[Q] Backing up

Search This thread

redrover69

Sep 2, 2013
South Florida
So...

The question here...coming from iPhone...

How or what is the best way to backup your note 3?

using iTunes was seemless. Plug and play basically.

Kies offers that but for some reason it just doesnt work right on my mac. Ive tried on 3 different macs and its the same thing.
I even tried Kies in a VM in windows on a mac and its unreliable at best.

Suggestions???

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
So...

The question here...coming from iPhone...

How or what is the best way to backup your note 3?

using iTunes was seemless. Plug and play basically.

Kies offers that but for some reason it just doesnt work right on my mac. Ive tried on 3 different macs and its the same thing.
I even tried Kies in a VM in windows on a mac and its unreliable at best.

Suggestions???

Here's a suggestion, sell your mac's!

On a serious note, what are you trying to backup?

The best overall "device" backup is called a "nandroid" backup but requires a custom recovery.

To backup contacts, gmail is the best. Coupled with Google drive all your pics and documents can be backed up in one place.

Personally I use a western digital network drive (personal cloud). All my pics, videos, and music are automatically backed up by themselves. I can access them ANYwhere!

Other people might recommend other apps like Dropbox.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Oh one more thing, Google play music is awesome for music! It gives you 10,000 songs worth of free cloud storage so you can access your music on ANY device!

redrover69

Sep 2, 2013
South Florida

The best overall "device" backup is called a "nandroid" backup but requires a custom recovery.

To backup contacts, gmail is the best. Coupled with Google drive all your pics and documents can be backed up in one place.

Personally I use a western digital network drive (personal cloud). All my pics, videos, and music are automatically backed up by themselves. I can access them ANYwhere!

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Oh one more thing, Google play music is awesome for music! It gives you 10,000 songs worth of free cloud storage so you can access your music on ANY device!

LOL Im not gonna get into a mac vs winders....

Ya looking for device backup...so if my phone crashes or I get another phone and want to restore this exactly as is to the new phone...
like all of my settings wifi, app data etc.

Photos and music are easy thats dropbox and google music etc.

btw can you get google drive to sync photos like dropbox?

Thanks

wudien

Feb 15, 2012
Columbia

Is 20k songs free storage. And I made a topic like this last week

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

redrover69

Sep 2, 2013
South Florida
Is 20k songs free storage. And I made a topic like this last week

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

You made a topic kinda like it...your topic isnt the same question Im asking...

My device still has plenty of storage on it. All I am looking to do is back up my phone and be able to restore that back up to another phone or the same phone and when it restores you wont be able to tell the difference from one phone to another.

Similar to what itunes does with the iphones

Thanks

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net

My device still has plenty of storage on it. All I am looking to do is back up my phone and be able to restore that back up to another phone or the same phone and when it restores you wont be able to tell the difference from one phone to another.

Thanks

I'm sorry to say that kies is exactly what you're looking for. Kies has saved my butt numerous times over the years. I like to root and flash custom roms. Sometimes things don't go right and kies was there to fix me up! When I changed over from note 1, to note 2, to note 3, kies transferred everything I needed. It sucks that your having trouble with it. Maybe a mac user will come along with some tips or suggestions.

Just so you know... Google playstore keeps track of ALL the apps you've ever installed. If you click the menu and go to "my apps" it shows 2 tabs. One is installed currently, the other tab is what you've previously installed. So it can jog your memory about that app you previously installed 4 yrs ago! Also under the settings menu in the general section there's a "backup and reset" section. If you have those items checked and change roms, all your apps will start to re-install themselves. You can even view installed apps, and install new apps from a computers webpage https://play.google.com/store?hl=en&tab=w8 Just sign in with the same google account that's on your device.

redrover69

Sep 2, 2013
South Florida
I'm sorry to say that kies is exactly what you're looking for. Kies has saved my butt numerous times over the years. I like to root and flash custom roms. Sometimes things don't go right and kies was there to fix me up! When I changed over from note 1, to note 2, to note 3, kies transferred everything I needed. It sucks that your having trouble with it. Maybe a mac user will come along with some tips or suggestions.

Just so you know... Google playstore keeps track of ALL the apps you've ever installed. If you click the menu and go to "my apps" it shows 2 tabs. One is installed currently, the other tab is what you've previously installed. So it can jog your memory about that app you previously installed 4 yrs ago! Also under the settings menu in the general section there's a "backup and reset" section. If you have those items checked and change roms, all your apps will start to re-install themselves. You can even view installed apps, and install new apps from a computers webpage https://play.google.com/store?hl=en&tab=w8 Just sign in with the same google account that's on your device.

Ok so...I went to google play store to see what you were talking about. There is an installed tab and an all tab. So I knew about that its cool...

In the backup part under general I have it set to backup my data IE wifi settings and app data and other settings to google servers. I havent needed to restore yet. Im assuming that when there is a restore its almost like youre using the phone exactly how it was prior to the restore.

Also I was looking at gobackup? or titanium backup? Thoughts on those?

IDK also maybe my text message folder might be real large could be hanging up stuff too? I never delete the texts and mms.

wudien

Feb 15, 2012
Columbia

Thanks

Okay. Rooting your device might be the best bet. Its quite simple and is done in a matter of clicks. You would then be able to create a nandroid backup and use Titanium Backup. As 440bro stated, root and TB are very powerful and should not be toyed with aimlessly - you could really mess up your phone. This topic makes me realize that google should really implement a standard way of backing everything up because this is ridiculous! (but they will probably use Google+ :/)

duhbanjopicker

Nov 14, 2011
Arlington, TX
I never had good luck with Mac and android in general. Even VMWare won't cut it. I eventually built a cheap windows machine and all I use it for is my android devices. Sorry couldn't be more help.

Sent from my ME301T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app