Nexus one Froze, Vibrates 7 Times, Wont Boot

Search This thread

Ahanix

Nov 2, 2009
So my nexus one froze today, and now whenever I pull the battery and put it back in, it will vibrate 7 times and wont boot. Is it bricked, or what can I do to fix this?

Thanks

jersey_609

Dec 3, 2007
What were u doin when this happened and what does the boot animation come up

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Ahanix

Nov 2, 2009
I opened up the navigation app and it froze. Puller the battery and had that problem. I then decided to pull the battery, press the power button a few times to discharge the phone and it booted back up. So hopefully it wont happen again

waylo

May 9, 2010
Same thing happened to me. I was experimenting with an undervolted kernel which up until then had been behaving well. Received a bunch of texts and notifications simultaneously. By the time I got to my phone, it had gone to sleep. I was able to power on, but the screen was completely unresponsive. The powering on was also very delayed. I couldn't shutdown with the power button so I pulled the battery.

It could only do a 7-vibrate boot/freeze every single time I pulled the battery and replaced it. Finally, with the above advice, I left it out for several minutes, hit the power button a few times, then replaced the battery and got it to finally boot.

Reactions: Chubby_Skunk

nicowagner

Apr 3, 2010
This happened to me today too, I took out my SD and it booted up just fine after that..not sure what happened. I checked my SD for errors but it didn't have any and had no problems after I put it back in.

behelit

Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
mine just did it now when i changed the sd card.
taking the card out doesn't help.
i'm guessing it thinks the battery is flat or something similar, will try charging.

edit: just kept trying and it eventually worked.

Last edited:

alexxed

Apr 24, 2010
Timișoara
www.alexxed.com
I have the same problem, hitting the power button does nothing, I leave the battery out for ~ 5 minutes and eventually get a fastboot screen and 7 times vibrate, but no control, power button, volume and trackball not working. I have to pull the battery out, wait another 5 minutes or so and try again.

Does anyone have a clue about what that 7 times vibrate means? sounds like an error code.

If after have pulled out the battery for 5 minutes I keep pressed the volume down and the power, I eventually have a fastboot working screen, but choosing recovery from the menu takes me back to the fastboot screen with 7 times vibrate. Taking the card out or the sim does not make a difference.

How did I get here: Was using Cyanogen 2.2, rooted, screen froze one day, pulled the battery out and here I am.

Tried to do a reset with volume down and power, it freezed during the procedure and now it won't boot at all.

Last edited:

alexxed

Apr 24, 2010
Timișoara
www.alexxed.com
I'm still able just to start in fastboot. Recovery and clear storage do nothing useful. Booting normally gives me the nexus logo for a while and then the screen blanks after a few seconds.

I can do fastboot flash boot, but I can't do fastboot flash system, it just says sending and that's it:

Code:
[root@ds1 apps]# ./fastboot erase userdata
erasing 'userdata'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
[root@ds1 apps]# ./fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'... OKAY
[root@ds1 apps]# ./fastboot flash boot Passion\ Google\ WWE\ 1.01.1700.1_ERD79/boot.img 
sending 'boot' (2044 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
[root@ds1 apps]# ./fastboot flash system Passion\ Google\ WWE\ 1.01.1700.1_ERD79/system.img 
sending 'system' (116663 KB)...

Any ideas anyone ?

Vakman

Jun 23, 2010
I'm still able just to start in fastboot. Recovery and clear storage do nothing useful. Booting normally gives me the nexus logo for a while and then the screen blanks after a few seconds.

I can do fastboot flash boot, but I can't do fastboot flash system, it just says sending and that's it:

Code:
[root@ds1 apps]# ./fastboot erase userdata
erasing 'userdata'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
[root@ds1 apps]# ./fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'... OKAY
[root@ds1 apps]# ./fastboot flash boot Passion\ Google\ WWE\ 1.01.1700.1_ERD79/boot.img 
sending 'boot' (2044 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
[root@ds1 apps]# ./fastboot flash system Passion\ Google\ WWE\ 1.01.1700.1_ERD79/system.img 
sending 'system' (116663 KB)...

Any ideas anyone ?

