[TUT] [NEWBIE GUIDE] [04 Feb 2010] Graphical Questions & Answers: flashing ROM & HSPL

Search This thread

rzasharp

Dec 15, 2009
Paris
[TUT] [NEWBIE GUIDE] [04 Feb 2010] Graphical Questions & Answers: flashing ROM & HSPL

HTC HD2: Graphical Questions & Answers for HSPL & flashing ROMs

As a (two months old) newbie, I just made a little graphic FAQ, to better understand the existing tutorial threads about HSPL and flashing Cooked ROMs. I believe it can very rapidly answers many newbie questions.

Part 1: Mini-Glossary

ROM (not to be confused with RAM, duh!)= Basically its the program that runs your phone. It includes the Windows Mobile (OS) + HTC Sense interface + Radio (not to be confused with FM Radio, duh!).

RAM = Random-access memory = The more RAM you have, the better you can launch and use programs at the same time (the so called "multitasking"). Its an hardware component that you are not able to change on a smartphone (as opposed to a computer, where you can buy and physically add more RAM). But... American T-Mobile HD2 will officially have 576 Mb of RAM. European HD2 officially has 448 Mb of RAM, which is already a lot, but the 2.06.50.4 or 2.07.50.27_2 radios seem to unlock extra RAM to a full 576 Mb, on some leaked ROMS.

OS = Operating System = The engine that controls the computer side of your HD2, meaning . Currently, all stock ROMs come with Windows Mobile 6.5 on HD2, but Microsoft is about to launch Windows Mobile 6.6, previously called 6.5.3 (maybe on March 2010) and Windows Mobile 7 (maybe late 2010 or early 2011). WM 6.6 will definitely be ported to HD2, but nobody knows for sure if WM 7 will be. Leaked version of 6.5.3 are already part of many cooked ROMs. It improves the use of Windows Mobile with touchscreens (understand: larger icons & larger menus).

Radio (not to be confused with FM Radio, duh!) = The program engine that controls the wireless connections of your HD2, meaning phone signal reception (GSM), data connections (2G, 3G, GPRS, HSDPA...), navigation (GPS), wifi and bluetooth. It also controls sound and camera. It is part of official ROMs and is issued by HTC. Radio version must be compatible with OS to work properly. It subsequently changes (improve or worsen) your battery life. You can actually install a specific radio without installing a whole ROM. You will need to use HSPL first, of course. You'll find all official and leaked Radio for HD2 in this thread. It has also be proven here that installing the 2.06.50.4 or 2.07.50.27_2 Radios can somehow "unlock" the full use of 576 Mb or RAM, instead of standard 448 Mb. No other radio (older or newer) has that ability. Note that the radio has to be installed along with some patch on the ROM to make it work.

Stock ROM = Shipped ROM = Official ROM available from the HTC website. Note that they are "region protected", so you can't install a stock ROM from another country or region, unless you HSPL your device. The same goes for the Official Hotfixes, they are also "region protected".

Carrier ROM = Official ROM designed by a carrier (T-mobile, Orange, Telstra, Vodafone, O²...), based on stock ROM, but slightly changed to install specific softwares or modify default softwares. Usually, these ROMs do not necessarily give better performances, but carriers design them to enable some specific uses on their network. Note that it is absolutely not necessary to have a carrier ROM to be able to use a specific network. Anyone can buy a SIM-unlock HD2, insert any SIM card and in during the first start, it will automatically download basic parameters to enable phone calls, SMS/MMS messages, data connection and so forth. You'll still need to enter the right parameters to enable email though.

Leaked ROM = Official ROM made by HTC, but not officially released and not completely debugged. You can call them "beta" versions. Even though HTC did not performed enough testing to make sure theses ROMs are bug-free, they are usually very useful for everyday use. When they get official released, they are eventually more stable and up-to-date. Oh, and how did they find their way on internet? Well, internet ways, like those celebrity sextapes :).

Cooked ROM = Custom ROM = ROM designed by someone ("experienced users"), usually based on stock ROM, but slightly changed to get better performances (tweaks, changed radio, changed Windows Mobile version) or prettier interface (example: changed sense interface, modified icons etc).

Chiefs = Cookers = it's the way we call people ("experienced users") who design cooked ROMs.

Install a ROM = Flash a ROM = Replacing one ROM by another. Note that this process will erase all your personal data stocked on the intern memory (contacts, calendar entries, SMS, MMS, emails, documents, photos, music, videos), but it will not erase any data stocked on the SD card. This is why you need to backup your personal data, using ActiveSync or, better, PIM backup and move your photos/music/videos to the storage SD card.

