The HP Touchpad Demo Unit Solution - Bypass Activation

Search This thread

bluepoint951

Aug 21, 2011
[SIZE=+1]As of 1425 CDT on 22-Aug 2011 it appears HP has unlocked the DEMO units; you may not need the steps below. I'll leave them here for reference.[/SIZE]

MOD EDIT (LP): If required, please read "[GUIDE] Turning a Demo unit into a fully functional Retail Unit" posted by mplacido9 for more detailed instructions. Give him your Thanks (by hitting the Thanks button) if you find his in-depth guide useful.

Solution with the help of other posts [special thanks to user chekz here on precentral.net and & webOS roundup] This set of instructions will take your DEMO unit 32GB HP TouchPad and place it into Dev mode [and help you update to webOS 3.0.2 if you haven't already done so].

Just an FYI, the error that you receive after you flash to regular webOS 3.0.0 or 3.0.2 and can't move forward in registration is: PalmS3036 which is listed as "Device is Locked from doing FirstUse". This leads me to believe, like others, that it is merely a software reason and not a hardware one as to why we cannot use these like regular units.

This does remove the DEMO software, allows you to update to webOS 3.0.2, and keeps you from getting stuck on trying to register; however, It is untested on weather you can log into an existing webOS account. I am unable to create a webOS account as I don't own any other webOS devices and I do not know if this will impact your ability to register/unlock your DEMO unit in the future [if HP does so]. I would assume you should be able to use webOS Doctor once again to restore the unit as it was before this solution was developed.

Here is where i got the information:

Touchpad demo mode - (Page 5)

how can i flash stock rom? - (Page 3)

Activation-Bypass Tool - webOS Developer Center

====

You will need this file:
Right click and Save as: http://onebluepoint.net/chekz-devicetool.zip

or

FileServe Download (again thanks to chekz)

[SIZE=+2]I. HP TouchPad Demo Unit Solution - Bypass Activation[/SIZE]

Steps:

1. If you have not already, update to webOS 3.0.2

****a. To do this download this: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p302r0d08012011/wifip302rod/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

****b. Run the aforementioned file by double clicking (You must have Java installed; I did this on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit)

****c. Continue the setup until you get to the step where you are asked to connect your device with a USB cable. (But, do not connect your TouchPad at this step)

****d. On you TouchPad shut down the tablet (you should be able to do this by holding the power option for a few seconds and selecting the "Shut Down" option ; if you can't get that to come up you can force a restart by holding the "Home" button and power button at the same time for apx 5-10sec)

****e. Restart/Start-up you device holding the Power button and the Volume Up button (This boots the device into Recovery Mode) You will know if you are successful if you see the USB logo on your screen.

****f. Connect your TouchPad to your computer; on screen you should be able to hit the next button to allow your device to be updated.

****g. Allow 10-15min for the application to finish; at the end it will tell you the device is resetting. You will see a small HP logo on your TouchPad, disconnect the USB from your computer.

****h. Once the upgrade is complete and has loaded you can attempt to login or create and account but if you have a demo unit; you won't be able to register. [aka ERROR CODE: PalmS3036]

2. Power down your TouchPad (see step 1d for help if needed)

3. Hold down the Power and Volume Up button to allow your device to boot into Recovery Mode. You should see a USB logo on screen. (see step 1e for help if needed)

4. On your desktop, unzip the chekz-devicetool.zip file. You might want to copy this un-zipped file to your C: drive to make the next step easier.

5. You will need to open a Command Prompt (for Vista and/or Win7 you might need to run as Admin by right clicking on the icon in your Start>Programs>Accessories folder)

6. Change to the directory where the unzipped file is located (i.e. C:\chekz-devicetool )

7. Connect your TouchPad to your Computer

8. In your Command Prompt type the following command: java -jar devicetool.jar

9: You should see the following (your device will restart a time or two):

devicetool.png

10. Once you see the "Device is ready." You can Disconnect your TouchPad from your computer.

11. When you power on your TouchPad, you should go straight to the home screen; by bypassing the activation screen.

-----

I don't have a webOS Account to log into to see of existing users can log into their accounts. I was able to use the stock applications and login to the existing applications like Facebook. I did this about 30 minutes ago so, I am still playing around.