Since you said you were using CyanogenMod, I will assume you are using CM6 RC2 not that it matters now. So you are running a custom recovery right? Try to wipe everything, data, cache, and the dalvik cache. Then flash a different ROM, either stock or any other really to see if that helps.

sl8125

Mar 30, 2006
There are a batch of n1 that has this problem. I had bought a new att 3g version in june and returned it for a new. I also had the booting problem. It would constantly reboot or be stuck at the nexus boot logo. Its a hardware issue. Call google and they will transfer you to htc and work out a exchange or repair for you.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

alexxed

Apr 24, 2010
Timișoara
www.alexxed.com
Since you said you were using CyanogenMod, I will assume you are using CM6 RC2 not that it matters now. So you are running a custom recovery right? Try to wipe everything, data, cache, and the dalvik cache. Then flash a different ROM, either stock or any other really to see if that helps.

I'm trying to flash the stock image following the instructions here: #614850

Flashing hangs in various steps of flashing system.img, so I tried repeatedly until I succeeded, but still no success in booting afterwards, so I suspect I need to match the radio with the system as I've read that the radio boots before system. Right now I have FRF50 (4.06.00.12_7).

The problem is that once I leave the phone off for a while with battery in, the phone does not start in any mode (power, power + volume down, power + trackball) until I leave it with battery out for 2-3 days after which I can boot in any of the three modes above, the power button shows the nexus logo for a few seconds than the image scrambles and the phone goes off. If I choose to go in recovery I see the nexus logo forever.

Fastboot works, but as said, it hangs when flashing about 90% of the time.

I'll keep trying as sending off the phone for repair is a tricky option considering that I'm not in US, I haven't bought the phone from US, and so on.

chris6278

Jun 16, 2010
Ive had this problem for awhile. It first started when i updated to froyo. I called htc Tech support an they told me it was probably caused by an app but i dont know if thats true or not. Iam curious to know what the 7 vibrations mean

Last edited:

maxdadev

Oct 28, 2010
In case you can't/don't want to send it back for warranty repair, it seems that leaving the phone charging for 12-24 fixes the issue (though it might look dead during those hours).

alexxed

Apr 24, 2010
Timișoara
www.alexxed.com
In case you can't/don't want to send it back for warranty repair, it seems that leaving the phone charging for 12-24 fixes the issue (though it might look dead during those hours).

Tried that and almost anything I could have imagine. Finally I sent the phone to HTC and they were kind enough to repair it free of charge, I only paid for the shipping to them, they paid the shipping back.

The interesting part is that I got the same phone (it has the same IMEI), but locked again, so I guess that means there is a way to lock the phone back.

mixedlemon

Jun 27, 2009
I hate to revive an old thread, but it's probably better than making a new one about the same issue.

A friend of mine said this happened on his Nexus and now it won't boot past the "X" splash screen, and it vibrates 7 times. He gave it to me to try to fix, and I've done everything I can think of. When I try to use a PASSIMG.zip through Hboot the progress bar on the side fills, then it says "Checking PASSIMG.zip," but then it just returns to the Hboot screen.

I've tried using Fastboot to install Amon_Ra's recovery and Clockworkmod recovery, even a radio update, but any .img file I try tells me "FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)"

Has anyone found a fix for this, or have any suggestions?

If I have to call Google/htc can I still have it replaced, even if the bootloader has been unlocked, voiding the warranty?

Thanks.

mixedlemon

Jun 27, 2009
I have unlocked the bootloader. It says ***Unlocked*** at the top, it's still S-ON though.

I can't access recovery or ADB to tell if it's rooted or not, either. :confused:

*** UNLOCKED ***
NEXUSONE PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.33.0012
MICROP-0b15
RADIO-4.06.00.12_7

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same thing happened to me. I was experimenting with an undervolted kernel which up until then had been behaving well. Received a bunch of texts and notifications simultaneously. By the time I got to my phone, it had gone to sleep. I was able to power on, but the screen was completely unresponsive. The powering on was also very delayed. I couldn't shutdown with the power button so I pulled the battery.

It could only do a 7-vibrate boot/freeze every single time I pulled the battery and replaced it. Finally, with the above advice, I left it out for several minutes, hit the power button a few times, then replaced the battery and got it to finally boot.