SPL = Secondary Program Loader... Read this to learn more or this for easier answer.
- How to check the SPL version I have? Answer: Enter the bootloader!
- How do I enter the bootloader? Answer: While your device is running, hold the Volume Down button and do a softreset.
- How do I exit the bootloader? Answer: Remove the battery cover and press the (red) Reset button using a sharp object, like a pen.

HSPL = HardSPL = Better and secured method to enable the flashing of cooked ROMs. Read this for more explanations

SSPL = SoftSPL = Older and less secured method to enable the flashing of cooked ROMs. Read this for more explanations

Goldcard = Advanced method to enable the flashing of stock ROMs from another country or region. It's not an easy method for newbie (and even for advanced users) and it's not free!

Part 2: Should I flash another ROM?

3-should-i-flash-another-ROM.jpg

Discussion about the latest stock 1.66 ROM here in XDA.

Videos from Pocketnow.com about features of Windows Mobile 6.5.3

Videos from Phonescoop about features of Windows Mobile 6.5.3

Videos from Pocketnow.com about Landscape features of Manila

Videos from Pocketnow.com about New Document Tab of Manila

Part 3: What does HSPL enable?

1-I-own-an HD2.jpg

Part 4: What should I consider before installing HSPL?

2-I-want-to-install-HSPL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: azinfar

rzasharp

Dec 15, 2009
Paris
How do I install HSPL ? How do I flash a cooked ROM?

It's quite an easy procedure, even for newbies. Read these:

Flashing your First GSM LEO Rom: complete guide. Credits: mskip and [★]

The Complete HSPL Video Guide. Credits: [★]

Things I still don't know

Please, help me complete this graphical FAQ. If you find some inexact piece of information, just point it out, please. Can somebody answer the following questions ?

- Any solution to reinstall HSPL on SPL 2.00 phones ? Answer: NO or NOT YET
ANSWER: see this post

- Any free solution to backup a carrier ROM before going through the HSPL process?
ANSWER: see this thread

XDA Information & Sources: more information there!

Sources are these threads (thanks to the contributors)

XDA Wifi for HTC HD2: always a good place to start

HowTo flash everything: the guide to HSPL. Credits: DarkForces Team, bepe & Cotulla. These are the guys who made HSPL possible, much respect!

The HTC HD2 Radio ROM Thread. Credits: kholk

Official HTC Information

Official ROM & Hotfixes on HTC (Europe) website

HTC Official Manual User Guide for HD2: A full 310-page in every languages. They did not produce such a manual for nothing, did they?

HTC Official FAQ For HD2: Don't forget to click on "Choose Category" for more questions & answers.

HTC Official "How-to" Guides For HD2

Email for HTC Customer Service: Send them an email through this form.

Hotlines of HTC Customer Service: Phone number for most countries here.

Warning! HTC does provide a lot of very useful information if most languages. As a newbie, you should read it carefully. Only if the information seems incomplete or inappropriate, should you address questions to this forum. Note that you won't find anything on HSPL, since they don't want you to unlock the device! Actually, HSPL is not illegal, but it voids your warranty, so you need to remove it and flash a stock ROM before addressing your device to a customer service. Don't even you flash some cooked ROMs on it! Don't even mention you installed HSPL on it!

Change Log

2010-01-31: Sticked and loving it. This is great recognition of my work!!! Great thanks to the moderator responsible for it.

2010-02-01
- Graphics completed thanks to mskip! See this post
- Added "Official HTC information" chapter
- Added "Warning"
- Updated Mini-Glossary: Leaked ROM, Operating System, Radio

2010-02-04
- Added Graphic "Part 2: Should I flash a newer ROM ?"
- Previous graphics have been renamed to Part 3 and Part 4

2010-02-08
- Information about the fact that 2.06.50.04 or 2.07.50.27_2 radios can unlock the full 576Mb is combined with some patch on the ROM

Last edited:

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
Hi, good guide, im sure it will be well used.

Re: Goldcard. The guys who wrote QMAT, which we used to use for goldcards (not for the leo) stopped development because it had been hacked. They recently released a new version, called PSAS which can make goldcards for leo, but its not free. It can be found at revskills.de

Re: spl 2.0... deleted due to inaccuracy

Re: Backing up current rom in case you don't have a stock rom available.
This
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=427507
thread will get you started, though it is for the raphael, not the leo, so its not a 'by the numbers' how-to. It's not really an option for non technical types.

Re:flashing through activesync - will not reset spl, regardless of the rom you are flashing

Re:flashing cooked roms from sd card. (not sure about this, but..) i dont think most cooked roms come with spl in them, so they wont overwrite hspl, only official ones will.

