Rooted Electrify user here that REALLY WANTS ICS

Search This thread

TheCrispytoast

Mar 29, 2012
So I finally rooted my Electrify(photon), I have insurance and **** and i've taken my phone scuba diving so I really dont care if I brick it at this point(just a reason for me to get a new phone).

Basically my question is, How can i go about getting an aftermarket ICS on it? I can use cynagon right? Someone link me please...? Can I use this? If so, What exactly is unlocking the bootloader?

Im still new at all the terminology, it's been forever since i've been in the Android dev scene....

Thanks a ton XDA!
-Chris

w0lf215

Oct 21, 2011
To flash CM9, or any unlocked ROM you need to install a custom recovery, usually clockworkmod. Idr about the electrify, but for the photon you need to flash the pudding unlocked file and run a few CMD lines in order to unlock the bootloader(kills 4g btw) and then you can install a custom recovery and be ready to flash unlocked ROMS. (same general process for electrifiy but iirc different files)IF you are on Android 2.3.5 your SOL.. For the time being atleast as you can't unlock its bootloader. QBKing has a few videos about the Photon on how to unlock, install CWM, and flash ROMS. There REALLY useful for beginners and people who need to be refreshed on what exactly to do. Don't quote me on the exact steps as I have a Photon and never looked too in depth about the electrify, wait for someone else to chime in to verify or search around.

TheCrispytoast

Mar 29, 2012
You were a lot of help so far, and yes I am running stock 2.3.5...I installed cwm, but I have yet to unlock the boot loader, and as you stated, I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon. But what exactly does unlocking the bootloader do...?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using XDA

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
My understanding is this...

Photon and Electrify 2.3.4 can unlock the bootloader.

Photon 2.3.5 can run something called bootstrap. (There is no legit Photon 2.3.5 from Sprint, but some bleeding-edge MoPho's have flashed 2.3.5 anyway and found themselves in a world of pain.)

Electrify 2.3.5 can do neither. I asked about it here and as of now 143 people have looked at it but haven't replied... Then again, it's the weekend, but I also asked in a topic about the bootstrap a week ago, and nobody there knew either.

So I think with Electrify 2.3.5 rooting is all you can do.

And that's fine, Electrify is beast anyway.

We're supposed to get official ICS in Q2 2012 (or was it Q3?). I don't know fiscal quarters, but Q1 starts in Spring, I think, so I guess summer or late summer?

I don't care about ICS and I don't see why I should. I change launchers weekly and I'm always rotating software on my phone. I'm more interested in getting the bootloader unlocked, but I don't think Motorola has any plans for that.

bricky23

Apr 6, 2010
Akron
Xiaomi Poco F3
Google Pixel 6a
While it's true you can't unlock the bootloader on 2.3.5 yet, that means that you can't flash kernels and some roms. There are some that work with a locked bootloader. Loki has an Imperium version. Rocko has some versions for locked phones. And there is this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1575259 from loki. It will strip the bloat and blur from your phone, and give it some tweaks. This with the launcher of your choice makes for a great phone.

w0lf215

Oct 21, 2011
Exactly what post above said. I'll just add on saying that without an unlocked bootloader there is no way to get ICS. Use locked roms and try different launchers and you can still have a sweet phone until official ics or we unlock 2.3.5

Sent from my MB855 using XDA

TheCrispytoast

Mar 29, 2012
What is blur and bloat?? And what ROM is best..? As far as locked boot loaders go...

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
Crispy, Blur is Motorola's enhancement suite for Android. It contains Motorola Home, and all the Motorola apps like the gallery, music player, and widgets. And the stupid lock screen. (I hate Motorola's lock screen. A lot.) HTC's is called Sense and Samsung's is called TouchWiz. They all have one. Very few Android phones are straight-up Android.

Bloat is anything on top of AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and the Google apps. This includes Blur/Sense/TouchWiz, technically, though most don't consider those bloat. If you have US Cellular, City ID is the epitome of bloat. It doesn't work as advertised, it's always there, and it will nag you to pay for it sometimes. Bloat on US Cellular phones also includes Tone Room Deluxe, Your Navigator Deluxe, My Contacts Backup, and the QuickOffice demo. Sprint has a whole other set of bloat apps.

Bricky -- So I don't need bootstrap? Or I do?

Crispy again: On your home screen, hit Menu, Settings, and then About Phone. Near the bottom look for "Android version". If it says 2.3.4 below, you can unlock your bootloader. If it says 2.3.5, you cannot.

TheCrispytoast

Mar 29, 2012
I know ha, and I'm on 2.3.5 just like youuu:/ but it appears that there are like someee rom's that can be used without unlocking the bootloader...

TheCrispytoast

Mar 29, 2012
Yes you need bootstrap. Root your phone, install bootstrap, make nandroid backup in bootstrap , install rom = profit :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

You need an UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER to install a ROM my friend....There are a few decent ROM's that dont require an UL loader, but to get a really nice ROM an unlocked bootloader appears to be greatly needed. I really wish Moto wasn't such a giant douche.

phince1

Nov 6, 2010
IOWA
You were a lot of help so far, and yes I am running stock 2.3.5...I installed cwm, but I have yet to unlock the boot loader, and as you stated, I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon. But what exactly does unlocking the bootloader do...?

You have cwm installed on a 2.3.5 Electrify with a locked bl??

zikario507

Dec 31, 2011
Panama
i really want ics on my electrify.. but i ve a electgrify 2.3.5 with locked bootloader..

is it possible to do it?

moneymakes

Jun 23, 2012
Sioux Falls
I run AOKP build 38 on my mopho, it's a little buggy. My advice is to run one of the slimmed down stock ROMS mentioned previously. Wait for the official build, then there will be a bunch of devs making perfectly tuned apps.

Reactions: zikario507

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes you need bootstrap. Root your phone, install bootstrap, make nandroid backup in bootstrap , install rom = profit :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    I run AOKP build 38 on my mopho, it's a little buggy. My advice is to run one of the slimmed down stock ROMS mentioned previously. Wait for the official build, then there will be a bunch of devs making perfectly tuned apps.