Random reboots?

Search This thread

darkcloud784

Apr 26, 2011
First off I want to start by saying I have flashed my rom to Bamf 1.5 remix. I do not overclock my phone however I have tried limiting my clockspeed hoping to prevent a reboot. The phone did not start the random reboot until I flashed to said rom. I have tried reflashing but no improvements, any ideas?

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

engagedtosmile

Mar 28, 2009
It has happened to me but I believe it just me OCing, flashing back to the kernel that I was using before when my phone was stable and testing it out. If not, I will just go back to 1.5

Also, does anyone know how to edit the power control widgets in the pulldown? I can't find any options. Thanks.

eschelon

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 20, 2009
Did you flash the new radio when you loaded up BAMF 1.5?

If so, there's your problem

Mystery252

Dec 6, 2010
Happened to me with BAMF 1.6 and leankernel 192X, but only when I set it to ondemandX thru SETCPU. Other than that I've had no reboots.

sent from my BAMF Thunderbolt!

blazednova

Mar 13, 2011
Did you flash the new radio when you loaded up BAMF 1.5?

If so, there's your problem

^^
yeah its pretty common for people who flashed the new radio to have reboots. i have had some of those issues, i found that using different kernels at different clocking speeds made my phone more stable. NOTE: i am not a pro, just something i noticed.

m00nshake

Jun 7, 2010
North Carolina
What's really behind all the random reboots?

OK... So I've tried just about every rom on the dev thread, I purchased the TB on launch date and had it rooted as soon as Jcase posted S-off instructions... I am now on the new radio and until today, I haven't had a single random reboot. Then all of a sudden, just about an hour ago, as I'm backing out of Tapatalk, bam... Phone rebooted itself...

Now I've been reading on just about every rom thread where people have been experiencing random reboots. Some think the new radio is the cause, but some people are on the new radio and have not experienced this. Others on the old radio still get random reboots.

Others think its the rom but people have noted this issue on most If not all of the rom threads.

Others think its the kernel that's causing it, but again, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to nail it down to a single kernel. Furthermore, some of these people are not OCing, myself included.

Which leads me to the strangest part of all this. My wife also has the TB. Her phone is totally stock and is not rooted. I got it for her day after launch and for the last few weeks, her phone has also been randomly rebooting. Not constantly, mind you. Just enough to be a nuisance. She has still not updated to OTA... The only suspect to this is that this appears to have started after the 4G outage a few weeks ago... And we are in a 3G only area but there was a day or so we could only connect to 1x...

So what's really causing these random reboots? I'm no expert, never claimed to be one, but is it possible that something going on between our phones and the Verizon network is causing this?

Thoughts... Ideas...?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nikolai2.1

May 16, 2010
I've had about six lock ups and reboots today since ehrpd has been back up

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

toebee76

Nov 16, 2010
I have had a few reboots across a few different rom, radio, and kernal combos. The only thing that all my reboots have had in common was I had GPS enabled. Ive yet to see a reboot with it off. Could just be a coincidence.

CellHabit

Feb 12, 2011
I have had a few reboots across a few different rom, radio, and kernal combos. The only thing that all my reboots have had in common was I had GPS enabled. Ive yet to see a reboot with it off. Could just be a coincidence.

GPS was also on when my phone rebooted... Google Maps was running.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

Last edited:

nkd

Aug 12, 2010
I have had no random reboots, or none that I have personally experienced. I figured if my phone was randomly rebooting I would have noticed a considerable battery drain. I have not noticed that yet. I honestly think that this might be an issue for people with little to no 4g coverage. I am bothered that this has not been addressed yet by verizon as I have seen so many people complain about this.

Hopefully I dont get these either, who knows may it is just phones that are may be defective hardware wise.

Xirix12

Mar 23, 2011
Well i just wanted to drop my $.02

I am Rooted and have been just about the same time the OP has been rooted.

