[APP] Grid Size file manager

Search This thread

JustinBrew

Apr 13, 2011
This is my first android application. I was using an application for windows to view what was eating up my ssd and thought it would be nice to have something on android that could do that.

I also implemented file manager controls (copy,cut,paste,delete,rename,new folder).

As I said I'd really like some feedback, being my first app and all.

Free(ads): Grid Size File Manager Free
Demo(noads): **Unpublished** not needed with free version.
Paid(noads): Grid Size File Manager
(links in next post, thanks willverduzco)

From the app description (What it does!):
Grid Size file manager has all the functionality you expect from a file manager with a useful visual feature. The grid view graphically displays the contents of your storage drive proportional to the size of each folder and file. The grid view also supports image controls so that you can zoom and pan to view folders.

Standard list view is also available for the folder tree, useful for typical file manager functionality and for interacting with files and folders that are empty and thus not displayed in the grid view.

To begin, tap the "scan storage" button. After scan is complete, you are shown your folders via GridView. See below to access ListView. Tap on a colored box to open a folder, labeled via the lighter colored band at the top of each box. To open a file within a folder, simply tap that box and select "ok" when prompted to open that file.

You can zoom in at any time with a standard pinch zoom. You can also pan around by holding your finger down and dragging across the screen. Press and hold on a folder or file to interact with it. Available commands include: open, copy, cut, paste, rename, delete and new folder. Tap the back button on your phone to go back to the previous level of folders.

Grid-Size.jpg

Last edited:

psychomaniac189

Feb 27, 2009
Wisconsin
Here are my requests :)
"open folder location" in file manager controls
Add % in Grid mode

This app is petty kick ass. I've always wondered where the heck all my free space went

Last edited:
Reactions: JustinBrew

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
This saves me from mounting my phone and doing the same process with a desktop app. A+ application! Thanks a ton!

Antcodd

Jan 30, 2011
Great app, could do with smooth animations and zooming like DiskUsage, otherwise I think I prefer your app. Loads much faster than DiskUsage does! Will come in handy when frantically trying to free up some space to copy something to the SD card.

HTC Desire Leedroid 2.3d Froyo

JustinBrew

Apr 13, 2011
psycho_maniac, thanks for the suggestions!

Those would be pretty easy to implement. When you say open folder location you mean like you can type in a location and it will open it?

Or maybe even have some sort of search functionality would be pretty useful.

kdb, antcodd, thank you!

Last edited:

JustinBrew

Apr 13, 2011
ukanth, it has the kb indication on the grid folders and files. I does not have it in the list view. I could put the kb in the current folder status bar at the bottom but currently I only have the percentage of storage and folder name.

These are great suggestions! Keep them coming!

psychomaniac189

Feb 27, 2009
Wisconsin
psycho_maniac, thanks for the suggestions!

Those would be pretty easy to implement. When you say open folder location you mean like you can type in a location and it will open it?

Or maybe even have some sort of search functionality would be pretty useful.

kdb, antcodd, thank you!

No I mean like long press on a location, lets say i see the "media" folder in /sdcard/media" using 50% long pess on that grid and select "open folder location" and it opens "/sdcard/media" with your default file explorer and you can delete stuff.

JustinBrew

Apr 13, 2011
psycho_maniac, I'm not sure I see the usefulness. My app allows you to delete along with cut, copy, paste, rename and create new folder. Why would you need to open another app to do that?

ukanth

Recognized Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus X
What are people's thoughts on the price point for the paid version?
Couple of suggestions:

* Include to set option to show size in MB/GB in grid and list view
* I think it would be clear if lines are not there in list view (my personal opinion)
* Add folder properties option in menu

I'll be happy if its less than a dollar ($0.99) :D
If not also I'll buy ;)

Reactions: JustinBrew

JustinBrew

Apr 13, 2011
I like the idea for the mb/gb size option. And I really really like the idea for the the show properties!!

And thanks for the suggestion on price! Maybe I shot too high for my first app :p

It is now 0.99!!

Last edited:

Haldi4803

ukanth, it has the kb indication on the grid folders and files. I does not have it in the list view. I could put the kb in the current folder status bar at the bottom but currently I only have the percentage of storage and folder name.

These are great suggestions! Keep them coming!

Exactly what I'm missing! Size in bottom bar an list view (maybe at end and not right after %)
and an Option to change from KB to MB and GB.