==============

Update from 22 - Aug 2011 @ 13:45 CDT

After completing yesterday's work; Today my goal was to get this thing fully working. I was able to create and log into a webOS Account ad even access the App Catalouge. Steps below.

[SIZE=+2]II. Create/Log in to webOS profile for DEMO 32GB Touchpads[/SIZE]

Information found:

Installing Preware with WebOS Quick Install

WebOS Quick Install v4.2.3

Impostah

Steps:

1. Download WebOS Quick Install (check the links above)

2. Open the afrorementioned downloaded file (i.e. WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar)

3. If your TouchPad is not connected, you will get a message that says "No Devices Found". Connect your TouchPad and hit OK.

3. Click the third button on the right (the globe icon)

4. Select the Applications tab at the top

5. Search for Preware

6. Click Install.

7. On you Touchpad, on the home screen hit the Launcher icon (on the bottom right, looks like an arrow) and go to the Downloads Tab

8. Touch/open the program Preware

9. In the top right corner, touch/open the Magnifying Glass and type in "Impostah". Click the one result that comes up.

10. At the bottom of the description page you should see a Install button; touch/click to install the program.

11. Once the download and install is complete, you should be able to launch the program. (If you are brought back to the Launcher, Impostah can be found in the Downloads tab)

12. Once Impostah is launched, select the Activation button.

13a. For Existing webOS Account holders You should be able to type in your email address and password and hit Login To Profile.

13b. For New Users, type in the email address you wish to associate your account with and the password you wish to use. Then hit the Create New Profile button. You should see message asking you to confirm that you wish to proceed. To continue simply hit the green "Create New Profile" button.

14. To verify that your TouchPad has your webOS Account associated with your device. Open the Launcher, go to the Settings Tab, then touch/open the "Device Info" icon. You should see the e-mail address you used to register/log-in to your account listed in the "HP webOS Account" field. If the "Name" field is blank, you will need to tap the blank area and enter your name.

15. You are done! Enjoy! You can now access the HP App catalog and other webOS features.

If you want to verify your account was created, you canlog-in to your webOS Account here: Manage my HP webOS Account

Thanks to everyone else here and they guys over at webOS roundup for some guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluepoint951

Aug 21, 2011
It looks like from what others have said that the DEMO's are now OK to register. You simply need to run webOS Doctor to get the latest build and you should be able to log-in and/or create a new account.

p0nk0

Aug 11, 2010
Upgrade to 3.0.2

Hi,

I'm currently doing the upgrade to the latest version on a demo unit 32GB Model and it has stayed stuck at 62% on step 1g for 25 minutes, and I'm starting to get nervous. I haven't touched the installation and on the tablet screen it still appears as if it's doing the upgrade, what options do I have?

Last edited:

king003

Aug 22, 2011
in the "just type" feature type

1. webos20090606
2. Hit the Developer Mode icon that appears.
3. That’s it, you’re ready to install anything on your TouchPad.

p0nk0

Aug 11, 2010
@ King 003

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but in the current point in the installation i don't have a screen to type anything i'm strill trying to do the upgrade to web os 3.0.2 and it's stuck at 62%

mes215

Aug 30, 2010
nykrindc.blogspot.com
This worked like a charm, and the best part, once I ran WebOS Doctor, I didn't have to do anything else, I was able to create an account and now I'm enjoying a full webos experience!! Thanks XDA!

tubaguy055

Aug 24, 2011
Help!

I am getting a error code of PAMS9999 "Generic Fault" when I try to register an existing account or set-up a new one on my touchpad. I have tried after the doctor, and followed the additional steps for the full hack, but I still am unable to set-up any webos accounts on the device.

Any suggestion??

lkwan78

Jul 25, 2010
i'm not able to create a new account... I use to have a palm pre and i can't login with that account either.

help...

zefyx

Dec 19, 2007
i'm not able to create a new account... I use to have a palm pre and i can't login with that account either.

help...