Please someone tell me if i'm wrong, always happy to be corrected.

edit - just spotted an error, in part 2, the green box down the left hand side, above it it says 1.42.6666 then in the green box says HSPL is installed,,, 1.42.6666 should read 1.42.HSPL

Last edited:

mcguirestick

Feb 18, 2008
London
Great guide...but there is one situation you missed out, which sadly i am trying, so far unsuccessfully, to work through.

I have Hspl'd my phone and put in a cooked rom...All was fine but then the phone just would not power up....no matter what i do it will not power up in any way, so cannot return it to SPL, and so I will have a problem when i send it back, due to there being a fault somewhere in the power circuitry of the phone.

We are all stuck with this issue until someone finds a way around leaving the SPL on...Is that even possible?

This is not a software issue but bad luck due to getting a duff phone.

I have had loads of HTC's and this is the first i have ever had a problem with. I guess that is the small risk one takes with new models.

rzasharp

Dec 15, 2009
Paris
Hi, good guide, im sure it will be well used.

Re: Goldcard. The guys who wrote QMAT, which we used to use for goldcards (not for the leo) stopped development because it had been hacked. They recently released a new version, called PSAS which can make goldcards for leo, but its not free. It can be found at revskills.de

OK, thanks for the info. Not an easy path to go for newbies (like myself...). And since it's not free, I might as well stick to HSPL, if I have the choice. Added to the graph.

Re: spl 2.0... I'm "almost" certain that using an sd card (not goldcard) flash of the correct stock rom that contains the 1.42 spl will overwrite the 2.0 spl and downgrade it to 1.42, but i wouldn't bet my life on it, just a hand full of notes.

Well look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=609477&page=28. It is said that you cannot overwrite the 2.0 SPL.

Re: Backing up current rom in case you don't have a stock rom available.
This
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=427507
thread will get you started, though it is for the raphael, not the leo, so its not a 'by the numbers' how-to. It's not really an option for non technical types.

Definitely not an easy path for a newbie :) I guess people will have to check if they can find their carrier official ROM before going in the HSPL process, if they are the anxious type...

Re:flashing through activesync - will not reset spl, regardless of the rom you are flashing

Re:flashing cooked roms from sd card. (not sure about this, but..) i dont think most cooked roms come with spl in them, so they wont overwrite hspl, only official ones will.

Someone can back this up ?

edit - just spotted an error, in part 2, the green box down the left hand side, above it it says 1.42.6666 then in the green box says HSPL is installed,,, 1.42.6666 should read 1.42.HSPL

Corrected, thanks!

Last edited:

rzasharp

Dec 15, 2009
Paris
Great guide...but there is one situation you missed out, which sadly i am trying, so far unsuccessfully, to work through.

I have Hspl'd my phone and put in a cooked rom...All was fine but then the phone just would not power up....no matter what i do it will not power up in any way, so cannot return it to SPL, and so I will have a problem when i send it back, due to there being a fault somewhere in the power circuitry of the phone.

We are all stuck with this issue until someone finds a way around leaving the SPL on...Is that even possible?

This is not a software issue but bad luck due to getting a duff phone.

I have had loads of HTC's and this is the first i have ever had a problem with. I guess that is the small risk one takes with new models.

Ho, sorry dude (or may I say: désolé pour toi !). Unfortunately, I really don't have any solution for you. You point out something important for any Newbie Guide, it is: it's best to play around with the phone for some weeks before going through the HSPL process. Just to make sure the hardware is not faulty...

jchoong

Jun 10, 2008
Singapore
rzasharp, great flow chart; makes it so much easier for newbies to flash cooked ROMs.

mcguirestick, a few weeks ago, I believe I had a similar situation as yours. If I can remember correctly, what I did was to take a stock 1.48 ROM (from my region), extracted the ruu_signed.nbh and then renamed it to LEOIMG.nbh and copied this to my SD card. Then I flashed using the SD card method, and my HD2 fired up and got flashed back to stock. I had to HSPL again before I could flash any new custom ROMs

Fame123

Sep 28, 2009
Hi

This is a great thread, a brilliant guide for the myself and the rest of the newbies. Thank you very much rzasharp.

Much appreciated

Keep up the the good work.

sglotov

Jul 21, 2006
HSPL before SIM unlock

Is it possible to install HSPL _before_ SIM unlock? As I see on the picture, it seems to be possible...

rzasharp

Dec 15, 2009
Paris
Is it possible to install HSPL _before_ SIM unlock? As I see on the picture, it seems to be possible...

