[GUIDE] No-Wipe Factory Images (Restore from any soft-brick without wiping data)

Search This thread

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
No-Wipe Factory Image for Verizon Galaxy S4

(Restore from any soft-brick without wiping data)

tZcIGE4.jpg

Description: This is a guide (based similar to my previous guide for the Verizon Galaxy S III) that will help you flash a 99.9% stock factory image for the Verizon Galaxy S4 overwriting every partition on the device back to stock. The ONLY major change I have made is for your convenience I have modified the factory image to keep all your data/apps/settings and internal storage partition intact. This method should help you restore from any soft-brick that you may encounter without having to wipe your data.

Minor Warning: Please note that if you had any special mods that you had to manually flash before or move on the system partition (like Google Wallet, AOSP 4.2 apps like camera and gallery, etc...) they will be lost as you are overwriting your system partition to factory stock. Please make sure to do the needful with your mods before following this guide (for example resetting the Google Wallet app).

Step 1 - Preparation

1. Download and Install Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
  2. Download and extract ODIN v3.07 - Link
  3. Download and extract the correct Factory Image below (modified with No-Wipe):

Step 2 - Flashing Factory Image

• Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
  • Flash the Factory Image using ODIN v3.07 ***in PDA section only*** (See here for guide on flashing)
  • You should now be able to boot back to Android and all your data should be intact exactly as it was

Step 3 - Restoring Root (Optional)

Step 4 - Restoring Custom Recovery (VRUAMDK Build only!)

• Make sure you are rooted first
  • For official TWRP Recovery follow the steps in this thread (or download from Goomanager): Link Here
  • For official ClockworkMod Recovery just download ROM Manager app and install from there
  • For CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here
  • For OUDHS Gesture Touch CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here

Credits

Credit goes to sextape for providing the original VRUAMDK Stock Firmware (Original Source)
Credit goes to mrRobinson for assisting to modify cache file (via PM)
Credit goes to alexcolodner for providing filehosting (via PM)

Last edited:

Elvis_Marmaduke

May 14, 2010
San Jose
is this good for restoring to factory for insurance purposes? My s4 has a defect and I have to take it back in to get a replacement :-/

Elvis_Marmaduke

May 14, 2010
San Jose
It didn't put me on stock recovery so i was still getting that unlocked bootloader thingie, but I found a stock recovery and it worked like a charm, thanks a lot :)

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
It didn't put me on stock recovery so i was still getting that unlocked bootloader thingie, but I found a stock recovery and it worked like a charm, thanks a lot :)

Ahh I knew I forgot something. Simple fix, I'll get the new one up either tonight or tomorrow. For now you can probably consider it a good thing you don't have to reflash recovery if you're trying to keep data. :good:

android-incredible

Apr 23, 2011

tZcIGE4.jpg

Description: This is a guide (based similar to my previous guide for the Verizon Galaxy S III) that will help you flash a 99.9% stock factory image for the Verizon Galaxy S4 overwriting every partition on the device back to stock. The ONLY major change I have made is for your convenience I have modified the factory image to keep all your data/apps/settings and internal storage partition intact. This method should help you restore from any soft-brick that you may encounter without having to wipe your data.

Minor Warning: Please note that if you had any special mods that you had to manually flash before or move on the system partition (like Google Wallet, AOSP 4.2 apps like camera and gallery, etc...) they will be lost as you are overwriting your system partition to factory stock. Please make sure to do the needful with your mods before following this guide (for example resetting the Google Wallet app).