It would seem that an unverified report from multiple sources are stating that HP has released the registration lock on all demo units, rendering the Impostah & activation bypass moot. All that needs to be done is a refresh of the system software using the retail webOS 3.0.2 doctor. At this point, you should be able to treat your TouchPad as a retail unit.

lkwan78

Jul 25, 2010
Nope still not working...

zeyfx,

Nope I tried many times last night, and i just tried again while at work.

I have already run the webos doctor3.02, but i'm still not able to create an account.

the error at the bottom is pams9999

nfusion77

Jun 15, 2011
Where does one score a demo unit? I just tried the local walmart and the electronics mngr. shot me down, gave me the line 'gotta return it to HP.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

I work for a retail outlet and the reason most stores cannot sell the demo units is because HP sent special units just for demo, in our store when we go to sell it the price comes up at $9,999. We did have a visit from our hp rep today and he told me to get it out of demo mode you can type in #demo##. Im not able to test it so I have no idea if it actually works just thought i would pass that along.

1miracle2

Nov 13, 2010
Phx
crude

this isn't working for me
getting PAMS3041 when trying to create new profile

when I try to sign in using my wife's profile I get PAMS9994

UGH!
Suggestions anyone?

mplacido9

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
Working Solution

I posted this over at Pre Central (my account name there is jovo55) and figured I should post it here also for everyone at XDA.

I think I might have solved the problem.

I followed the instructions in the OP and was still getting the error when trying to register a new webOS account even with Impostah. I decided to just play around with Preware and Impostah and see what stuff could be done to the touchpad. While doing so, I think I figured out how to get Impostah to register a webOS account on a demo touchpad.

These are the steps I did:

1. Follow the steps in the OP exactly. (Thanks bluepoint951)

2. When you reach the point that Impostah fails to register your new webOS account reboot your touchpad. (See OP for reboot instructions)

3. Open Preware and add the testing feeds for the touchpad (armv7) (Instructions here: www(dot)webos-internals(dot)org/wiki/Testing_Feeds ) *Sorry but xda won't allow me to post the hyperlink*

4. Tap Preware menu in top left corner and then choose "Update Feeds".

5. After feeds update, tap the magnifying glass at the top right.

6. Search for "Device Profile Service Override" (without the quotes) and install.

7. After install reboot your touchpad again.

8. After startup run Impostah again and activate a new account.

That's it. You should now get a successful activation with Impostah. You'll now have full access to the HP App Catalog and everything else that comes with having a webOS account.

I hope that helps everyone out. If you have any issues still, post them. I'll try and help.

Good luck everyone.

-Jovo55 (aka mplacido9 at xda)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+1]As of 1425 CDT on 22-Aug 2011 it appears HP has unlocked the DEMO units; you may not need the steps below. I'll leave them here for reference.[/SIZE]

MOD EDIT (LP): If required, please read "[GUIDE] Turning a Demo unit into a fully functional Retail Unit" posted by mplacido9 for more detailed instructions. Give him your Thanks (by hitting the Thanks button) if you find his in-depth guide useful.

Solution with the help of other posts [special thanks to user chekz here on precentral.net and & webOS roundup] This set of instructions will take your DEMO unit 32GB HP TouchPad and place it into Dev mode [and help you update to webOS 3.0.2 if you haven't already done so].

Just an FYI, the error that you receive after you flash to regular webOS 3.0.0 or 3.0.2 and can't move forward in registration is: PalmS3036 which is listed as "Device is Locked from doing FirstUse". This leads me to believe, like others, that it is merely a software reason and not a hardware one as to why we cannot use these like regular units.

This does remove the DEMO software, allows you to update to webOS 3.0.2, and keeps you from getting stuck on trying to register; however, It is untested on weather you can log into an existing webOS account. I am unable to create a webOS account as I don't own any other webOS devices and I do not know if this will impact your ability to register/unlock your DEMO unit in the future [if HP does so]. I would assume you should be able to use webOS Doctor once again to restore the unit as it was before this solution was developed.