It is possible, but you are not obliged to SIM-unlock a phone before going through the HSPL.
As samsmuel said, These are two completely separated procedures and one is not necessary for the other.

HSPL/rom flashing and sim unlock are completely seperate. FLashing roms will not sim unlock your phone. They are not connected, you cacn unlock after hspl, or before, whenever.

Thanks for the quick answer!

rzasharp

Dec 15, 2009
Paris
Change Log

Change Log
- Added "Warning"

Thanks to mskip for the following information.

Only flashing via microSD Card will change the SPL back to stock regardless of which rom you flash.

Flashing any v2 Rom via microSD card will change the SPL to 2 and stop you from being able to flash HardSPL back. Your only course of action to flash a custom rom would be to flash via SSPL which doesnt give you the same protection but does allow you to flash custom roms (but not stock roms or radios)

I think goldcarding can still be done by the same people but its not free anymore. Until a HardSPL v2 is released which I dont know if there are even plans to do it, theres no possibility to put HardSPL back on with SPL 2.

Yes people have used that site to sim unlock their devices and received codes quite quickly. No free way to sim unlock at the moment though.

Done :)

HSKalay

Nov 17, 2009
I think there should be a little warning about flashing ROMS, can start to cause hard resets.

Because if I knew that, I probably wouldn't of started flashing ROMS at the moment.

MTTY didn't work for me either, or make a difference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How do I install HSPL ? How do I flash a cooked ROM?

It's quite an easy procedure, even for newbies. Read these:

Things I still don't know

Please, help me complete this graphical FAQ. If you find some inexact piece of information, just point it out, please. Can somebody answer the following questions ?

- Any solution to reinstall HSPL on SPL 2.00 phones ? Answer: NO or NOT YET
    ANSWER: see this post

- Any free solution to backup a carrier ROM before going through the HSPL process?
    ANSWER: see this thread

XDA Information & Sources: more information there!

Sources are these threads (thanks to the contributors)

XDA Wifi for HTC HD2: always a good place to start

HowTo flash everything: the guide to HSPL. Credits: DarkForces Team, bepe & Cotulla. These are the guys who made HSPL possible, much respect!

The HTC HD2 Radio ROM Thread. Credits: kholk

Official HTC Information

Official ROM & Hotfixes on HTC (Europe) website

HTC Official Manual User Guide for HD2: A full 310-page in every languages. They did not produce such a manual for nothing, did they?

HTC Official FAQ For HD2: Don't forget to click on "Choose Category" for more questions & answers.

HTC Official "How-to" Guides For HD2

Email for HTC Customer Service: Send them an email through this form.

Hotlines of HTC Customer Service: Phone number for most countries here.

Warning! HTC does provide a lot of very useful information if most languages. As a newbie, you should read it carefully. Only if the information seems incomplete or inappropriate, should you address questions to this forum. Note that you won't find anything on HSPL, since they don't want you to unlock the device! Actually, HSPL is not illegal, but it voids your warranty, so you need to remove it and flash a stock ROM before addressing your device to a customer service. Don't even you flash some cooked ROMs on it! Don't even mention you installed HSPL on it!

Change Log

2010-01-31: Sticked and loving it. This is great recognition of my work!!! Great thanks to the moderator responsible for it.

2010-02-01
    - Added "Warning"

2010-02-04
    - Added Graphic "Part 2: Should I flash a newer ROM ?"
    - Previous graphics have been renamed to Part 3 and Part 4

2010-02-08
    - Information about the fact that 2.06.50.04 or 2.07.50.27_2 radios can unlock the full 576Mb is combined with some patch on the ROM

HTC HD2: Graphical Questions & Answers for HSPL & flashing ROMs

As a (two months old) newbie, I just made a little graphic FAQ, to better understand the existing tutorial threads about HSPL and flashing Cooked ROMs. I believe it can very rapidly answers many newbie questions.

Part 1: Mini-Glossary

ROM (not to be confused with RAM, duh!)= Basically its the program that runs your phone. It includes the Windows Mobile (OS) + HTC Sense interface + Radio (not to be confused with FM Radio, duh!).

RAM = Random-access memory = The more RAM you have, the better you can launch and use programs at the same time (the so called "multitasking"). Its an hardware component that you are not able to change on a smartphone (as opposed to a computer, where you can buy and physically add more RAM). But... American T-Mobile HD2 will officially have 576 Mb of RAM. European HD2 officially has 448 Mb of RAM, which is already a lot, but the 2.06.50.4 or 2.07.50.27_2 radios seem to unlock extra RAM to a full 576 Mb, on some leaked ROMS.