Absolutely overkill would be that if its over 2048 kbyte its displayed in MB. And if its over 2048mb its gonna be displayed as GB. Maybe with one chifre after coma. Cuz i don't really care if i have 22189mb or 22190mb used in that folder. 22.2gb would suite better.

Also nice gimmick would be the amount of files in that folder ( list view )

Btw took 2-3 minutes to scan my 30gb! Not bad.

P.s. found a bug! (See picture) music folder is 21.6gb !

Link to the Picture

screenshot_60.png

Last edited:

JustinBrew

Apr 13, 2011
Good point on the size thing, and it would be really easy to implement. Like you said just an if statement.

And I can add it to the current directory too.
I don't see any pictures.

What are the thoughts on restricting the functionality of the free version. Now that the price barrier is lower I think it may be fair. Maybe limit the users to one file operation per day. Like one delete, rename, newfolder, paste a day with the free one.

What are your thoughts, I'm new to all this...

Haldi4803

I'm Free user.... means i dont have a credit card, so i never ever think about buying apps ^^ so price doesn't matter to me.

Limiting to Operations per Day would only make customers (if you call them so ^^) angry. Cuz most time you don't use this tool for 3 Weeks, and then again in one day you would like to sort your SD card and want to delet 5 folders!

If you want to bring customers to buy your app, make the "Delet" option only for Paid app :D Cuz its nice to move folders... but most people want to delet them (i think so)

Another idea: List view is sorted by Size? cant change do Alphabetical by pressing a button / settings ?

P.s Fixed image in other post ^^

dcwiker05

Dec 10, 2008
Ephrata PA
Sugestion: After entering a file or deleting a file and returning to the main screen have it stay zoomed in to the point you were at prior to entering or deleting a file. Right now if I go into something to delete an interior folder when I go back to the main screen I'm zoomed out to the max again where before entering the folder I may have been zoomed in 3/4X the orginal size.

JustinBrew

Apr 13, 2011
Well the problem with that is if you are deleting something in the sub folder when you return to the previous folder it will change size, and the whole grid may look a lot different. So I keep it zoomed out so you can see that difference.

OK SO List of updates I plan on working on in the following week:
Support for multiple sd cards (full)
Root folder (at least the ability to look at it for unrooted folks)(full)
Properties of folders/files (full)
Changing the size from KB to MB if larger than 1MB and from MB to GB if larger than 1GB (fixing the one size but with the huge folders displaying at like 2.2 KB instead of GB) (free&full)
Listing size of current dir in the grid (free&full)
Listing size in list view (free&full)
Ability to sort in list view by name (full)

Keep them coming!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my first android application. I was using an application for windows to view what was eating up my ssd and thought it would be nice to have something on android that could do that.

I also implemented file manager controls (copy,cut,paste,delete,rename,new folder).

As I said I'd really like some feedback, being my first app and all.

Free(ads): Grid Size File Manager Free
    Demo(noads): **Unpublished** not needed with free version.
    Paid(noads): Grid Size File Manager
    (links in next post, thanks willverduzco)

From the app description (What it does!):
    Grid Size file manager has all the functionality you expect from a file manager with a useful visual feature. The grid view graphically displays the contents of your storage drive proportional to the size of each folder and file. The grid view also supports image controls so that you can zoom and pan to view folders.

Standard list view is also available for the folder tree, useful for typical file manager functionality and for interacting with files and folders that are empty and thus not displayed in the grid view.

To begin, tap the "scan storage" button. After scan is complete, you are shown your folders via GridView. See below to access ListView. Tap on a colored box to open a folder, labeled via the lighter colored band at the top of each box. To open a file within a folder, simply tap that box and select "ok" when prompted to open that file.

You can zoom in at any time with a standard pinch zoom. You can also pan around by holding your finger down and dragging across the screen. Press and hold on a folder or file to interact with it. Available commands include: open, copy, cut, paste, rename, delete and new folder. Tap the back button on your phone to go back to the previous level of folders.

Grid-Size.jpg
    Here are my requests :)
    "open folder location" in file manager controls
    Add % in Grid mode

This app is petty kick ass. I've always wondered where the heck all my free space went
    What are people's thoughts on the price point for the paid version?
    Couple of suggestions:

* Include to set option to show size in MB/GB in grid and list view
    * I think it would be clear if lines are not there in list view (my personal opinion)
    * Add folder properties option in menu

I'll be happy if its less than a dollar ($0.99) :D
    If not also I'll buy ;)