Step 1 - Preparation

Step 2 - Flashing VRUAMDK Factory Image

Step 3 - Restoring Custom Recovery (Optional)

Credits

Credit goes to sextape for providing the original VRUAMDK Stock Firmware (Original Source)
after the step 3 do i have to do this
Step 4 - Restoring VRUAMDK Stock Kernel

Quote:

Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
Flash the VRUAMDK Stock Kernel using ODIN v3.07 ***in PDA section only*** (See here for guide on flashing)
Boot back to Android and verifying everything is still working and kernel has flashed successfully
After your phone boots back to Android, you should now be fully rooted and on the fully original stock firmware as the device came

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
after the step 3 do i have to do this
Step 4 - Restoring VRUAMDK Stock Kernel

Quote:

Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
Flash the VRUAMDK Stock Kernel using ODIN v3.07 ***in PDA section only*** (See here for guide on flashing)
Boot back to Android and verifying everything is still working and kernel has flashed successfully
After your phone boots back to Android, you should now be fully rooted and on the fully original stock firmware as the device came

Please kindly do not quote the entire post. Also I believe you're referring to my root thread in which case yes you should, but please keep posts related in that thread instead.

azz72

May 4, 2011
NJ
Hello will this method work wit the s4 att phone... Plz say it will work I got myself in a jam...thanks

joeyx2

Sep 30, 2010
please help! im getting a compressed folder is invalid or corruted when trying to extract the file. i have tried to re download and get the same thing.

edit: the factory extract tool sucks. thanks 7zip

Last edited:

android-incredible

Apr 23, 2011
I was talking about no wipe factory image.and i was confuse with this process,because after the step 3 l wasnt sure if i have to go to the step 4.

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Hello will this method work wit the s4 att phone... Plz say it will work I got myself in a jam...thanks

May want to check with the dev who posted the AT&T firmware to make one. This is Verizon only!

I was talking about no wipe factory image.and i was confuse with this process,because after the step 3 l wasnt sure if i have to go to the step 4.

Steps 3 and 4 in this thread are optional only if you're trying to restore root and custom recovery again and you had it before or just want it for the first time. If you don't know, may want to read up on it in the thread. Probably don't need it for now.

android-incredible

Apr 23, 2011
I dont have to do it now,my problem was with a custom rom,after install the custom rom the phone reboot with the padlock,i was trying to get rid of the pad lock reinstallig the goomanager and no luck,what i did was restore my nandrood backup and the padlock gone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

tZcIGE4.jpg

Step 1 - Preparation

1. Download and Install Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
    2. Download and extract ODIN v3.07 - Link
    3. Download and extract the correct Factory Image below (modified with No-Wipe):

Step 2 - Flashing Factory Image

• Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
    • Flash the Factory Image using ODIN v3.07 ***in PDA section only*** (See here for guide on flashing)
    • You should now be able to boot back to Android and all your data should be intact exactly as it was

Step 4 - Restoring Custom Recovery (VRUAMDK Build only!)

• Make sure you are rooted first
    • For official TWRP Recovery follow the steps in this thread (or download from Goomanager): Link Here
    • For official ClockworkMod Recovery just download ROM Manager app and install from there
    • For CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here
    • For OUDHS Gesture Touch CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here

Credits

Is there a way to flash this via safestrap on stock slot and not have to odin?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Unfortunately not, this is a full factory image (not just a ROM), it will wipe away Safestrap as well since Safestrap is a mod (not data though like apps and such). You will be able to install Safestrap after rooting it however.
    Spent hours trying to unbrick my phone. If you cannot boot past Samsung or Verizon logo then you have corrupted data. THIS WILL HAPPEN EVEN AFTER restoring with Odin. You need to go into recovery and wipe data/factory reset. I swear I couldn't get into recovery for the life of me, but I was doing it wrong. Volume Up + Home + Power will do it. If you do not also have the home button pressed it will act like its going into recovery but never make it.
    my galaxy s4 is still stuck on the tmobile 4g lte boot screen please help??

this is the Verizon section, is there nothing in the T-Mobile area for this?

This is what I used yesterday. Worked perfectly.

http://droidviews.com/2013/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-samsung-galaxy-s4-gt-i9500-gt-i9505/

Ahh I knew I forgot something. Simple fix, I'll get the new one up either tonight or tomorrow. For now you can probably consider it a good thing you don't have to reflash recovery if you're trying to keep data. :good: