[APP][2.2+] Droid Draw [v1.0.0] (8/31/2012)

Search This thread

craig@xatik

Mar 16, 2012
Twin Cities, MN
www.xatik.com
Hello everyone! Xatik Group is proud to present Droid Draw, the Turtle Graphics remake for Android!

If you would like a full description of the app please visit our website. Droid Draw | Xatik Group

And now on to a quick description.

Draw amazing complex shapes and patterns while learning the basics of programming with Droid Draw! Droid Draw is a twist on the original Turtle Graphics app that uses the LOGO programming language.

Not sure what Turtle Graphics and LOGO programming is? The original Turtle Graphics allowed a user to enter commands which represented what would be drawn out out on a Cartesian plane. Droid Draw brings this same functionality to Android users.

Not sure what to do? Make sure to check out the help section in the app. We have information on how to use the app and what every command does. Also, we are constantly adding to our website with interesting tips and tricks!

FEATURES
Besides just being able to enter commands and create an image, we have added some extra features:

** Animation: You can see where the pen is with the helpful DroidDraw mascot holding your pen.
** Sharing and Import/Export: Create an amazing image? Share it with your friends, set it as a background, or even send it as an email to us and we’ll display it on our website! Want to share how you made the image? Export the script and email that too!
** Refresh: Have some random values in your code? Hit the replay button to generate a new image.
** Zoom/Drag: Is your picture too small or in the wrong area? We have include pinch-to-zoom and dragging capabilities.
** Quick Command Entry: We have created a custom keyboard to make entering commands and values simple.
** Drag and Drop Commands: Put a command in the wrong spot? Simply drag it to where you want!
** Wakelock during Animation: Want to watch the full animation without touching your phone? We now keep the phone awake ONLY during the animation!

Permissions

** We require storage permission to cache the images you draw and share. You can view the saved images in this folder: /sdcard/Android/data/com.xatik.app.droiddraw.client/

** Wakelock Permission: This is required to keep the phone awake ONLY during animation

Changelog
More details here: Droid Draw Changelog |*Xatik Group

v1.0.0
  • Added better tutorials to each screen
  • Added more commands to the keyboard
    DIR​
    PT​
  • Changed example script names to start with ‘Ex_’
  • Import/Export scripts
  • New Option: Set Image as Background
  • New Option: Share image with Xatik – We will pick our favorites every week/month and post them on our website.
  • Keyboard now works in landscape
  • Bug Fix: Replay for larger resolution screens
  • Note: Droid Draw does not officially support Tablets or Small screen devices.

v1.1.1 Beta
  • Bug Fix: Higher Resolution screens could not see lines draw.

v1.1.0 Beta
  • Draggable commands
  • Auto scroll to new command
  • Wakelock during Animation
  • Fix force close when invalid command entered.

(Supports all android devices 2.2+)

p.s. This app is Open Source! You can find our code out on BitBucket here: https://bitbucket.org/XatikGroup/droiddraw

And of course the images:
DroidDraw_DrawScreen.png
DroidDraw_CommandScreen.png

DroidDraw_TutorialExScreen.png
DroidDraw_SharePopUpScreen.png

DroidDraw_SettingsScreen.png
DroidDraw_ScriptListSettingsScreen1.png

Last edited:

evil_penguin

Oct 29, 2011
Awesome thanks! Share it with your friends :)

Just a random note, since we at Xatik Group do not own Android Tablets, we were unable to do exhaustive testing. We apologize if the app does not look as good on a tablet.

just tried it..
Its great! i like it.
Good job!:good::good::good:

and sure i will recommend this app to all my friends!
Thanks for this awesome app :)

Reactions: craig@xatik

craig@xatik

Mar 16, 2012
Twin Cities, MN
www.xatik.com
Well we've had a few suggestions and we're working hard to implement the updates.

We have found one force close so far when a few invalid commands are entered.

We are hoping to have a new version of the app soon. Thank you everyone for testing!

If you have guys have any additional comments please feel free to share!

craig@xatik

Mar 16, 2012
Twin Cities, MN
www.xatik.com
Droid Draw has been updated with three new features and a bug fix! Get the latest version of Droid Draw (v1.1.0 Beta) on the Play Store!

New Features

• Draggable commands: You can now re-position the order commands are run by holding the drag icon on the right and moving the command up or down.
  • Auto scroll to new command: After you insert a new command, Droid Draw will automatically scroll to the new command
  • Wakelock during Animation: Frustrated when your phone shut off during an animation? We now keep your phone awake while Droid Draw is animating. Three seconds after Droid Draw is finished, the phone should go to sleep!

Bug Fix

• There was a known force close in the keyboard activity if a certain invalid command was entered. We hope to have that fixed now.

craig@xatik

Mar 16, 2012
Twin Cities, MN
www.xatik.com
I tried the app, works great on CM9.
Lost half an hour just learning the commands, addictive stuff! Now I know what to do in a bus/train :laugh:

I would like to be able to create my own wallpaper with this. Option to export as image file would be perfect addition! :)

Hi mikpel,

Sorry for the late reply, I guess I missed the notification.

I will definitely look in to that! As a quick workaround, you can use the share feature. As soon as you click share, a screenshot of the image should be taken.

If you look in: /sdcard/Android/data/com.xatik.app.droiddraw.client/
You should see the screen shot!

I will add this to the suggestion list for sure though to stream line this.

Thanks for testing our app!

craig@xatik

Mar 16, 2012
Twin Cities, MN
www.xatik.com
Hello Beta Testers!

This week, ending Friday the 17th, will be the final week of Beta testing for Droid Draw. This will have given everyone two weeks to test out our app and find any issues or suggestions they might have.

Once the Beta testing period has ended, we will shift our focus to fixing the issues found, adding some new features, and prepping the first official version of Droid Draw for release on August 31st.

Some of the issues and features that will be fixed/added for the official release are:
  • The redraw button on the image page does not work on phones with high resolution screens (ex. Galaxy Nexus), this will be fixed.
  • Addition of landscape keyboard.
  • Addition of two new commands. One to set the thickness of the pen and another to set the direction of the pen directly (instead of turning the pen a certain number of degrees from it's current position, you can directly set the pen to a given degree with respect to the screen).
  • Addition of tutorial pop-ups.
  • Addition for the ability to save an image as a wallpaper.
  • Addition for the ability to import/export scripts (ex. to share a script with others).
  • Addition for the ability to share screenshot with Xatik. We will then go through all of the submissions and put our favorite ones on our website for all to see!
We want this app to be the best it can possibly be, so if you have expierenced any other issues or have any suggestions for Droid Draw, please reply to this thread or go to our contact page and send us a message.

Stay tuned for more info as we approach our first official release!
For more details visit our site: http://www.xatik.com/2012/08/13/droid-draw-beta-status-update/

Reactions: myepicyear

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone! Xatik Group is proud to present Droid Draw, the Turtle Graphics remake for Android!

If you would like a full description of the app please visit our website. Droid Draw | Xatik Group

And now on to a quick description.

Draw amazing complex shapes and patterns while learning the basics of programming with Droid Draw! Droid Draw is a twist on the original Turtle Graphics app that uses the LOGO programming language.

Not sure what Turtle Graphics and LOGO programming is? The original Turtle Graphics allowed a user to enter commands which represented what would be drawn out out on a Cartesian plane. Droid Draw brings this same functionality to Android users.

Not sure what to do? Make sure to check out the help section in the app. We have information on how to use the app and what every command does. Also, we are constantly adding to our website with interesting tips and tricks!

FEATURES
    Besides just being able to enter commands and create an image, we have added some extra features:

** Animation: You can see where the pen is with the helpful DroidDraw mascot holding your pen.
    ** Sharing and Import/Export: Create an amazing image? Share it with your friends, set it as a background, or even send it as an email to us and we’ll display it on our website! Want to share how you made the image? Export the script and email that too!
    ** Refresh: Have some random values in your code? Hit the replay button to generate a new image.
    ** Zoom/Drag: Is your picture too small or in the wrong area? We have include pinch-to-zoom and dragging capabilities.
    ** Quick Command Entry: We have created a custom keyboard to make entering commands and values simple.
    ** Drag and Drop Commands: Put a command in the wrong spot? Simply drag it to where you want!
    ** Wakelock during Animation: Want to watch the full animation without touching your phone? We now keep the phone awake ONLY during the animation!

Permissions

** We require storage permission to cache the images you draw and share. You can view the saved images in this folder: /sdcard/Android/data/com.xatik.app.droiddraw.client/

** Wakelock Permission: This is required to keep the phone awake ONLY during animation

Changelog
    More details here: Droid Draw Changelog |*Xatik Group

v1.0.0
    • Added better tutorials to each screen
    • Added more commands to the keyboard
      DIR​
      PT​
    • Changed example script names to start with ‘Ex_’
    • Import/Export scripts
    • New Option: Set Image as Background
    • New Option: Share image with Xatik – We will pick our favorites every week/month and post them on our website.
    • Keyboard now works in landscape
    • Bug Fix: Replay for larger resolution screens
    • Note: Droid Draw does not officially support Tablets or Small screen devices.

v1.1.1 Beta
    • Bug Fix: Higher Resolution screens could not see lines draw.

v1.1.0 Beta
    • Draggable commands
    • Auto scroll to new command
    • Wakelock during Animation
    • Fix force close when invalid command entered.

(Supports all android devices 2.2+)

p.s. This app is Open Source! You can find our code out on BitBucket here: https://bitbucket.org/XatikGroup/droiddraw

And of course the images:
    DroidDraw_DrawScreen.png
    DroidDraw_CommandScreen.png

DroidDraw_TutorialExScreen.png
    DroidDraw_SharePopUpScreen.png

DroidDraw_SettingsScreen.png
    DroidDraw_ScriptListSettingsScreen1.png
    Cool!!!

I wad a LOGO programming lover, and this makes me feel happy :)

Thank you for this success :good:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Hi

Looks very interesting and a bit "retro", i like it!

Thanks for your efforts!
    Cool app. Just started playing with it today. :)

One issue I've noted on my HTC Incredible 4G LTE. Circles draw painfully slow. It takes about 20 seconds to draw one circle so if I'm using that in any kind of image it takes quite awhile to finish.

Other then that it works great. I just need to learn all of the commands. :silly:
    Good!
    will try it on my nexus.:good::good: :)