[APP] NubDial - Smart Dialer for Android

Search This thread

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
Hi all,

This project started out as my basic mod of SpellDial (by Lawrence Greenfield, thanks for making it open-source) initially, but I've since made quite a number of changes to it.

It is now able to search by both name and number, and you can always use the "#" key to denote a space. Most of the other changes I made are under the hood, but I've attached a few screenshots so you know what you're getting.

Lastly, there are a couple of bugs, among them I believe it only works properly with Nexus One. I've yet to finish up all the mdpi images, and I've also not updated the code for SDK3/4 and below (Cupcake, Donut).

Download: Search "NubDial" on the Android Market.
Source: http://code.google.com/p/nubdial/

Request/Help Needed:
I hope that this will become a community project (but I doubt I'll be able to do much since sch's getting really bz), and would appreciate if someone could come up with a nicer design that still fits the Android look :). If you have, please post your mock-up or send them to me :), actual 9-patch/images will be awesome.

Change Log:
1.82:
Added patch by seidler2547 to support accented characters.
Added patch by qingcai to speed up performance (I changed the delay slightly).
Should not show up on Donut/Cupcake Markets anymore.

1.81:
Fixed another FC bug. Thanks to xiutian for running the test version and providing me with logs :)!

1.8:
Fixed a FC bug when searching for some contacts.

1.7:
Added pref to auto-hide the dialpad on fling action :).
Also, fling up/down on the dialpad to show/hide it.

1.6:
QuickContacts picture :)

1.51:
Fixed hyphen bug again.

1.5:
Added "Add to contacts" to Menu options
Highlighting now works across dashes (Please report)
Able to set as default Dial app now (Tested with SMS widget)
Enabled fast scroll for the contacts list (similar to default contacts, you've the fat tab to hold and drag down)

1.4:
Fixes a regression bug with name matching
*Should* fix hyphen bug

1.3:
Added preference to match any number sequence, not just from the start

1.2:
Bug fixes

1.1/1.0:
I forgot :p

To Do:
Add menus to go Contacts/Logs/Favourites
Add 2-sec pause/etc.
Implement features to Donut/Cupcake (Low-priority)

Known Bugs:
Long pressing on menu for the soft keyboard messes up the layout. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: Istvan_86

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
You're fast. I normally post once when there's a lot of stuff already before I edit it to add more :p. Link's up :).

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
You're fast. I normally post once when there's a lot of stuff already before I edit it to add more :p. Link's up :).

Haha I actually JUST happened to be checking the forums (which I don't check so often). Looking good and I just tested it out on the Market. Smooth so far, but after a call ends it unfortunately does not go back to the app, but instead it goes to the stock Dialer. I know that's probably difficult to intertwine and you're aware, but just thought I'd post about it!

JPongco

May 24, 2009
a good start

Wysie,

I've been following your development of the contacts apk and now this t9 dialer is adds function not currently available on stock dialer. A good start.

Is there any way to merge this dialer into the stock nexus one phone app?

Jonathan

codington

Sep 12, 2009
KunShan, JiangSu, PRC
Nice idea. I would like to see this tool rolled into your Wycontacts Eclair apk.

Some quick feedback - I am getting FC when searching for a number/contact that either begins with 2 (ABC) or 6 (MNO). This is repeatable and happens every time. I have rebooted and still get FC whenever the 2 or 6 are entered first. Searching with the other keys works as expected. Can I send you any log files that might help in remedying this? My sig has the ROM and kernel details for reference.

MrADeveci

Mar 3, 2009
www.mradeveci.com
Great work .... but can you do the following?

1) Change the icon to represent the standard Dialler Icon?
2) Have the option within the dialler to goto the other tabs, or better still implement this into the standard dialler?

Thanks for your work !

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
Hi guys, thanks for the support and comments.

Integrating into the system Contacts app is definitely possible, but I'm afraid I lack the time to do that. Moreover it's not high on my priority list.

I made the icon, so nope, not gonna change it :p. Sorry.

Check out my to do for what's coming next, as well as currently known bugs (would be good if someone can propose a fix).

That's all. Updated a new version to Market which fixes some minor bugs.

Jan 10, 2010
Warsaw
A new icon would be nice. Don't get me wrong, but the current one looks strange. You've made a great app, why spoil it with a fugly icon?

Anyway, it would be great if the app searched contact numbers with wildcards, i.e. if I have a number with an international code (+44xxxxxxxxx), I could search it without having to enter +44.

mgear356

Jun 13, 2008
bro wonderful stuff!
feels good using sg products..

May I add in some suggestions to make it even better...
- Add Speeddial (long press a number to dial a assigned contact?)
- Give options to show default number only and hide the rest
- integrate with call log

if all these is made possible, I will uninstall acontacts and use yrs =)

RonnieFoxxx

Sep 18, 2009
Los Angeles
request

Wysie. awesome work but i have one request. it seems it does not find any sequence of digits, it has to search from the begining of each number. when i remeber numbers i dont start with the area code first (as i assume many people dont) so this app would be perfect if it searched for the sequence in any part of the numbers. once again, beautiful app i would pay for it if it had this feature. (and maybe a nicer icon that matched the 2.1 stock ui a little better)

1951 360-5555
insead of
1951 360-5555

i feel like i made zero sense here i hope i got through. lol

Last edited:

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
To filter out country code at the start is something I want to do but have yet to think of...

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
Just uploaded 1.3 on the Market which has an option to allow searching from anywhere in the number :). Does not filter by country code, it simply matches any subsequence of numbers.

Last edited:

scote

Mar 30, 2007
the prefix issue is how caller id matching works for incoming calls, only the last 6 or 7 digits of the number is searched for.

I am not sure you would want this on a dialer though? for example sometimes I cant remember a name but i can remember the town and therefore dialling code eg tradesmen in the town where my holiday home is so on my winmo phone i would type in just the dialing code to bring a list of contacts in that area.

Anyway I stopped putting in the international prefix on numbers now, the last few times i went abroad it seems that the networks are smart enough to know your roaming and where your have roamed from so no need of idd prefix when dialing back to your home country.

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
A new icon would be nice. Don't get me wrong, but the current one looks strange. You've made a great app, why spoil it with a fugly icon?

Anyway, it would be great if the app searched contact numbers with wildcards, i.e. if I have a number with an international code (+44xxxxxxxxx), I could search it without having to enter +44.

Sorry wysie but im with this guy, I would love to use this as my replacement default dialer but putting this on my homescreen makes it pretty ugly. Looks like a game of sudoku tbh lol trying atm to change the icon with bettercut but having problems.

PAO1908

Nov 8, 2008
Near zurich
very nice update, I just wanted to login here to the forum to suggest to you that it searches anywhere in the number :)
Thank you very much.

Another suggestion: Is it possible to integrate contact picture ? That would be superb ;)

Thanks again for all your work.

illojal

Feb 4, 2010
Bug report x2:

My Nexus One uses US locale I think but all my numbers are saved as +4670155778 etc. So when the first hyphen appears it'll throw the search off as it appear to search with the added hyphen.

Also, when having language code in numbers (as all my numbers have) you remove the leading zero: +4670155778 is actually 070155778. Please have it match a search for 070155778 as 70155778 to fix this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

This project started out as my basic mod of SpellDial (by Lawrence Greenfield, thanks for making it open-source) initially, but I've since made quite a number of changes to it.

It is now able to search by both name and number, and you can always use the "#" key to denote a space. Most of the other changes I made are under the hood, but I've attached a few screenshots so you know what you're getting.

Lastly, there are a couple of bugs, among them I believe it only works properly with Nexus One. I've yet to finish up all the mdpi images, and I've also not updated the code for SDK3/4 and below (Cupcake, Donut).

Download: Search "NubDial" on the Android Market.
    Source: http://code.google.com/p/nubdial/

Request/Help Needed:
    I hope that this will become a community project (but I doubt I'll be able to do much since sch's getting really bz), and would appreciate if someone could come up with a nicer design that still fits the Android look :). If you have, please post your mock-up or send them to me :), actual 9-patch/images will be awesome.

Change Log:
    1.82:
    Added patch by seidler2547 to support accented characters.
    Added patch by qingcai to speed up performance (I changed the delay slightly).
    Should not show up on Donut/Cupcake Markets anymore.

1.81:
    Fixed another FC bug. Thanks to xiutian for running the test version and providing me with logs :)!

1.8:
    Fixed a FC bug when searching for some contacts.

1.7:
    Added pref to auto-hide the dialpad on fling action :).
    Also, fling up/down on the dialpad to show/hide it.

1.6:
    QuickContacts picture :)

1.51:
    Fixed hyphen bug again.

1.5:
    Added "Add to contacts" to Menu options
    Highlighting now works across dashes (Please report)
    Able to set as default Dial app now (Tested with SMS widget)
    Enabled fast scroll for the contacts list (similar to default contacts, you've the fat tab to hold and drag down)

1.4:
    Fixes a regression bug with name matching
    *Should* fix hyphen bug

1.3:
    Added preference to match any number sequence, not just from the start

1.2:
    Bug fixes

1.1/1.0:
    I forgot :p

To Do:
    Add menus to go Contacts/Logs/Favourites
    Add 2-sec pause/etc.
    Implement features to Donut/Cupcake (Low-priority)

Known Bugs:
    Long pressing on menu for the soft keyboard messes up the layout. Any ideas?