[Q] [SOLVED] Still losing IMEI in CyanogenMod, several methods tested

Search This thread

misfisk

Jan 27, 2014
Hi there,

First of all, yes, I did stalk these forums and many others exhaustively for days before starting a thread of my own :)

My GT-i9070 from Hong Kong loses its IMEI when installing CyanogenMod by Team Canjica. I've had this problem with all non-official ROMs i've tried to flash on this phone, even with official ROMs from a different region.

Methods I've tried several times already:
  • Backing up and restoring efs and modemfs folders with dd
  • nvbackup and nvrestore
  • SynergyROM
  • QPST
  • Replacing the /system/lib/tee folder in the ROM with my original prior to flashing
  • Nandroid backup

I followed several guides for every method to the letter, but to no avail. Now I switch back and forth between 2 nandroid backups, the stock Samsung 4.1.2 and CyanogenMod 10.1 and 10.2 for testing. I have efs, modemfs and tee folders backed up as well, so I seem to be in no danger of losing IMEI permanently. I'll admit i'm not too deep into Android yet, but I'm not new to this kind of stuff either, as I used to develop on Maemo and Meego a few years back.

It seems to me that the Hong Kong model GT-i9070 is different from others, as at least some of the above mentioned methods apparently work for most other users. I'm thinking the modem driver might be wrong, would that be it? As I understand so far, Samsung modems are different in some parts of the world.

I have been using these forums for a while, and I'd like to contribute when I get deeper into this. In the meantime, any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naney

danhughes1961

Sep 13, 2012
Hi - i had a very similar problem, but with different ROMs (both Sami and Harsh had the same problem) - i've not tried any CM ROM yet. I've got the same handset as you, HK version and does seem be problem for HK handsets. My problem was resolved by copying back the original tee folder, but i see you have tried that already. I was planning on trying CM10.2 out...i'll let you know if i have the same issue...if you manage to resolve it, please let us know how you did it ! Good luck

misfisk

Jan 27, 2014
Hi - i had a very similar problem, but with different ROMs (both Sami and Harsh had the same problem) - i've not tried any CM ROM yet. I've got the same handset as you, HK version and does seem be problem for HK handsets. My problem was resolved by copying back the original tee folder, but i see you have tried that already. I was planning on trying CM10.2 out...i'll let you know if i have the same issue...if you manage to resolve it, please let us know how you did it ! Good luck

Thanks for your response, good to know I'm not the only one having this issue. I'll give the tee folder method yet another try. Which ROM did you solve your problem with?

Last edited:

misfisk

Jan 27, 2014
Ok, this just worked for me:

Instead of replacing the /system/lib/tee folder in the ROM prior to installation, I replaced it post-installation, rebooted, factory reset and wiped dalvik cache.

I am not sure if this will work every time, but I'm making a nandroid backup of this now. I'll try with the 10.1 CM ROM as well, see if it works there as well.
It does. Marking as solved.

Last edited:

danhughes1961

Sep 13, 2012

Instead of replacing the /system/lib/tee folder in the ROM prior to installation, I replaced it post-installation, rebooted, factory reset and wiped dalvik cache.

I am not sure if this will work every time, but I'm making a nandroid backup of this now. I'll try with the 10.1 CM ROM as well, see if it works there as well.

yes - post installation, sorry i thought you did it post installation - if you did it pre installation surely it would just get overwritten or am i missing something !? Anyway, glad you got it sorted - i know it was bugging me a lot. I have tried with two different ROMS (Harshjelly and Sami 1.1) and both had the same problem and both sorted out by the tee folder. Something funny about HK handsets for sure !

misfisk

Jan 27, 2014
yes - post installation, sorry i thought you did it post installation - if you did it pre installation surely it would just get overwritten or am i missing something !? Anyway, glad you got it sorted - i know it was bugging me a lot. I have tried with two different ROMS (Harshjelly and Sami 1.1) and both had the same problem and both sorted out by the tee folder. Something funny about HK handsets for sure !

The Taiwanese have similar issues, I hear. I'm guessing it's carrier related. Thanks for your replies, I have really been banging my head against the desk over this for a long time now :)

marioetc

Sep 24, 2014
CM 11

Hi everybody.
The "tee file methode" was the only one that really work for me (while installing CM11, but the problems with other romes I tried were the same).
I live in Macau but my phone used the TYG Jelly Bean version of Hong Kong.
However, even without using the ART enviroment, I have had several issues using some of the most important apps: for starters, the nandroid backups done using the online nandroid backup app fail to do the boot and recovery backups...does anybody else have the same problem.
Since the problems reported apparently related to this region, does anybody want to start as I9070 Hong Kong Region specific thread where we can specifie this king of problems?
Thanks to all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

First of all, yes, I did stalk these forums and many others exhaustively for days before starting a thread of my own :)

My GT-i9070 from Hong Kong loses its IMEI when installing CyanogenMod by Team Canjica. I've had this problem with all non-official ROMs i've tried to flash on this phone, even with official ROMs from a different region.

Methods I've tried several times already:
    • Backing up and restoring efs and modemfs folders with dd
    • nvbackup and nvrestore
    • SynergyROM
    • QPST
    • Replacing the /system/lib/tee folder in the ROM with my original prior to flashing
    • Nandroid backup

I followed several guides for every method to the letter, but to no avail. Now I switch back and forth between 2 nandroid backups, the stock Samsung 4.1.2 and CyanogenMod 10.1 and 10.2 for testing. I have efs, modemfs and tee folders backed up as well, so I seem to be in no danger of losing IMEI permanently. I'll admit i'm not too deep into Android yet, but I'm not new to this kind of stuff either, as I used to develop on Maemo and Meego a few years back.

It seems to me that the Hong Kong model GT-i9070 is different from others, as at least some of the above mentioned methods apparently work for most other users. I'm thinking the modem driver might be wrong, would that be it? As I understand so far, Samsung modems are different in some parts of the world.

I have been using these forums for a while, and I'd like to contribute when I get deeper into this. In the meantime, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for your response, good to know I'm not the only one having this issue. I'll give the tee folder method yet another try. Which ROM did you solve your problem with?