Here is where i got the information:

Touchpad demo mode - (Page 5)

how can i flash stock rom? - (Page 3)

Activation-Bypass Tool - webOS Developer Center

====

You will need this file:
    Right click and Save as: http://onebluepoint.net/chekz-devicetool.zip

or

FileServe Download (again thanks to chekz)

[SIZE=+2]I. HP TouchPad Demo Unit Solution - Bypass Activation[/SIZE]

Steps:

1. If you have not already, update to webOS 3.0.2

****a. To do this download this: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p302r0d08012011/wifip302rod/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

****b. Run the aforementioned file by double clicking (You must have Java installed; I did this on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit)

****c. Continue the setup until you get to the step where you are asked to connect your device with a USB cable. (But, do not connect your TouchPad at this step)

****d. On you TouchPad shut down the tablet (you should be able to do this by holding the power option for a few seconds and selecting the "Shut Down" option ; if you can't get that to come up you can force a restart by holding the "Home" button and power button at the same time for apx 5-10sec)

****e. Restart/Start-up you device holding the Power button and the Volume Up button (This boots the device into Recovery Mode) You will know if you are successful if you see the USB logo on your screen.

****f. Connect your TouchPad to your computer; on screen you should be able to hit the next button to allow your device to be updated.

****g. Allow 10-15min for the application to finish; at the end it will tell you the device is resetting. You will see a small HP logo on your TouchPad, disconnect the USB from your computer.

****h. Once the upgrade is complete and has loaded you can attempt to login or create and account but if you have a demo unit; you won't be able to register. [aka ERROR CODE: PalmS3036]

2. Power down your TouchPad (see step 1d for help if needed)

3. Hold down the Power and Volume Up button to allow your device to boot into Recovery Mode. You should see a USB logo on screen. (see step 1e for help if needed)

4. On your desktop, unzip the chekz-devicetool.zip file. You might want to copy this un-zipped file to your C: drive to make the next step easier.

5. You will need to open a Command Prompt (for Vista and/or Win7 you might need to run as Admin by right clicking on the icon in your Start>Programs>Accessories folder)

6. Change to the directory where the unzipped file is located (i.e. C:\chekz-devicetool )

7. Connect your TouchPad to your Computer

devicetool.png

10. Once you see the "Device is ready." You can Disconnect your TouchPad from your computer.

11. When you power on your TouchPad, you should go straight to the home screen; by bypassing the activation screen.

-----

I don't have a webOS Account to log into to see of existing users can log into their accounts. I was able to use the stock applications and login to the existing applications like Facebook. I did this about 30 minutes ago so, I am still playing around.

==============

Update from 22 - Aug 2011 @ 13:45 CDT

After completing yesterday's work; Today my goal was to get this thing fully working. I was able to create and log into a webOS Account ad even access the App Catalouge. Steps below.

[SIZE=+2]II. Create/Log in to webOS profile for DEMO 32GB Touchpads[/SIZE]

Information found:

Installing Preware with WebOS Quick Install

WebOS Quick Install v4.2.3

Impostah

Steps:

1. Download WebOS Quick Install (check the links above)

2. Open the afrorementioned downloaded file (i.e. WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar)

3. If your TouchPad is not connected, you will get a message that says "No Devices Found". Connect your TouchPad and hit OK.

3. Click the third button on the right (the globe icon)

4. Select the Applications tab at the top

5. Search for Preware

6. Click Install.

7. On you Touchpad, on the home screen hit the Launcher icon (on the bottom right, looks like an arrow) and go to the Downloads Tab

8. Touch/open the program Preware

9. In the top right corner, touch/open the Magnifying Glass and type in "Impostah". Click the one result that comes up.

10. At the bottom of the description page you should see a Install button; touch/click to install the program.

11. Once the download and install is complete, you should be able to launch the program. (If you are brought back to the Launcher, Impostah can be found in the Downloads tab)

13a. For Existing webOS Account holders You should be able to type in your email address and password and hit Login To Profile.

13b. For New Users, type in the email address you wish to associate your account with and the password you wish to use. Then hit the Create New Profile button. You should see message asking you to confirm that you wish to proceed. To continue simply hit the green "Create New Profile" button.