OS = Operating System = The engine that controls the computer side of your HD2, meaning . Currently, all stock ROMs come with Windows Mobile 6.5 on HD2, but Microsoft is about to launch Windows Mobile 6.6, previously called 6.5.3 (maybe on March 2010) and Windows Mobile 7 (maybe late 2010 or early 2011). WM 6.6 will definitely be ported to HD2, but nobody knows for sure if WM 7 will be. Leaked version of 6.5.3 are already part of many cooked ROMs. It improves the use of Windows Mobile with touchscreens (understand: larger icons & larger menus).

Radio (not to be confused with FM Radio, duh!) = The program engine that controls the wireless connections of your HD2, meaning phone signal reception (GSM), data connections (2G, 3G, GPRS, HSDPA...), navigation (GPS), wifi and bluetooth. It also controls sound and camera. It is part of official ROMs and is issued by HTC. Radio version must be compatible with OS to work properly. It subsequently changes (improve or worsen) your battery life. You can actually install a specific radio without installing a whole ROM. You will need to use HSPL first, of course. You'll find all official and leaked Radio for HD2 in this thread. It has also be proven here that installing the 2.06.50.4 or 2.07.50.27_2 Radios can somehow "unlock" the full use of 576 Mb or RAM, instead of standard 448 Mb. No other radio (older or newer) has that ability. Note that the radio has to be installed along with some patch on the ROM to make it work.

Stock ROM = Shipped ROM = Official ROM available from the HTC website. Note that they are "region protected", so you can't install a stock ROM from another country or region, unless you HSPL your device. The same goes for the Official Hotfixes, they are also "region protected".

Carrier ROM = Official ROM designed by a carrier (T-mobile, Orange, Telstra, Vodafone, O²...), based on stock ROM, but slightly changed to install specific softwares or modify default softwares. Usually, these ROMs do not necessarily give better performances, but carriers design them to enable some specific uses on their network. Note that it is absolutely not necessary to have a carrier ROM to be able to use a specific network. Anyone can buy a SIM-unlock HD2, insert any SIM card and in during the first start, it will automatically download basic parameters to enable phone calls, SMS/MMS messages, data connection and so forth. You'll still need to enter the right parameters to enable email though.

Leaked ROM = Official ROM made by HTC, but not officially released and not completely debugged. You can call them "beta" versions. Even though HTC did not performed enough testing to make sure theses ROMs are bug-free, they are usually very useful for everyday use. When they get official released, they are eventually more stable and up-to-date. Oh, and how did they find their way on internet? Well, internet ways, like those celebrity sextapes :).

Cooked ROM = Custom ROM = ROM designed by someone ("experienced users"), usually based on stock ROM, but slightly changed to get better performances (tweaks, changed radio, changed Windows Mobile version) or prettier interface (example: changed sense interface, modified icons etc).

Chiefs = Cookers = it's the way we call people ("experienced users") who design cooked ROMs.

Install a ROM = Flash a ROM = Replacing one ROM by another. Note that this process will erase all your personal data stocked on the intern memory (contacts, calendar entries, SMS, MMS, emails, documents, photos, music, videos), but it will not erase any data stocked on the SD card. This is why you need to backup your personal data, using ActiveSync or, better, PIM backup and move your photos/music/videos to the storage SD card.

SPL = Secondary Program Loader... Read this to learn more or this for easier answer.
    - How to check the SPL version I have? Answer: Enter the bootloader!
    - How do I enter the bootloader? Answer: While your device is running, hold the Volume Down button and do a softreset.
    - How do I exit the bootloader? Answer: Remove the battery cover and press the (red) Reset button using a sharp object, like a pen.

HSPL = HardSPL = Better and secured method to enable the flashing of cooked ROMs. Read this for more explanations

SSPL = SoftSPL = Older and less secured method to enable the flashing of cooked ROMs. Read this for more explanations

Goldcard = Advanced method to enable the flashing of stock ROMs from another country or region. It's not an easy method for newbie (and even for advanced users) and it's not free!

Part 2: Should I flash another ROM?

3-should-i-flash-another-ROM.jpg

Discussion about the latest stock 1.66 ROM here in XDA.

Videos from Pocketnow.com about features of Windows Mobile 6.5.3

Videos from Phonescoop about features of Windows Mobile 6.5.3

Videos from Pocketnow.com about Landscape features of Manila

Videos from Pocketnow.com about New Document Tab of Manila

Part 3: What does HSPL enable?

1-I-own-an HD2.jpg

Part 4: What should I consider before installing HSPL?

2-I-want-to-install-HSPL.jpg