?

Well can you touch the phone ? I mean dose the seller give it in your hands to play around with it ?. If so I think you could just download Antutu and see the specs and everything there.

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
Well can you touch the phone ? I mean dose the seller give it in your hands to play around with it ?. If so I think you could just download Antutu and see the specs and everything there.

Antutu benchmarks does not show whether it is real or not. Benchmarks are not accurate. To OP: If u can use the phone, go to download mode thru Volume down+Home+Power button and check the model name.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

UNForces

Aug 6, 2013
Cairo
Antutu benchmarks does not show whether it is real or not. Benchmarks are not accurate. To OP: If u can use the phone, go to download mode thru Volume down+Home+Power button and check the model name.
... you could just download Antutu and see the specs and everything there.
I think Denzof intended to point out to check the real hw specs like the presence of a quad core 1.4 CPU, and 1 g of ram etc as most of the fake S3's, in best cases, have max of a dual core cpu and 512 mb ram or may be less.

To OP: If u can use the phone, go to download mode thru Volume down+Home+Power button and check the model name.
Don't you think that the "download mode" can be emulated as well with the same model number as the original?

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
I think Denzof intended to point out to check the real hw specs like the presence of a quad core 1.4 CPU, and 1 g of ram etc as most of the fake S3's, in best cases, have max of a dual core cpu and 512 mb ram or may be less.

Don't you think that the "download mode" can be emulated as well with the same model number as the original?

Nope. Download mode can't be emulated.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app