[Q] Nexus 7 USB connectivity to Windows XP SP3

Search This thread

ansh360

May 18, 2013
Delhi
Guys, I know i am repeating again the question but despite reading 15-20 posts and uncountable articles, I am still not able to get my nexus 7 working with the Windows XP SP3.

1) To start with, I downloaded the google drivers from ASUS and the MTP Porting Kit from microsoft.When i plug in the device with USB Debugging on, Windows shows 3 new devices- NEXUS 7 & Android ADB Interface.. and ofcourse Windows XP can not find the drivers for any. So i open the device manager and it shows Nexus 7 under unidentified devices. I install the drivers for ADB interface (the ones i downloaded from Asus) and the device becomes ready to use. But there is no option to browse the device from my computer or portable devices. Then i switch the debugging on, and now there is a new device- MTP under unidentified devices. Then i install the MTP Porting Kit, but the MTP device still shows a problem with the driver.

2) The second part of the problem is that all this did not work and even my WMP11 does not recognise the Nexus 7.

The device is just connected and charging!!! :p What am i doing wrong here??? :rolleyes:

twics

May 3, 2009
london
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Guys, I know i am repeating again the question but despite reading 15-20 posts and uncountable articles, I am still not able to get my nexus 7 working with the Windows XP SP3.

1) To start with, I downloaded the google drivers from ASUS and the MTP Porting Kit from microsoft.When i plug in the device with USB Debugging on, Windows shows 3 new devices- NEXUS 7 & Android ADB Interface.. and ofcourse Windows XP can not find the drivers for any. So i open the device manager and it shows Nexus 7 under unidentified devices. I install the drivers for ADB interface (the ones i downloaded from Asus) and the device becomes ready to use. But there is no option to browse the device from my computer or portable devices. Then i switch the debugging on, and now there is a new device- MTP under unidentified devices. Then i install the MTP Porting Kit, but the MTP device still shows a problem with the driver.

2) The second part of the problem is that all this did not work and even my WMP11 does not recognise the Nexus 7.

The device is just connected and charging!!! :p What am i doing wrong here??? :rolleyes:
I have exactly the same problem with my windows xp laptop it was OK until I wiped my laptop and reinstalled xp SP1-3 I can't seem to solve it either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

o82239

Sep 19, 2012
It worked, but the MTP keeps popping up for installation again and again.. and I am STILL NOT ABLE TO SEE MY DEVICE :(
??? It worked and it doesn't work ???

What worked?

Try to delete the precompiled inf-file 'C:\WINDOWS\inf\wpdmtp.pnf', edit the 'C:\WINDOWS\inf\wpdmtp.inf' (see link in the post in the top...), open the XP device-manager, right-click in the yellow '!' and 'update driver'...

I have exactly the same problem with my windows xp laptop it was OK until I wiped my laptop and reinstalled xp SP1-3 I can't seem to solve it either.
Do you have edit the 'C:\WINDOWS\inf\wpdmtp.inf'?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
I had a lot of problems myself getting Windows XP to work with my Nexus 7 as well... eventually I discovered that installing the latest version of Windows Media Player fixed the problem.

I wrote up a post on this issue on another forum (Sorry, XDA - this was before I discovered you guys:)), back in December of last year.

Anyway, here is my original post...

http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/forum/nexus-7-help/2600-cannot-connect-pc-2.html#post36608
(Actually, this whole thread is worth reading.)

The only nuisance factor is having to remember to re-enable USB debugging (Titanium Backup needs USB debugging enabled, and complains if itsn't) AFTER I've run some MTP Windows XP related file backups (USB debugging needs to be disabled, or MTP won't work)...

....or at least that is my experience.

Hope this is of some use.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:
Reactions: twics

zoomio

Sep 21, 2013
Hello guys,

I have the same issue on windows XP with Nexus 7. I tried everything what was suggested and nothing is working.
I have Windows XP SP3 with WMP11 and MTP porting kit installed as well. the device is recognized and driver is instaled fine. But it's not visible on "my computer" in MTP mode. I tried to turn on usb debugging and still device is invisible in windows explorer, the same is when usb debugging is turoned off.
When device is in PTP mode it appears in "my computer" and i'm able to browse it and see all pictures and photos.

How can i browse my device in MTP mode and copy files there? Please reply if anybody knows what to do to fix this issue.

Thank you.

Taowtp

Oct 19, 2008

Recently got a 2012 Nexus 7 from a retailer selling this model with updated Android at very attractive price, and initially able to connect to computer so promptly rooted the device with the Nexus Root Toolkit from Wugfresh Development (in this forum), afterwards had same problems with not being able to read / transfer files.

Tried every fix I could find in other threads, and although device manager saying that connected as 'ADB Device' with debugging on, or 'Google Nexus 7 ADB Device' with MTP on and debugging off, still stuck with no access.

Looking closer at the MTP configuration ('Google Nexus 7 ADB Device') under device manager noticed that details listed manufacturer as 'ClockWorkMod' , and eventually that this originated within a Windows\Inf file titled 'oem60'.

I cut and pasted the 'oem60' file to another directory (to keep it safe just in case this upset something else) then on reconnecting the Nexus 7 as MPT with debugging off, device manager found and installed the correct driver at last. Now able to see and transfer files to / from it.

Presumably could alter the relevant lines in the 'oem60' file, which aren't hard to find, and put it back to original directory, but my other devices also working fine so not done so as yet.

Reactions: pinewomble

pinewomble

Dec 31, 2017
Recently got a 2012 Nexus 7 from a retailer selling this model with updated Android at very attractive price, and initially able to connect to computer so promptly rooted the device with the Nexus Root Toolkit from Wugfresh Development (in this forum), afterwards had same problems with not being able to read / transfer files.

Tried every fix I could find in other threads, and although device manager saying that connected as 'ADB Device' with debugging on, or 'Google Nexus 7 ADB Device' with MTP on and debugging off, still stuck with no access.

Looking closer at the MTP configuration ('Google Nexus 7 ADB Device') under device manager noticed that details listed manufacturer as 'ClockWorkMod' , and eventually that this originated within a Windows\Inf file titled 'oem60'.

I cut and pasted the 'oem60' file to another directory (to keep it safe just in case this upset something else) then on reconnecting the Nexus 7 as MPT with debugging off, device manager found and installed the correct driver at last. Now able to see and transfer files to / from it.

Presumably could alter the relevant lines in the 'oem60' file, which aren't hard to find, and put it back to original directory, but my other devices also working fine so not done so as yet.

The above workaround was spot on, thanks :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had a lot of problems myself getting Windows XP to work with my Nexus 7 as well... eventually I discovered that installing the latest version of Windows Media Player fixed the problem.

I wrote up a post on this issue on another forum (Sorry, XDA - this was before I discovered you guys:)), back in December of last year.

Anyway, here is my original post...

http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/forum/nexus-7-help/2600-cannot-connect-pc-2.html#post36608
    (Actually, this whole thread is worth reading.)

The only nuisance factor is having to remember to re-enable USB debugging (Titanium Backup needs USB debugging enabled, and complains if itsn't) AFTER I've run some MTP Windows XP related file backups (USB debugging needs to be disabled, or MTP won't work)...

....or at least that is my experience.

Hope this is of some use.

Rgrds,
    Ged.