I USED to have reboots. I install the full RUU and had reboots i also installed just the RADIO file and had reboots. I also reverted back to stock by the RUU provided by JCase. I Then flashed 1.6 followed 1.6.3 and have not had any problems. I assume that those 2 already had the radio file in them and i didn't not have to flash anything additional. Since being on 1.6 then 1.6.3 i have experienced not 1 reboot. Unless i did it myself.

I did notice then before when i did have the reboots (when i manually flashed RUU or just the RADIO file). I had reboots 3 different ways. I would either get a reboot when my phone had been sitting next to me for a while i would notice the white screen and know it was a reboot. Also the 2 other times was backing out of TapaTalk or native browser/dolphin HD.

So i don't know if that is in a way related. I just don't have them anymore.

BotsOne

Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
I noticed that whenever my phone would reboot (on the leaked radio only,) I had a weak 3g signal. I watched this happen several times. My guess would be the people who aren't having reboots are in an area where they constantly have a good signal. Can anyone else corroborate this?

m00nshake

Jun 7, 2010
North Carolina

This is a possibility... But if that's the case this will be the first Android device I've owned that has rebooted itself randomly due to GPS. Even the Samsung Vibrant, which had horrible GPS right out of the box, didn't reboot itself when it was turned on...

However, if this is the case, why has this only become a recent issue.. now my memory isn't so good... But I don't remember seeing much about this issue on rom threads until recently... I.e the past few weeks... Neither my wife's nor my phone randomly rebooted until just a few weeks ago, and we both have our GPS turned on everyday, all day...

rclark27

Jun 29, 2008
Fort Worth
I noticed that whenever my phone would reboot (on the leaked radio only,) I had a weak 3g signal. I watched this happen several times. My guess would be the people who aren't having reboots are in an area where they constantly have a good signal. Can anyone else corroborate this?
I live in a strong 3G area and my phone has never re-booted itself as far as I know. I'm doing the update tomorrow and will be interested to see if the problem starts.....I hope not.

CellHabit

Feb 12, 2011

Unfortunately, I had a solid signal when my phone rebooted this afternoon. I was a stone's throw from Philadelphia on I-95. I've never had signal issues along I-95 between New York and Philadelphia. I'm running the released update.

m00nshake

Jun 7, 2010
North Carolina

This as well is a possibility... Although I am in an area where 3g is strong... I have seen on my and my wife's phone... Even when standing still... That the 3g icon will vanish and come back seconds later...I am in a decent sized college town, population of about 70000... I couldn't say how strong 3g actually is but its everywhere in the city limits... And most of the countryside...

I have traveled to cities with strong 4g but I didnt stand around long enough in a single place to really watch the phone to see if it was dropping data...

Thanks for the constructive input, everyone... Lets keep the corroboration going and see if we can find a pattern..

BurnOne77

Mar 27, 2011
The only time I had reboot was on the leaked ruu which is now the OTA.
Once I went to BAMF 1.5 with new radio and new base no reboot. About a week ago I flashed back to stock radio just to compare after being on the new one for a while. I see nothing different between them really.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used to get frequent reboots when I used the leaked radio. I'm now using the new CDMA radio and old LTE radio combo, and have gotten NO random reboots since. It's been atleast about a month without a reboot. Also, I'm usually always in cdma auto prl, but never had a reboot when I switch to 4g.

Random reboots? Try this:

So a few weeks ago, Adrynalyne started a Radio thread.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1045081
    The first radio combo gave me random reboots. However, the 2nd radio combo works flawlessly. It's the one in the thread that is the new cdma radio (.7) + old LTE radio (.6). If you're frustrated with random reboots, try it. ... Thank adrynalyne for posting them.

I stopped mine

First I tried old cdma/new lte, then new cdma/old lte; both of those setups gave me reboots.

I went to old cdma/ old lte and haven't rebooted since.

Keep in mind you may need to flash the radio more than once, because it sometimes won't take(or will just still reboot)