14. To verify that your TouchPad has your webOS Account associated with your device. Open the Launcher, go to the Settings Tab, then touch/open the "Device Info" icon. You should see the e-mail address you used to register/log-in to your account listed in the "HP webOS Account" field. If the "Name" field is blank, you will need to tap the blank area and enter your name.

15. You are done! Enjoy! You can now access the HP App catalog and other webOS features.

If you want to verify your account was created, you canlog-in to your webOS Account here: Manage my HP webOS Account

Thanks to everyone else here and they guys over at webOS roundup for some guidance.
    I'm having the same problems with my demo model. None of the solutions have worked so far.

This is with an Australian 32GB demo model - part number FB472UA#UUF

edit: GOT IT WORKING

The productSKU for the demo unit is FB472UA#UUF and for the release unit it is FB427UA#UUF (notice 72 vs 27).

I just used Impostah to change the productSKU to the retail SKU value and then Impostah was able to activate.

I'm now able to load the App Catalog and my webOS account shows two touchpad registered to it (my retail 32GB and my demo 32GB).

I also had the "Device Profile Service Override" installed via Preware, but I'm not sure if that is needed (edit: it is needed).
    [GUIDE] Turning a Demo unit into a fully functional Retail Unit

Mods: I know there is already a sticky thread with a portion of this in it. This is a complete tutorial.

These instructions will help you turn your HP TouchPad demo unit into a fully functional retail unit. You will be able to activate a new webOS account and have full access to the App Catalog.

I want to start by saying that I did not come up with these instructions all on my own. The first section of this was written by bluepoint951. The remainder was put together by myself, with testing help from a few other members. I thought it was necessary and useful to post a complete tutorial. Many thanks to bluepoint951 (for the instructions on bypassing activation), chekz (for the activation bypass tool), lalifeguards (for the US retail productSKU), and WebOS Internals (for Preware, Impostah, and all your homebrew needs).

On to the instructions…

Step 1

This first step removes the DEMO software, allows you to update to webOS 3.0.2, and keeps you from getting stuck on trying to register a webOS account.

You will need this file:
    Right click and Save as: http://onebluepoint.net/chekz-devicetool.zip or FileServe Download (again thanks to chekz)

Steps:

1. If you have not done so already, update to webOS 3.0.2
    a. To do this download this: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p302r0d08012011/wifip302rod/webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

b. Run the aforementioned file by double clicking (You must have Java installed; I did this on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit)

c. Continue thru the setup until you get to the step where you are asked to connect your device with a USB cable. ***Do not connect your TouchPad at this step***

d. On your TouchPad shut down the tablet (you should be able to do this by holding the power option for a few seconds and selecting the "Shut Down" option. If you can't get that to come up you can force a restart by holding the "Home" button and power button at the same time for apx 5-10sec).

e. Restart/Start-up you device holding the Power button and the Volume Up button (This boots the device into Recovery Mode). You will know if you are successful when you see the USB logo on your screen.

f. Connect your TouchPad to your computer; on screen you should be able to hit the next button to allow your device to be updated.
    g. Allow 10-15min for the application to finish; at the end it will tell you the device is resetting. You will see a small HP logo on your TouchPad, disconnect the USB from your computer.

h. Once the upgrade is complete and has loaded you can attempt to login or create and account but if you have a demo unit; you won't be able to register. [aka ERROR CODE: PalmS3036]

2. Power down your TouchPad (see step 1d for help if needed).

5. You will need to open a Command Prompt (for Vista and/or Win7 you might need to run as Administrator by right clicking on the icon in your Start>Programs>Accessories folder)

7. Connect your TouchPad to your Computer ***Do not enter USB mode on the TouchPad***

devicetool.png

10. Once you see the "Device is ready." You can disconnect your TouchPad from your computer.

Step 2

This step will help you create and activate a webOS account on your TouchPad. Currently at this point you have a semi-functional TouchPad. It does not have a webOS account linked to it so you do not have access to the App Catalog or any other functions that require a webOS account.

Steps:

1. Download WebOS Quick Install (WebOS Quick Install v4.2.3).

2. Open the aforementioned downloaded file (i.e. WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar).

3. If your TouchPad is not connected, you will get a message that says "No Devices Found". Connect your TouchPad (do not enter USB mode) and hit OK.

3. Click the third button on the right (the globe icon).

4. Select the Applications tab at the top.

5. Search for “Preware” (without quotes).

6. Click Install.

7. On your Touchpad, on the home screen hit the Launcher icon (on the bottom right, looks like an arrow) and go to the Downloads Tab.

8. Touch/open the program Preware.

9. In the top right corner, touch/open the Magnifying Glass and type in "Impostah" (without quotes). Click the one result that comes up.

10. At the bottom of the description page you should see an Install button; touch/click to install the program.

11. Once the download and install is complete, you should be able to launch the program. (If you are brought back to the Launcher, Impostah can be found in the Downloads tab).

13a. For Existing webOS Account holders, you should be able to type in your email address and password and hit Login To Profile. (It is recommended that you follow the next step to create a new account)

(If you get an error here, scroll down to “Oh no!, I got an error…”, If no error continue to next step)

If you want to verify your account was created, you can log-in to your webOS Account here: Manage my HP webOS Account

“Oh no! I got an error and Impostah won’t register my account!” Don’t worry. This is common and happened to me as well. Continue on to step 3.

Step 3

This step will help you get past the error “PAMS3041 INVALID DEVICE MODEL NO PRODUCT SKU AVAILABLE.”

Steps:

1. Reboot your TouchPad and then launch Preware.

2. Ensure you have the latest version on Impostah installed (v0.9.12 is the latest). To check go to Installed Packages > Application and then look for Impostah in the list. The version number is right under the name.

3. Add the testing feeds for the touchpad (armv7) (Instructions here: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals )

6. Search for "Device Profile Service Override" (without the quotes) and install.

7. After install reboot your TouchPad again.

8. After startup run Impostah.

9. Go to Device Profile > Device Profile Overrides.

10. Then in the “New Override” field, hit “attribute” with the small arrow to bring up the list. Select “productSku” from the list.

11. In the “Value” field it should have some text like “FB464UA#ABA”. Click on that text and change it to FB359UA#ABA and then select “Set Override”.

12. Now go back to “Activation” in Impostah and activate a new account. (See Step 2 #13b for more details)

That's it. You should now get a successful activation with Impostah. You'll now have full access to the HP App Catalog and everything else that comes with having a webOS account.

*Side note on the productSku. The productSku given in the instructions is for the US retail model. It has also been confirmed to work with the Australian retail productSku of FB427UA#UUF.

I hope this helps everyone who has purchased a demo unit from a retailer.
    I posted this over at Pre Central (my account name there is jovo55) and figured I should post it here also for everyone at XDA.

I think I might have solved the problem.

I followed the instructions in the OP and was still getting the error when trying to register a new webOS account even with Impostah. I decided to just play around with Preware and Impostah and see what stuff could be done to the touchpad. While doing so, I think I figured out how to get Impostah to register a webOS account on a demo touchpad.

These are the steps I did:

1. Follow the steps in the OP exactly. (Thanks bluepoint951)

2. When you reach the point that Impostah fails to register your new webOS account reboot your touchpad. (See OP for reboot instructions)

3. Open Preware and add the testing feeds for the touchpad (armv7) (Instructions here: www(dot)webos-internals(dot)org/wiki/Testing_Feeds ) *Sorry but xda won't allow me to post the hyperlink*

7. After install reboot your touchpad again.

8. After startup run Impostah again and activate a new account.

I hope that helps everyone out. If you have any issues still, post them. I'll try and help.

Good luck everyone.

-Jovo55 (aka mplacido9 at xda)

Did not work, still getting PAMS3041: Invalid device model, no product SKU available
    There is no update for Impostah, still v0.9.9
    Still getting error

The newest version of Impostah is v0.9.12. That's what I updated to before the fix worked for me.